Hearing Aids & Moisture

I have both Global dry and store (with UV light) and Zephyr. My Global is nearly 3 years old and had gone to Austria where my parents lives and the zephyr (one year old) is currently in my living room in UK. We are currently experiencing torrential rain and 98% humidity! with temps of 20's, it's horrible weather (but good for my vegatbles patch :))

The global is slightly louder than the zephyr. The zephyr is half the size and weight of global hence my decision to swap as I don't just go to austria alot I also travel all over places Peru/morocco trip planned for 2012 and all over UK to see friends/walking with dogs/ sailing etc, zephyr is much lighter, smaller and does same job as global. Zephyr is cheaper than Global.

The UV light... i am not sure if it made any difference as both boxes circulate very warm air, I am prone to ear infections, I had a lot before my CI days (i still wear HA in other ear), since then I had ONE infection in the first year with Global but none since. Both boxes do improve the quality of HA and CI, I do notice if I don't put it in the box for few days.

The bricks have same length of life for both boxes.

I have dessicant Discs that changes pink/blue when dried/full of moisture, it got metal casing so obviously I cannot use it in the microwave so i use it very little (i take it with me when i go day sailing as if i get wet, it goes straight in until i get home then into the dry and store)

When looking for info on zephyr i found this on connevans webite (Uk's hearing retailer)

Reduce repairs and enjoy better sound quality from your hearing aids - Zephyr uses the most effective drying technology of hearing instruments of all types.

Zephyr is the new member of the Dry & Store family!

Zephyr operates on an 8-hour cycle, and utilizes warm, moving air and a Dry-Brik II desiccant - proven technology for maximum drying effectiveness. A ball-bearing fan continuously circulates warm, dry air for the entire operating cycle, causing moisture to move out of the hearing instruments by diffusion. Zephyr by Dry & Store® does not include the germicidal cycle that its larger siblings share, but it does have the same renowned drying and deodorizing benefit.

Zephyr is a drying box for all types of hearing instruments - traditional hearing aids as well as cochlear implant equipment, noise maskers, ear monitors, and more. Best results are achieved with in-home use every night. While you sleep, it removes damaging moisture accumulation, dries earwax, and deodorizes your hearing instruments.

Regular use can actually help to reduce repairs - manufacturers report that perhaps half of the hearing aids they receive for repair are malfunctioning due to moisture or earwax. Other benefits are reduced instances of fuzzy or distorted sound and prolonged battery life.

The compact size and light weight of the Zephyr, make it easily portable and ideal for household use.

•Easy to use
•Captures both moisture and odour
•Compact and lightweight
•Zephyr works while you sleep
•For use worldwide
The biggest single difference between the new Zephyr and it's original 'big brother' the Dry & Store, is that the Zephyr does not include the germicidal UV lamp which is an integral part of the Dry & Store.

Supplied complete with 1 Dry-Brik II tablet and 230V ac 50Hz power supply adaptor with 1m lead.

Dry-Brik II tablet: 76 x 41 x 15mm should last about 2 months.

Normally haven't had issues but the other day I was outside for 2 hours and it was humid and I was getting really static sounding. Thanks for your input. Best of luck with the product. Hope you like it! Thanks for sharing…

Define "best." I use an inexpensive thing that's basically a plastic jar with a pad of crystals that absorb moisture on the bottom. The crystals change color to tell you when you need to "refresh" it by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. This is about as low-tech as you can get.

There are some much fancier systems out there that include germ-killing lights and other features.

Objectively, I'd say you get what you pay for. The expensive systems are probably "best." My cheapie version is probably "good enough."

Maybe in Texas it might be worth springing for the expensive things.

Look at this site and read down. Towards the bottom, click on "Global" and "Zephyr" for some examples of high-tech systems.

Hearing Aid Batteries Express, Buy Hearing Aid Batteries & Coclear Implant Batteries Online

I agree with Beach Girl. I'm in the weather all the time because of band. Usually I'll carry a plastic bowl with me and have a hankie or Kleenex or whatever is fabric and i'll put that pad jelly crystals thing in the bowl. I'll use it if i need to put my CI's in the bowl for some predicted rain. I have a Dry-store box that i'll use at night to get the moisture out of my CI's. I'll leave them in all night until the time I get up from bed. It's especially handy for me because it can keep your microphone filters pretty clean and you don't always have to change it unless you need to for whatever reason.

I've now been using the Dry and Store thing for about the last 3 weeks. Eh - I'm not sure that it's all that much better than what I was using, honestly. My tubes right now are clogged (melted ear wax, looks like), so have to go to the audi to have them changed.

That's another thing I have to do - go to the site Bottesini mentioned and order myself a bunch of tubing, but I'm not positive what size I need, so will ask the audi and then order myself some.

I remember hearing aid on sometimes on moisture dry on hearing aid because prevent to wet reason otherwise damager something serious I can feeling wax 0_o

Another product to consider: Hal-Hen Super Dri-Aid dehumidifier

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I've now been using the Dry and Store thing for about the last 3 weeks. Eh - I'm not sure that it's all that much better than what I was using, honestly. My tubes right now are clogged (melted ear wax, looks like), so have to go to the audi to have them changed.

That's another thing I have to do - go to the site Bottesini mentioned and order myself a bunch of tubing, but I'm not positive what size I need, so will ask the audi and then order myself some.

Try Microsonic. Very good prices.

This may sound odd to some, but the size you should use is dependent on the severity of your loss, believe it or not. Has to do with feedback, humidity, earmold, etc. I use the #13 double-wall for my severe-profound levels.

Is Microsonic the place you posted about a few days ago? I was just looking for that post and link and couldn't find it.

Edited: I just went to the Microsonic site and don't see "tubing" anyplace. It seems to be all about ear molds. Am I in the right place??

Edited again: finally found it, in the "Accessories Catalog" pdf file. They don't make it easy to find, but once there, that catalog is extensive!

When I first got the nucleus 5 on my activation day, the hospital provided us a traveller's Dry-store box which can probably fit up to 2 CI's and 2 HA's. It looks like this: zephyr.jpg

I use it for when I travel to band competitions overnight or when i'm on vacation going somewhere with my family. very handy!

You don't use it at home? Does that work on the same principle, with the dry brick things, and warm air circulating?

Is Microsonic the place you posted about a few days ago? I was just looking for that post and link and couldn't find it.

Edited: I just went to the Microsonic site and don't see "tubing" anyplace. It seems to be all about ear molds. Am I in the right place??

Edited again: finally found it, in the "Accessories Catalog" pdf file. They don't make it easy to find, but once there, that catalog is extensive!

I'm sorry for not providing the link above. It wasn't a PDF file, though ..

Here it is: Microsonic, Inc. - Earmold Tubing, Accessories & Supplies

That one above brings you to the main tubing page.

This one is just the tubing only: Microsonic, Inc. - NAEL Standard Tubing Sizes (Single Bend Quilled)

Feel free to ask any questions (here or PM) if you have any. I've only ordered from them once thus far, but I can't tell you how happy I am with this so far! :)

hi everyone

thanks for the input on the dry aids...I use rice in a jar myself in California.

My question is this.

Hubby and I are thinking of moving to the East Coast (south carolina) but I fear the humidity on my ears? I went to Hawaii once for a week and lost them totally...

ideas? suggestion on good aids? I know it must be done, right? I wear them all the time with exception of sleep/shower.

any suggestions would be great.

hi everyone

:naughty:thanks for the input on the dry aids...I use rice in a jar myself in California.

My question is this.

Hubby and I are thinking of moving to the East Coast (south carolina) but I fear the humidity on my ears? I went to Hawaii once for a week and lost them totally...

ideas? suggestion on good aids? I know it must be done, right? I wear them all the time with exception of sleep/shower.

thanks for the input on the dry aids...I use rice in a jar myself in California.

My question is this.

some of us has Nadias (will find out next week for me)

I have the Nadia Q HA, and was told by my audio that they are very water resistant. Like, accidently getting in the shower with them on wouldn't hurt them. I'm still new with Ha's, and know to keep them dry, but the weather has been really humid/rainy in my area, no problems with Nadia Q

Define "best." I use an inexpensive thing that's basically a plastic jar with a pad of crystals that absorb moisture on the bottom. The crystals change color to tell you when you need to "refresh" it by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. This is about as low-tech as you can get.

There are some much fancier systems out there that include germ-killing lights and other features.

Objectively, I'd say you get what you pay for. The expensive systems are probably "best." My cheapie version is probably "good enough."

Maybe in Texas it might be worth springing for the expensive things.

Look at this site and read down. Towards the bottom, click on "Global" and "Zephyr" for some examples of high-tech systems.

Hearing Aid Batteries Express, Buy Hearing Aid Batteries & Coclear Implant Batteries Online

I mentioned those electric thingys to my audi and she said the basic plastic container with something round and yellow in it was the best as it draws things out like a suction, rather than the slow action of the thingy!

I mentioned those electric thingys to my audi and she said the basic plastic container with something round and yellow in it was the best as it draws things out like a suction, rather than the slow action of the thingy!

My electric dry n store is by far better then a plastic container with a tablet in. If the plastic container is all what some people can afford as the electric ones are expensive then they are better then nothing but I do personally think my electric dry n store is working so much better in terms of keeping my Naidas dry.

My electric dry n store is by far better then a plastic container with a tablet in. If the plastic container is all what some people can afford as the electric ones are expensive then they are better then nothing but I do personally think my electric dry n store is working so much better in terms of keeping my Naidas dry.

I have had no trouble with moisture damage since buying the Dry and Store. I am on the second one now, and they do have a brick of the yellow stuff, they are just much more efficient, plus I like the idea of the UV cycle.

I have had no trouble with moisture damage since buying the Dry and Store. I am on the second one now, and they do have a brick of the yellow stuff, they are just much more efficient, plus I like the idea of the UV cycle.

What does the UV cycle do?

I have the Dry n Store-- I need to dig it out of one of my boxes now that summer is here and am getting more moisture than I did last summer.

I used to have a container of those little beads that turn blue when activated in the oven. It worked okay but it is a ROYAL PAIN in the tooshie to deal with all those tiny beads plus I could only really fit in one hearing aid- actually both but you had to take off the earmold (defeating the purpose as that's where a lot of the moisture is lol.

I also have a bulb thing to blow the moisture out of the tube.. that works super but can't carry the thing around lol

Found this site while I was lazily looking for a pic of the air bulb..

Hearing Aids, Cochlear Implants, & Moisture

Ah! I have two similar to this one. (one is red and smaller, the other I have is dark blue and bigger- have had it for..hm... over 20 years now I think)

http://www.hansaton-usa.com/drying_HADEO_blower_bulb.php

Back