Hearies view on a CI kid... its a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't quit shel. Deaf kids need you.

I understand exactly what you are saying. As long as that child is not signing and making it obvious that they are deaf, it is okay to deny them information! The goal is to make them appear to be less deaf, not to educate them. :rl:

I do agree completely with Jillo, deaf children need people like you. You are a great role model

Hey Shel, I just read your comment about your friend. Is she willing to relocate. I know of several teacher positions open in TC classes about 90 minutes north of San Diego. Pay is pretty good.

:ty:

Ok I will ask her the next time I talk to her. She lives on the base cuz her hubby is in the army so not sure exactly where in SD she is in but she cant relocate. I think I have another friend who is deaf who teaches in one of those programs u speak of.

I read about what u said about your kids having deaf friends outside of school. That is really nice ..I am sure they appreciate that very much. I know I would have as a child. I was soooo thankful when my best friend and I were finally able to go to the same high school after attending different schools growing up. It made life easier that there was someone there that I could relate to even if it was just one person. That's why our friendship is still going strong after 35 years cuz she experienced exactly what I experienced growing up without an opportunity to learn ASL and to be involved in the Deaf community. Now, she is fluent in ASL and all her friends are deaf or hearing people that use ASL.

While developing oral language with my children has always been important, I do understand about all the areas that my children needed to developed. I always made sure that I was meeting all of children's areas of need. In my own classroom I also make sure that I work on areas of development not just speak development. Just in case you were wondering my BS is in child development. I did enjoy Erikson and Piagnet by my favorite was Vygotsky zone of proximal development, I always made sure I was right in that area with my children and students. You know the other guy I really like is Garnder with his areas of intellidence. This has been very helpful with my own children. If done properly language development can be incorporated into almost any area.

Yes, Gardner's theories of multiple intelligence are very pertinent to the deaf student, or even the student with learning differences. Our mainstream classrooms are set up for auditory learners, and that can create a bias for not just the deaf student, for for many hearing students who are more visual or kinesthetic learners as well.

Vygotsky's zones of proximal development are extremely useful when discussing developmental issues that rely on maturity to manifest, such as fine motor skills. Erickson, however, sees things from more of a lifespan perspective, and concentrates not just on the physical development, but on the emotional and psychological development that occurs throught the life span.

You are welcome, jackie. I am only trying to point out that when a parent gets too involved in whether a child can hear and speak, they often are blinded to issues that are having more impact on their child than deafness does.

I can see your point because I have come across people like that. I have always tried to make sure that I meet all of my kids needs not just their oral needs.

Exactly, I work in the office. If I want to communicate with my co-workers over work issues then do emails, fax or walk to their offices... Why telephone? :roll:

Shoot, liebling....I'm hearing, and I use emails for more than half of my communications with people that are right there in the same building with me! Rarely do I use the telephone.

Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy said:
A deaf person born with severe to profound hearing loss WILL NOT learn to speak just like that!!!

How do you really know that? you haven't met me yet...Alot of people couldn't believe that I'm deaf since I speak soo well....

Also I've met few from here in RL, and they speak perfectly fine...

I know!!! It is sooo fucked up. I will still work at my school as long as it remains open. If it closes cuz of parents preferring oral only deaf ed, that's it for teaching for me cuz I refuse to teach oral deaf ed. It would go against my principles. That may not happen but I would rather be prepared both mentally and emotionally if I should have to find a different kind of job.

I told my friend to sign to them on the sly but she said the other teacher in the room is an oral fanantic and would report her. That is just sick sick sick sick!

Agreed! But there has always been a need for education using both sign an speech. Oralism has never been able to take over completely. Why? It doesn't work in most cases.

Agreed! But there has always been a need for education using both sign an speech. Oralism has never been able to take over completely. Why? It doesn't work in most cases.

Agreed Jillioie....:D

What about the child's life? that spends hours and hours in therapy...?

It might come as a surprise to you, but deaf children WITHOUT CI's also spend "hours and hours" in speech therapy.

It might come as a surprise to you, but deaf children WITHOUT CI's also spend "hours and hours" in speech therapy.

Only the ones whose parents insist on an oral only environment! We're right back to ethnocentricism and making the child address the parents needs rather than the other way around.

And, if a parent has "hours and hours" to devote to AVT sessions and home supplements, why don't they have "hours and hours" to devote to learning sign language?

Really? cause I didn't...*smile*

And that's IF the parents prefer the child to learn oral only....that's sad because a child this young should be outside playing with their friends....

Originally Posted by Audiofuzzy
Deaf children are not the only ones that are treated this way - anyone who's "different" in any way is subjected to bullying, rejection, teasing.

That's bologna, Anyone can get bullied, Not just those who are "different" People get bullied for all sorts of things and for no reason at all.

Do you understand ENGLISH, woman?

This was in response to Jillio speaking of how deaf children are picked on because of their handicap.
If you want to discuss why and who can be a bullying victim, start another thread on the proper SUBJECT!

Fuzzy

Do you understand ENGLISH, woman?

This was in response to Jillio speaking of how deaf children are picked on because of their handicap.
If you want to discuss why and who can be a bullying victim, start another thread on the proper SUBJECT!

Fuzzy

Come on, fuzzy....reign in the anger and let's get back to a productive discussion. OK?

Only the ones whose parents insist on an oral only environment! We're right back to ethnocentricism and making the child address the parents needs rather than the other way around.

And, if a parent has "hours and hours" to devote to AVT sessions and home supplements, why don't they have "hours and hours" to devote to learning sign language?

Yep, it is about compromising to meet each other needs. Dont understand why some people insist that the hearing view or way is the correct way.

Yep, it is about compromising to meet each other needs. Dont understand why some people insist that the hearing view or way is the correct way.

Me either. But they seem to keep coming up with excuses to justify it.:dunno2: Unfortuantely, none of those excuses seem to hold up when they are looked at carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back