Have you EVER went to....

How much is a session, say, for 20 minutes in one of those tanning things?

It's depends where you go, every price is different, I usually take the month package which cost between 60 to 80 dollars sometimes they have specials during the summer time, it's depends really , first visit go for only 10 mins, then second or third visit 15 mins if not burn, then they go for 20 mins after that, we also have to sign a health agreement, like if something happened to you while laying in a tanning bed, then they can't sue them for any health reason....it's your own risk....and if anyone is under the age of 18, would need a parents to come down with them to sign it....ID is required for proof of age....

Tousi said:
Cat, can you explain a little more about this "sunless tanning lotion"? Hope this finds you well...

Sure... sunless tanning lotion is a chemical that makes tan on your skin which is better known as fake tan or canned tan. They come with bottle spray, foam, and lotion. You can find them at a drug store. I use Neutrogena lotion and I've always have been happy with the result. See photo below.

sunlesstanning.jpg

Information about Sunless Tanning Lotion

Full Story - Sunless Tanning Consumer Report

Catmandu

I've used it a few times....one time it works fine for me, but after that it didn't work for me because it kept messed up where you can see "orange" instead of "tan" so I just gave up when I tried to do the right way for a few times

When I was at CSUN, I went to tanning salons frequently even though I lived in a sunny place and even sunbathed by the pool often. Wasn't I crazy? :aw: I used to spend 12 to 14 hours a day laying out in the sun in broiling Arizona sun during my summer or spring or holiday breaks - man, I was stupid and crazy. I was one of these very tanned Valley girls with over bleached/processed big hair with tons of hairspray and pink lipstick, wearing miniskirts (no I didnt go around saying "gag me with spoon" ;) ).

Now I live where I rust, not tan, these days. It rains and rains so no wonder I rust these days ;) :squint:

Im too afraid to go back to tanning salons because Ive already done enough abuse to my skin. I keep thinking that I would explode or something in a tanning booth - I tried to go like a year ago but I had a phobia so I literally bailed out of the tanning booth and never returned :Oops:

BabyAngel, I know what you mean and I notice I get the orange look when I over use it or over saturate like the elbows and knees area. What I do is bend my elbows, knees and knuckles just a little then apply over them lightly. I put a glob of lotion on my face, earlobes, neck, shoulders, arms and hands real fast. I never re-apply on the same day because I'd look too orange. I'd wait the next day to see the result first then take a shower to clean up and then re-apply again. Once in awhile I'd find missing spots so I'd re-apply in these area then spread around to make it a bit more evenly. It just takes a bit of practice that's all. When done, wash hands immediately otherwise you'd have very orange hands!

The source of tanning, whether it is fake or real sun, doesn't matter. It is the tanning process itself that damages skin.

If you want to get a tan, that is your choice, no problem. I just want you to all to be aware that you are permanently damaging your skin in the process.

Tanning beds are as damaging as the real thing -- and in some respects, maybe even more so. There are two major types of ultraviolet radiation -- UV-A and UV-B rays. UV-B rays are a shorter wavelength and tend to cause sunburn (you can think of B = burning). They also damage the DNA in the skin surface cells and cause skin cancer. UV-A rays are a longer wavelength and penetrate more deeply, into the dermis, the layer under the skin surface. There, these UV-A rays damage collagen and elastin, contributing to loss of elasticity of the skin -- these rays are responsible for the dry, leathery, wrinkly skin of the chronically sun-exposed (think of A = aging). UV-A rays may also contribute to melanoma, another type of skin cancer.
Tanning beds produce UV-A rays. While it is less likely (although by no means not impossible!) to burn in a tanning bed, those UV-A rays are still damaging the deeper layers. With continued exposure and passage of time, the signs of photoaging -- wrinkles, blotchy skin, dryness -- will appear.
http://health.ivillage.com/skin/0,,5lbz,00.html

Tousi said:
That sounds grim, Cat! LOL!
Even worse when you get news from your best friend who was just diagnosed with melanoma few months ago and have been going for numerous of painful surgeries and in hope s/he is cancer free? :aw:

Tanning beds are the same risk as laying out in the sun, In fact you can get skin cancer from tanning and plus laying out in the sun. It makes no differences. It's very important not to overdo when it comes to tanning beds, If you feel that you cannot take 20 mins tanning, go for five mins or ten mins at first time. Most tanning salons have strict rules applied for first timer, which they require to go for only 10 mins max. They care about their customers, It is the non-tanners who are doing most of the burning that's why they are so careful and have strict policies. I like that better. I don't overdoing when it comes to tanning, When I'm white, I go for only 5 mins for first time, and then next time go up 5 more minutes, keep going 5 mins more the next time and on. It prevent me from getting burn. When I was in high school, I had no experience with tanning, they let me in for half hour for first time, and I was burn all over. Those people just want your money don't care about you, It is important to find a tanning salon that cares about you and your health. Or you can just tell them what time limit you would want. ;)

Cheri said:
Tanning beds are the same risk as laying out in the sun, In fact you can get skin cancer from tanning and plus laying out in the sun. It makes no differences. It's very important not to overdo when it comes to tanning beds, If you feel that you cannot take 20 mins tanning, go for five mins or ten mins at first time. Most tanning salons have strict rules applied for first timer, which they require to go for only 10 mins max. They care about their customers, It is the non-tanners who are doing most of the burning that's why they are so careful and have strict policies. I like that better. I don't overdoing when it comes to tanning, When I'm white, I go for only 5 mins for first time, and then next time go up 5 more minutes, keep going 5 mins more the next time and on. It prevent me from getting burn. When I was in high school, I had no experience with tanning, they let me in for half hour for first time, and I was burn all over. Those people just want your money don't care about you, It is important to find a tanning salon that cares about you and your health. Or you can just tell them what time limit you would want. ;)

oh boy they should explain to you , yet i know they only want the money .. interesting me that where i go the tanning booth they did give me the paper to explain that it is the risk also they did advise me what to do etc. so glad that now you know ..
And .
Yes , that is right .. when i went for the tanning booth , and they said have to go in every other day not to go everyday they will not allow to let us go everyday .. only every other days ... i used to go 3 times a week that should be enuff .. start for me from 6 mins for 2 weeks then 8 mins for other 2 weeks then 10 mins that should be enuff for me .. i get tanning very easily , as am the working lady , where i go this tanning place they only allow up to 12 mins no more .. start from 5 mins to 12 mins .. i only use go there during summer time . yet i know i have to take my own risks ..
Also before to go on the vacation where the hot weather . i go the tanning booth for 2 weeks before to go on the vacation and it does to help to not get the sunburn but have to use the sunscreen factor of 25 for start then later on into the factor of 8 .. and must to apply the aftersun too .. to keep the tanning longer ... that what i always doing it .. i hope my english is good enuff for you to read to be understand .. smile sorry for my lousy english ..
:)

CutePommie said:
oh boy they should explain to you , yet i know they only want the money .. interesting me that where i go the tanning booth they did give me the paper to explain that it is the risk also they did advise me what to do etc. so glad that now you know ..
And .
Yes , that is right .. when i went for the tanning booth , and they said have to go in every other day not to go everyday they will not allow to let us go everyday .. only every other days ... i used to go 3 times a week that should be enuff .. start for me from 6 mins for 2 weeks then 8 mins for other 2 weeks then 10 mins that should be enuff for me .. i get tanning very easily , as am the working lady , where i go this tanning place they only allow up to 12 mins no more .. start from 5 mins to 12 mins .. i only use go there during summer time . yet i know i have to take my own risks ..
Also before to go on the vacation where the hot weather . i go the tanning booth for 2 weeks before to go on the vacation and it does to help to not get the sunburn but have to use the sunscreen factor of 25 for start then later on into the factor of 8 .. and must to apply the aftersun too .. to keep the tanning longer ... that what i always doing it .. i hope my english is good enuff for you to read to be understand .. smile sorry for my lousy english ..
:)

Your english is fine, don't worry :) I can understand it clearly

Anyway, that is very good idea about staying from 8 to 12 minutes because my deaf cousin went to the tanning bed, she always go there between 5 to 15 minutes for a couple of weeks and she already got really tan.

Back