headaches and migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about stroke also, Shel. My dad (surgeon, not a neurologist) says migraine with aura increases risk for some stroke by a small amount only - much less risk than smoking, the birth control pill etc. I hope your neurologist says similar thing.

And from NEUROLOGY 2005;64:1020-1026: Migraine, headache, and the risk of stroke in women

A prospective study
T. Kurth, MD, ScD, M. A. Slomke, C. S. Kase, MD, N. R. Cook, ScD, I.-M. Lee, MBBS, ScD, J. M. Gaziano, MD, MPH, H.-C. Diener, MD, PhD and J. E. Buring, ScD

Background: Migraine and headache in general have been associated with subsequent risk of stroke, primarily in retrospective case-control studies. Prospective data evaluating the association between specific headache forms and stroke are sparse.

Methods: A prospective cohort study was conducted among 39,754 US health professionals age 45 and older participating in the Women’s Health Study with an average follow-up of 9 years. Incident stroke was self-reported and confirmed by medical record review.

Results: A total of 385 strokes (309 ischemic, 72 hemorrhagic, and 4 undefined) occurred. Compared with nonmigraineurs, participants who reported migraine overall or migraine without aura had no increased risk of any stroke type. Participants who reported migraine with aura had increased adjusted hazards ratios (HRs) of 1.53 (95% CI 1.02 to 2.31) for total stroke and 1.71 (95% CI 1.11 to 2.66) for ischemic stroke but no increased risk for hemorrhagic stroke. Participants with migraine with aura who were <55 years old had a greater increase in risk of total (HR 1.75; 95% CI 1.02 to 3.00) and ischemic (HR 2.25; 95% CI 1.30 to 3.91) stroke. Compared with participants without headache, headache in general and nonmigraine headache were not associated with total, ischemic, or hemorrhagic stroke.

Conclusions: In these prospective data, migraine was not associated with total, ischemic, or hemorrhagic stroke. In subgroup analyses, we found increased risks of total and ischemic stroke for migraineurs with aura. The absolute risk increase was, however, low, with 3.8 additional cases per year per 10,000 women.

---

From Current Atherosclerosis Reports: Headache and the risk of stroke

Several studies have suggested that migraine is a risk factor for stroke. The association between migraine and the risk of stroke has been observed most often among premenopausal women but also in some studies among men. The association may be stronger among women who smoke and among women using oral contraceptives compared with nonsmokers and nonusers. Classic migraine with aura may be a more powerful predictor of stroke than common migraine without aura. Findings of a recent population-based study suggest that subclinical brain lesions are more common among migraine patients, particularly among those with aura, than among the control subjects. Two cohort studies have shown that chronic non-specific headache also is related to increased stroke risk. The effect of treatment of migraine and other types of headache on the risk of stroke is not known. Even though the relative risk of stroke may be fairly high among migraine patients, the absolute risk is usually low due to low baseline risk among young people.

I will call my dr about it on Monday. I have atrial fib which puts me at a slightly higher risk for strokes. Now, a migraine with a aura? Geez, how much more worse can my health get?

Thanks!

I will call my dr about it on Monday. I have atrial fib which puts me at a slightly higher risk for strokes. Now, a migraine with a aura? Geez, how much more worse can my health get?

Thanks!

Sorry about atrial fib - I learned about atrial fib when studying the heart. One question - atrial fib increases risk of stroke from clot in the brain vessel, right? So many people with atrial fib are on blood thinners. If so, do blood thinners prevent increase risk of stroke from migraine with aura also? Maybe you have double protection. I hope. :)

Serotonin is not only a neurotransmitter:

Serotonin definition - Depression Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments Including Clinical and Manic Depression on MedicineNet.com

and so is norepineprhine:

What Is Norepinephrine?

and Jillio :
WHERE IS YOUR LINK SUPPORTING LESIONS CAUSE MIGRAINE?
Come on, fess up?

As I told you Fuzzy, I don't use Google as my source of information. I use accepted academic sources. And I have referred you to those. It is not my problem if you don't know how to use a library.

And I am well aware of what serotonin is. It is a nuerotransmitter. It can't be two things at once. It is not a hormone. It is a chemical produced in the brain. Hormones, such as estrogen, progeston, and testosterone are not produced in the brain, but by the reproductive organs. You need to get your information straight.

And, in answer to the question you have yelled, I gave you the location of the information. What part of my answer don't you understand?

WHERE IS YOUR LINK SUPPORTING LESIONS CAUSE MIGRAINE?

Sorry about atrial fib - I learned about atrial fib when studying the heart. One question - atrial fib increases risk of stroke from clot in the brain vessel, right? So many people with atrial fib are on blood thinners. If so, do blood thinners prevent increase risk of stroke from migraine with aura also? Maybe you have double protection. I hope. :)

:ty: I am ok about it now.

I havent had any episodes with my atrial fib in over a year so I am off the blood thinners. At the time I was having problems with my heart, I wasnt having frequent migraines. The month and half of daily migraines was the only period that I had frequent migrains and since I started taking meds for it, it has stopped and I am off the meds..no migraines so knock on wood.

Atrial fib increases the risk of strokes by clots emitting from the heart due to the irregular heartbeats or that was what I was told. At the time, I was an emotional mess cuz I was 8 months pregnant when I was hospitalized for a week with atrial fib and lived in constant paranoia for a year afterwards cuz of my recurring episodes..however, they gradually went away but every now and then, I get palpitations. GRRRR!

You are thrashing and contradicting yourself now:

first:

now:

... no you weren't aware of the fact that it's DILATATION that causes migraine pain, and it shows. btw that makes you a....

Widening of the blood vessels and them pressing on the nerves in the brain - this is WHAT causes migraine pain,

constricting of the blood vessels is what brings relief - and that is how the newest line of the most effective abortive medication - called TRIPTANS - work - by CONSTRICTING the blood vessels. The narrowing part does not cause pain, although it is part of chain reaction in migraine. During narrowing for example an migraine aura is experienced, and sometimes it ends at that - the pain does not follow.

What causes migraine?
One theory about the cause of migraine is the blood flow theory, which focuses on blood vessel activity in the brain. Blood vessels either narrow or expand. Narrowing can constrict blood flow, causing problems with sight or dizziness. When the blood vessels expand, they press on nerves nearby, which causes pain.

Right there it is. Migraine can be caused by either constriction or dilation of the blood vessels. Can't you read? Constriction is also responsible for the aura that some patients experience. So, I haven't contradicted myself at all, you have simply failed to comprehend.
from 'Women's Health' online

Of course the vascular theory is not the only one about pathophysiology of migraine, but it's part of it.

There is no such word as "pathophysiology". What are you trying to say? And, as I said, medical sceince doesn't have all the answers so how could you possibly know everything there is to know about migraine?
I wouldn't give damn about your lack of knowledge about migraines and what causes them, but you are misinforming and confusing innocent, naive pple here, who unfortunately believe in you, but you only care about "looking smart", not them.

Are you insinuating that the posters on this board are not intelligent enough to read and decide for themselves? How very arrogant of you. But I would expect as much after you claim of knowing allthere is to know. That is one of your biggest problems, Fuzzy. You have convinced yourself that you know all there is to know, and therefore, refuse to learn. Oh, well, ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

And this is what Merck's Manual says about BC pills, what I was remarking about earlier:

because oral contraceptives are homones, as they HRTherapies.

And how is it that the oral contraceptives make the migraines worsen? Only recently have oral contraceptives been used as HRT in perimenopausal women. Exactly what synthetic hormones do they cotnain, and how is it that they are metabolized in the system that allows them to trigger migraine is some patients? If you recall, I asked you to explain how BC pills, as you call them, triggered migraines, and why they did. All you did was tell me what an oral contraceptive was. That didn't answer my question. Since you claimt o know allthere is to know about migraines, I would think you would be able to explain this very easily, and without having to use the Merck Manual.

The blood thinners allow for easier circulation in cases of atrial fibrillation. And, as clots are respsonsible for strokes, the blood thinners should decrease the risk.

Not all migraines follow that pattern. Some children have migraines that are outgrown following puberty. Some adults have migraines that disappear post menopause. Some start with the menses, some begin much younger. There are gender differences in the patterns, as well as variations depending uponthe root cause. Some don't ever have migraines until they receive some sort of head injury. And some don't start until there is a change in other health factors.

The graph is showing just a general pattern of migraine and how it is related to age. while of course not every single migraine follows that pattern, the majority does. migraine tends to increase in intensity and quantity between the ages of 20-50, with the peak happening at 30-50, or more exactly according to this graph - 35- 45 y.o.
the men's line is included in this graph -it's the dotted line. the peak is very similar.

and every neurologist will tell you that.

Vallee would fit into that pattern since she stated her migraines appeared when she was about 20 y.o.
The question I would like to ask, was the hearing loss somehow related to her starting migraines, or was it a coincidence.

Fuzzy

Jillio: It would be wonderful if you were aqble to follow your own advise. I already told you to consult with a medical text or a neurologist

yes you told me so because obviously you can not support your own claims about lesions causing migraine. it's your usual "wiggling out" tactic you use whenever you can not back up your claims, period. you can fool others but you are not fooling ME.
also,
Show me links supporting your claim that drinking water helps to dilate blood vessels in the brain.

Dehydration triggers severe headache in anyone who experiences dehydration, fuzzy. The severe headache that accompanies dehydration is not a symptom of the dehydration. It is not a migraine. And jsut because someone who is susceptible to migraines suffers a headache does not mean that it is automatically a migraine attack. People who have been diagnosed with migraine experience other types of headache as well.

I am well aware that it is dilation f the blood vessels that accompanies migraine. But dehydration causes constriction, and that is why water intake relieves the severe headache that accompanies dehydration.

but first you said:
The reason that drinking water helps with migraine is because the blood vessels in the brain constrict, and increased water helps to dilate them.

So, you realised what a blooper you shot, and now you try trying to cover your tracks :giggle:

And THIS :ugh3::
Dehydration triggers severe headache in anyone who experiences dehydration, fuzzy.
The severe headache that accompanies dehydration is not a symptom of the dehydration. It is not a migraine.

??????????? that is quite a gimmick you wrote here. care to elaborate?

But dehydration causes constriction, and that is why water intake relieves the severe headache that accompanies dehydration.

you are clearly saying here water intake relieves constriction = causes dilatation of the blood vessels.
what kind of headache OTHER than migraine is caused by first constricting then dilating blood vessels?
and in case you forgot it again it's dilatation that causes a head pain.

Hormones, such as estrogen, progeston, and testosterone are not produced in the brain, but by the reproductive organs. You need to get your information straight.

estrogen, progeston, and testosterone are the only human hormones???
what about hippocampus - doesn't it produce a growth hormone? and what is insulin? - is it produced by reproductive organ? hwo about - adrenaline?

serotonin is not a hormone? but what is hormone, exactly?

A hormone (from Greek όρμή - "to set in motion") is a chemical messenger that carries a signal from one cell (or group of cells) to another via the blood.

The best-known animal hormones are those produced by endocrine glands of vertebrate animals, but hormones are produced by nearly every organ system and tissue type in a multicellular organism.
(aren't we multicellular organisms?)
The master coordinator of hormonal activity in mammals is the hypothalamus acting on input it receives from the central nervous system.
hypothalamus... wait a minute... isn't that in the brain?
Hypothalamus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The hypothalamus links the nervous system to the endocrine system via the pituitary gland (hypophysis). The hypothalamus, (from Greek ὑποθαλαμος = under the thalamus) is located below the thalamus, just above the brain stem. This gland occupies the major portion of the ventral region of the diencephalon. It is found in all mammalian brains. In humans, it is roughly the size of an almond.

Important human hormones
amine - tryptophan Serotonin 5-HT CNS, GI tract enterochromaffin cell

Hormone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmmm..

And I am well aware of what serotonin is. It is a nuerotransmitter. It can't be two things at once. It is not a hormone. It is a chemical produced in the brain. Hormones, such as estrogen, progeston, and testosterone are not produced in the brain, but by the reproductive organs. You need to get your information straight.

hmmmm...

Fuzzy

QUOTE=jillio;864399
Right there it is. Migraine can be caused by either constriction or dilation of the blood vessels.
yes you did contradicted yourself.
because you claimed drinking water DILATES blood vessels (??) which RELIEVES migraine. of ocurse back at that point you didn't realised it's precisely DILATATION what causes migraine PAIN aka HEADACHE aka commonly just "migraine". hence the big blooper.

There is no such word as "pathophysiology". What are you trying to say?

oh - NO?

here's your MERCK MANUAL:

Epidemiology and Pathophysiology

Migraine: Headache: Merck Manual Professional
pathophysiology
One entry found.

pathophysiology

Main Entry: path·o·phys·i·ol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \ˌpa-thō-ˌfi-zē-ˈä-lə-jē\
Function: noun
Date: 1947
: the physiology of abnormal states; specifically : the functional changes that accompany a particular syndrome or disease
— path·o·phys·i·o·log·i·cal \-zē-ə-ˈlä-ji-kəl\ or path·o·phys·i·o·log·ic \-jik\ adjective

Definition of pathophysiology - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

you claimed to posses an extensive? vocabulary ???

And how is it that the oral contraceptives make the migraines worsen?
.....(and HRT)

educate yourself on the subject.
there is plenty of information out there, just move your butt, go to the nearest library. or at least- move those knobby fingers on the keyboard. Do you think you can trick me into handing you more info on a plate? dream on.

Fuzzy

Are you serious?
do you think someone who suffers from migraine for years wouldn't know such a basic stuff?
not only I know what foods may trigger migraine episodes, I can list you about ten times more what jillio have posted.

Did YOU know that not everyone with migraine respond the same way to food triggers? any trigger, for that matter.
For example chocolate may not trigger migraine for me but it can for you.
Did you know that it also matters HOW MUCH of a possible migraine triggering food you have - you may not get migraine episode from half a tomato but you can get it from eating the whole one. Did you know that food coloring red#5 can trigger migraine? did you know that watermelon contains natural hormone and histamine and that may trigger migraine?
Did you know that sometimes it takes a combination of two or more triggers to start a migraine? for example just eating a little square piece of chocolate may not have caused you an episode, but you were also exposed to strong light and the two together were too much for you.

I KNOW everything about migraine. I could help you A LOT with managing migraine but.. as you wish :)
buh-bye
:bye:

Fuzzy

Oh yeah sure you know everything yeah fine :roll: like i said I have seen my families went through... lol you are very sad person think you are the one who must only allow to know everything not us people from all over the world ... dafttwit you are... :sure:

The graph is showing just a general pattern of migraine and how it is related to age. while of course not every single migraine follows that pattern, the majority does. migraine tends to increase in intensity and quantity between the ages of 20-50, with the peak happening at 30-50, or more exactly according to this graph - 35- 45 y.o.
the men's line is included in this graph -it's the dotted line. the peak is very similar.

Vallee would fit into that pattern since she stated her migraines appeared when she was about 20 y.o.
The question I would like to ask, was the hearing loss somehow related to her starting migraines, or was it a coincidence.

My neurologist seems to think my migraines started because I took a big drop from moderate to profound servere in my hearing loss. I started to wear new hearing aids.

At first my migraines were labeled as allergies. It took years to get a doctor to find out that yes it is really migraines.

My neurologist, who I trust, is in a wheelchair because he has a tumor in his back. He has limited motion and hand ability. He listens and understands. He admits that he does not know all the answers. I have been seeing him for over 3 years and before surgery I was down to about 2 migraines a month. But I was on so much medicines that you could see it in my face.

Migraines do not follow a set pattern. everyone is different. That is why a doctor someone specializating in migraines needs to set up medicine and testing. I have had CT, MRI, and other test. I had bloodwork and facial nerve testing(my face goes numb on left side with a migraine). I was taken off all over the counter medicine so I did not get rebound headaches. I have tried at least 6 different type of medicine to find what works. I found a good combination, but that does not work on all people.

The purpose of this thread was to see if others who are d/hoh have migraines and if they relate to a hearing loss. I would love to find some research that is current about us. I was hoping that someone knew of something.

All I know is my migraines are gone. Gone! Do I think they would be if I only implanted one ear - No. Do I think the migraines would be around if I did not get CI - yes. Do I think the surgery and less stress and facial nerve monitor enabled the migraines to disappear - Hell yes!

My neurologist seems to think my migraines started because I took a big drop from moderate to profound servere in my hearing loss. I started to wear new hearing aids.

At first my migraines were labeled as allergies. It took years to get a doctor to find out that yes it is really migraines.

My neurologist, who I trust, is in a wheelchair because he has a tumor in his back. He has limited motion and hand ability. He listens and understands. He admits that he does not know all the answers. I have been seeing him for over 3 years and before surgery I was down to about 2 migraines a month. But I was on so much medicines that you could see it in my face.

Migraines do not follow a set pattern. everyone is different. That is why a doctor someone specializating in migraines needs to set up medicine and testing. I have had CT, MRI, and other test. I had bloodwork and facial nerve testing(my face goes numb on left side with a migraine). I was taken off all over the counter medicine so I did not get rebound headaches. I have tried at least 6 different type of medicine to find what works. I found a good combination, but that does not work on all people.

The purpose of this thread was to see if others who are d/hoh have migraines and if they relate to a hearing loss. I would love to find some research that is current about us. I was hoping that someone knew of something.

All I know is my migraines are gone. Gone! Do I think they would be if I only implanted one ear - No. Do I think the migraines would be around if I did not get CI - yes. Do I think the surgery and less stress and facial nerve monitor enabled the migraines to disappear - Hell yes!

I was born profoundly deaf in both ears and immersed in an oral only environment up until I was 28 years old. I didnt have any migraines as a child but in my early 20s, I started getting them maybe once or twice a year. However, my hearing mom and my hearing brother both suffered from them on a monthly basis since they were children so I dont know if it is related to deafness in all cases or I would be getting frequent bouts of migraines. My deaf brother who is 31 has never experienced a migraine. :dunno:

Shel,

does your brother wear hearing aids?

As a child, he did. In adulthood, he wore them on and off. When he got a job working as a rec therapist at a nursing home, he wore them daily but now since getting his job as a PE teacher at a deaf school, he has stopped. He was never consistent with wearing them.

yes you did contradicted yourself.
because you claimed drinking water DILATES blood vessels (??) which RELIEVES migraine. of ocurse back at that point you didn't realised it's precisely DILATATION what causes migraine PAIN aka HEADACHE aka commonly just "migraine". hence the big blooper.

Fuzzy, you seriously need to develop some critical thinking skills. You are so busy looking for errors in my psots that you miss the obvious. Attempting to discuss anything with you on an intellectual level, or with any degree of intelligence is quite impossible. You are not interested in learning or in exchange of information. You entire motive is to create an argument and to somehow make yourself appear to be more learned than you are. I'd like to see support for your claim that you "know everything" when even the medical community admits that there is still a lot they don't know or understand about migraine. Please enlighted us, Fuzzy. How is it that you believe you know more than the physicians. How is it that you possess more knowledge than the experts?
oh - NO?

here's your MERCK MANUAL:

Epidemiology and Pathophysiology

Migraine: Headache: Merck Manual Professional

Definition of pathophysiology - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

you claimed to posses an extensive? vocabulary ???

.....(and HRT)

educate yourself on the subject.
there is plenty of information out there, just move your butt, go to the nearest library. or at least- move those knobby fingers on the keyboard. Do you think you can trick me into handing you more info on a plate? dream on.

I spend 12 hours a day in an academic atmosphere, Fuzzy. You, ont he other hand, appear to be an agoraphobic who spends all her time on surfing the net, trying to become informed, but without the capapcity to comprehend the information she is reading. Get a grip. You are about to self destruct again. No one needs to trick you. And you're paranoia is showing agian through that statement. If I need to rely on you as a source of information, I might as well give up the quest for a Ph.D. right now. Thank God, I don't rely on you for information!

Good question, Vallee.

I have migraines. And I have headaches with too much lipreading and trying to understand speech. But I don't know if these headaches (lipreading and speech) are migraines. Sometimes I think the headache starts as regular headache and then becomes migraine.......a headache as trigger for migraine I guess.

I researched migraine and CI but don't find great answers (some better, some worse). If I find more I will post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back