Have you cut off contact from your family for some reason?

sorry to hear some of you guys problem with family.

I really want to cut off contact with my family becuase they always overprotect on me, since my dream move to Toronto area. They won't let me go grrr.

GoldenLeaf74 said:
sorry to hear some of you guys problem with family.

I really want to cut off contact with my family becuase they always overprotect on me, since my dream move to Toronto area. They won't let me go grrr.

oh wow sound like my mom wont let me go. :lol: but I do love my mom :lol:

cut off the family? its what i do i m so used to be so independant i conintue to ignore my family once a while i dotn mean my children since i have none besides there s always problem that i dont want to be part of

Man, I need to be more independent but I hope that 2007 will be the year for me to go out and live in college. I want privacy!

yes

I have also cut off alot of family memebers dueto drinking on their end or abuse issues .
I am not setting myself up anymore and have learned I am happier this way

My father........ He signed me and my sisters off to my mother! He didn't want anything to do with us anymore... He's very abused type of person and a drug dealer.. No contact him..... I got my mother who I whom love and my step father, also my 4 sister!! They are what I need and they are my best friends.... We have eachother 100% And thats all I need!! It's called LOVE and FAMILY! :) :angel:

IF I ever do get married, I'd take off and never be in contact with them again!

Gosh some parents could never admit their mistakes and always lies and stay in denial! Those are MY parents! They have lots of Irish BS!

yes, I have. I cut off all contact with my father, because he was extremely abusive.

but a few years later, I made a resolution to forgive everyone and that included my father. I visit him rarely and when I do, it's always awkard.

Unfortunately, Yes and No, I had cut-out my mother for a period of three years of no contact and then I realized life was too short to be bitter, So, I made peace with her, She hasn't change, not even for thirty-five years. I was hoping she would come around, be a better person a mother that she never been to me. It would be a shocker if that ever happened, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Sometimes, I wondered and wondered why being deaf was a big deal to her? And why she is such a hater. She knows the answers, or does she? I wouldn't know, I gave up caring and wondering what her issues are.

Sarah, I gotta tell you hun. No matter how small or big the issue is with your family that you had cut off, Just live your life and forgive them, that's what I do, because I cannot live with regrets. Sometimes I feel that I might will regret cutting my mother off all together forever, but to be honest she is my mother, no matter what she had done to me over the years to years. Deep down I still love her somehow.

yes, my 2nd oldest brother because he was extremely abusive toward my parents and me few months before and after my father passed away. I filed a restraining order against him in 1982 and haven't spoke to him since. He had attempted to kill me so many times and this is why I am not taking any chances with him now because he's HIV+ (from sharing needles).. I'm staying away from him to prevent him to infect me with a slow death - HIV+/ AIDS.. Sorry for sounding harsh but I'm not taking any chances.

Like Cheri said, life is too short.

I don't feel comfortable with cutting off contact from any member of my family because I believe in being there for my family, no matter what.

In the end, it's only your family and a few true friends who will be there for you when you need someone. Life's too short to stay angry at each other.

I can understand why some people would cut contact off due to abuse which is an entirely different subject. Though I must admit that there are awfully a lot of dysfunctional families being mentioned here. Especially for the deaf because of communication issues.

Well, all I can say is I hope for the best for all of you and your families.

Cutting off contact from family is the selfish thing to do.

Someday we might need them....

Look at what happen to my Aunt in Law, she was hit by Katrina
and it destroyed her house completely....
She had not contacted us in years.... but my mom called
and wondered about her...

My Aunt in Law had nobody to help her, and family members all cave in
and gave her house, furniture, pot and pan, and clothes and some money too.

Not when family has been very abusive. My dad and his wife was very physically abusive to me. Now I have nothing to do with my dad and his wife. It's better this way.
I agree with you..

I stop contact my father bec he kept disappear from me since I was 5. So I dont need to contact him. Why should I? I have friends who are my family. Thats good enuff for me.

Okay, I agree with what Banjo just said above.

I am not in contact with many of my relatives in Tennessee - not by choice - they just don't call me nor send me E-mail messages. I have kind of accepted that. They know where to find me!

I have some relatives in Indiana, Georgia and California that I keep in contact with on daily basis.

I have already cut my contact with my aunts, uncles, and cousins here because at family gatherings they usually make me feel left out, and they are selfish people, even 2 face behind my back worse even, play favoriteism for my other cousins. They doesn't accept who I am and my disbalities. I am tired of them being ignorant people and always ignore me, act like I don't even exist!!! Last family gathering I went was x-mas 2004 at my aunt's house. After that, I decided to stop going to family gatherings. Everytime my mom and brothers go there, they would ask my family how I am doing... they are so stupid. If they want to know about me, they can read newspaper, thats what newspapers are for.... When my uncle had b day party for his grandkid last may, it was lucky because I worked overnight shift, and I got to sleep in that my mom knew not to bother me :) I have always find excuses for not going to family gatherings.

My relatives never contact me, never bother to call and e-mail me. I am very lucky to have grandparent because they are nicer than my relatives, and they treat me with respect, accept who I am, and willing to visit my family more often.

If my relatives want to see me, they have to grow up and change their attitude and be more welcoming and accepting then I can re-join family. It is their loss that I haven't seen them since 2004. If I am ever married, I hope my in laws treat me better and be more welcoming.

Cutting off contact from family is the selfish thing to do.

Someday we might need them....

Look at what happen to my Aunt in Law, she was hit by Katrina
and it destroyed her house completely....
She had not contacted us in years.... but my mom called
and wondered about her...

My Aunt in Law had nobody to help her, and family members all cave in
and gave her house, furniture, pot and pan, and clothes and some money too.
You have no right to say that cutting off ties from family is the selfish thing to do. It seems that you never had any experiences of being abused. It really depends on the severity of abuse. What my brother did to me was horrendous. It makes me shudder with hate & fear everytime I talk about him.

Well........ to be honestly ....... cuttin urself off from the family can be a good way of doing that but it only hurt urself more.....
I for one thing have cut off from my family recently I got so tired of listening to the "dramas"....... plus I got tired of sitting around waiting to hear from any of them to let me know what's going on about my sister's surgery for tumor in her brain......... One thing after another....... I just get to the point that i've left several e-mails and offline messages and even called them on the phone ....... Nothing have been returned to me like closer to amonth later......... so I explained the situation and say well I guess I pretty much get the idea that I'm "INVISIBLE".....
They will realized one day later down the road that they're missing someone....... or maybe just "FORGOT"
I'm now currently moving on dealing with whatever I have in my life to deal with on my own.... I have nothing to do with them at this point....... Now that I don't have a family ........ they're dead.... {they're still alive somewhere }....... That's about all i have to day for my behalf of the comment..........

I has been quite cut my adopt father since when I was 16yrs old and unwanted contact w/him anymore until he pop up at my hospital same time birthing my 1st son.. He say awesome baby boy... I *nodded* him afterall I have not seen him ever since.. He knew I disowed him for long time.. (long story issues abuse/put me hell slave life)

Rest of my adopt family, no further contact w/me.. I have no idea why... I believe I was angrily at them reason they aren't willing drive up and visit us my family another town... Wha... a cheap they are prefer staying their homeland where closer to their siblings and next kin... Espically not me...

And also, Few times.. I've contact my birth mother and siblings but since hasn't hear from them likely a year from now... *Strange* I have no idea why they are stopped contact us..

Not when family has been very abusive. My dad and his wife was very physically abusive to me. Now I have nothing to do with my dad and his wife. It's better this way.

why they hit you for?

Did they try so hard to be a parent to you, but don't know how
but physically abuse you instead?

Back