Have ALL your family & friends boycott Netflix

jack55

Reaction score
As you all know by now by several threads here, Netflix SUCKS!
They think they have enough customers so they don't need to cater to the deaf or old folks who need caption for streaming movies.
Netflix also doesn't want to be bothered by email.
This is discrimination and needs to STOP!!!

First have a hearing friend call netflix and tell them they are being boycotted and why.

Second Have ALL your family & friends boycott Netflix!

Third, use either Blockbuster which has DVD-by-mail and great service.
(Netflix forces you to buy streaming first, then add DVD by mail.)

Hulu has caption streaming movies. However nowhere as many as netflix by a long shot, but better than nothing. Their TV series is pretty good too.
I emailed them yesterday about caption and guess what?
They actually answered the email within a few hours and here is what they had to say:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for writing in! We definitely want to bring closed captioning to all the devices supported by Hulu Plus. We're working hard on ensuring that the caption experience on each device is optimal and accurate and that captions play correctly and in sync with the video.

For your Samsung Blu-ray, in order to get the captions, follow these instructions:

1. Play a closed-captioned video
2. Press the down arrow on your remote until you see green brackets highlight the "Browse" option
3. Press the right arrow until the "CC" option is highlighted
4. Press the Enter key (the button in the center of the arrows) to toggle between "Off" and "On"

We will be updating our applications across all platforms and devices regularly to add new functionality, and we will update you as soon as we have more news to share. Thanks for your patience!

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Happy viewing!

Thanks,
Max S.
Hulu Support

Didn't you know that NAD filed a lawsuit against Netflix? I think it's still in process.

Yes and that takes awhile like most lawsuits do.
Mine is a faster solution and anything helps, right?
Sure, I can't stop you and others. The company knows about the issue which is why it has its own captioning system to add captions since they buy movies w/o captions.

I suggest you to read this post.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/98280-hooray-fcc-releases-television-ip-captioning-rules.html

If that includes Netflix, then it will be required to have ALL movies captioned starting in 2014.

Yay, yippee... I'll wait for 2014. NOT!
I want CAPTION now and will use any means to achieve that. ;)
I know 2014 is a long way to go. Just don't join Netflix, otherwise you help its business. I joined it for a free 30-days trial to get an idea and I didn't like it so I cancelled it before the free trial expired. I didn't pay anything. Fuck it is all I can do.

I know 2014 is a long way to go. Just don't join Netflix, otherwise you help its business. I joined it for a free 30-days trial to get an idea and I didn't like it so I cancelled it before the free trial expired. I didn't pay anything. Fuck it is all I can do.

If that is all you do is quit netflix and do nothing else, your not helping matters.
Get a friend to call netflix and tell them why you quit.
If nothing is done, get all your family and friend to also call them and quit.
You can bet netflix is taking notes of all phone calls.
So, if you do NOTHING, then don't complain here...

Hulu has caption streaming movies. However nowhere as many as netflix by a long shot, but better than nothing. Their TV series is pretty good too.
I emailed them yesterday about caption and guess what?
They actually answered the email within a few hours and here is what they had to say:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for writing in! We definitely want to bring closed captioning to all the devices supported by Hulu Plus. We're working hard on ensuring that the caption experience on each device is optimal and accurate and that captions play correctly and in sync with the video.

For your Samsung Blu-ray, in order to get the captions, follow these instructions:

1. Play a closed-captioned video
2. Press the down arrow on your remote until you see green brackets highlight the "Browse" option
3. Press the right arrow until the "CC" option is highlighted
4. Press the Enter key (the button in the center of the arrows) to toggle between "Off" and "On"

We will be updating our applications across all platforms and devices regularly to add new functionality, and we will update you as soon as we have more news to share. Thanks for your patience!

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Happy viewing!

Thanks,
Max S.
Hulu Support

I sent Hulu another email an hour ago and got another fast response!

Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back to us, and I appreciate that you were satisfied enough with our service to post it to that forum! We really do focus on captions here, and I can assure you that it is at the forefront of one of our near-term goals. Now, for this email, I want to address the problems you're having with your Samsung Blu-ray player. I'm sorry our Samsung application is giving you so much trouble, and I'd be happy to help figure out what's going on.

At the end of this email, I'm going to include some troubleshooting steps that I think might help. They're pretty basic, and it's likely you've tried a few of them already, but I want to make sure we're being thorough.

Any additional details you can share about the problem would be appreciated. I'm sure we'll get this worked out. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Max S.
Hulu Support

Troubleshooting steps:
• Perform a power-cycle of your Blu-ray player, modem, and router. Unplug all three from power and wait at least 1 minute before plugging them back in.
• If you're connecting over Wi-Fi, plug your Blu-ray player directly into your modem or router via Ethernet.
• Try lowering the video quality. During playback, press down on your remote and navigate over to the Video Quality section.
• Perform a factory reset, which will erase and reinstall all the software on the player. Press and hold the Stop button on the front of the player itself for about 10 seconds (with no disc inside). A message will appear: "Resets all settings to the default values. This may take a few minutes." The player will power back up when it's done. Keep in mind that these steps may be a little different on your specific Blu-ray player, so if this doesn't work, check out ( Samsung ) for more info.

If that is all you do is quit netflix and do nothing else, your not helping matters.
Get a friend to call netflix and tell them why you quit.
If nothing is done, get all your family and friend to also call them and quit.
You can bet netflix is taking notes of all phone calls.
So, if you do NOTHING, then don't complain here...
They already know that many deaf people complain about it. That's why they have the system to add captions. I guess they are too slow to do the job. You can tell them that you are not satisfied and maybe they will have to hire more captionmakers to do the job faster. The other reason I lost interest in Netflix is that its streaming movies are not available in 1080p (Blu-ray format).

They already know that many deaf people complain about it. That's why they have the system to add captions. I guess they are too slow to do the job. You can tell them that you are not satisfied and maybe they will have to hire more captionmakers to do the job faster. The other reason I lost interest in Netflix is that its streaming movies are not available in 1080p (Blu-ray format).

according to netflix, they claim it's not their fault.. it is the fault of the manufactures, such as my particular model Blu Ray player:

Mr. Moskovita,

The Samsung Blu-Ray player that you have, model HT-D5500, is not one that has the capability to have subtitles and closed captioning with the Netflix service. Not all devices that are Netflix ready have the capability to use the closed caption feature through our service. Below is a list of manufacturers that have Netflix ready Blu-ray players with the subtitle feature on our service at this time (the compatibility also depends on the model number of the device):

· LG

· Magnavox

· Panasonic

· Sharp

· Sony

Hope this information help you out in some way and again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Sincerely,

Netflix, Inc.

We have no problem with netflix for over two years for caption. Thanks to our iPad and Mini Mac.

I think that lawsuit against Netflix instigated them separating out their streaming from the DVD services... We were actually grateful they *did* separate them because we only used the DVD service anyway, so were paying for a service we couldn't use. We ended up paying about $4 less per month by choosing to have only the DVD service. We don't have the equipment nor the fastest computer online feed, to get something streaming to our TV, and we don't want to pay extra or buy hardware to get from the computer to the TV. So, for us, the DVD option is great. I still hope the lawsuit accomplishes equal access to captioning for streaming. Not right about lack of access just because it's being "broadcast" on the Internet! :/ We can't afford to buy every movie/TV show DVD we want to see, nor pay $3 per rental from our library for 3 days (cheapest around), and they don't get everything we want, anyway, so Netflix works for us. I hope they get their act together with the streaming!

according to netflix, they claim it's not their fault.. it is the fault of the manufactures, such as my particular model Blu Ray player:

Mr. Moskovita,

The Samsung Blu-Ray player that you have, model HT-D5500, is not one that has the capability to have subtitles and closed captioning with the Netflix service. Not all devices that are Netflix ready have the capability to use the closed caption feature through our service. Below is a list of manufacturers that have Netflix ready Blu-ray players with the subtitle feature on our service at this time (the compatibility also depends on the model number of the device):

Hope this information help you out in some way and again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Sincerely,

Netflix, Inc.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you about a link regarding this. http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html

Read the last paragraph which talked about some CE (Consumer Electronics) devices with firmware updates. In other words, not ALL players/TVs have that feature (subtitle button) unfortunately. My Sony TV is Netflix ready but no subtitle feature is available. (My solution was to drag Netflix window from my PC to HDTV. I have a HTPC set-up.)

If you really want to watch Netflix with subtitles via Blu-ray player or HDTV, then you would have to buy a right model. I know that sucks.

dude first of all, why are you writing in blue? Its harder to read your rants. just throw in [ quote] [/ quote] (remove the spaces)

And just because netflix doesn't provide what you want doesn't mean you should just go tell everyone to boycott netflix. Instead, find another video service that DOES provide subtitles. In fact, just freaking pirate the content if they dont offer it in subtitles because pirated content ALWAYS has subtitles. Which is somewhat funny that people actually take time to subtitle the content and upload it while big companies dont even have employees to subtitle the content.

And those who say that netflix is blaming whatever producers/manufactors... its true. Actually manufactors have NOTHING to do with subtitling since they all do provide caption chips on their tvs/montiors. Its the producers who make if very difficult. Netflix has to make an agreement with the producer to have the rights to overwrite the video with subtitles otherwise its consider illegal which is pathetic imo. But thats the truth and my school had been in touch with various producers such as Discovery, History Channel, Disney to caption their old films.

I never join up member of Netflix. i almost watched torrent movies in addition of subtitle (SRT). No problem :giggle:

dude first of all, why are you writing in blue? Its harder to read your rants. just throw in [ quote] [/ quote] (remove the spaces)

And just because netflix doesn't provide what you want doesn't mean you should just go tell everyone to boycott netflix. Instead, find another video service that DOES provide subtitles. In fact, just freaking pirate the content if they dont offer it in subtitles because pirated content ALWAYS has subtitles. Which is somewhat funny that people actually take time to subtitle the content and upload it while big companies dont even have employees to subtitle the content.

And those who say that netflix is blaming whatever producers/manufactors... its true. Actually manufactors have NOTHING to do with subtitling since they all do provide caption chips on their tvs/montiors. Its the producers who make if very difficult. Netflix has to make an agreement with the producer to have the rights to overwrite the video with subtitles otherwise its consider illegal which is pathetic imo. But thats the truth and my school had been in touch with various producers such as Discovery, History Channel, Disney to caption their old films.
DUDE!!! Can you read this now???
Most of us can read blue just fine...
Apparently you didn't read my whole post...
My rant wasn't so much about the caption but the fact they have no way to contact them via email on their website and that is DISCRIMINATION!

Dude, thats much better :)

And how is it discrimination to not have a contact email on their site?

DUDE! You must NOT be DEAF and can hear phones just fine! ;)

Discrimination is not having email on contact site for deaf and hard of hearing.
With today's technology, there is NO excuse for not having EMAIL!

I will add that companies with websites, over 95% have email now.
A website with no email??? C'mon!

Back