Hate new cars

Yeah, I got it. However Mazda manual shows 3k miles or 3 months for PR residents. I don't know why.

Anyway, I have 2007 Scion tC and the manual says 5k miles or 6 months. I checked a manual for 2014 same model and it still says 5k or 6 months. A manual for another model, FR-S (even though the engine is made by Subaru, I believe) shows 7,500 miles or 7 1/2 months. :hmm: So obviously not all cars are created equally. :lol:

Oh, I forgot to mention.. Thanks for the good link, BTW.

Toyota Prius's oil life is 5K, same as Lexus vehicles.

Gas quality--when TCS was in Ukraine, drivers had to strain their gas with cheesecloth before putting it into their tanks. :eek3:

What.... Cheesecloth act like filter to prevent dirty gas into the tank? Am I correct?

Yeah, I got it. However Mazda manual shows 3k miles or 3 months for PR residents. I don't know why.

Anyway, I have 2007 Scion tC and the manual says 5k miles or 6 months. I checked a manual for 2014 same model and it still says 5k or 6 months. A manual for another model, FR-S (even though the engine is made by Subaru, I believe) shows 7,500 miles or 7 1/2 months. :hmm: So obviously not all cars are created equally. :lol:

Oh, I forgot to mention.. Thanks for the good link, BTW.

got it from google search -
Do I need to change my motor oil every 3,000 miles?
Most consumers (more than 80% of drivers, drive under what is considered severe driving conditions (stop and go, short trips, towing, or very hot or very cold temperatures). Auto manufacturers' oil change interval recommendations are dramatically shorter for severe driving conditions, with the majority recommending 3,750 miles or less and with 3,000 miles being the most common recommendation. Both oil and oil filters have less of a useful life under severe conditions due to increased dirt and other contaminants. So, changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles is the best way to ensure engine health.

bottom line.... everybody drives it differently and also depends on where it's driven at so if you really want to save money - check your oil yourself and see if it needs to be changed or not. darker color obviously means the oil is dirty and needs to be changed. if you live in a pristine environment and drive lightly... I wouldn't be surprised if your engine oil is still clean after 3,000 miles or even 6,000 miles.

Wirelessly posted (Nexus 5)

deafsmogtech said:
Gas quality--when TCS was in Ukraine, drivers had to strain their gas with cheesecloth before putting it into their tanks. :eek3:

What.... Cheesecloth act like filter to prevent dirty gas into the tank? Am I correct?

Yes

Wirelessly posted (Nexus 5)

Yes

Interesting. Last week ago, the pump islands shut down after refuel from tank truck where the computer for gas pumps, detected insufficient fuel flow from underground tanks, called a service guy to check out the computer, he replaced all fuel filters: 2 large element filters in the underground tanks and 8 spin-in filters in 8 pumps. He reset the computer, all pumps runs good.....lot people think the gas stations are blame for contaminated fuel but not true. Blame on the refinery facilities...

Interesting. Last week ago, the pump islands shut down after refuel from tank truck where the computer for gas pumps, detected insufficient fuel flow from underground tanks, called a service guy to check out the computer, he replaced all fuel filters: 2 large element filters in the underground tanks and 8 spin-in filters in 8 pumps. He reset the computer, all pumps runs good.....lot people think the gas stations are blame for contaminated fuel but not true. Blame on the refinery facilities...
When TCS visited Ukraine, he saw no regular gas stations. They had no electric gas pumps. The only pumps he saw were hand-cranked ones under little lean-to sheds along the highway.

When TCS visited Ukraine, he saw no regular gas stations. They had no electric gas pumps. The only pumps he saw were hand-cranked ones under little lean-to sheds along the highway.

lol yup. in remote African villages... a gas station would look like this -

petrol-fillup-motorcycle-liberia.jpg

DSC_3434.jpg

I had a 2008 Mini Cooper S with 1.6 L turbocharged in a shop last week ago that my mechanic discovered oil leak from under the engine upon customer's complaint, told a customer that oil leak came from oil filter adapter housing that mounted on the engine block. The oil filter adapter housing is cooled by coolant cooler as a whole assembly. The labor time for remove and replace oil filter adapter housing assy is 6.2 hours. My mechanic want 7 hours labor, got ok'd from a customer. Then he realized the job is not easy as he throught ... He was end up with a pain in the azz after cruel work. You have be careful to reading the labor procedure to take an old oil filter adapter housing out of the engine but he mess up with it for some reason ( I took day off, didn't know what he intends to). My another mechanic told me that a Mini Cooper was towed in with overheated engine, says she pick up her car and drove about 10 minutes then overheated. Real upset. My mechanic told me that he (stupid) was rushing to put the parts back as he wants go home early but he didn't take it for road test to make sure everything ok before release a car to a customer. My manager ask me to take a look at it. I told him, No, ask him who fix it? My another mechanic ask me what do you think? I told him maybe he forget to reconnect wire harness to electric cooling fan motors or lack of air bleeding in cooling system. I wait to see what is going on with overheated by Tuesday (technician take Monday off).

Did you know that ALL underground fuel holding tanks at the service stations have water in them on Purpous? They fill it approximately 1/4 full with water to keep the tanks from "floating" once finished they bring in the tankers to fill them with fuel... the water remains, once the fuel levels get to a certain level the pumps shut down. (ever noticed the guy with the measuring sticks checking levels ( when there is a machine telling how much fuel was sold/used.... ) checking water levels not fuel.

I change my oil once or twice a year, depending on how much I drive... usually before winter and before summer (or before selling)
Just keep it topped off, but so far my truck isnt leaking or using any.

Mini Cooper: found broken plastic coolant tube under the intake manifold near the firewall side, he didn't touch it, just oil cooler/filter housing in the front. The plastic coolant tube was deteriorating and acid by the coolant chemicals as same as other BMW vehicles. This car is fixed with a new tube. If you are a Mini Cooper owner, wants to do the oil filter housing replacement yourself, you will have to take the front bumper and upper radiator support bracket off to reach the oil filter housing, take 1 or 2 days. Me? About 4 or 4 1/2 hours to fix.

Did you know that ALL underground fuel holding tanks at the service stations have water in them on Purpous? They fill it approximately 1/4 full with water to keep the tanks from "floating" once finished they bring in the tankers to fill them with fuel... the water remains, once the fuel levels get to a certain level the pumps shut down. (ever noticed the guy with the measuring sticks checking levels ( when there is a machine telling how much fuel was sold/used.... ) checking water levels not fuel.

:dunno: I've been seen the tank service technician pull the cylinder (float in cyl) out of the tank, fill with water then lower the cyl in the tank. I don't know what is he doing with it. My guess is he calibrate the fuel level in the cylinder. After that technician drain water from the cylinder into hazard labeled container. But I know one other is in underground not in the fuel tank, the technician collect sample of soil, send out to the lab.

Mini Cooper: found broken plastic coolant tube under the intake manifold near the firewall side, he didn't touch it, just oil cooler/filter housing in the front. The plastic coolant tube was deteriorating and acid by the coolant chemicals as same as other BMW vehicles. This car is fixed with a new tube. If you are a Mini Cooper owner, wants to do the oil filter housing replacement yourself, you will have to take the front bumper and upper radiator support bracket off to reach the oil filter housing, take 1 or 2 days. Me? About 4 or 4 1/2 hours to fix.

One time, I saw driver got anger that his straight truck got almost used oil anywhere outside on driver's side then I checked coolant reservoir and it's full of used oil. So it was bad oil cooler. I feels bad for mechanic who do that job and deal with used oil ANYWHERE on engine area.

One time, I saw driver got anger that his straight truck got almost used oil anywhere outside on driver's side then I checked coolant reservoir and it's full of used oil. So it was bad oil cooler. I feels bad for mechanic who do that job and deal with used oil ANYWHERE on engine area.

My mechanic told me that he heard a service manager in his office, talks with a customer (Mini Cooper) over the repair and towing billings. She is not happy with these. Guess what? I saw smoke puffs from a Cooper's tailpipe when a mechanic took it for road test, very short trip like 1/2 block around. I refuse to tell him about smoky tailpipe. I think the smoky tailpipe is coming from faulty turbocharger where the oil feed the ball bearings, leak internal impeller area. Well.

I have a brand new 2014 Nissan Maxima. I bought it the end of July. The windshield had excessive hard water spots that we could not get off with Windex. So I took my car back to Nissan and after 2+ hours out comes my car with "clean" windows. Now that the weather is getting cold and my windows fog, we notice the windshield has some kind of wax on it. Husband tried repeatedly to clean them with Windex but no luck still have this "wax" on them.

Does anyone know what else we can try? If nothing works, we are actually thinking about just getting a new windshield...not from Nissan.

I have a brand new 2014 Nissan Maxima. I bought it the end of July. The windshield had excessive hard water spots that we could not get off with Windex. So I took my car back to Nissan and after 2+ hours out comes my car with "clean" windows. Now that the weather is getting cold and my windows fog, we notice the windshield has some kind of wax on it. Husband tried repeatedly to clean them with Windex but no luck still have this "wax" on them.

Does anyone know what else we can try? If nothing works, we are actually thinking about just getting a new windshield...not from Nissan.

Picture Please.

Back