Have you ever try to talk to.....

i ALWAYS bring note and pen in my pruse all the time but sometime they feel not want to read and just nodding at me without read it ughhhh i try show the note what i wrote it down they said i am busy bye walk off fuck SHIT !!! i was soo pissed offf big time

Originally posted by eternity
someone (hearing people who don't know any sign) and they said I dont understand you and all..?

All the time, especially they are strangers. I speak pretty well enough to carry on a conversation. At first, when I got hired to work at this electricity company, my boss had a hard time understanding me, but after a few weeks, he got used to my voice and understand me more and more.

For those people who might not have patience with me, I just simply dot it down and see from there. No biggie for me. :thumb:

Originally posted by Darlin Tweety
i ALWAYS bring note and pen in my pruse all the time but sometime they feel not want to read and just nodding at me without read it ughhhh i try show the note what i wrote it down they said i am busy bye walk off fuck SHIT !!! i was soo pissed offf big time

Strangers? or Friends?

I have problem with eternity , but i can speak very well .. I dont have problem other aisling .. :cheers:

Originally posted by DirtyOldMan
I used to put in some efforts to communicate... now I just don't give a fuck about it. If they put effort in it. Then it's all good. :D

Same here! :cool:

i usually just write down or point to what i want to order with this area having a HIGH concentration of hispanics and sometimes they dont read english very well but can read pics or know items whatever i point to or have memorized the menu to know what im pointing at

I point. Write. Speak rarely because I tell my sis/boyfriend when I have one if they're hearing/my mom...anyone who is hearing next to me... I tell them because I am not going to deal with the dummies. :D

Most of the time I'd use pen & paper to avoid misunderstanding. Sometimes I forget to bring pen along with me... they can be so stupid when I ask for pen & paper, they go like what (act like idiot) I sign PEN on my palm, they just stand there like idiot not understand what Im trying to say then I'd get little pissed off and I'd give them ugly look and repeat said "PEN on my palm" and they go Ohhhh!! :roll:

Originally posted by ~Heather~
Most of the time I'd use pen & paper to avoid misunderstanding. Sometimes I forget to bring pen along with me... they can be so stupid when I ask for pen & paper, they go like what (act like idiot) I sign PEN on my palm, they just stand there like idiot not understand what Im trying to say then I'd get little pissed off and I'd give them ugly look and repeat said "PEN on my palm" and they go Ohhhh!! :roll:

well I must have got off lightly if I forget to ask for a pen I just make a gesture -thumb and forefinger down and make it look like im writing then point toward my ear and shake head same time-voila! I get a pen but sometimes it takes 2 tries to get my point acorss but it works almost every time

I usually would just grab a pen from somewhere. Like in mcdonald's...I saw one so I pointed at it...and everyone else was talking to each other wondering what food was there..lol.

I speak sometimes, point at the menu at resturants, pen n paper... I had similar plms as Heather ugh!. I hate when it happens lol

Yeah, I tend to talk first to the person taking my order, and if they don't understand then I'll ask to write it down. But because writing down things is time consuming, some people really dislike doing this. Sometimes I just talk and point at something, and they'll soon pick up the meaning of what I want. Fortunately I can talk and lip read well enough to be able to communicate clearly, but my main difficulty is background noise, if I'm too quiet they can't hear me and I can't lipread them that well if they're busy or something. I wish hearing people were more patient sometimes, it'd be well worth their effort. Also if hearing people working in a business environment were more patient with deaf people, then deaf people would continue to use that service.

Ziusudra

Originally posted by funnybebe78
if I see a hearing person or whatever I just use a pen and paper I have pen and memo pad in my purse all the time ;) if I want something I wud just point at it if something is near me what i want I wud just point at it.. if I want something they don't understand I have to write it down ugh.. it's funny that my bro don't realize i can order for myself :eek:

I agree...if I'm not understood in a situation, then out comes the pen and paper...and I write it down straight to the point, to avoid any confusion. :)
Most of the times, I don't cos I can speak quite well but lip reading not really..hahaha...so...pen and paper will do for me. :)
But I have had to deal with some inconsiderate hearies who don't want to bother with paper and pen and want to try talking with me and make me understand, DOH!!! Grrr...

Goldie

Nope. Never had a problem. But then again, my friends are all hearing, my parents and sisters are, everyone I know is. Hell, I have more problems going BACK into the deaf community and trying to sign after relying so heavily on speaking.

Smartiesgeek -- Last I heard, I thought they closed down the Oncue or whatever it was called, in Indy? I'm not from there, nor do I ever really go there, but as far as I knew, wasn't that the only Under-21 club in Indy? Or did it not close down? Or am I just a dumbass who doesn't know enough about the city?

I tend to speak, most people can understand my speak, i speak very well, since i am not born deaf, but become profoundly deaf at 11 yrs old. but i can't read lips very well, when hearies try to talk to me i tell them to say it again, or hand them over a pen and tell them to write it down. it helps me, but some people just get scared and walk away :mad: hate when that happens!

Yah, I do that and do there. I had say something really simply and hearing ppl not understand because of nervous to deal with deafies. u know why? I say "Hello" They not understand what I SAY!!! Oh my goodness!! I grab the paper and pen and say :Hello: They gluped!!! See that was soo simply to understand. I used to talk with hearing ppl and had good body language. U know I am mute, not talk well but ONLY low voice that they cant hear me. :D

no i haven't. I have talked to hearing people while signing. It slipped and I got embarrassed about it. They were looking at me like I was crazy or something. I guess, I was trying to make sure they understood what I was saying and all. I dont even know ASl fully anyway so it did surprised me that I tried signing to people that don't signing at all.

Originally posted by blackmercedez
no i haven't. I have talked to hearing people while signing. It slipped and I got embarrassed about it. They were looking at me like I was crazy or something. I guess, I was trying to make sure they understood what I was saying and all. I dont even know ASl fully anyway so it did surprised me that I tried signing to people that don't signing at all.

Heh...although I didn't make that mistake of signing whilst talking with hearing people, but whenever I get stuck on a word or sentence that I'm trying to pronounce. I convert to signing, hoping that they'd understand me, hahaha! No help there! :P
Signing does help me express better of how I feel and what I WANT to say.
I sometimes do that when I'm signing in AUSLAN -- and I cannot find the right sign nor don't know sign in AUSLAN, I switch over to ASL and then spell it out in AUSLAN fingerspelling and ask what sign for it in AUSLAN.

Goldie

Back