Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants Not Allowed!

Lnanaa

Reaction score
source: [HOH-LD-News] Volume 21 Issue 11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Article 1: Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants Not Allowed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check it out for yourself at
http://www.deaflympics.com/sports/regulations.asp?ID=3 (See
Item J.)

You may sign the referenced petition at
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/239862263

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lauri writes:

I am a serious and very good golfer. My handicap is 10. I love
competition and I love to win. Last year for the first time I
entered the U.S. Deaf Golf Championships. I was told that I
could not wear hearing aids during the tournament. I was
shocked. I immediately felt discriminated against. Here is my
story.

My name is Lauri and I live in Michigan. I am profoundly deaf,
90 dB loss, and have been since birth. I wear only one hearing
aid, on my right ear, due to a disorder called recruitment. I
have worn a hearing aid on this ear since early childhood but
because of the severity of my hearing loss I still have to read
lips to understand what people are saying.

In July of 2003 I went to the U.S. Deaf Golf Championships in
Pinehurst, North Carolina. It was my first time entering the
tournament. On the first day of the tournament, one of the
committee told me that I could not wear hearing aids. I was
shocked and upset. I was trying to focus my mind on getting
ready to play golf instead of being upset. I asked her, "Why?"
She said, "Because we now come under The Committee International
Sports for the Deaf (CISS) rules and regulations." I flew all
the way to North Carolina and paid to rent a Condo along with a
couple of deaf friends, and now you are telling me that I cannot
wear hearing aids. Her reply was "It's in the entry form". I
never found this regulation in the entry. She knew I was quite
upset so she went to talk to the officers. When she returned I
was told that they will allow me to wear hearing aids this time,
but next time I would not be able to.

Fortunately I made the top five and therefore qualified to
represent the U.S. Women's team at the Deaf World Golf
Championships, to be played in Stockholm Sweden in July of this
year. I was quite upset when I was informed that we were not
allowed to wear hearing aids during the Deaf World Golf
Championships, also because they now come under CISS rules and
regulations. I had to drop out the U.S. Women team. I accessed
the CISS now renamed to CISS/Deaflympics Regulations on the
Internet and found the regulations under General Information,
item J, which reads:

"Athletes taking part in the Deaf World Championships shall be
forbidden from using any hearing aids or cochlear implant aids
during competitions."

I do not understand this rule. If a deaf person chooses not to
use hearing aids for their entire life, then they participate in
activities without hearing the associated sounds. They play golf
without hearing the sound of hitting the ball. Their learned
skills are developed by using other sensory perceptions. On the
other hand, a deaf person who chooses to wear hearing aids uses
the sounds of hitting the ball to help orient themselves. In a
tournament played under the above regulations, who would have an
advantage? A person playing under their normal circumstances or
a person made to play under unfamiliar ones? The same
regulations also state that deaf would be defined as a hearing
loss of "at least 55dB" That means a person without a hearing
aid and a 55db hearing loss could actually have better hearing
than a profoundly deaf person with a hearing aid. If a person
has a 55dB loss, they can hear something without hearing aids.
It's still an advantage over someone with a 90dB loss. I feel
that this rule is unfair because it gives an advantage to one
player over another and is discriminatory. Would you not permit
a person to wear glasses? Would you not permit a person with
prosthesis to play in the game?

Because of this outdated and unfair rule I felt compelled to
relinquish my place on the U.S. Women's golf team. Again, I am a
deaf person who has chosen the OPTION to wear hearing aids. I
should not be discriminated against for that choice. The sad and
unfortunate fact is that this discrimination is being levied by
an organization that certainly should know better and be more
understanding about new technology and its impact on options for
deaf people. Children are learning to listen and speak using
hearing aids and cochlear implants all over this country.

Until the United States and World Deaf Golf Championship are
included in the CISS/Deaflympics I believe its rules and
regulations should be kept separate. I believe that it is time
for us to move forward and not dwell in the traditions of the
past. After all this is the 21st Century and we have made great
progress in minimizing acts of discrimination.

I corresponded with the President of CISS/Deaflympics about this
situation last September. She replied back and recommended that
if I wished for this rule to change I would have to ask the U.S.
Deaf Golf Foundation to submit a proposal to World Deaf Golf
Federation (WDGF) who would then submit it to her. She would
then put it on the agenda for discussion at the January 2005
Congress in Melbourne. I complied with these directions and
contacted the President of the U.S. Deaf Golf Foundation, his
reply was as follows:

During its annual meeting on October 9, the U.S. Deaf Golf
Foundation (USDGF) Board of Directors discussed the issue of not
allowing competing deaf and hard of hearing golfers to wear
hearing aids nor cochlear implants at the U.S. Deaf Golf
Championships and the World Deaf Golf Championships. This rule
has been in effect for many years with the USA Deaf Sports
Federation (USADSF), of which USDGF is a national sports
organization, and ComitÃ(c) International des Sports des Sourds,
CISS (The International Committee of Sports for the Deaf). The
USADSF is affiliated with CISS. Also, USADSF is affiliated with
the World Deaf Golf Federation (WDGF). The USDGF Board has
decided not to take further action on this issue. We intend to
fully enforce this requirement for those who participate in
future U.S. Deaf Golf Championships, as well as the World Deaf
Golf Championships. However, we encourage you to express your
views directly with USADSF, WDGF, and CISS.

I was surprised and very disappointed at his response. I spoke
to a lawyer who works for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
and civil rights about rejecting hearing aids/cochlear implant
during U.S. Deaf Golf Championships. I believe that they broke
ADA law because we are playing in the United States. He said,
"They are non-profit organizational, which means they can make
whatever rules they want to."

I am not giving up my rights. I can't live without my hearing
aids. It is a part of my life. They should not be allowed remove
a part of me. The next United States Deaf Golf Championships
will be held in July of 2005. The top five scorers will qualify
for the World Deaf Golf Championship in Edmonton, Canada in
2006. I need your support so please contact these organizations.
You can reach the President of United States Deaf Golf
Foundation and the President of CISS/Deaflympics. Please feel
free to submit any questions or comments; you can reach me at
supporthrngaids@aol.com.

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION TO CONFIRM YOUR SUPPORT TO THE USE OF
HEARING AIDS/COCHLEAR IMPLANTS DURING U.S. AND WORLD DEAF GOLF
CHAMPIONSHIPS. Please pass the word. Thank you!

That is obviously an anti-hearing movement. This person has the right to complain.

I agree with no hearing aids/cochlear impants policy during those competitions because the risk of injury to the athletes and the risk of audio equipment breakage are too high. It'll cost more to insure everything, so it makes sense to not allow CIs and HAs. If I was wearing hearing aids, I'd take them off before I play sports.

Yeah I agree with Deaf258, I took my hearing aids off when I was playing softball at school and volleyball too....I didn't want my hearing aids to break in case the ball hit it....

It does cost alot of money to buy new hearing aids and I don't think my parents would be thriller if they knew I had broke them while playing sports at school....

Deaf258 said:
I agree with no hearing aids/cochlear impants policy during those competitions because the risk of injury to the athletes and the risk of audio equipment breakage are too high. It'll cost more to insure everything, so it makes sense to not allow CIs and HAs. If I was wearing hearing aids, I'd take them off before I play sports.
Yeah i understand but i wore mine from third grade to 12 grade in football becuz i needed to hear ref blow the wistle or a couch trying to tell me something. Also what if the kid comes up to ask you to sign autograph, you didnt hear the kid then everyone thinks you are ignoring the kids so i would wear them or at least show them proof of ins on you ci or hearing aids so that they wont be worried about being sued dont you think guys, Also go get ins on your ci then go back to your commisioners tell them i have prrof of ins here then they should let you play.

Deaf258 said:

Have you ever played professional golf?

You don't become a golfer overnight, it take years of practicing to get involved with tournaments. Golf is not a rough sport, and people should be allowed to have hearing aids or cochlear implants on them during golfing. People does rely on their remaining senses to play golf, as explained in the complaint. If you take these away from them, they'll feel disoriented because they're not accustomed to playing in these conditions.

It's hard to imagine how a hearing aid or cochlear implant would get damaged while playing golf.

harleymn said:
Yeah i understand but i wore mine from third grade to 12 grade in football becuz i needed to hear ref blow the wistle or a couch trying to tell me something. Also what if the kid comes up to ask you to sign autograph, you didnt hear the kid then everyone thinks you are ignoring the kids so i would wear them or at least show them proof of ins on you ci or hearing aids so that they wont be worried about being sued dont you think guys, Also go get ins on your ci then go back to your commisioners tell them i have prrof of ins here then they should let you play.

As Clara's Father said to her on Drawn Together: "Hu-DUH!"

That's why all of the players are DEAF with no hearing aids or cochlear implants to make it EQUAL on and off the playing field!!!

Banjo said:
Have you ever played professional golf?

You don't become a golfer overnight, it take years of practicing to get involved with tournaments. Golf is not a rough sport, and people should be allowed to have hearing aids or cochlear implants on them during golfing. People does rely on their remaining senses to play golf, as explained in the complaint. If you take these away from them, they'll feel disoriented because they're not accustomed to playing in these conditions.

It's hard to imagine how a hearing aid or cochlear implant would get damaged while playing golf.

:whistles a tune:

:pins down a peg and gingerly places a golf ball:

:looks to the distance and sees a hole far away:

:swings the pole and whacks the ball far into the horizon and screamed: "FORE!!!":

:the golf ball overshot its range and smacks into another player's head with CIs:

:CIs break:

:player in pain makes trip to hospital and get reimplanted and remapped:

...silence...

Oh, Hell.. Okay.. I never even played golf before. So, I'm just exaggerating here, and that supposed situation could happen by a very long shot. Realistically, low-contact sports shouldn't have those kind of restrictions on HAs and CIs. They should be forbidden from high-contact sports like volleyball, football, basketball, etc. Common sense should play a part on this.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Deaf258...God you are soooooooooooo FUNNI!!! Good one!

They should be forbidden from high-contact sports like volleyball, football, basketball, etc. Common sense should play a part on this.

Hmm-mm, well. The cochlear implant is already inside your head. It's only the processor that you have to take off before you play rough sports. Especially before you swim, lol.

I've swam with my hearing aids by accident several times in the past.

Banjo said:
Hmm-mm, well. The cochlear implant is already inside your head. It's only the processor that you have to take off before you play rough sports. Especially before you swim, lol.

I've swam with my hearing aids by accident several times in the past.

Heh.. Come to think of it.... I think it is okay for swim meets, but not for water polo (risk of getting elbow impact on the implant). Does that make sense?

Deaf258 said:
Heh.. Come to think of it.... I think it is okay for swim meets, but not for water polo (risk of getting elbow impact on the implant). Does that make sense?

Really, it doesn't matter what sports you play. The odds of damaging the implant is very slim. But if it does happen, then you know what they say...

Shit happens.

Except for midget tossing. They have to avoid that.

Like she said, she has a 90db loss and has always played golf with a HA. Now if she must remove it, another deaf golfer with a 50db loss without a hearing aid would STILL have an advantage over her. She would be disadvantaged because she is used to playing golf with her HA on and developed her skills over the years with the HA on.....must be another political situation.....and I think it stinks.

Tousi said:
Like she said, she has a 90db loss and has always played golf with a HA. Now if she must remove it, another deaf golfer with a 50db loss without a hearing aid would STILL have an advantage over her. She would be disadvantaged because she is used to playing golf with her HA on and developed her skills over the years with the HA on.....must be another political situation.....and I think it stinks.
i second that

If there are issues with liabilities, insurance, etc., then the player/competitor could sign some form of paper indicating she/he is entering the competiton at her/his risk and will not hold anyone respondsible...simply can be done--

Another point, as I'm Hoh and have participated in many sports in my time and not once did I feel the need to take it off except during water sports...although, I do sympathize with Lnanaa's plight and perils with the regulations that is in writing...perhaps it IS a discrimination to her and any other Hoh or CI user since they (the committee/regulators) may not want to be consider or construed as an 'almost hearing' professional competition...but, the point is this, a player/competitor who has a hearing-aid or CI is legally considered 'deaf', turning off the CI, turning or taking off the hearing-aid, a person is 'deaf', allowing them to benefit from using such devices...hence, a golfer can choose to use his feet and walk the golf course or benefit from using a golf-cart to get around on the golf course...it's pretty much almost the same general concept or idea...I believe that it's possible that the governing body/committee feels threaten...or simply it's a major discrimination against great golfers such as Lnanaa and other professional competitors...who purposefully wants to compete in the professional field with others.

^Angel^ said:
Yeah I agree with Deaf258, I took my hearing aids off when I was playing softball at school and volleyball too....I didn't want my hearing aids to break in case the ball hit it....
It does cost alot of money to buy new hearing aids and I don't think my parents would be thriller if they knew I had broke them while playing sports at school....
That makes logical sense. However, I think Lauren's complaint is that she didn't have the choice. The organization forced her to remove her HA. It was your decision and choice to take off your HA while playing sports. I think that is the difference in situations.

Reba said:
That makes logical sense. However, I think Lauren's complaint is that she didn't have the choice. The organization forced her to remove her HA. It was your decision and choice to take off your HA while playing sports. I think that is the difference in situations.

Well, a common sense person would not wear a hearing aid or CI during sports. Accidents do happen it's better safe than sorry. If it's in the rule guide then you have to follow what it says. That is part of life, Deal with it.:)

The rule is NOT there because of the possibility of an accident.

It's a different person.

First, I like to say that I'm not a golf player or the girl who is complaining to the deaflympic about the ban on HAs and CIs. I found this article on another website, so I copied and paste it on here for everyone to read it. It's a girl named Lauri from Michigan. We just happen to have similiar names. I thought it was an interesting topic and wondered what people thought about it.

I agreed with Banjo that this is obivously an anti-hearing movement and I don't think that people with HAs or CIs have any advantages over those who doesn't wear them.

If people are so concern about HAs breaking and spending a lot of money to replace them, then they should have insurance to cover them. It's not other people's responsibility to make sure you don't lose or break your HAs. I have insurance on mine and I have lost them or broken them numerous times. The insurance company replace them free or fixed it for free. It's just like having insurance on your sidekick, so u can replace it for free when it breaks or when u lose it.

I view HA as an accessory that people need to help them such as glasses, wheelchairs, fake legs or arms, etc. If they want to ban HAs and CIs because they're afraid it will have advantages over those who doesn't, then they should ban glasses or wheelchairs and other devices that help those with disabilities. If it weren't for these devices, these people wouldn't be able to do the things that they are capable of doing now.

Deaf culture is a very diversity culture, but it's only have one thing in common, hearing loss. Everyone handles it in different ways. If they want to call it deaf culture, they have to accept diversity.

I forget the name of this pro golfer who was handicapped, and the tour people ruled that he could not use his golf cart between rounds, since they thought it would give him an unfair advantage over overs, who have to walk.
He challenged it in court.
He won. The court said that he can use the golf cart.
Same thing with this CI baloney. Why doesn't she just challenge it? I am so sure the court would rule in her favor.
All it takes is for ONE person to stand up.

Back