Grendel

A head up, the winter in stockholm can be COLD!

While sweden definately is "top" in a global perspective, they have their issues. One thing I don't like, is that their deaf ed is controlled by the special education department, or something like that. That said, the issues in sweden are pretty trivial compared to what the danes struggle with. Sometimes, it looks like the swedes don't know how good their country are for deaf people!

A secret for ya, if swedes have to move, they sometimes moves to.. finland ;) I'm not finish, but finland have some impressive students enrolling out of their deaf ed, and they are actually running the WFD.

Agreed. I would like to see their deaf ed controlled by a dept other than special ed. I'd like to see that in the states, as well. But they are definately doing a better job of things than the states.

I am not very informed regarding Finnish deaf ed. Perhaps I should start some serious research there. Thanks for the recommendation.:wave:

Stockholm isnt much colder than here. It's been running between -7c and -1c for highs all week this week here. ;)

BRRRR!!! TOO COLD!! I would die in that weather. Lol.

LOL you get used to it. :) It has been in the 0-10 degrees the past few days, and will for the next week (according to our local weatherman), and nighttime temperatures have been below zero. Just buckle up and brave it. :D

LOL you get used to it. :) It has been in the 0-10 degrees the past few days, and will for the next week (according to our local weatherman), and nighttime temperatures have been below zero. Just buckle up and brave it. :D

Haha, I've been living in the Northeastern USA for the past 6-7 years and I still never got used to the cold compared to Texas, California, and Florida. I even dislike snow. It's wet, dirty, and miserable. Only pretty and nice for a day, then it's not anymore for the rest of the season. lol

Haha, I've been living in the Northeastern USA for the past 6-7 years and I still never got used to the cold compared to Texas, California, and Florida. I even dislike snow. It's wet, dirty, and miserable. Only pretty and nice for a day, then it's not anymore for the rest of the season. lol

Very true, at least until it snows again to cover up the dirt! :)

I would actually love to do about a year's post doc in Sweden. I have a feeling I could learn so much from their system.

Certainly can't blame them for moving.

I already said when I do go back to finish my Ph.D I WILL, WILL, WILL go to Sweden to personally see their deaf education (bi-bi) practices with my own eyes.

For those of you who sometimes wonder why we deafies get really defensive with some topics...it's because we know if we don't stay on our toes, what happened to Denmark very well can happen to us.

No thanks!

Jilllio: Perhaps you haven't heard- Cochlear Implants HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND FOR CENTURIES- nor have Hearing aids either. Why let a minor matter-reality clutter one's thinking!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Jilllio: Perhaps you haven't heard- Cochlear Implants HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND FOR CENTURIES- nor have Hearing aids either. Why let a minor matter-reality clutter one's thinking!

The deaf has been around for centuries. ;)

That is super sad. A whole country where Sign is extinct? Heck, even hoh kids can benifit from Sign as a second language! And the thing is...yes there are kids who are doing awesome without it, but there are prolly many kids who are struggling and are put in "life skills" classes or other specialized sped classes.
would like to see their deaf ed controlled by a dept other than special ed. I'd like to see that in the states, as well.
I think a good idea might be to have deaf and blind ed grouped togehter under sensory disabilties, rather then with "remedial education"

You still don't get it. :roll: I have never seen anyone that thinks they know so much but continually demonstrates how little they know. Seriously dude, stop trying to teach and start learning.:cool2:

The deaf has been around for centuries. ;)

Exactly. Just because a certain poster has no knowledge of deaf history and can see no further than his own CI doesn't mean that the history is not being played out. Just using a specific devise to justify it this time around.

I wouldn't want to be a CI implantee in post-apocalyptic world. Or go hiking for a few weeks and get lost.

Batteries are hard to come by you know.

I wouldn't want to be a CI implantee in post-apocalyptic world. Or go hiking for a few weeks and get lost.

What? You don't have a solar powered battery charger? :lol:

Once when I was in Africa, a Cheetah recognized that I was deaf. He tapped me on the shoulder to let me know he was gonna attack me, then went back to his hiding spot. I thanked him, then shot him.

Once when I was in Africa, a Cheetah recognized that I was deaf. He tapped me on the shoulder to let me know he was gonna attack me, then went back to his hiding spot. I thanked him, then shot him.

I'm going to keep this a secret from the PETA. :giggle:

Back