Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants Not Allowed!

Tousi said:
The rule is NOT there because of the possibility of an accident.

I did not say because of the accident I said if they applied they have a rule set about no hearing aids or CI, Respect it. :)

Reba said:
That makes logical sense. However, I think Lauren's complaint is that she didn't have the choice. The organization forced her to remove her HA. It was your decision and choice to take off your HA while playing sports. I think that is the difference in situations.

It doesn't really matter if this is a different situations I am only posting my opinion and what I have done while being involved in sports, and if she willing to wear her hearing aids during golfing that is fine with me, but she also need to know the risk that accidents do happen, doesn't matter what type of sport you joined....

The bottom line is anything could happen, it doesn't matter if others think the chance are slim still accident do happen anytime and anyday....the main point in this is, if you do wear your hearing aids and it breaks in the result of it then you are responsible to pay for it your own , they don't want you to put a lawsuit against them in case it does happen or going after them to make them pay for a new hearing aids, so I can understand where they're coming from on this and they're just trying to save their butts LOL

If she still wants to wear her hearing aids during golfing then she can always talk to them about writting up an agreement and even be responsible whatever happened to her hearing aids during the game....Afterall, it works both ways, you have to go half way and they have to go half way then it works out beautiful! :)

I agree on both sides on this issue, and no one is wrong in this....that how I see it and that how I feel and it's ok to disagree with me ;)

Tousi said:
Like she said, she has a 90db loss and has always played golf with a HA. Now if she must remove it, another deaf golfer with a 50db loss without a hearing aid would STILL have an advantage over her. She would be disadvantaged because she is used to playing golf with her HA on and developed her skills over the years with the HA on.....must be another political situation.....and I think it stinks.

Very true.

I think the reason the deaflympics have that rule is because thye follow deaf culture. Like say for instance, you are jewish, there are different levels of that culture right. Like orthodox and the lower levels. The deaflympics are like orthodox deaf culturalists. Some deaf people don't believe in HA's or CI's. They are obviously some of those people. That's why there's a rule about no HA's or CI's.

you didnt read it

Deaf258 said:
:whistles a tune:

:pins down a peg and gingerly places a golf ball:

:looks to the distance and sees a hole far away:

:swings the pole and whacks the ball far into the horizon and screamed: "FORE!!!":

:the golf ball overshot its range and smacks into another player's head with CIs:

:CIs break:

:player in pain makes trip to hospital and get reimplanted and remapped:

...silence...

Oh, Hell.. Okay.. I never even played golf before. So, I'm just exaggerating here, and that supposed situation could happen by a very long shot. Realistically, low-contact sports shouldn't have those kind of restrictions on HAs and CIs. They should be forbidden from high-contact sports like volleyball, football, basketball, etc. Common sense should play a part on this.
You think thats funny to make fun of a golf ball falling on someone head, i sais i played football which i get hit the head so many times never hurt it how is that applied to golf jeez you got be a robin hood wiht a good hit to hit that person exactly on the head give me a break yoiu going to standing in the middle for that golf to tee off right at you go a head be my guess that is stupid joke i dont find it funny.Go out there and figure it out be my guess lady.

Relax harleymn, :dizzy:

Deaf258 just made a sense of humor have a laugh. :whistle:

Well, I, too, posted what I considered a good opinion in this topic and I respect yours, too, for the most part but all I get and hear is "Respect it" and "Deal with it" come-backs which seemed aimed at me only; yet between my posts, especially the last few above, the opinions have become increasingly in favor of Laura but nothing was said. Isn't this what a forum is for; if not, what are we doing here? I think some people need to re-read their posts before hitting the Submit button or count to 25 first, lol....

I think thats stupid!

Hi Laruen,
You have the right to wear your hearing aid when you play golf or any sport.
I don't like CI's, but they can't take force you to remove your hearing aid.
You and your friends should write to the Deaf Golf Commisson.
Stand up for you, your friends and all the other deaf who play sports.
Good luck!
Margie
Communcations Dir. OCDAC
Feel free to contact us if you need any help.
www.deafadvocay.org

I'm picking up wind that CISS Treasury took in a $10,000 bribe from USADSF to allow the US teams in the games next month. I'm waiting for the facts or additional testimony to support this finding. Perhaps giving the CISS a bribe will change their minds on hearing aids and CI.

Richard Roehm
Advocacy Editor, Deafnewspaper.com

One shouldn't HAVE to bribe or go to court to show that wearing a hearing aid or cochlear implant does NOT affect one's deafness. My gosh, I wear a cochlear implant and I used to be a president of a deaf fraternity! How scandalous!

The point is, it's POLITICAL, someone is on a power trip to say that deaf people are the best and has something against people who aren't CAPITAL D "D"eaf in their opinion. That means that if you have a hearing aid, cochlear implant, or other assistive device, you're not embracing deafness in their eyes. SCREW THAT.

I play golf with my implant on -- because it's more natural to me. If I played without it, I wouldn't be able to interact with my hearing peers on the course as well as I interact with my deaf peers. That means without it on, I won't have as much fun playing golf with, say, my boss, than with people at deaf golf tournaments. With it ON, I interact with everyone, deaf, hearing and hard of hearing alike. THERE IS NO RISK in causing damage to my implant whether I have it on or off.

If I take it off just for a deaf event, then my ability to play will change because I'm so used to practicing my swing with it on. SCREW CISS for trying to handicap me for a political reason!

Last edited:
^Angel^ said:
Yeah I agree with Deaf258, I took my hearing aids off when I was playing softball at school and volleyball too....I didn't want my hearing aids to break in case the ball hit it.... It does cost alot of money to buy new hearing aids and I don't think my parents would be thriller if they knew I had broke them while playing sports at school....

I'd take a deep breath and get a grip. Hearing athletes are required to removed jewelry, like rings, ear rings, necklaces, ankle bracelets, etc., etc. ALL the time in athletic events. Some people would wear nose rings if you let them. This is most likely an insurance issue and not some War against CI.

The other thing is, it take almost exactly ten minutes of focused concentration in a golf game to forget you don't have an HA or CI. I'm mean, if you're THAT upset without your CI, imagine what you'll do when someone in the gallery squeals like a pig just when are teeing off or putting. Don't make an issue of a non-issue. This sounds like Michael Jordon saying he won't play a basketball game without his big hoop ear ring dangling.

And as for the guy who played football, that makes some sense that you'd want to hear the whistle, but the Gallaudet Bison and deaf kids in residential schools all over the the country have been playing for decades and somehow they manage to stop at the end of the play without getting on the umpire's nerves. If you're so worried about it, go explain the situation to the umpire before the game. One assumes that a deaf person knows how to compensate with their eyes. Unless you just don't want to take responsibiliity for your athletic conduct. But the thing that really got me was the problem of not being able to hear some kid ask for an autograph. Gimme a break! Who's going to prevent you from wearing you HA when you're not on the field? And if you are on the field you should have your head in the game and not be signing autographs.

Finally, the implant is SOOOOOOOOOO expensive!!!! How much? $60 to 90 thouand dollars? That's like the Queen of England wantiing to wear her crown jewels on a loop-the-loop roller coaster. Just plain unwise. You can buy a HOUSE or a college education for that amount of money. Don't do it. Do you think some sporting event promoter wants to pay for your next CI or HA or compensate you if some other athlete breaks the damn thing, even if by accident? Because the promoter of these event is the LIABLE party, forever and always. The have to post insurance bonds for accidents and they can significantly lower the cost of the event by implementing rules for this very thing - wearing posthetic devices. In the age of SOMEBODY HAS TO BE BLAMED lawsuits, I'll guarantee you this organization has to march to the drum of their insurance company no matter who gets insulted.

So I say, relax, go and enjoy the competition and don't get the promoter sued if somebody breaks you CI. If you do, that will probably put a permanent END to all such competition until someone can fork over the insurance premiums; and just because you couldn't take the ten minutes (if even that much time) to adjust. Grow up, young lady. The world doesn't revolve around you. That competition means a lot to everyone. The best athletes plan and train for every possible obstacle. For the deaf athlete removing your HA and CI is just something you should always incorporate into you training so you do get so psyched-out when something doesn't work out. You should train with and without you prosthesis just to be ready to kick some butt rather than crumble if your battery goes dead.

Rayfus

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayfus said:
I'd take a deep breath and get a grip. Hearing athletes are required to removed jewelry, like rings, ear rings, necklaces, ankle bracelets, etc., etc. ALL the time in athletic events. Some people would wear nose rings if you let them. This is most likely an insurance issue and not some War against CI.
The difference is, jewelry is for appearance; HA and CI are for function, like eye glasses, contacts, and knee braces.

Reba said:
The difference is, jewelry is for appearance; HA and CI are for function, like eye glasses, contacts, and knee braces.

That may be true and it's reasonable to consider. But hearing athletes at all levels of competition have always had a responsibility to safety. I think that a person who was, say, a figure skater or who was involved in a sport which required that they keep time with music, like figure skating, would definitely have a case for wearing a prosthetic devise such as a hearing aid or CI. But the truth is, athletic ability is not dependent upon hearing for almost all sports and safety of other athletes is THE paramount concern. If an athlete defies the rule and wears a CI or HA, the chances that someone will be injured by it vary in probability depending on the sport. I'd think golf was one of the lest likely places where a CI or HA would be a problem. But this is a multi-sport competition and an insurance company doesn't play favorites or politics with their money. Athletes can wear braces of a certain type, but as every athlete knows, if you're so beat up that you have to use a metal brace, you don't belong on the playing field. Safety isn't a political issue.

Rayfus said:

The other thing is, it take almost exactly ten minutes of focused concentration in a golf game to forget you don't have an HA or CI. I'm mean, if you're THAT upset without your CI, imagine what you'll do when someone in the gallery squeals like a pig just when are teeing off or putting. Don't make an issue of a non-issue. This sounds like Michael Jordon saying he won't play a basketball game without his big hoop ear ring dangling.

So, you're saying that if I took off my glasses (which serve to help me see what I'm doing) it would take me "almost exactly 10 minutes of focused concentration" to forget that I can't see? My CI is a vital and integral part of me, as much as my glasses are. I guess I should be playing without my glasses from now on because they're likely to break while playing.

So I say, relax, go and enjoy the competition and don't get the promoter sued if somebody breaks you CI. If you do, that will probably put a permanent END to all such competition until someone can fork over the insurance premiums; and just because you couldn't take the ten minutes (if even that much time) to adjust. Grow up, young lady. The world doesn't revolve around you. That competition means a lot to everyone. The best athletes plan and train for every possible obstacle. For the deaf athlete removing your HA and CI is just something you should always incorporate into you training so you do get so psyched-out when something doesn't work out. You should train with and without you prosthesis just to be ready to kick some butt rather than crumble if your battery goes dead.

Prosthesis? Niiiice. You're insulting both those people who use assistive hearing devices AND people who use artificial limbs to live more normal lives. I guess you don't think someone who lost a limb should be allowed to use their replacement leg or arm to play either, right? No, even that would be too mean for you. Just cut it out, admit that neither hearing aids nor cochlear implants make a person "less Deaf." If they're no "less Deaf" than their non-wearing counterparts, then they should be allowed to play regardless of what their aids, because it does NOT interfere with play nor incur a liability.

Dennis said:
So, you're saying that if I took off my glasses (which serve to help me see what I'm doing) it would take me "almost exactly 10 minutes of focused concentration" to forget that I can't see? My CI is a vital and integral part of me, as much as my glasses are. I guess I should be playing without my glasses from now on because they're likely to break while playing.

Prosthesis? Niiiice. You're insulting both those people who use assistive hearing devices AND people who use artificial limbs to live more normal lives. I guess you don't think someone who lost a limb should be allowed to use their replacement leg or arm to play either, right? No, even that would be too mean for you. Just cut it out, admit that neither hearing aids nor cochlear implants make a person "less Deaf." If they're no "less Deaf" than their non-wearing counterparts, then they should be allowed to play regardless of what their aids, because it does NOT interfere with play nor incur a liability.

Dennis, since I've been wearing a hearing aid almost longer than you've been alive I'll try and be understanding about your defensiveness, unflattering though it may be. And since my own father lost a leg to diabetes when I was a child and I fetched his crutches and his prosthetic leg and his wheelchair for him I'll excuse you for not knowing that I've had that experience in my life. What I don't excuse, since I just retired from a career as a sports reporter and columnist and seem to have carried my own weight in doing so for 25 years, is your disregard for the safety of others. As an athlete myself, I always removed my hearing aid because: 1) Persperation will destroy it, 2) Other athletes will jam the ear mold into you ear in the course of rough and tumble competition, and 3) Because I witnessed a deaf athlete get her ear torn half way off in a high school state championship softball game.

If you can't see, there are such things as safety eye glasses. They aren't the most desirable thing, but officials have a responsibilty to interview athletes who wear them to make sure they are secured to their heads and are made of unbreakable material. But more to the point, there is absolutely nothing you cannot do on the athletic field if you are not wearing a HA or CI. I know this not just from my own experience, but from having watched hundreds of athletic competition over the span of 35 years. Safety isn't interested in the self-esteem of the stone deaf or the the users of prosthetic devices. If you injury another athlete when you had reasonable opportunity to avoid it, do you honestly expect people to defer to your political or self-esteem arguments? Why don't you, yourself, pay the insurance premium for this competition and make this a moot point. However, I would caution you that you can still be sued if someone suffers an ear, eye or head injury due to a loose projectile, which is all a CI or HA is when it rips flesh or an ear hook get lodged in someone's eyeball.

You are forgiven because of your youth and inexperience. I would not be if my HA punctured my own ear drum or inflicted an avoidable injury on another person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayfus said:
Finally, the implant is SOOOOOOOOOO expensive!!!! How much? $60 to 90 thouand dollars?

Not that expensive for the cochlear implants itself. From what I remember, the implant itself cost around $18,000-$25,000. Plus much, much more are added to the expenses like the costs of the operation, medical fees, drugs, plus the speech training, batteries for the processor and more.

Rayfus said:

And as for the guy who played football, that makes some sense that you'd want to hear the whistle, but the Gallaudet Bison and deaf kids in residential schools all over the the country have been playing for decades and somehow they manage to stop at the end of the play without getting on the umpire's nerves. If you're so worried about it, go explain the situation to the umpire before the game. One assumes that a deaf person knows how to compensate with their eyes. Unless you just don't want to take responsibiliity for your athletic conduct. But the thing that really got me was the problem of not being able to hear some kid ask for an autograph. Gimme a break! Who's going to prevent you from wearing you HA when you're not on the field? And if you are on the field you should have your head in the game and not be signing autographs.

Finally, the implant is SOOOOOOOOOO expensive!!!! How much? $60 to 90 thouand dollars? That's like the Queen of England wantiing to wear her crown jewels on a loop-the-loop roller coaster. Just plain unwise. You can buy a HOUSE or a college education for that amount of money. Don't do it. Do you think some sporting event promoter wants to pay for your next CI or HA or compensate you if some other athlete breaks the damn thing, even if by accident? Because the promoter of these event is the LIABLE party, forever and always. The have to post insurance bonds for accidents and they can significantly lower the cost of the event by implementing rules for this very thing - wearing posthetic devices. In the age of SOMEBODY HAS TO BE BLAMED lawsuits, I'll guarantee you this organization has to march to the drum of their insurance company no matter who gets insulted.

Rayfus

:confused:

First of all I do not understand why you took my post and ranting on what your opinion is on this, when it has NOTHING to do with what I said above, make sure you got the correct quote before you start running on forever that has nothing to do with what I said above...

Another thing, I don't appreicate your insult, and if you want to speak your opinion say it in a nice way or get across to your point about my post in the right way instead of making someone feel like their own opinion means nothing or like a pile of dirt....

Lastly , think twice before you hit the submit button, next time I see another post like this, I will report this....so think TWICE!

The real reason golfers are not allowed to wear large buttons on their shirts is because during a swing, the button could pop off, fly into the gallery and hit someone in the eye. That person could scream, causing a police officer to panic, thinking there is a terrorist attack taking place, and his firearm could accidentally discharge, the bullet striking a telepone pole's transformer, causing it to explode in a huge shower of bright sparks. The sudden surge in electricity could conceivably affect the nearest NORAD radar station, causing blips resembling incoming thermonuclear missiles to appear on the radar screens, and in the panic, it will never be known who accidentally launched our missiles, thereby causing the end of the world.
Gotta play it safe after all.

Last edited:
Back