Hearies view on a CI kid... its a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can double talk all you want but you have no idea what AVT is. AVT is not an "umbrella" term but a specific and unique form of Spoken Language Therapy

Whatever, rick. And AVT is so much more than spoken language therapy. What do you think the A stands for? And why in the world would you use all caps on spoken language therapy? Is spoken language that important to you?

If your son is able to communicate with Deaf of Deaf, chances are his ASL skills are very strong. Perhaps you assess them as being weak because he uses a correct ASL syntax rather than a PSE syntax.

Jillo I know the exact way my son uses ASL. With his friend he uses some sign and acts out like he is actor the parts he doesn't know the sign for. It is so funny to watch him on the VRS. They are not signing they are acting showing each other their toys, and jumping around. When his friend is over my house it is either me or my daughter that translates things they cannot tell each other, more my daughter of course. When his mom is around it is just second nature for her to be translating everthing her son says even the things we do understand.

Jillo I know the exact way my son uses ASL. With his friend he uses some sign and acts out like he is actor the parts he doesn't know the sign for. It is so funny to watch him on the VRS. They are not signing they are acting showing each other their toys, and jumping around. When his friend is over my house it is either me or my daughter that translates things they cannot tell each other, more my daughter of course. When his mom is around it is just second nature for her to be translating everthing her son says even the things we do understand.

Are you sure they aren't signing? ASL is extremely animated.

That's great! :thumb:

I have one question to ask you, Do you sign too? ;)

Yes I do sign not great but I can communicate somewhat well with my children's friends. They understand everything I say but at times it is hard for me to understand what they are telling me. When my children were first diagnosis I took a ASL class because I wasn't sure they would be able to be oral. Then during my teacher training I had to take a ASL class and in oder to get my level II crdential I had to take another ASL class. Since I do not need to sign with my children my signing skills get weak in the school year and get stronger in the summer when my children's friend come over.

Hi, I saw quite of few of you talking about Auditory Verbal Therapy. I also seen were a couple of you really didn't what it means and what it entails. So I thought I would post 10 principles of it.
Just in case you were wondering our family has followed the philosphy of AVT. I am also an auditory verbal therapists. I am not certified but I should be this summer.

Principles of Auditory-Verbal Therapy
1. Promote early diagnosis of hearing loss in newborns, infants, toddlers, and young children, followed by immediate audiologic management and Auditory-Verbal therapy.

2. Recommend immediate assessment and use of appropriate, state-of-the-art hearing technology to obtain maximum benefits of auditory stimulation.

3. Guide and coach parents¹ to help their child use hearing as the primary sensory modality in developing spoken language without the use of sign language or emphasis on lipreading.

4. Guide and coach parents¹ to become the primary facilitators of their child's listening and spoken language development through active consistent participation in individualized Auditory-Verbal therapy.

5. Guide and coach parents¹ to create environments that support listening for the acquisition of spoken language throughout the child's daily activities.

6. Guide and coach parents¹ to help their child integrate listening and spoken language into all aspects of the child's life.

7. Guide and coach parents¹ to use natural developmental patterns of audition, speech, language, cognition, and communication.

8. Guide and coach parents¹ to help their child self-monitor spoken language through listening.

9. Administer ongoing formal and informal diagnostic assessments to develop individualized Auditory-Verbal treatment plans, to monitor progress and to evaluate the effectiveness of the plans for the child and family.

10. Promote education in regular schools with peers who have typical hearing and with appropriate services from early childhood onwards.

*An Auditory-Verbal Practice requires all 10 principles.

¹The term "parents" also includes grandparents, relatives, guardians, and any caregivers who interact with the child.

Are you sure they aren't signing? ASL is extremely animated.

I know he is signing but I also know that his signing skills are not good. I know this because his friends look at him for clarification when my son is signing. He will sign a word then act something out and then go bring out what he was talking about.
The good thing is that he thinks he is a great signer but then the thinks he can do anything.
Just for your information I am planning for him to take ASL classes for his high school foreign language requirement.

Jillo, I know you said that your son was in AVT was it by a certified AVT. There are some people out there that say they provide AVT but are not quaified too. I am not saying that this happen in your case but it really goes against the whole philosophy of AVT, the signing part. My Mentor for the AVT part was one the orginial AVT therapist and she help develop the whole certification process.

I know he is signing but I also know that his signing skills are not good. I know this because his friends look at him for clarification when my son is signing. He will sign a word then act something out and then go bring out what he was talking about.
The good thing is that he thinks he is a great signer but then the thinks he can do anything.
Just for your information I am planning for him to take ASL classes for his high school foreign language requirement.

Good. He will be able to improve his skills that way and make communication easier with his deaf friends. And his confidence will go a long way toward his actually doing anything he chooses. The first step is believing you can, the second step is making the effort to ensure that you can.

Jillo, I know you said that your son was in AVT was it by a certified AVT. There are some people out there that say they provide AVT but are not quaified too. I am not saying that this happen in your case but it really goes against the whole philosophy of AVT, the signing part. My Mentor for the AVT part was one the orginial AVT therapist and she help develop the whole certification process.

Yeppers, she was certified. In fact, she worked at Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center affliated with Vanderbilt Hospital. They weren't the ones who insisted on adding the signing part....I was because I got tired of seeing my son so frustrated. In fact, they gave me holy hell at Mama Lere Preschool for signing with my son. Thank goodness that the League for the Deaf and HOH was right behind the preschool....that is where I first came in contact with the deaf community. My son would go to AVT at Mama Lere and leave in tears. Then we would go to the League, and by the time we left, he would be smiling and laughing again, because communication flowed so easily. But the AVT did have an effect on him that was positive, because he does have excellent oral skills to go with his excellent signing skills.

Yeppers, she was certified. In fact, she worked at Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center affliated with Vanderbilt Hospital. They weren't the ones who insisted on adding the signing part....I was because I got tired of seeing my son so frustrated. In fact, they gave me holy hell at Mama Lere Preschool for signing with my son. Thank goodness that the League for the Deaf and HOH was right behind the preschool....that is where I first came in contact with the deaf community. My son would go to AVT at Mama Lere and leave in tears. Then we would go to the League, and by the time we left, he would be smiling and laughing again, because communication flowed so easily. But the AVT did have an effect on him that was positive, because he does have excellent oral skills to go with his excellent signing skills.

Interesting. I never had formal AVT but was taught by a school of thought that believed that oral language should develop naturally and without inhibitation. So it was more play therapy and then when I became older, the teachers of the deaf spent an hour each week with me talking about hobbies, politics, what was on TV etc. They also acted as a facilitator at my mainstream school. One time I decided I no longer wanted to attend music lessons, so they arranged that for me.

In your son's case did it involve having to repeat the word or sound many times until he got it right?

fuzzy, ever hear the expression "the inmates are running the asylum" where there is a perfect example of it! :)

Who's runnin' the medications for looney bins ? :hmm: Of course, not inmates. So, therefore, the inmates can't run the asylum. They need to cool their heads/behaviors off by meds.

WOW...

SO many posts...

and so many of them in serious denial about CI...

Some don't want children to have it because they never had it themself,
Some need to get confirmation from the Deaf world that the choice NOT to implant the child was a good one,
Some don't like it because of being scared for any operation,
Some just need to confirm to themself over and over again that there are only bad sounds....

Time to face reality.!!
When you're deaf, you are handicapped. (you're missing a sense..)
A stage in the process of acceptance is denial. ("life is better without hearing..)
Living with deafness does not exclude wanting to hear..

An you what's so great about all the CI-nonsense that is produced by the anti-CI gang lately:

I read the crap you are writing, look at my deaf daughter and I'm grinning from face to face..
You suckers are so wrong !!

*cough* Anti-CI gang? LOL. The only anti-CI'ers here are me and sweetmind. The rest are just resonably promoting bi-bi, a method that is the most popular among researchers and scientists. The problem you have with bi-bi, is that CI is not crucial for success in bi-bi programs. That does not mean that bi-bi is anti-CI at all, a lot of CI-kids success in bi-bi programs after mainstream failures.

Btw, a man in white cloak asked for you.

Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center

Small world!That is where I am going today for my mapping. My surgery was at Vanderbilt and my audie is there. Out of all the audies and doctors I have worked with over the pass 35 years, they are the best!!!!!

They also have a preschool that has children with implants and others together. A teacher from school granddaughter who is not hard of hearing is in this preschool and loves it. I don't know a lot about it.

*cough* Anti-CI gang? LOL. The only anti-CI'ers here are me and sweetmind. The rest are just resonably promoting bi-bi, a method that is the most popular among researchers and scientists. The problem you have with bi-bi, is that CI is not crucial for success in bi-bi programs. That does not mean that bi-bi is anti-CI at all, a lot of CI-kids success in bi-bi programs after mainstream failures.

:ty: for pointing out who is not anti-CI. When I saw that, I didnt even bother mentioning it cuz I am tired of repeating over and over that I am not against CIs so I figured," What the heck? They are gonna believe whatever they want."

Yea, a lot of CI users are successful in the BiBi programs but what's interesting is that they seem to be happy being around others like them...CI and non CI users.

Another misinterpretation - as usual..

Yep, that's right...that's all we do is misinterpret each other. No wonder we are just running in circles.

wow, I didn´t know that you are anti-CI. I thought you are neutral to CI issues like rest of us accord your posts. Only 2 anti-CI person, I know is sweetmind and Kaslista but I didn´t know that you are also, too.

It doesn´t mean that I am anti-CI because I am against CI on babies/toddler and beleive to support child/adult´s choice.

:ty: for pointing out who is not anti-CI. When I saw that, I didnt even bother mentioning it cuz I am tired of repeating over and over that I am not against CIs so I figured," What the heck? They are gonna believe whatever they want."

Yea, same here, it's not the cochlear implant itself that I'm against, It's the children who are implanted. If Cloggy doesn't understand a "personal choice decision" means then what else can I do about it? Instead he screamed "bloody anti-CI" :ugh3:

Bill Wilkerson Speech and Hearing Center

Small world!That is where I am going today for my mapping. My surgery was at Vanderbilt and my audie is there. Out of all the audies and doctors I have worked with over the pass 35 years, they are the best!!!!!

They also have a preschool that has children with implants and others together. A teacher from school granddaughter who is not hard of hearing is in this preschool and loves it. I don't know a lot about it.

Do they still call it "Mama Lere?" My son was there 1988-1990, but CIs were not routinely being done, so they were an oral preschool using HA and auditory trainers int heir programs.

If you're looking for a connection to the deaf community, the League (right behind Bill Wilkerson and in front of the preschool bldg) is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back