headaches and migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so! I had to get off all over counter meds as well because of rebound headaches. Wait out for tomatoes, chocolate and yeast - they also give problems for migraines.

I use to make this comment to people, that sound hurt. It is very hard to discribe to someone without a hearing loss, the process of hearing sounds with a HA - even harder to discribe a CI. So I just said "sound hurts."

Went to the dr on Friday for this new episode of mild migraines popping up near my right eye daily. Before, I would get them once or twice a year but since returning work, this particular one would pop up daily and when it would go away, I would feel so exhausted and have trouble keeping my eyes open. The dr prescribed some powerful meds and to reduce caffine intake. Hope it will work.

Hope it works for you too. It doesn't sound much fun!

Went to the dr on Friday for this new episode of mild migraines popping up near my right eye daily. Before, I would get them once or twice a year but since returning work, this particular one would pop up daily and when it would go away, I would feel so exhausted and have trouble keeping my eyes open. The dr prescribed some powerful meds and to reduce caffine intake. Hope it will work.

How old are you Shel if I may ask. I found out my daily migs are mostly related to hormonal cycle, since I am 50 and probably entering peri-menopause. They are always better a week or so before the period comes (excuse me, guys).
It also looks like there could be something in your workplace, or on the way to and fro workplace, that can affect your head.
Maybe it's fluorsecent lights? Maybe some odours - nice and bad alike? Are you getting enough sleep, do you not oversleep on weekends?
perhaps noise is triggering your headaches? there could be many reasons all hard to pinpoint.. stress can weaken our immune system and thus make
us more susceptible to triggers, too.
Have you ever wrote a daily migraine journal? that really helps.

May I recommend a very good book about migraine:
I know Teri form forums. She is very good.

t3_book_front_cover_1005_web_copy.jpg

Fuzzy

Fuzzy - I did all of that! They said my migraines were also related to menstrual. So they gave me naproxen for 3 days before and during. But since implant surgery - no migraines. None! I don't understand it.

Today - I'm off all migraine medicines!!!!

My neurologist at Vanderbilt medical center said he does not know why the migraines have disappeared. He did state that stress is a big cause of most migraines. When I removed the stress of concentration for hearing, that may have stopped them. Also my tinnutis and facial numbness(this happens when a migraine comes on) is also gone. I did not want to say I am "cured." He said that no migraines since July is a good measurement that the migraines are not going to be the same as before. I told him I stopped neurotin 3 weeks ago. He said don't take anymore.

I asked him to keep an eye on research and let me know if he finds anything. Well one less doctor to see!!!!

wow I am so happy for you and must admit even envy you! this is fantastic
604.gif

Stress is a big trigger for many migraneurs, yes, so it is possible reducing stress from hearing alone made a difference. Also, since you are not exposed to overly loud sounds anymore you removed one additional trigger - sound. I also have my own personal theory- maybe during surgery the drs have "numbed" some nerves that are involved in migraine. could be...

Whatever happened is a joyous outcome!

Fuzzy

My neurologist at Vanderbilt medical center said he does not know why the migraines have disappeared. He did state that stress is a big cause of most migraines. When I removed the stress of concentration for hearing, that may have stopped them. Also my tinnutis and facial numbness(this happens when a migraine comes on) is also gone. I did not want to say I am "cured." He said that no migraines since July is a good measurement that the migraines are not going to be the same as before. I told him I stopped neurotin 3 weeks ago. He said don't take anymore.

I asked him to keep an eye on research and let me know if he finds anything. Well one less doctor to see!!!!

Congrats! I am happy for u!

That is great. I know how painful migraines are. I still get headaches but I get migraines headhahces only like once a year or so. I do get migraines auras lot more often but i don't always get the headaches with them.

Well, I only get headaches or migraines when I am under a great deal of stress or working so hard too much or busy too long or doing so many physical activies give me lot of headaches. Migraines is much more worse than a headache. But I don't get them much after my daughter was born. I get bad headache and migraines when I was pregnant. Everybody different.

That's an interesting experience Liebling. It sounds like migranes are still quite a bit mystery.

I have male friend who has one once a week and they have tried everything - gone to see a neurologist, acupuncture, change in diet but nothing seems to improve it. He basically has to lie down and wait for it to pass.

You are correct, R2D2. There is still alot that isn't known about the cause of migraines. Some are thought to be caused by hormonal imbalaces, some by lesions in specific areas of the brain. There is also believed to be a genetic component. My mother and brother both suffered migraines....my brother's disappeared at about age 16, my mother's disappeared after she went through menopause, so their history supports the hormonal theory. None of my brother's children got them, but one of his sons has a child that gets them, so there's the genetic component.

You are correct, R2D2. There is still alot that isn't known about the cause of migraines. Some are thought to be caused by hormonal imbalaces, some by lesions in specific areas of the brain. There is also believed to be a genetic component. My mother and brother both suffered migraines....my brother's disappeared at about age 16, my mother's disappeared after she went through menopause, so their history supports the hormonal theory. None of my brother's children got them, but one of his sons has a child that gets them, so there's the genetic component.

I have always believe that genetics always play a part in passing down to the family from generations to the next.

I have always believe that genetics always play a part in passing down to the family from generations to the next.

That goes without saying.

The exact cause of migraines is still unknown, although there are some hypothesis as to the cause, and it's most likely that migraine orginates in a brain stem. As researchers say, migraine is neurological disease based in genetic abnormality so yes, genetics play a role as well - and you are right, migraine can be inherited.
Hormones too are involved although they are not a cause of migraine.
I've never heard of brain lesions causing migraine - on the contrary, it's migraine who causes lesions in the brain.

Fuzzy

Hi all, yea I do get chronic migraines alot due to environmental stuff, humidity, ..

my yoga teacher told me that we need to drink more water big bottle of water or two a day... I swear it does help alot at times when I am feeling one coming I'll drink tons of water... pretty strange to think.. but it's natural way than taking pills to kill it as you will always have it if you don't know how to control it... Stress is also a factor in it as well...

take care all..

My doctor did say we don't know the brain. We really don't understand migraines enough to know the trigger. I don't have a family history of them. Mine started in my 20's after a big drop in hearing loss. At that time the doctors said allergies. I went through years and years of doctors until I finally found one who put it all together.

On the plus side, for me, my CIs stopped it. That is the only differences from June to today.

Also exercise is a good for migraines. I lost around 30 pounds before my CI and still got migraines. I also try and drink a lot of water a day. That does help since I am not drinking coke.

Nice to know a doctor listened to me yesterday! Also nice he said I don't need a follow up, you let me know if you need me.

No, I am the first person in the whole family who suffers migraine attack.

No one in my family have suffered fequent migraine headaches other than my great grandmother Gander and me.

I should note here I used to get them a lot. I don't get them very often now.

The exact cause of migraines is still unknown

Fuzzy

Yes, that´s true.

Nobody including doctors knows how/what exact migraines come from. We have to live with it until it disappear itself for good or forever... Nobody knows... I know many people search for the help how to cure migraines... I know it´s impossible but it disappear itself... It depends on human hormone.

I believe in most cases, migraines are genetic. But it could be caused by stress, too.

When I was in elementary school, I'd get headache every single Monday, no kidding, and often had to go to bed like before dinner. I recall sometimes I'd go to bed at 4.30 or so and sleep through the night until morning.

Then as I got older, I'd get migraines but headaches has not happened as much. However, I agree with you all that migraine are quite painful and it's like someone's stabbing you in the temple or wherever.

My mum'd have really bad case of migraines where she'd be abed for days on end, vomiting and stuff. Thankfully it has reduced mostly now.

Val, that's great about how much your occurence of migraines has lessened.

Shel, I hope the medication'd work for your migraines.

Hi all, yea I do get chronic migraines alot due to environmental stuff, humidity, ..

my yoga teacher told me that we need to drink more water big bottle of water or two a day... I swear it does help alot at times when I am feeling one coming I'll drink tons of water... pretty strange to think.. but it's natural way than taking pills to kill it as you will always have it if you don't know how to control it... Stress is also a factor in it as well...

take care all..

Dehydration is a big migraine trigger, so no wonder drinking water helps :)

Fuzzy

Me too.

Like Vallee, my migraines are less with exercise. If I don't run everyday or almost I get migraines.

But worst migraines are first day of vacation. Always. First day of vacation I relax, no stress, and I sleep late - headache! My brain likes stress I guess.:dunno2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back