Have you ever been pulled over by the cops?

So how does tint laws work if you are going through the east coast?
Maryland resident goes to NJ, and NY. What happens if they get pulled over?

You pull out your Oregon driver's license and they let ya go....:lol:

We've driven our tinted-windows cars up and down the East Coast for many years without any problems.

I think in most places the only reason you will get stopped for tint is if there is a crackdown,you look suspicious or the cop is having a bad day....... The tickets can be high though

You pull out your Oregon driver's license and they let ya go....:lol:
What about California? I was surprised to read this:

"Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law."

That means we could never drive our cars in California. :(

I'm surprised that a sunny state like California wouldn't be tint friendly.

This was rather surprising, too:

"Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night."

What a hassle!

"Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law."

"Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night."

What a hassle!

At first blush, yeah, that seems surprising; however, if I recall correctly, we can have any windows tinted except for the windshield, save the top (8 inches??) that comes that way from the factory. I could be wrong about, for example, the driver's side window.

P.S. Ooops, didn't see your last paragraph.

What a hassle!
Alternative, no choice but to rent a car.

I think I may know the reason for that, in chem we were told that the substance for tint doesn't fully decrease the intensity of UV rays, it acts as a suppressor for the amount passing through.

But more importantly for the heat generation; tint was proved to have just as much bad effects as good due to the forms of solar radiation. (infrared, convection)

It doesn't stop people from tinting though, they still do it anyway.

At first blush, yeah, that seems surprising; however, if I recall correctly, we can have any windows tinted except for the windshield, save the top (8 inches??) that comes that way from the factory. I could be wrong about, for example, the driver's side window.

P.S. Ooops, didn't see your last paragraph.
California law:

California Window Tint Law

I think I may know the reason for that, in chem we were told that the substance for tint doesn't fully decrease the intensity of UV rays, it acts as a suppressor for the amount passing through.

But more importantly for the heat generation; tint was proved to have just as much bad effects as good due to the forms of solar radiation. (infrared, convection)

It doesn't stop people from tinting though, they still do it anyway.
The interior of cars that are tinted feel cooler.

I notice that when I sit next to the untinted windows I get a sunburn on one side of my face.

What are the bad solar radiation effects of window tinting?

I like tinting in the back windows so people can't easily see what I have in my car.

When I sleep in my car, I put up window shades with suction cups to block out more sun, and for privacy.

The interior of cars that are tinted feel cooler.

I notice that when I sit next to the untinted windows I get a sunburn on one side of my face.

What are the bad solar radiation effects of window tinting?

I like tinting in the back windows so people can't easily see what I have in my car.

When I sleep in my car, I put up window shades with suction cups to block out more sun, and for privacy.

that's why Florida doesn't have strict tint law. Generally - sunny states do not tint laws like NJ/CA.

we have one because NJ police unions lobbied for it. It went into effect in 2003. Some cops got hurt/killed in the line of duty cuz they were not able to see inside as they approached the vehicle during routine traffic stop.

sleep in car? in some states - it's illegal. I suppose you mean something like catching a quick snooze at college parking lot while you wait for next 'terp session?

What a hassle!

it may be a Nazi-like law but it's not always enforceable. It's just something for officer to charge you with if he's having a bad day.

Tint Law does not apply to out-of-state drivers except neighbor states (I think). That's why we have many drivers here with Florida license plates.

...sleep in car? in some states - it's illegal. I suppose you mean something like catching a quick snooze at college parking lot while you wait for next 'terp session?
Yes. :)

It's common for lots of students to sleep in their cars before or between classes.

CA Tint laws suck, but people still do it. I think the law is still in place because of the same sort of stereotype that used to be placed on cell phone users back in the early 90s; drug-dealing. I don't think it's so much as a public safety issue (yeah, I can see where sometimes, very minimally though, that I as a civilian driver need to see what the other driver is looking at) as it is a stereotype issue.

My brother used to be in the Marines at Camp Pendleton in San Diego. When he and his buddies would get pulled over for speeding (105+ mph) they would just show their military ID's and a simple "be safe".

I got pulled over a lot last year for not having "current" regs. Car wouldn't pass smog. Unlucky really. There's some other posts about my experiences and overall they just suck.

Most cops are ok. Some pretend to be hard-asses just so they're in control of the situation. Best advice about pull-overs I ever got was from a trainee who was deciding on a career but never did it: when you get pulled over, always turn off your ignition and place your keys on the dashboard and your hands on the steering wheel - if you have guests, tell them to put their hands on the seat in front of them. This signals the officer that you know what the stop is about and you're not doing anything worse than a simple traffic violation. Early trust defuses the tension for officer.

I used to hate CHP, but a few days ago I saw this trooper make a full stop in this risky lane before a huge highway interchange mess. He was pulling a huge amount of debris of the road in a single lane with nothing but one car behind him to protect him. Cars whizzing past him 70 mph; not much warning ahead, single lane stop. I was astounded. Balls of steel. Playing frogger in traffic to prevent accidents. I know I don't get the same amount and for good reason.

Yeah, it has to do with the mechanics of the film itself and the type you buy. I believe they have different ratings for not just the % of darkness reflectivity, but for heat transfer as well.

Science itself will show that in heat convection, it has already passed through a solid will remain there for periods of time until it slowly rises and disperses itself. The problem with the tint is that the heat that has been transmitted inside will be lower than the outside temperature, which nulls the point of the purpose of keeping heat out (like in a parked car outside).

It will reduce heat from simple solar radiation which is one of the intended purposes aside from privacy.

If you've noticed on a really hot day when you get in a car with no tint, you may not feel the temperature transition because the heat has escaped outside quickly. But getting into a tinted car, you might feel the change.

Back