Have any of you ever had laser surgery to correct your vision?

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Just wondering as I'm considering undergoing a procedure somewhat like this.

I think I'm eligible because I'm short-sighted but I dunno whether to go for the implanted surgery or laser eye surgery.

Bring on your thoughts and experiences on board. :ty:

I want to have one too. Some people suggested that have one of your eye to be corrected first then if you have a success, then do it for other eye. I have several friends who undergo the laser surgery and all of them came out fine. Money is the roadblock for me :(

I had laser surgery on both eyes, same day, to correct my nearsightedness. No problems, still doing fine. :)

I had laser surgery on both eyes, same day, to correct my nearsightedness. No problems, still doing fine. :)

Good for you. How long ago was it when you've had it done? Also did the Dr say you might need glasses someday when you hit the old age or something?

I want to have one too. Some people suggested that have one of your eye to be corrected first then if you have a success, then do it for other eye. I have several friends who undergo the laser surgery and all of them came out fine. Money is the roadblock for me :(

Hope you'll get it done someday. How much does it cost in America?

Here I saw you can get it done from $4600-$7000

My brother is almost legally blind wearing thick eye glasses so he got laser eye sugery and it was worth and his got perfect visions now without his glasses. It worth it since it cost lot of money. But I am glad my brother happy about that since he have no problem so far for 4 years now.

A friend of mine had that...she became blind for 1 or 2 years and now her sight is back and never do it again.

So everyone is different in my opinion.

Some insurance will cover it but not all I think..

A friend of mine had that...she became blind for 1 or 2 years and now her sight is back and never do it again.

So everyone is different in my opinion.

Some insurance will cover it but not all I think..

well, insurance will only cover half not all of it. Since it still part of comstic sugery. it cost my brother $5,000 for both eyes.

Good for you. How long ago was it when you've had it done? Also did the Dr say you might need glasses someday when you hit the old age or something?
About four years.

I've already hit "old age". :) Before I had the surgery I wore bifocals. Now I only need reading glasses.

Before I had the surgery I had to wear glasses from the time I got up until the time I went to bed. I couldn't drive or watch TV without glasses. Now I can see at distances without glasses, and I can drive and watch TV without glasses.

...How much does it cost in America?

It cost me $1,400 total for both eyes. I think the cost has gone down since then to about $1,000.

Hubby paid cash for my surgery. Insurance did NOT pay for it.

It cost me $1,400 total for both eyes. I think the cost has gone down since then to about $1,000.

Hubby paid cash for my surgery. Insurance did NOT pay for it.

The cost of eye sugery is different everywhere so my brother insurance only cover half not all of it. But to him it worth it to see better.

About four years.

I've already hit "old age". :) Before I had the surgery I wore bifocals. Now I only need reading glasses.

Before I had the surgery I had to wear glasses from the time I got up until the time I went to bed. I couldn't drive or watch TV without glasses. Now I can see at distances without glasses, and I can drive and watch TV without glasses.

That's awesome! :)

I have not had it yet, but I am saving for the surgery. I want it! I hate my glasses.

My mother's friend just had two eye laser surgeries. Her first doctor was not a good job so she decided to see another doctor in two weeks later. Now, she is sooo happy to see anything without her glasses for the first time in some 30 years. Wish you a Good Luck!

Last edited:

Yes, that's what Dr. said the same thing to my friend who decided for eye-laser at several years ago. They told my friend that eye-laser surgery should be limited up to 3 times if my friend want to have it done again later when he lost his eye-sight again due his age...

After eye-laser surgery, my friend love it and feel free for not wear glass all the day. Unfortunlately public health insurance do not cover the cost for him. Public health insurance only cover the cost for any emergencies if the insurer lost their eye-sight or soon to go blind. My friend's case is not an emergency. It cost my friend EUR 5,000 ($7,288) for both eyes.

No, I haven't, but I really really want to get it done. I am not liking contacts anymore. I have nearsightedness too.

Hope you'll get it done someday. How much does it cost in America?

It cost about 1500-2500$ USD depending on the physician and facility AND most importantly the laser equipment used. FYI, there are some better than others.

It cost about 1500-2500$ USD depending on the physician and facility AND most importantly the laser equipment used. FYI, there are some better than others.

The price's not too bad compared to Australia, really. I think that's the sort of price that's not beyond many people's means.

Hope you'll get it done someday. Yeah, I know what it's like to dislike putting contacts in your eyes.

FYI:

LASIK prices, after rising for several years, seemed to stabilize in 2006 and 2007. Industry sources report that the average LASIK price in late 2006 was about $1,950. In 2007, LASIK and laser-based procedures charged at a single price (no extra charges added on for new technologies) cost an average $2,099 (see charts below).

In comparison, LASIK in 2002 was $1,550-$1,600; by October 2003 it had risen to $1,710; at the end of 2004, it was a little over $1,800; and in 2005 it was $1,965. These averages take into account procedures performed at surgeon-owned laser centers, institutions, and corporate laser centers. Also, keep in mind that earlier prices do not reflect new technologies of wavefront analysis and laser-created flaps, which have been adopted for widespread use only in recent years.

A leading multi-center LASIK provider, TLC Laser Eye Centers, reported an average per procedure fee of $2,000 in early 2007 and 2006. In 2002, the average procedure fee was $1,800. In the fourth quarter of 2004, TLC's average price was $1,957. In 2005 and into 2006 and 2007, however, it has remained around $2,000. At TLC, an extra charge of $350 to $500 per eye is added for wavefront analysis combined with IntraLase.

Another national provider, Lasik Plus, reported in 2007 that its per procedure prices at various centers had increased about 2% from $1,344 in 2005 to $1,387 in 2006.
Cost of LASIK Eye Surgery (Updated June 2007) - AllAboutVision.com

Back