Have anyone take your kid(s) away from you.....

I do have a bad experience with CAS in the past. I grew up having one older brother and I was unaware of my parents secret til when I was 16. My parents got the letter from CAS telling them that they found their son... That night my mom called me to meet my parents in their room and my dad was the one who told me the truth. I was very stunned and confused. My oldest brother was out somewhere and I wasn t aware of that. It hit me so hard...I met him few months later and he looked so much like my father. It was emotional renuion and right now, Jason and I are pretty much closer than he is with the rest of my family. I shared him my personal letter and expressed how I really felt and lots of things to bring us closer together. Jason and my family are trying to build relationship in spite of a large hole in his life away from his birth family. My parents broke up when my mom was pregnant with Jason when my mom was around 16-17 years old and CAS pressured her into given Jason up for an adoption and when my mom was about to give birth they had to put her to sleep to deliver him and she never saw the baby again til we found him .. it took them 22 years to find him. Now I have two brothers to protect me :)

I do understand now that the law has changed about the CAS situations about adoption... Right now, I have had another experience with CAS that have never come to my door til a month ago or two, someone called them and complained that I had a baby crying at 12 am and my husband and I were staying up a lot later than that and there were no baby crying in here. I have a daughter who would come upstairs if she need me but she was asleep and in the middle room was my son in crib, he has hardly cried but only for five minute when he protested to go to bed, but that was it! .. and the other problem was that the middle room, there s no way that the other people would hear the baby crying from the middle room ... it s really stupid and wasted the CAS time :mad: Thankfully, they saw that there s no problem with the kids or anything so they closed the case!

Wow. I guess this is more common than I thought. Recently I went up to Santa Rosa and met a sweet couple who have a mild mental disability but they were able to socialize and understand how to interact. They are deaf also and the mother... they has a long list of disabilities but nevertheless, they married and recently had an infant. The couple told their amazing story because they used to live on... ID "Independent Disability" or something like that welfare... and they felt that it was not necessary to live on welfare since the husband was able to find a steady job doing construction and remodeling and after they left the welfare, they had social worker and child protection workers harassing them. Their... "conseulor" at that ID welfare kept making false reports about them leaving their infant home alone all the time and many other ricidiolous accusation. YOu see, the mother is a stay-home mother because she is blind in one eye and she doesn't have that great of english... one day, the police showed up at her apartment and starting to speak with her about the CAS allegations but she couldn't understand them and tried to ask for her husband who has a better knowledge of english. The cops refused let her to contact her husband and forced her to learn how to interact with them WITH NO INTERP. She can communicate thru interp, but she cannot understand the hearing people- lipreading or writing so she was upset and the cops thought she was a bad mother because she couldn't talk to them and they tried to took her infant but lucikly the roomate who live with both (deaf also) stopped them and wrote to them that she is disabled and she doesn't know english well and needs an interp. The roomate stood up for her and kept demanding the cops to get an interp but the cops refused.. so he ended up calling one free-lance interp to rush down to their apt before anything worst could happen...

In the end, the reports were dropped because there are *NO* proof to the allegations and they kept their baby but they said that they now live in fear of the cops every time they see them dwindling around their home.

Is it terrible? I was like, "Wait a minute... are we living in the millienum? The cops shouldn't act like that... there are a lot of equality laws passed so those outrageous acts should stop a long time ago."
Also I have noticed that it is more common in the country or suburbs... or maybe I have heard stories from those areas more than the urban areas.

hey gnarly, If im right i think i know those two poeple. I happen to be a former Santa Rosan, born and raised there, and yes cops there really have no respect for the deaf, reason being too many DV happens there.

there is only two cops that actually knows sign langauges, ones a sheriff and one's a city officer, that city officer now works in the county jail, the sheriff's deputy is working in the south part of sonoma county ( on santa rosa ave. and down town near roseland district) , and i do know that person very well, she has been thru alot of situation with the cops on numerous of time, and i used to be that girl's roommate ( if its the same gal i know well) and yes she does have alot of english problems but it shouldn't have barriered her from keeping the child. the main thing is the kid is loved and communicated and etc. I commend the roommate for putting a stop to this, I know too many deafies are too afraid of cops cuz of this communication barriers!

The one officer that since retired has told me himself that he gets fustrated deafies who just doesn't understand the laws, and i since told him many aren't fully educated on this issues, and if cops can take the time out to really communicate then it would prevent any nasty repuations, seems it still is an ongoing situation. I hope that the gal had managed to go to the CIL where the DCARA branch is based now and communicated with two of the staff there that is working closely with the clients to ensure that nothing ever happens. Ur welcome to IM me if u need my handle name's right here ( JAVAPRIDE is my AIM) u can IM me at a later time as im currently kinda busy at the moment. BUT i stopped by my puter and saw this comment so had to come in here...

As far as im concerned too many poeple are always a constant fear of cops.... this coming saturday we will be meeting with the Hawaii police captain to reduce the fears of officers coming for unapparent reason and to make sure we can work together as a deaf community and as a cizten working with officers with out fear and reprecussions.

If someone take my kid away from me! i will be very angry for that.. the world need uddy what their lesbo or gay or bi or straight who are... they cant stop their kids from mother or father.. sometime they dont make sense for take kids away from them BUT BUT depend on parents are unfit n dont have jobs or dont have home.. u know what i mean???

This is very interesting thread, Ive never heard of CAS before. What do CAS stand for? I'm sorry for those who had gone through difficult times with cops/social workers. I'm glad I'm aware of this now, in case if I have a kid in the future I'd watch out for a surprise visit from the government. How can this make happen when a social worker walks into your life when you just had a baby? Only if you are on welfare and/or you're financially independent? Or just because you are deaf or any kind of disability no matter what how rich you are?

if this kind of CAS shit happens, they still wouldn't give a shit if you are married to a hearing person, or even if you are just hard of hearing, or that you are abit slow to hear sounds coming through your ears...(this happens to some people, who aren't proably hard of hearing but hears sounds slower than some other people though, I forgot what that is called.)

e -- i think CAS stands for "children's advocacy services" (at least this is my best guess)

TweetyBird said:
If someone take my kid away from me! i will be very angry for that.. the world need uddy what their lesbo or gay or bi or straight who are... they cant stop their kids from mother or father.. sometime they dont make sense for take kids away from them BUT BUT depend on parents are unfit n dont have jobs or dont have home.. u know what i mean???

I know what you means but since we are talking about deafies that own kids that hearies would think deafies CANT handle their kids. :)

I not have kids but if I adopt/born kid then I WOULD eye on CAS or CPS. :)

I've heard of children being taken away cuz their parents were deaf. They found out that the parents were deaf and never completed their education properly. They were still on 3rd grade reading level. They couldn't communicate with anyone in the outside world. They couldn't do anything. They felt that the parents weren't ready or fit to be parents. It's like 3rd graders raising kids.

VamPyroX said:
I've heard of children being taken away cuz their parents were deaf. They found out that the parents were deaf and never completed their education properly. They were still on 3rd grade reading level. They couldn't communicate with anyone in the outside world. They couldn't do anything. They felt that the parents weren't ready or fit to be parents. It's like 3rd graders raising kids.
well, on this part, I do agree with you.

I do think those ppl like those you were talking about aren't meant to be parents because they weren't educated very well, and proably wouldn't even know what to do with a one-year old baby or something like that...so, not only they are deaf...because they aren't very educated, and that would be pretty embrassassing.

hmm, I wonder if that happened to you before...like with my first son I gave birth at hospital, I had social worker visit me and asked me stupid questions like how will I know if the baby cry, etc...I told social worker that I have baby alarm and I have everything I need for the baby and stuff. :madfawk: @ social worker. I ain't stupid, I know they will find something like try to take my baby away if I don't have or whatever to provide, etc... :roll: I was peeved when nurse told me that social worker will be visiting me I didn't like that at all -- it just feels like they had to check on me cuz I'm deaf, to see if I know how to be a parent or whatever. Sheesh. I just don't bother to ask them questions...I just answered their stupid questions they asked then done! It just took like 10-15 mins then they are gone. Sorry, I just don't trust them social worker. :mad:

Oh, then when I had my 2nd baby...didn't have social worker come visit me. Thank goodness. :D

Last edited:
~Heather~ said:
hmm, I wonder if that happened to you before...like with my first son I gave birth at hospital, I had social worker visit me and asked me stupid questions like how will I know if the baby cry, etc...I told social worker that I have baby alarm and I have everything I need for the baby and stuff. :madfawk: @ social worker. I ain't stupid, I know they will find something like try to take my baby away if I don't have or whatever to provide, etc... :roll: I was peeved when nurse told me that social worker will be visiting me I didn't like that at all -- it just feels like they had to check on me cuz I'm deaf, to see if I know how to be a parent or whatever. Sheesh. I just don't bother to ask them questions...I just answered their stupid questions they asked then done! It just took like 10-15 mins then they are gone. Sorry, I just don't trust them social worker. :mad:

Oh, then when I had my 2nd baby...didn't have social worker come visit me. Thank goodness. :D
That's interesting, I never had a social worker to come visit when Austin was born. Didn't have one to visit when Kieran was born either.

:roll: at idiot hearie social workers who doesnt realize there ARE baby alert equipment already on hand for new mom's and shit like that -- theyre so dumb! but yea i agree they need to be educated and BIG time -- Deaf parents do just fine parenting!

Jeremy have always told me not to answer the door if it's people we don't know even CAS. He told me to see the window to see if it's somone I know or not before answering the door. I am concerned if social worker would come vist me then take my baby away from me! :( Any advices or anything for me???

Back