Have you ever yelled at your dispenser?

it's like this - you bought your computer because it was advertised to be one of the fastest and most powerful stable computer ever! But... toward the deadline, you're using your computer for number crunching purpose for your research and then computer went kaput, crashing, etc. You'd yell at it, hit it.

One can say - well you should have a better time management but that's not really relevant and helping at all. so yea same thing

Actually, a computer crashing has nothing to do with time management. One can manage one's time quite efficiently, and still encounter a computer crash and lost data. The thing to do is make sure that you have backup on anything that is important. Don't put all of your faith in technology. Anything that is important and cannot be easily replaced, I have backed up, not just in backup and restore center, but on a disk at home, and a jump drive I keep at work. That way, in the case of a crash, I still have the information I need to complete the project. In the case of a fire, I do not need to worry about grabbing my computer, but can simply pick up a small box containing all of my back up disks at home, or a jump drive out of my desk drawer at work. Additionally, I have a jump drive with any in progress projects that stays with me at all times. No need to yell at or hit anything. It is not a crisis because I have planned ahead for a possible malfunction. Nor do I rely on one PC. I have a laptop that can be switched to immediately to continue whatever I was working on. Simple matter to plug in a jump drive or insert a disk and go right back to work.

Likewise with trusting technology to locate my car. Write down the location as back up in the case that technology fails.

it's like this - you bought your computer because it was advertised to be one of the fastest and most powerful stable computer ever! But... toward the deadline, you're using your computer for number crunching purpose for your research and then computer went kaput, crashing, etc. You'd yell at it, hit it.

One can say - well you should have a better time management but that's not really relevant and helping at all. so yea same thing

yeah, but he was talking about his hearing aids and was expecting the unrealistic.

Like people say, "hey, you can hear on the phone with CI" when realistically, it is only true for certain people but not everyone.

(btw, I don't know why everyone keep calling it a car dispenser when that's not what he is talking about.... He was referring to person who sold hearing aids to him)

Actually, a computer crashing has nothing to do with time management. One can manage one's time quite efficiently, and still encounter a computer crash and lost data. The thing to do is make sure that you have backup on anything that is important. Don't put all of your faith in technology. Anything that is important and cannot be easily replaced, I have backed up, not just in backup and restore center, but on a disk at home, and a jump drive I keep at work. That way, in the case of a crash, I still have the information I need to complete the project. In the case of a fire, I do not need to worry about grabbing my computer, but can simply pick up a small box containing all of my back up disks at home, or a jump drive out of my desk drawer at work. Additionally, I have a jump drive with any in progress projects that stays with me at all times. No need to yell at or hit anything. It is not a crisis because I have planned ahead for a possible malfunction. Nor do I rely on one PC. I have a laptop that can be switched to immediately to continue whatever I was working on. Simple matter to plug in a jump drive or insert a disk and go right back to work.

Likewise with trusting technology to locate my car. Write down the location as back up in the case that technology fails.

well - what she had was just a bad bad bad day with the feeling that the mystical force is out there to ruin her even though a hearing person won't be able to locate a car in parking garage. To put it in your case - sure you've got backups and stuff.... but on a really really bad day with a stroke of bad luck... your comp went kaput... jump drive's fried.. your backup drive isn't functioning properly... well you know. You go to your boss to explain about it to request for extension or whatever. He'll scold you and doesn't really care about your technical issue and will say - you should have planned this better to give yourself a sufficient amount of time with expectation of technological failure.

BTW - that's not enough redundancy you have. Jump drive will fail at anytime. Repeated uses will cause it to fatigue and then eventually get fried. Backup drive is connected to computer - it's prone to power surge and viruses. Back-up discs are not quite that reliable. It's prone to chemical degradation, physical damage caused by dvd drive or a simple scratch, and/or magnetic interference unless you bought expensive high-grade CD/DVD and place it in cd cover and stored in proper environment but that's bit unrealistic and excessive.

If you want a truly secured back-up drive, your hdd should be kept separate from any electrical devices and stored in anti-static bag. but that's just me...... with 7 hdds (3 of them for backup) and 3 laptop hdds (1 for backup) totalling over 3 terabytes.... :o Funny thing is... even though i'm a very techie person, I'm actually half-Luddite... if that makes any sense to you :confused:

well - what she had was just a bad bad bad day with the feeling that the mystical force is out there to ruin her even though a hearing person won't be able to locate a car in parking garage. To put it in your case - sure you've got backups and stuff.... but on a really really bad day with a stroke of bad luck... your comp went kaput... jump drive's fried.. your backup drive isn't functioning properly... well you know. You go to your boss to explain about it to request for extension or whatever. He'll scold you and doesn't really care about your technical issue and will say - you should have planned this better to give yourself a sufficient amount of time with expectation of technological failure.

BTW - that's not enough redundancy you have. Jump drive will fail at anytime. Repeated uses will cause it to fatigue and then eventually get fried. Backup drive is connected to computer - it's prone to power surge and viruses. Back-up discs are not quite that reliable. It's prone to chemical degradation, physical damage caused by dvd drive or a simple scratch, and/or magnetic interference unless you bought expensive high-grade CD/DVD and place it in cd cover and stored in proper environment but that's bit unrealistic and excessive.

If you want a truly secured back-up drive, your hdd should be kept separate from any electrical devices and stored in anti-static bag. but that's just me...... with 7 hdds (3 of them for backup) and 3 laptop hdds (1 for backup) totalling over 3 terabytes.... :o Funny thing is... even though i'm a very techie person, I'm actually half-Luddite... if that makes any sense to you :confused:

My dvd-cd's are very high grade and are stored properly. Its not unrealistic and excessive if you have information on the disk that is important and cannot be lost. Likewise, it is unrealistic to expect that a home PC, office PC, laptop, 3 spearate jump drives, the back up and restore, and all of my disks would fail at the same time. I back up daily because of the nature of the work I do on my computer. I have experienced a crash, and have yet to loose anything, due to the fact that I back up in several different places.

It would take more than a stroke of bad luck for me to loose data and dcouments that are located in as many different places and on many different devises as mine are. Trust me, I am careful with my files, and have yet to loose any of them, despite a PC crash a little over a year ago. So I'm not concerned. I have no less than 6 complete copies of everything. Nor am I a procratinator. I do not wait until a deadline to make sure that everything I need to have done is finished.

I simply do not see the usefullness in yelling at inanimate objects, nor in misplacing blame. It is a complete waste of time and energy.

I simply do not see the usefullness in yelling at inanimate objects, nor in misplacing blame. It is a complete waste of time and energy.

I suppose you're either a Vulcan or an android :o

My dvd-cd's are very high grade and are stored properly. Its not unrealistic and excessive if you have information on the disk that is important and cannot be lost. Likewise, it is unrealistic to expect that a home PC, office PC, laptop, 3 spearate jump drives, the back up and restore, and all of my disks would fail at the same time. I back up daily because of the nature of the work I do on my computer. I have experienced a crash, and have yet to loose anything, due to the fact that I back up in several different places.

It would take more than a stroke of bad luck for me to loose data and dcouments that are located in as many different places and on many different devises as mine are. Trust me, I am careful with my files, and have yet to loose any of them, despite a PC crash a little over a year ago. So I'm not concerned. I have no less than 6 complete copies of everything. Nor am I a procratinator. I do not wait until a deadline to make sure that everything I need to have done is finished.

I simply do not see the usefullness in yelling at inanimate objects, nor in misplacing blame. It is a complete waste of time and energy.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's true and I agree but sometimes, I yell at things when nothing seems to be going right. Doesnt mean I am blaming the objects. LOL!

Yea, that's true and I agree but sometimes, I yell at things when nothing seems to be going right. Doesnt mean I am blaming the objects. LOL!

now that's more human. It only takes 5 sec to yell at inanimate object so that's not a complete waste of time unless somebody went too far. It's good to have a healthy safe release of anger... you should know with your psych degree.

I simply do not see the usefullness in yelling at inanimate objects, nor in misplacing blame. It is a complete waste of time and energy.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I can't say I never did it when I was younger! But now I'm old, and I don't have the energy to waste!:giggle: Every little bit counts.:giggle:

now that's more human. It only takes 5 sec to yell at inanimate object so that's not a complete waste of time unless somebody went too far. It's good to have a healthy safe release of anger... you should know with your psych degree.

Actually, shel is the one with the education degree. I am the one with the psych degrees.

And you are correct: releasing anger is good. But I deal with enough crisis situations, and have experienced enough in my lifetime that I am able maintain reasonable self control. I release my anger in productive ways, and yelling at inanimate objects, or misdirecting my anger toward object and/or people that are not responsible is niether healthy nor productive. Anger can also motivate one to find solutions, and to take action that prevents annoying situations from recurring. And 5 minutes can be used productively, or it can be wasted. Add up all those 5 minute spans, and you run into quite a bit of time.

My dvd-cd's are very high grade and are stored properly. Its not unrealistic and excessive if you have information on the disk that is important and cannot be lost. Likewise, it is unrealistic to expect that a home PC, office PC, laptop, 3 separate jump drives, the back up and restore, and all of my disks would fail at the same time. I back up daily because of the nature of the work I do on my computer. I have experienced a crash, and have yet to loose anything, due to the fact that I back up in several different places.

It would take more than a stroke of bad luck for me to loose data and documents that are located in as many different places and on many different devises as mine are. Trust me, I am careful with my files, and have yet to loose any of them, despite a PC crash a little over a year ago. So I'm not concerned. I have no less than 6 complete copies of everything. Nor am I a procrastinator. I do not wait until a deadline to make sure that everything I need to have done is finished.

I simply do not see the usefulness in yelling at inanimate objects, nor in misplacing blame. It is a complete waste of time and energy.

actually it can happen to have multiple failures at once but a very very slim chance. For ie - lightning strike near or at your house. power transformer explosion. EMP bomb. We never know... these days... the viruses are increasingly sophisticated and ruthless. For ie - you saved a file from computer to jump drive and then you make multiple back-ups from jump drive. The virus can be piggy-backing along it and will be activated at certain time, erasing all of it. It could happen if somebody really hates you enough to set off that virus on you..... who knows? :dunno2: like i said - just a stroke of bad luck. a very bad one.

Actually, shel is the one with the education degree. I am the one with the psych degrees.

And you are correct: releasing anger is good. But I deal with enough crisis situations, and have experienced enough in my lifetime that I am able maintain reasonable self control. I release my anger in productive ways, and yelling at inanimate objects, or misdirecting my anger toward object and/or people that are not responsible is niether healthy nor productive. Anger can also motivate one to find solutions, and to take action that prevents annoying situations from recurring. And 5 minutes can be used productively, or it can be wasted. Add up all those 5 minute spans, and you run into quite a bit of time.

oh well whatever works for each one is fine by me as long as nobody gets hurt. :dunno2:

now that's more human. It only takes 5 sec to yell at inanimate object so that's not a complete waste of time unless somebody went too far. It's good to have a healthy safe release of anger..

Right, yelling at the objects is better than throwing the objects. :giggle:

And both are decidedly unproductive. Yelling at an object doesn't change a situation one iota.

neither does not venting your anger but it could lead to bad result by bottling it up and not getting anything done to improve the situation. but that's just me - hence my avatar. :eek2::pissed: It usually gets the job done. again... that's just me - show who is in charge and demand result. maybe that's why i have lot of wrinkles and my skin aged 10 years ahead :o

neither does not venting your anger but it could lead to bad result by bottling it up and not getting anything done to improve the situation. but that's just me - hence my avatar. :eek2::pissed: It usually gets the job done. again... that's just me - show who is in charge and demand result. maybe that's why i have lot of wrinkles and my skin aged 10 years ahead :o

LOL. Agreed that bottling up anger serves no good purpose. However, instead of either bottling it up, or using it in unproductive ways, just channel it into doing what you can to change the situation. There is a lot of energy in anger. May as well use it productively. :)

LOL. Agreed that bottling up anger serves no good purpose. However, instead of either bottling it up, or using it in unproductive ways, just channel it into doing what you can to change the situation. There is a lot of energy in anger. May as well use it productively. :)

si si!

Back