Have any of you ever had laser surgery to correct your vision?

Defraying Eye Surgery Cost: Insurance and Financing
Most vision insurance plans don't cover refractive surgery because they consider it cosmetic. However, some employers make arrangements with a given LASIK center (or refractive surgery center) for a special price. Also, you may qualify for a tax deduction for refractive surgery, so check with an accountant.

You may be tempted to choose a surgeon based only on the fee charged, but that is not smart. What is better is to choose the best surgeon you can find and then, if you need it, get the most affordable financing you can. Think of it this way: If you choose Surgeon A who charges $400 less than Surgeon B, but you know that Surgeon B has more experience, you are risking your vision for the sake of $1 per day over the course of 13 months. Is the higher risk really worth the monetary savings?

Financing is available for LASIK and other vision surgeries. Several financing companies specialize in elective procedures and offer plans with fixed rates and long-term payments. Most LASIK surgery centers and private medical practices work with one of these companies to offer a financing plan to their patients.

Note that some large companies, such as Microsoft Corp., are now offering subsidized health plans that cover at least part of LASIK costs. If you work for a major company, ask about possible benefits that might cover elective corrective eye surgery procedures
Cost of LASIK Eye Surgery (Updated June 2007) - AllAboutVision.com

I had LASIK done on both eyes about 4 years ago and I only paid about $600 for BOTH eyes. It is the best thing I ever did. I have perfect vision now. My mother and brother also had LASIK and they love it too. I went to Texas to have mine done because it was MUCH cheaper there than if I had it done here in Idaho.

I had LASIK done on both eyes about 4 years ago and I only paid about $600 for BOTH eyes. It is the best thing I ever did. I have perfect vision now. My mother and brother also had LASIK and they love it too. I went to Texas to have mine done because it was MUCH cheaper there than if I had it done here in Idaho.
I traveled from Charleston to Atlanta because it was cheaper that way also.

I'm late to reply, but I will tell you to seriously consider it, and then go back and consider it again. No matter how much like getting a makeover most advertisments may make it sound, it is a very real surgery that deals with a sense you rely on for many tasks.

Ask yourself if it's worth all the things you're used to- reading, driving, any visual tasks, for the -chance- you might not need glasses?

Bear in mind that even if you're not one of the lucky people who becomes legally blind as a result of the surgery, it's a (very likely) possibility that your vision wont be as good as it can be corrected to with glasses- if you can get 20/20 with glasses, you might end up with 20/30 or 20/35 after lasik.

It's a personal choice, but I personally advise against it. Wearing glasses or contacts cannot be -so- terrible that a person is willing to risk their vision altogether.

Back