Hard Of Hearing But Do Not Use Asl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, we can have our own language. Work before play. I suppose I had different motivations than you. My motivation was to do better that the hearries in class because I was sick and tired of being bullied, and feeling less than human to them. Yeah, that was my motivation. By the way, I am 55 and a proud deaf man.
PS: I relate more with deaffies than hearries.

my motivation was be able to communicate freely and fully in a language i could use in both directions. once i became |Deaf english was a one direction thing..

my motive was to be fluent. im fluent in more then one language.

bilingualism gives you more opportunities.
tri lingual ism even more.

im not the kind of guy to shut doors for myself...even as a kid..
the more language fluency one attains the better able that individual is period

we even had another kid in deaf school same time as me who went Deaf..he refused to learn sign. and sat their i guess thinking we all had esp...
and alone he sat..
until he left..

why that makes sense to anyone i've never understood.
if im goign to live in japan, i better pick up the lingo...

but im crazy ..
meh

Last edited:
tell me
how does it make sense to force those who cannot perceive a language via sound to learn it? when other more practical languages they can sense and use naturally exist for them?

how do you wish this adoption, you have always abide by take place?
which methods?
at the expense of what exactly?
for whos measure?
its certainly not the childs, so then is benefiting from such nonsense?

yes i know believing in one line sound bites is cool.
now lets get to the bones of shall we

because allot here is at stake ie Deaf future.
my peoples future.

so if your going to come in cool.
just know for some this isnt a game for dilettantes or the faint hearted
how long have you been signing cappy?

You said you were hearing until the age of 9, so you must still be able to communicate in the hearing world and I would be willing to bet you are able to read lips to a certain degree since basically everyone can do so and that includes those that can hear.

So what you're saying is that the other 99% of the worlds population should learn ASL to fit your needs?

In the U.S. employers have to provide reasonable accommodation. So whatever is reasonable to allow the deaf to communicate with the hearing employees.

"because allot here is at stake ie Deaf future.
my peoples future. " And here lies the problem. You want us to adapt to your world and not to the hearing one who makes up the lyons share of the working world. I haven't had much involvement with the deaf community but of the little I have had, I have found a very secretive society that has their own signs that is basically kept within the community and an unwillingness to enter or have much to do with the hearing world.

I understand that life dealt you a bad hand, but like someone who is handicapped by bad luck and overcomes it, you can to, you just have to be willing to work at it and bring to the table the skills needed.

He sat alone to expand his knowledge. Maybe? I sat alone alot. I wood invite you to my backyard firepit for eats, drinks, and maybe even a fat one. You would begin to see, I am not half bad, you wood even see that I am stone deaf and have a different outlook on life that you or others and still have a good time. Fact is we are all different. Yet, so much the same. Its all about perspective.

Looked at both, but the last time I looked Gallaudet is a deaf school and since Cordano is the president of the university, she may be a little biased, and has provided no studies to back up her statements other than stating them as fact. Also there graduates also have a very high employment rate in the deaf community.

what factual errors are in her statements?
and no one has denied gally is a Deaf university, that is a difference between a gov residential school for the Deaf.

Paddy Ladd might also be a tad bit biased since he is deaf and a deaf scholar and is deaf activist and deaf researcher, so his opinion and opinions might not be the most even handed.

he is Deaf, but facts are facts..before you dismiss him read him. besides your calling the kettle black here re bias.

What I linked was an unbiased study/survey regarding why the deaf community has a higher unemployment rate that the hearing world.

you posted one study, int he book i recommended there are more studies for you.
happy reading.

As I have said in the past, I know people who are deaf and hold well paying jobs and the biggest reason for it is probably their education as well as being able to adapt and basically blend into the hearing world.
so yoru stating here a probably...
ok
cool
thats in your expert opinion of probably of course...(snickers)

Also as I have said before: education will set you free. I also know people who are owners or in upper management of companies and what they are looking for is the best candidate for the job: if you're deaf and can do the job they could care less.

education will set you free.
now go educate yoruself, learn sign...
you be more free then youd ever dreams. ill help you

Look at your own communication skills. You don't capitalize or punctuate anything and you spelling is not too good. Employers don't want to have to teach you how to communicate for hold your hand, they want you to bring to the table what you need to do the job. If you've had problems getting or holding on to a job as well as "every Deaf i went to school with," then you probably have to look no further that the school you attended.

this forum is an informal place. thus i chil here as i do.
i have a career, not a job,..spell check or puncution isnt much on the dojo floor with us...but thanks for your concern.

The problem here is you live in a largely hearing world and it's you as part of the less than 1% who are deaf must adapt to the hearing world if you want to succeed. I've never said you should not have a language, what I've said is you have to adapt to the hearing world and bring the skills to the table needed to succeed in it. The blind don't have the communication problems that the deaf do and they are taught to use braille as well as the written word in proper English. so they bring to the table skills that depending on the deaf school and their curriculum some deaf people are lacking.

who are you to tell us what to do or that we have to adapt? your not one of us, your not a part of our community, you dotn even know or use our language. why the hell should we even bother to take you seriously if all you do is tell us what we should or shouldn't do

chekc this out
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674270411

eharies can leanr sign allot easier then forcing thos who cannot perceive yoru language to learn it.
it makes better sense for those who want to learn sign to leanr it and not force down our throats failed oralist pipe dreams.
this world belongs to the Deaf as much as the hearies.
our reality in life is as much real as what hearies experience.
our world is a real one.

its not about what you state in re not havign a language its what the policies of orlaism and thos ein the ci profession state to parents of Deaf babies..and you know that
because as you so eloquently put it. "weve been down this road"

-Absolutely! Unfortunately there are only so many of those jobs around.

bullshit. we can do any job a hearie can.
but my statement had to do with our strength re language..ie we are visual..

-Some yes, some no. Just as it is in the hearing world.

thats not how the hearie world works..

I've never done that, you have done it to yourself. Welcome to the real world, it is run by "hearies" and you have to acquire the skills needed to succeed in the hearing world.

i know more about the real world then you can ever imagine lady...
and again
our world, ie Deaf is as real as yours..

Last edited:
Dear Seb-

I had a "well rounded" education, grew up oral, until going to Gallaudet and learning ASL. Got a BA degree. Held a few fairly well paying jobs over the years (well the social service one wasn't exactly 'well paying')... yet.. every time I am out of work I have a harder time than most people in FINDING anything and trying to get .. oh HIRED. It's not for lack of qualifications.

Yes there are deaf folks out there with well paying jobs- some of them are here on AD but you are conveniently leaving out that it does go the opposite way.

I grew up in the hearing world... no one in my family is Hoh or Deaf... I was the only Deaf/ Hoh student in my grade. It was a lonely feeling, and you'd be surprised how impatient people could be. A teacher actually told me I wasn't going to make it passed the ninth grade... I ended up taking advanced placement classes and accepted into a private college. But, it's a struggle everyday... I would love to sign because I understand the importance of it. I really do.

Casey, I can relate to you a lot. Although born Severely-deaf to an all Hearing family, I only came to realise that Sign Language and the Deaf Community was something I had a right to, at the tender age of 45! Its been a slow road to learn Sign Language, as my life has become more and more isolated not only to the Hearing World but also to the Deaf Community too, because I can't get out much to interact with people these days due to a chronic illness. I am very grateful now for technology, the internet and social media, and the community here on AllDeaf. It has been a life-saver for me. I strongly advocate and support the right for access to Sign Language. I am still building up my fluency as I am able. Every dhh person regardless of background or age should be given access to Sign Language freely. There should be quality professional free Sign Language courses made available online - something that is not available in my country. I have however been able to learn enough on my own through a online sign language dictionary and sign language videos to hold a decent conversation in Auslan and to communicate my point over the span of 7 years. I am lobbying for more exposure, recognition, and access to Auslan here in Australia.

He sat alone to expand his knowledge. Maybe? I sat alone allot. I wood invite you to my backyard firepit for eats, drinks, and maybe even a fat one. You would begin to see, I am not half bad, you wood even see that I am stone deaf and have a different outlook on life that you or others and still have a good time. Fact is we are all different. Yet, so much the same. Its all about perspective.

no he sat alone because he refused to learn sign. he even told me himself. in english..as he thoguht it was stupid...i even tried to reason with him...
while in rome and all that..to no avail..

and thus no one bothered with him..

you would get the same reaction with any language minority.
if you refuse to use any ones language, expect not a very fulfilling conversation..

try it with people see how far you get
humans on this point almost always act the same..

go to someones house and tell them you wont learn their or use it language, and expect them to want to be with you...

ive seen that done to people in mexico, in japan, in canada even..

it seems to be a human trait
not Deaf unique

hell try that with english in quebec and see how friendly the frenchies are...and i mean quebec not montreal....
don't take my signs for it..

So what? Get over it man.

Imo, the Hearing world adapts to foreign spoken languages by learning them and/or using an interpreter. Why not Sign language? With it being visual and not dependent on sound, you would think that it would be easy to learn and accept, after all, a good number of hearing people use their hands to gesture emphasis while speaking. When travelling and having to get around not knowing the local language, they almost always revert to some form of visual communication. So why is it so hard to accept Sign Language proper? Hearing people are hard-wired to sound. Deaf people are hard-wired to visual without sound. Yet, we Deaf are expected to conform against the very core of our being.

Dear Seb-

I had a "well rounded" education, grew up oral, until going to Gallaudet and learning ASL. Got a BA degree. Held a few fairly well paying jobs over the years (well the social service one wasn't exactly 'well paying')... yet.. every time I am out of work I have a harder time than most people in FINDING anything and trying to get .. oh HIRED. It's not for lack of qualifications.

Yes there are deaf folks out there with well paying jobs- some of them are here on AD but you are conveniently leaving out that it does go the opposite way.

I am not saying it's going to be harder to land the job if you are deaf, but you have to have the skills and tools needed to even be considered.

Imo, the Hearing world adapts to foreign spoken languages by learning them and/or using an interpreter.

Well actually to be fair, not every company will do that. For example, a restaurant that serves english speaking customers is not going to hire spanish speaking people. It just is unreasonable for the company to have to hire BOTH an interpreter and the employee just for that.

I am not saying it's going to be harder to land the job if you are deaf, but you have to have the skills and tools needed to even be considered.

Yes I know that.. I've spent enough time working and looking for work as well as talking with others to know that. So.. I have the skills and have even gotten as far as interviews with good reviews... yet.. they hire the other person. Ain't coincidence.

You'll (as always) see it your way and I'll see it mine. You aren't exactly going to change (some) people's minds and they won't change yours so it's an exercise in futility for both parties to keep 'discussing' it.

You said you were hearing until the age of 9, so you must still be able to communicate in the hearing world and I would be willing to bet you are able to read lips to a certain degree since basically everyone can do so and that includes those that can hear.

i never stated i couldn't communicate int he hearie world i state dits one sided. i move my beak like a parrot, and they move theirs but im deaf...
yeah yeah i know txt and writing.. so on. but thats just one side.

So what you're saying is that the other 99% of the worlds population should learn ASL to fit your needs?
no

In the U.S. employers have to provide reasonable accommodation. So whatever is reasonable to allow the deaf to communicate with the hearing employees.

yes

"because allot here is at stake ie Deaf future.
my peoples future. " And here lies the problem.

this is NOT the plm.

You want us to adapt to your world and not to the hearing one who makes up the lyons share of the working world.

no

I haven't had much involvement with the deaf community

no kiddin

but of the little I have had, I have found a very secretive society that has their own signs that is basically kept within the community and an unwillingness to enter or have much to do with the hearing world.

this is utter nonsense. ASL is available for anyone to learn. anyone.
actually Deaf have a hard time keeping secrets..we share everything with each other...you have no clue what you on about...

I understand that life dealt you a bad hand, but like someone who is handicapped by bad luck and overcomes it, you can to, you just have to be willing to work at it and bring to the table the skills needed.

never thought or ever claimed such.
thank you for your concern though

Last edited:

and who has argued otherwise?

-
Once again, sources and backing them up. I will have to get the book.

read the book, the sources are there, the book was his phd theses, everything contained in it has been peer reviewed.

-
I'm not stating a probability(I think that's what you meant to say) I am basing my statement on those I know who are deaf and have jobs. I know the education they have and what they have told me is the reason for their success. They didn't wait for someone to learn to communicate with them, they learned to adapt to the hearing world.

right education is a key. who ever stated to wait for someone to communicate to anyone? cant yous see i've been arguing the opposite.

-
If I had a need to, I would, but those that I know who are deaf (only a few) and they were not born deaf, so they sign as well as read lips and can communicate by speaking English.

so why not learn sign with them, then you could gain access to our super secret club you lament is not open..(rolls eyes)

-
Yes, but if you want to be taken seriously......

if i wanted to be taken seriously by a group of peopel in any given culture using a different languag then mine, i would at the very least, learn about that culture and learn their language.

-
-I'm just trying to point out to you how the world goes around.

thank you.

-
I have no idea what you are asking on this one! Perhaps you are getting tired.

ah well..

-
As I said absolutely, as long as you have that which is needed to do the job. If you can't read or write as is found in the English speaking world, your chances of landing an office job is basically zero!

no kiddin
who ever argued otherwise

I am reasonably fluent in sign, but never use it outside the home (My partner is a sign user), nor have I ever used an interpreter, I've been deaf 47 years and not wanted one, I either lip-read, speak, or get it written down. Only recently as my lip-reading is deteriorating with age, have I used any support, (that was a one off because of a legal issue), but it still isn't sign language, but palantype. To be honest, I never found that sign language was valid enough for me, as I like detail and found sign didn't provide the level I wanted and was used to. But basically, I never want to be reliant on any other person, to see a Dr, go to a hospital etc..I think many who have lost hearing have this at the back of their decision whether to sign or not. Using an interpreter would signal dependency and suggest you no longer have the ability yourself to communicate. It is with some envy I see other deaf people with interpreters who don't see this at all, and believe it is something else, simple empowerment and a right.. This tends to show how the differences are between those who have always used interpreters and those who lose viable hearing and just won't. I do have a good speaking voice and never lost it when I went deaf, and speaking is still the main 'in' to communication for me, will I ever use sign full time/part time or a terp ? I don't think so.... One fact that bugs me is you really have to accept the 'Deaf' lifestyle (Culture/Community) approaches and integrate with them to get any real social advantage, and my 'roots' aren't there. I suppose Popeye put it best, I yam what I yam.

I am reasonably fluent in sign, but never use it outside the home (My partner is a sign user), nor have I ever used an interpreter, I've been deaf 47 years and not wanted one, I either lip-read, speak, or get it written down. Only recently as my lip-reading is deteriorating with age, have I used any support, (that was a one off because of a legal issue), but it still isn't sign language, but palantype. To be honest, I never found that sign language was valid enough for me, as I like detail and found sign didn't provide the level I wanted and was used to.

sign like english or any language for that matter, can provide the amount of detail the user wishes. that detail is dependent on the users level of fluency ie the vocab among other things of the user, and that users will to attain it. re the language itself,.

ASL can actually state more things then english can, in different ways in different detail. more detail. ASL does convey more ideas and information then english ever can..after all you only have one mouth, you have two hands ten fingers and a very malleable face for asl, plus the actual world in three dimensional space we use in our language every day..alas a picture is worth a thousand words..anyone who ever thinks ASL doesn't have the capabilities to convey ideas on par with english or to use your words isnt "valid" enough for them doesn't know ASL fluently. your level of fluency is hardly reasonably well, if that's your idea. if you were fluent or reasonably fluent you would know exactly how ASL does provide the signer with the tools to convey details in very great detail if one chooses too.

in other words you finding ASL not "valid" enough only demonstrated your level of its acquisition.

when i state ASL is a powerful language capable of out performing english in a number of ways, again i should be clear that when it comes to languages any language, its the user of it and their skill which is the more important then the actual language being used. english like all auricular languages grants its users the capability to talk out both sides of yours mouths at the same time which is a neat trick, indeed politicians are notorious for that. ASL gives its user allot more..then english does. in our capability to convey ideas. when it comes down to it english is not up to standards.

oralist even know it...hence they're very real fear. they wont nor can they due to ideological constructs admit it. but they know it.

to use an example to try to illustrate a point. re fluency

someone who is fluent in english at a grade 4 level of reading comprehension is still using the same language as someone at a graduate level of english in a university. the language is the same. what is different is the users ability to tap the language for its resources to convey ideas. in more complex or subtle ways. depending on what is needed to be stated and understood. this capability is founded on a body of knowledge (for lack of a better term)each language contains ie its vocab these have to be constantly learned and used to access what they provide.

the user who doesn't attain a high vocab still is using a highly power language english, just not to that languages fullness. same goes re you and sign. i question how reasonably fluent you are in sign if you've never used it outside the home, nor have ever used an interpreter. where have you learned sign from? a language needs to be used with its users to gain true fluency...that is any language. period. and users is plural. i also want to stress native users. your not going to be fluent or reasonably fluent if your not signing with native signers. i'm not questioning that you use sign, i take your words for it, i'm stating your use of it only in your home with one human being is not really a measure of fluency..

your issue with sign isnt a deficiency re sign or ASL to be more specific. its your lack of acquiring its strengths and vocab to be able to tap ASLs strengths. ASL is more then "get me my tea" or "butter the toast" or change the tv' or "get me a shot"or answer there door" or any signs you can use in the home re the home. ...in all sorts of combinations granted

you admit you've never use sign outside the home, so i take it you found sign not "valid" for you in the home. that level of signing vocab is fairly low on the fluency scale to attain..

But basically, I never want to be reliant on any other person, to see a Dr, go to a hospital etc..I think many who have lost hearing have this at the back of their decision whether to sign or not. Using an interpreter would signal dependency and suggest you no longer have the ability yourself to communicate.

using an interpreter in any language doesn't signal dependency or suggests you no longer have the ability to communicate. using a terp signals the opposite. it signals that individual wishes to communicate in their own language. one they can use fully, to be understood and to understand..one hasnt lost anything..let alone the ability to communicate. i sign am, fluent and rarely use terps..because i rarely have too. when i do need them. ie when im dealing with the bugerment. i use them, the very act of using a terp states rather loud (pun intended) and clear we want to communicate and can communicate.

It is with some envy I see other deaf people with interpreters who don't see this at all, and believe it is something else, simple empowerment and a right.. This tends to show how the differences are between those who have always used interpreters and those who lose viable hearing and just won't. .

if someone sees they are in a better position and doing themselves a better favor by refusing to use a terp so be it. it doesn't make any statement at all re sign or ASL its just an individuals personal what ever...using a terp is certainly our right, that also doesn't state anything as to what ever differences you see between those who use terps and those who dont. how is it envy? if you see the Deaf using terps as doing themselves a disservice, or to use your words again to be more clear.

But basically, I never want to be reliant on any other person, to see a Dr, go to a hospital etc..I think many who have lost hearing have this at the back of their decision whether to sign or not. Using an interpreter would signal dependency and suggest you no longer have the ability yourself to communicate.

why envy us?

I do have a good speaking voice and never lost it when I went deaf, and speaking is still the main 'in' to communication for me, will I ever use sign full time/part time or a terp ? I don't think so.... One fact that bugs me is you really have to accept the 'Deaf' lifestyle (Culture/Community) approaches and integrate with them to get any real social advantage, and my 'roots' aren't there. I suppose Popeye put it best, I yam what I yam.

well that fact that bugs you about us, is a fact of life for any language and culture group. any.

if you don't want to accept our community and culture then why even be bugged by our wild and crazy idea that in order to be accepted by us one has to

shhhhh gosh shirk the thought...heavens forbid..

use our language...

if you are what you are..
why bother yourself with what others like us Deaf even do?

People have a choice with how they communicate with... ASL, PSE, SEE... everyone is different with their preference. As long as I understand their sign, I don't see what's the problem if people are patient if they're signing to non-ASL user. If I do not understand, I can politely ask to clarify what the sign is... I'm more of PSE person... Not everyone uses ASL 100%, there is still people who signs PSE or SEE or even use both oral and sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back