Having perfect English....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm profoundly deaf, but I pride myself on using good English. My hearing girlfriend has told me that my English is great and so has many hearing people. I know many deaf people don't have perfect English. That is okay with me. My last deaf girlfriend didn't have good English skills. Yet, when I talk to people regardless of their English skills, I use perfect English. Just because other people use ASL grammer doesn't mean I have to use ASL grammer. What do you think?

nobody is perfect in English. Why... newspaper is on 8th grade level English

I'm profoundly deaf, but I pride myself on using good English. My hearing girlfriend has told me that my English is great and so has many hearing people. I know many deaf people don't have perfect English. That is okay with me. My last deaf girlfriend didn't have good English skills. Yet, when I talk to people regardless of their English skills, I use perfect English. Just because other people use ASL grammer doesn't mean I have to use ASL grammer. What do you think?

So what do you want? For us to call you Lord Chesterfield? :roll:

What do I think? I think you are trying to find personal value in what you do instead of who you are. And, no offense, but that post comes across as arrogant.

What do I think? I think you are trying to find personal value in what you do instead of who you are. And, no offense, but that post comes across as arrogant.

Nothing wrong with being prideful, imo unless he's trying to stir up problems. There are celebrities who are famous for their prideful (and some yet arrogant) personalities.

Nothing wrong with being prideful, imo unless he's trying to stir up problems. There are celebrities who are famous for their prideful (and some yet arrogant) personalities.

The last I checked, we don't have any celebrities on AD.:P And there is something wrong with being prideful when it is publicly stated in such a way as to imply that those who have not achieved such grand skills are a bit below those who have.:cool2: Especially on a topic as combustible as deaf and their English skills.

Poster asked what I thought; or what all posters thought. I stated my thoughts.

I think you are missing ... like me, if i see someone said about How great their english is and ask me for the opinion. ouchie. get the picture?? Of course, there is nothing wrong about the pride thingy. It is just the way OP's post was....

Sorry if it came out like I am arrogant. I'm not telling anyone that they have to use ASL or good English. I'm just saying that I like to use good English. I would use ASL grammer myself if I wanted to, but I'm more comfortable using English. I'm not "married" to Deaf Community after all. Nothing wrong with using ASL or English for communicate or writing.

The last I checked, we don't have any celebrities on AD.:P And there is something wrong with being prideful when it is publicly stated in such a way as to imply that those who have not achieved such grand skills are a bit below those who have.:cool2: Especially on a topic as combustible as deaf and their English skills.

Poster asked what I thought; or what all posters thought. I stated my thoughts.

I think you are missing ... like me, if i see someone said about How great their english is and ask me for the opinion. ouchie. get the picture?? Of course, there is nothing wrong about the pride thingy. It is just the way OP's post was....

I suppose, I understand it can come off the wrong way. I guess I'm the odd man out in this topic. It didn't look to me like he was looking for a fight or insulting anyone or something... Lots of kids like to be prideful in what they can do (misjudged sometimes) but I am not going to rub it in their face...

He did spell something wrong though. Beowulf picked it out. :eek3:

Sorry if it came out like I am arrogant. I'm not telling anyone that they have to use ASL or good English. I'm just saying that I like to use good English. I would use ASL grammer myself if I wanted to, but I'm more comfortable using English. I'm not "married" to Deaf Community after all. Nothing wrong with using ASL or English for communicate or writing.

I think you should just nip this in the bud while you can; backpedaling doesn't look good on you. :lol:

Tsk, tsk.

I think you should just nip this in the bud while you can; backpedaling doesn't look good on you. :lol:

Good point. Backpedaling in general doesn't look good in life. It can be anything---not just ASL where people try to backpedal for all it's worth and it gets worse and worse.

I suppose, I understand it can come off the wrong way. I guess I'm the odd man out in this topic. It didn't look to me like he was looking for a fight or insulting anyone or something... Lots of kids like to be prideful in what they can do (misjudged sometimes) but I am not going to rub it in their face...

He did spell something wrong though. Beowulf picked it out. :eek3:

I understand what you are saying. maybe you are righ tthat youre the odd guy. :lol: Like this situation is not the first time for me to see like that. No they are not looking for fights or insulting but oversight theit worded style of telling. :)

Good point. Backpedaling in general doesn't look good in life. It can be anything---not just ASL where people try to backpedal for all it's worth and it gets worse and worse.

Can you clarify on what this means?
Are you saying ASL users backpedal a lot?

Can you clarify on what this means?
Are you saying ASL users backpedal a lot?

It means people can do bad things in relationship in general. Do things that they're not happy with. Maybe alienate friends, you know general stuffs in life. Some times apologizing works. Sometimes not.

Back