Hearing Aids & Moisture

InfamousMacBook

Reaction score
Alright, so I have had hearing loss since August 2006 and have never once used a decassant or machine to remove moisture. Granted I live in Texas where we heat, heat, heat, humidity, heat, and a whole lot of sweat. (No 10 Gallon Hats.) I have been thinking of getting something for my hearing aids which I normally do not wear all day or to long. Maybe like 9-10 hours a day at most during the week and hardly none at weekend. What would be the best? Let me know. Thanks

Define "best." I use an inexpensive thing that's basically a plastic jar with a pad of crystals that absorb moisture on the bottom. The crystals change color to tell you when you need to "refresh" it by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. This is about as low-tech as you can get.

There are some much fancier systems out there that include germ-killing lights and other features.

Objectively, I'd say you get what you pay for. The expensive systems are probably "best." My cheapie version is probably "good enough."

Maybe in Texas it might be worth springing for the expensive things.

Look at this site and read down. Towards the bottom, click on "Global" and "Zephyr" for some examples of high-tech systems.

Hearing Aid Batteries Express, Buy Hearing Aid Batteries & Coclear Implant Batteries Online

Another option is to get the Dry n Store.

I use Dry & Store for my hearing aids too. Since using it, the number of ear infections I get have reduced. But it's the more expensive solution (but a lot cheaper than the actual hearing aid!).

BTW My wife said it gives a low humming noise, so it may be annoying if you share your bed with a hearing person.

Another option is to get the Dry n Store.

and the only option :lol:

it's non-negotiable because HA is a thousand dollars device. Protect it and make it last longer with Dry n' Store.

I use Dry & Store for my hearing aids too. Since using it, the number of ear infections I get have reduced. But it's the more expensive solution (but a lot cheaper than the actual hearing aid!).

BTW My wife said it gives a low humming noise, so it may be annoying if you share your bed with a hearing person.

yea - simply put it in other room or move it further away from bed.

I'm sure the Dry N Store is less annoying then a fan on speed 2. I'll look into it. I normally haven't had issues but the other day I was outside for 2 hours and it was humid and my HA was getting really static sounding. Thanks for your input.

I'm sure the Dry N Store is less annoying then a fan on speed 2. I'll look into it. I normally haven't had issues but the other day I was outside for 2 hours and it was humid and my HA was getting really static sounding. Thanks for your input.

Yes it is quieter than a fan. I can't hear it with my hearing aids on and was really surprised when my wife said it made a noise.

x2 on the Dry and Store....I received the Zephyr model with my CI and use it faithfully everynight....you will have to replace the Dri-Briks about every two months so they say...I think they are like $10 for 3.

The noise is very faint...only thing I dont like about it is the smell of the CI in the morning has a bit of a chemical/plasticy smell to it, that fades as it cools though. And I cant really smell it from where it is on my head anyways.

The CI also came with a very basic container with a desicant puck....I use it when I travel cause its smaller and I dont need the cords etc..

Before the "Dry & Store" my father used to put a dinner plate on the lamp shade, then line it with a kitchen towel and lay his HA on that with the battery door open. He used to do the same with mine when I got mine as a child. It always worked with Florida's humidity. But like I say, that was a while back. (1959-1973)

The only thing I dislike about the dry and store is the proprietary dry briks.... I actually use dessicant at work and so have access to a ready supply of it ....Im tempted to make my own dry brik....the dessicant has an indicator in it that changes from blue to pink when it is used up....just put it in the over for a few hours to reactivate it

I use Dri-Aid. It's the best thing I've ever used. It comes with little round pebbles... white and blue. When the blue ones turn white, I just pour it on a plate and microwave it until they turn blue again or use the oven. I've been using mine for 4 years... only had to "cook" them 3 times.

Before the "Dry & Store" my father used to put a dinner plate on the lamp shade, then line it with a kitchen towel and lay his HA on that with the battery door open. He used to do the same with mine when I got mine as a child. It always worked with Florida's humidity. But like I say, that was a while back. (1959-1973)

That sounds like a major fire hazard to me. I won't try that one. No offense of course.

I like the sound of Dry-Aid. Which I will look into.

SoulEar Take-Along Case | Westone

I have been looking into the SoulEar Take-Along Case for when I go places or need overnights for work I don't have to worry about Static noise. Which makes me bonkers.

That sounds like a major fire hazard to me. I won't try that one. No offense of course.

I like the sound of Dry-Aid. Which I will look into.

SoulEar Take-Along Case | Westone

I have been looking into the SoulEar Take-Along Case for when I go places or need overnights for work I don't have to worry about Static noise. Which makes me bonkers.

We never had a problem, but that's okay. It wasn't left for long and nothing touched a light bulb. Glad you are thinking about something newer than what we had.

That SoulEar one looks nice and compact....as I travel a fair bit for work and work outside in the elements this might be a nice option for me....the cheapy that came with the CI uses similar pucks to the SoulEar

Back