Hate crime and the deaf

i wonder why they didn't enter? And I doubt they would win anyway because of poor grammar. contests tend to look for the best well written essay.

I believe it was a contest at a mainstream school. So there were no other deaf kids.

To be fair...

If you look at RLM's posts, he tend to be quick to draw conclusions, however if you look at the comments, he usually calm down or withdraw certain comments as he engage a conversation with his readers. Nothing new. I have met people, deaf and hearing, who react like him, and I wouldn't classify them as extremists-- just really emotional people; heck, I do the same thing.

This RLM blogger did get into a blogoshphere war with another Deaf person by the name of Jamie Berke.

Source -

1. RLM said,
  2. February 20, 2008 at 1:14 pm
  3. How awful about Jamie Berke getting the CI! Why in the world Jamie is doing to herself?
  4. I was absolutely right about Jamie Berke all the way for what she was really all about!
  5. Jamie Berke is definitely a real turncoat to the deaf community across the globe!
  6. Robert L. Mason (RLM)
    RLMDEAF blog
  7. DP HERE: Don’t do this again. Or it will be deleted.
  8. baf77b0fd92c3861d684434ca9f16073

A Deaf Pundit said,

February 20, 2008 at 1:16 pm
    RLM, if you have a problem with Jamie, email her. Don’t bring it on here. Next time I’ll delete your comment.
  1. source
Now you can get the gist of who this "RLM" character is if he is going to be ripping a little child's character is.

"The lights are on but no one is home" applies to this person.

I read somewhere that the mother of the essay constent winner said that she was upset that the Deaf community is attacking her daughter. Why did she have to say the Deaf community instead of saying "Some members from the Deaf community"?

RML shouldnt say those things and I dont associate myself with his views but I acknowledge myself and him as part of the Deaf community.

I wouldn't attack the girl or her essay, but I would attack those who put ideas in her head if the essay is about how deafness is a limitation or disability that need a cure or something. But I haven't read her essay

Well said Shel.

This is where one person's action can be so damaging to the whole community.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0zyHJ-gQs]YouTube - DEAF HATE CRIME: Physical or Mental Weakness[/ame]

50 years of deaf and not allowed to be

Hey,
I'm 50 years old, and I've been deaf (severe hearing; most no hearing in my left ear) before five years of age. I was forced to attend hearing public schools, except in 2nd grade where I was attended with deaf children. I received a hearing aid, then attended hearing public schools again. I was denied that hearing aid by my mother. I was unable to excel in school. I was never taught ASL. I suffered, and still do today. My speech is excellent. A speech therapist told me my speech has barely any flatness. Many people think I'm immigrant, although I was born and raised in America, but my speech is overpronounce in my effort to speak correctly. This near perfect speech causes people to ignore my pronounced hearing loss, or call me a liar saying I struggle so severely with hearing.
I have always wanted to be around those like myself, but never knew how. I AM deaf. I just was raised with the hearing, whom I struggle to be around. Today, I'm agoraphobic as my way to protect myself from being hurt from the hearing. Even my family most of the time refuse to help me to hear them. They expect me to respond when I don't hear them, or accuse of not doing something when I never heard them tell me.

Carl S isn't doing so well if you have watched some of his recent videos. It appears he has been undergoing some kind of treatment. He is atrociously thin. I wish him a return to good health.

OMG..I looked through this thread. Wow.

Yep, RIP Carl.

Back