hearing assist dog

TAMI SAM

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has every had a dog for hearing help.I know on the menieres site i used to belong to someone did but that was so long ago I cant remember how they did with one.

Family dog to hearing dog!

Tami,

I have not had a hearing dog but my dog has recently started nudging my face to wake me up when my alarm clock goes off. This will be a big help so I am going to encourage this by rewarding him. I got him as a rescue and I now realize I got more than I expected in a dog.

jpg.
[/IMG]

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!

I had an english springler spainel. I had shown her my hearing aid, turn it on (whistling) and make her smell the mold (smells like me) and then make her smell my ear and then insert my HA while sitting on the floor with her. I did this several times when she was a puppy. It was my way of telling her that my ear / hearing is amiss. Later as she got older, when the alarm went off, she would jump on the bed near my chest and move her paws. Strange? As if she was trying to pat the mattress. Plus the vibrating alarm is going off. I guess she put it all together in her mind. I was forever grateful to this dog. Many times when someone was at the door, she would come up to me and bark in front of me and run to the door and come back to me, keep repeating this route. I taught her many signs and no voice. She was the best dog I ever had and I've had many.
Do you teach your dog that you are deaf?

Wow what wonderful and smart dogs you have! No this is a dog I have now that I took in after having to put my old girl Taffy to sleep.She was 15 yrs old and such a good dog.She always let me know anytime someone was at the door. very protective as she knew something was amiss.This dog now was already 1 yr.old and the girl that had her worked nights slept all day.I dont think she spent much time with her as she didnt know how to even act like a dog or part of a family.Unfortunately she isnt very smart.Now as I get worse hearing wise and with my husband back to work since I havent quailified for a CI I have to figure out how to make it on my own.So Im thinking maybe of looking into a hearing assiting dog.Would mean I would have to get rid of the dog I have now,thats the hard part.But would probably make my life so much easier.My best friends husband went blind and I went to stay with her while her husband trained at Seeing Eye,it was truly an incredible experience.

I don't, but I know some here do. How old is your dog? If it's the "right" sort of dog, you MIGHT be able to put it into training to become a hearing dog, but that would require putting aside your thoughts of it as a "pet", which can be hard. Otherwise, you'll probably face long waiting lists for your dog. Some will charge minimal fees, while other programs expect you to gain sponsorship for the dog. You'll need to receive special training to learn how to interact and make use of your dog.

It's a long and sometimes frustrating road, but many people would agree that it's rewarding. Look into it if you think it's your thing.

Hmm. nope this dog is 6 and just not that smart I hate to say it.Constantly runs away every chance she gets.I cant break her of that no matter how hard I try. Wouldnt want to take a chance on putting hours of training into her although Im sure she wouldnt even qualify.I guess I'll have to look into it if it takes that long.

Wow what wonderful and smart dogs you have!

No, this dog I have now is new, after having to put my old girl, Taffy, to sleep. She was 15 yrs old and such a good dog. She always let me know anytime someone was at the door. Very protective, as she knew something was amiss.

This dog now was already 1 yr old and the girl that had her worked nights slept all day. I don't think she spent much time with her, as she didn't know how to act like a dog or part of a family. Unfortunately, she isn't very smart.

Now as my hearing gets worse and my husband back to work, I haven't quailified for a CI. I have to figure out how to make it on my own. So I'm thinking maybe of looking into a hearing dog. Would getting one mean I would have to get rid of the dog I have now? But, would it make my life so much easier? My best friend's husband went blind and I went to stay with her while her husband trained a seeing eye, it was truly an incredible experience.

TAMI SAM,

Sorry for the editing of what you were trying to say, as it was very choppy and needed to be cleaned up.

First, as a trainer for my own hearing dog, any dog that is curious to sound will qualify for a hearing dog. Snickers (pictured with me at left) is such a dog. She's Akita/German Shepherd and is naturally curious to sound. Yes, she is also protective of me, which can be worked on.

Second, you don't say anything about the breed your new dog is or anything, so it would be difficult to say if the training is worth it. Dogs each have different personalities, so to compare your new dog to the old one is really not fair, as you've already given it three strikes and it is out . . . without any training, no less.

Third, as I mentioned free of charge, any dog would be able to be a hearing dog for you. Do you know how to train? If not, there are many places. Here are just a few: Train Your Own Dog Service Dogs Lend Me an Ear by Martha Hoffman and Mark Anderson : Booksamillion.com (0944875564, Paperback)

Lastly, do not be deceived: There is no such thing, under the ADA, that states a hearing dog HAS to be "certified." This is a marketing gimmic by training programs, perhaps the ones that I referred to you above. Do not even waste your time on them. However, Dana's website is a top notch place to go, as there are forums there and they talk about everything. Go there and tell them Pete (that's me) (aka pke1) told you to go. Greet them for me, too!

Hmm. Nope, this dog is 6 and just not that smart I hate to say it. Constantly runs away every chance she gets. I can't break her of that no matter how hard I try. Wouldn't want to take a chance on putting hours of training into her although I'm sure she wouldn't even qualify. I guess I'll have to look into it if it takes that long.

Sounds like YOU have sealed the dog's fate. I bet that if I had that dog, in ONE WEEK, maximum two weeks, I would have that dog trained so well that you would not recognize it.

Yes, I am that good.

Lastly, do not be deceived: There is no such thing, under the ADA, that states a hearing dog HAS to be "certified." This is a marketing gimmic by training programs, perhaps the ones that I referred to you above.

Mhm- no dogs NEED certification. As long as they serve a function to mitigate disability, they're a service dog. Training them isn't easy, and I probably wouldn't suggest it with a dog that old, but it's not impossible- it just takes time and patience. For some, because the tasks their dog does are very complex, getting a service dog through a specialized program IS the best option.

Well, I'm not trying to seal her fate.She's a American Pitbull which is why I didnt mention it because they have gotten a bum wrap and I dont want to hear it.Yes I would have to get rid of her as she loves people but fights with other dogs along with my place is very very small and there just isnt the room. I do know alot about dogs as well as my Dad is a Professional Dog Handler and Breeder. I grew up at dog show taking my naps in crates. By the way Seeing Eye is a Place in Morristown N.J. I appreciate your help with a website but would appreciate it if you wouldnt "clean up my thread as I know what Im saying and have a good grip on the english language" I have had this dog for 5 yrs. I believe she may have been abused as any loud talking or yelling sends her into a panic and she shakes and is absolutely scared to death.That is not a good sign. She is a pet and loved and was saved from being either put out on the streets or death.

The Seeing Eye is a school in Morristown, New Jersey who trains guide dogs for the blind.

Tami Sam: Are there any schools in your area who train hearing dogs? If so, perhaps one of their trainers would be willing to come to your home to train your dog.

Mhm- no dogs NEED certification. As long as they serve a function to mitigate disability, they're a service dog. Training them isn't easy, and I probably wouldn't suggest it with a dog that old, but it's not impossible- it just takes time and patience. For some, because the tasks their dog does are very complex, getting a service dog through a specialized program IS the best option.
So, you're saying that I could just "claim" that my pet dog is my service dog? If that was the case, I would be abusing my right and ruining the rights of others.

Well, I'm not trying to seal her fate.She's a American Pitbull which is why I didnt mention it because they have gotten a bum wrap and I dont want to hear it.Yes I would have to get rid of her as she loves people but fights with other dogs along with my place is very very small and there just isnt the room. I do know alot about dogs as well as my Dad is a Professional Dog Handler and Breeder. I grew up at dog show taking my naps in crates. By the way Seeing Eye is a Place in Morristown N.J. I appreciate your help with a website but would appreciate it if you wouldnt "clean up my thread as I know what Im saying and have a good grip on the english language" I have had this dog for 5 yrs. I believe she may have been abused as any loud talking or yelling sends her into a panic and she shakes and is absolutely scared to death.That is not a good sign. She is a pet and loved and was saved from being either put out on the streets or death.

Then the dog needs more training. You need to socialize the dog, but only in an obedience school setting. Five years old is not too old, unless the owner/handler thinks they are too old to train a dog like this. Your dad is a dog handler, what does he say? He should have a ton of contacts to help you out.

As for the editing, I didn't do it now, but you need to punctuate and spell right. Being deaf/hoh has its disadvantages, but spelling and proper punctuation shouldn't be claimed as a disability. There are books out there to help you with this.

Hi Hear Again and LTHF.Thanks for responding and Im going to get that book. I have tried some things with my dog and she has absolutley no interest in noises. My son was watching out neighbors dog and I had an itch in my ear so popped out my HA. Of course the feedback was whistling away, well that dog just went nuts with curiosity.That being said after going on many sites and investigating I have decided not to pursue getting a dog. I think I really need a dog that is for protection with my husband working nights.The hearing dogs are strickly for working ex:doorbell,knock on door. I will just buy some electronic devices to help with those problems.So, Im just going to keep my dumb but loveable dog.By the way,there are no other dogs allowed in the home if you decide to get a dog for the deaf and you must have a fenced in yard. You also must be healthy to exercise dog daily which Im not with the Meneieres disease. My dad lives in Seattle and was out and thought she was a beautiful dog but alas stupid.I asked him about breeding her and he said "Stupid dogs have stupid pups"Kind of a running joke in our home. Now off topic - Pete Im sorry Im so stupid that my horrible grammar and spelling are so displeasing to you.(Like I care) I have only gone Deaf last year, so this isnt my problem that I didnt get a proper education. What can it be Pete? Gee, I was really only here for friendship and support.This is ALLDEAF not ALLGRAMMARandPuncuation. I didnt realize I had to watch everything I typed.You are a small, small man. Please stay off my threads and I will have the same curtesy back to you! I dont like you. I find you arrogant and small minded and extremely rude! I hope you could understand that with all the typo's and poor punctuation. Find someone else to hassle and back off Jack!

As for the editing, I didn't do it now, but you need to punctuate and spell right. Being deaf/hoh has its disadvantages, but spelling and proper punctuation shouldn't be claimed as a disability. There are books out there to help you with this.

Pek1, since your profile states that are you a writer, I am sure that your pet peeve is incorrect grammar. However, this particular topic is not about proper punctuation and capitalization. I hardly constitute this forum as a ground for formal literary works. I feel that there was no reason to make a special notation in a post regarding proper spelling and grammar other then to appear obnoxious and to showcase that you are proficient in the English language. Clearly, you have proven it, but there is no need to mock others that are not up to your professional literary standards.

With that being said, I have a Shih Tzu name Bella who alerts me if anything is around my house, my car, my bedroom or down the block. Shih Tzu's were bred to alert the guards of the temple if there was an intruder by barking. She has exhibited signs of alerting me by sitting on me and licking my face if she hears my alarm go off and I do not get up. She does wonders for me.

Correct, there is a good FAQ on the topic in very easy to read language (i.e. not legalese, which I am unfortunately fluent in) at

Service Animal Information

The only requirement is that the animal have been "trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability" -- you do not have to provide proof of the training, in facts, dogs who are IN training also qualify.

Sheri

Now off topic - Pete I'm sorry Im so stupid that my horrible grammar and spelling are so displeasing to you.(Like I care) I have only gone Deaf last year, so this isn't my problem that I didn't get a proper education. What can it be Pete? Gee, I was really only here for friendship and support. This is ALLDEAF not ALLGRAMMARandPuncuation. I didn't realize I had to watch everything I typed.

As long as AD is located in the United States, we all have the First Amendment rights. You don't need to get personal, as I did not to you. You one very unhappy puppy, huh? And the proper name is ALLGRAMMARANDPUNCTUATIONDOTCOM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::bowlol::bowlol::bowlol::bowlol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::P:P:P

You're still a newbie, honey. Stick around and we'll have more fun together!!!

Furthermore, TAMI SAM, you had posted a question to a thread and I answered it. I have extensive experience in training and everything associated with it, so don't act like a baby, okay? If you don't want to ask a question, then don't expect a reply from anyone. There are a lot of people here that have way more experience and know how than you and me. Saying "I don't like you" sounds like you're a little kid; however, I presume you're an adult or almost one, right? Don't burn your bridges with people here that you don't know. You're still new. Keep reading, posting and asking questions, this is the only way to find out information. Take the information for what it's worth and then go on.

Back