Hate crime and the deaf

I wish I knew :aw: Maybe if more parents know that CIs destroy residual hearing and that CIs have to be replaced every few years, parents will understand that CIs don't "fix" anything. Also if more parents understood the benefits of a bilingual-bicultural method I'm sure that many parents would choose what's best for their child.

A lot of hearing parents normally have the fear that their child(ren) will never be "normal". That's why they do drastic things, thinking they are doing what's best for the child. When parents realize that Deaf does not mean "unable" or "disabled" I believe they will feel much better about their child(ren)'s future. There are so many issues that are involved with raising a Deaf child. Parents want to know things like "What type of education is best for my child?" "Will my child be successful when (s)he grows up?" "Can my child(ren) thrive and grow strong?"

Unfortunately in addressing these issues they turn to the medical field first. The medical field is there to try to cure "ailments" and "diseases". Since many of the doctors involved are not specialized they say the same things as their colleagues. They may not fully understand the power of Deaf culture, nor the psychological effects of the child. Therefore they do not list all available options.

Then again, some people just don't care. I learned about some guys who grew up with NO language because their parents hid them in shame. They had no ASL and no oral instruction. Actually, they didn't have any education at all. One of the two guys had never had a birth certificate, a social security card, or any proof of his existence.

There doesn't seem to be a quick answer. I think the best place to start is in the field of education. Many residential schools still have a primarily oral program that focuses on oral ability to teach Deaf reading skills (like the one close to me). Once students start graduating with equivalent reading skills as the hearing children people will understand that oralism has nothing to do with reading comprehension. Then hearing will start to understand that Deaf are not "dumb".

That sounds like the story my aunt told me. She used to live certain section of the city (where everyone don't want to live because of high crimes) and she was telling me about a deaf adult who had no exposure to language whatsoever. The parents just didn't care and my aunt tried to teach him some ASL but it was hard.

This is cool :D What is the name of the children's festival in May 2011? Would it be in Ontario?

The more I watch Carl Schroeder's videos, the more I like him :D His contributions are inspiring.

Edit: Oops, nevermind. I found it in the video description when I followed the link to Youtube. It's called the Deaf Children Festival. It'll be in Toronto. It might be worth it for me to drive there.

Awesome, i am sure some AD members here will go there. i wish i could go there but too far from my home. I have to wait patiently when the right time comes, then i ll check out carl's lectures in the near future. It has been growing on me about carl's too. I am very curious about what's going on with all usa and canada by carl's updated news.

I explained in an earlier post about the amount of education the parents in my area get, including being paired with a Deaf mentor to teach them ASL and Deaf culture. Still, a full 70% choose an auditory-oral path (but on the bright side 30% choose ASL-English, and I'm sure that is higher than in the past). So, we need to figure out why. Why do parents choose this path? And we need to figure out how to show them how ASL can compliment their lives. We can't bash them or their choices, or try to "scare them into it". That won't work. We can't tell them that CI's don't work, or spread myths like "they need to be replaced every few years"' They can see that they work, everyday, in their homes. They are too smart to fall for that! We need to show them that the Deaf community is loving and welcoming. That ASL is beautiful and useful, even if they don't believe it is necessary. Instead of telling them they are commiting "genocide" and "hate crimes" against you, tell them how lucky the Deaf community is to have their beautiful baby in it.

I explained in an earlier post about the amount of education the parents in my area get, including being paired with a Deaf mentor to teach them ASL and Deaf culture. Still, a full 70% choose an auditory-oral path (but on the bright side 30% choose ASL-English, and I'm sure that is higher than in the past). So, we need to figure out why. Why do parents choose this path? And we need to figure out how to show them how ASL can compliment their lives. We can't bash them or their choices, or try to "scare them into it". That won't work. We can't tell them that CI's don't work, or spread myths like "they need to be replaced every few years"' They can see that they work, everyday, in their homes. They are too smart to fall for that! We need to show them that the Deaf community is loving and welcoming. That ASL is beautiful and useful, even if they don't believe it is necessary. Instead of telling them they are commiting "genocide" and "hate crimes" against you, tell them how lucky the Deaf community is to have their beautiful baby in it.

Good point you got, FJ. It is just hard when many of us grew up so bitter and angry by being oppressed for so long and parents getting their children implanted saying that they dont need ASL and can hear can feel like another form of oppression on the Deaf community. No, not everyone in the Deaf community feels that way but many of us do and we just need to be told that by being hateful doesnt help..just be warm and welcoming. :ty:

I actually do apologize. I had him mixed up with someone else. I confused his blog with RML. I was completly in the wrong.

Now I know who RLM is and I have met him once. Could you please point out where he said that kids with CI should be separated? I want to read that part. Thank you.

I looked at his blogs and I could see that he is very much against implanting kids and babies (just like me).

Now I know who RLM is and I have met him once. Could you please point out where he said that kids with CI should be separated? I want to read that part. Thank you.

I looked at his blogs and I could see that he is very much against implanting kids and babies (just like me).

Can you post or pm me with his blog that i dont know who RLM was. Im curious. THANKS!

Can you elaborate? Have they developed CIs that last for a lifetime now?

CI's are made to last a lifetime, yes. Just like any medical, implantable device. Right now, the oldest Nucleus models are 20+ years old and the survival rate is around 90%.

And they will keep doing it and we can't do anything about Unless we make it a requirement that ASL must be part of their education/lessons/etc. by law. I would think 70% deaf were taking ASL until the 1880 Milan came along.

I'm on my phone so I can't post links but I believe that I have read that he doesn't think that CI users should be welcome in the Deaf community. He also, just recently, had a terrible post shredding a little deaf girl with ci's because she "dared" to win an essay contest.

I'm on my phone so I can't post links but I believe that I have read that he doesn't think that CI users should be welcome in the Deaf community. He also, just recently, had a terrible post shredding a little deaf girl with ci's because she "dared" to win an essay contest.
Is this the blogger?

RLMDEAF: GUESS WHAT?

I read it..saw his blog about the writing contest. No where did he rip the girl with the CI into shreds as FJ claimed. He ripped the organizations into shreds.

FJ, can you pls clarify what you mean that he ripped the girl into shreds?

I was reading about the I love you sign. I think he took it alittle too extreme on that part. My son sign I love you everyday before school even though we don't know what we are doing with our signing but we did want our feelings known to each other.

I read it..saw his blog about the writing contest. No where did he rip the girl with the CI into shreds as FJ claimed. He ripped the organizations into shreds.

This might not even be the right person. I just picked the most relevant and recent article from that blogger... the link might not be right at all.
I was reading about the I love you sign. I think he took it alittle too extreme on that part. My son sign I love you everyday before school even though we don't know what we are doing with our signing but we did want our feelings known to each other.
Yeah, I just read that one. True, Betty White's ILY sign was off. But I still adore her :)

It was a she....

She really pushed for me to get a CI. Gave me a 15 minute speech on how I need a CI so I can work and it's silly to take SSI and SSDI when I could work with a CI. And not to listen to other deafs because they are lazy and don't want to lose their SSDI. And if I don't have Insurance the State will pay for my CI......She finally stopped and I got to explain that I am not working by choice, I don't get SSDI and I couldn't qualify for it if I did want it. I just went in to learn about phone and how they work. Maybe get a list of ASL tutors.

There was a coment card at the end of the meeting. I brought it home to fill out. I won't be kind.

Can I send that lady an email telling her that she is a downright audist?

He said that she didn't have the right to write her essay and that it was an AG Bell conspiracy, which it was not. He even wrote in his comments that he "doesn't give a fuck about the little girl". He just doesn't want a CI user to get an award.

probably said that because it take away the rights of deaf who doesn't have CI from winning. I think we will be seeing more attitude of those who decided not to use Cochlear implant and treat them as they don't deserve any awards because they decided against Cochlear implant. That they judge by who seem have more "hearing"-like writing or subjects . My example of attitude against cultural deaf have been mentioned by TXgolfer in this thread.

about the not caring about the little girl, I agree, It is a mean thing to say.

probably said that because it take away the rights of deaf who doesn't have CI from winning. I think we will be seeing more attitude of those who decided not to use Cochlear implant and treat them as they don't deserve any awards because they decided on the Cochlear implant route (base on who seem have more "hearing"-like writing or subject) . but about the not caring about the little girl is a mean thing to say.

Not a single other deaf person entered the contest! It was an essay contest at the little girl's school! She wrote an essay about her "Winning Moment" for the superbowl, and she wrote about her CI, and he was pissed and nasty about it. How do you not be happy for a little girl? A little deaf girl got the chance to met famous football players, we should be happy for her.

i wonder why they didn't enter? Is it because doubt they would win anyway because of poor grammar. contests tend to look for the best well written essay.

Back