Grandparent too involved

Yes, it may be "common" but it's obvious from these posts that such a situation is not a smooth running one. Lots of conflict and role confusion involved.

Depends on the family dynamic, but yes, I agree with you. It's never smooth and there is often conflict.

I posted to Bott without reading up first. :Oops: At any rate, I would certainly hope that Listerine strips weren't being used to discipline children!

Wow! :eek3:

For biting and drawing blood- yes.

Ever bite has to be reported and it -requires- a hospital/clinic exam...

She kept them in her pocket and put it in their mouth -while- they were biting, it caused them to release to remove the strip.

The only other way to really get a kid that bites then locks down (because they are scared) to to clap off their nose and cover part of their mouth, to breathg they will also release- but htis is more dangerous then the strips.

We aren't talking about a nip or bite-and-release we are talking biting down like a bulldog because something triggered and the muscles locked.

Last edited:
For biting and drawing blood- yes.

Ever bite has to be reported and it -requires- a hospital/clinic exam...
Yes, because of blood-borne diseases, protocols have to be followed when the bite happens at a school or day care center.

Yes, because of blood-borne diseases, protocols have to be followed when the bite happens at a school or day care center.

Of course but I think I've derailed things.

OT- Best of luck, like everyone else said, move out or let go.

I agree with several peoples points.

1 - This is not a good situation.
2 - If you are the child's father, you need to be acknowledged as such. Sit down with the child's mother and her parents and establish those roles right now. I am dad and this is mom and what we say goes. They may tell you to get out.
3 - If you are in the U.S. it is not necessary to get married. If you want the child and mother to be your dependents, you need to be married. Insurance will give you such hell it won't even be funny.
4 - If you want strict control over the situation, then ask the child's mother to move out with you and find a way to do it, money or no. If you do not you will continue to receive a frontal assault from grandma and grandpa. Every time you turn up it will be a new battle you will have to face. If you give in, just once, you will be shoved out of your dominant position as father figure. Mom is probably being challenged every moment she is living there.

Spanking is up to you and mom. I found it easier to hold up my son to my face and give him "the look" straight in the eye until he looked away.

Funny you should say that about the hearing.

He is responding much better to sign language then spoken. His baby sitter uses baby signing time and my ex was a Sign Language Interpreter I am a card carrying supporting member of both RID and FRID (Florida Registered Interpreters for the Deaf) and I am HoH myself. When I sign to him his face lights up and he responses much better. He has recently been saying more juice via ASL and loves the fact that someone understands him. However at all most 2 years old his verbal skills are very MLS he might know 12 - 16 spoken words.

I know that you posted this a long time ago, but you make sure you child doesn't have developmental delays. It is essential that you catch them if they are there earlier. If you catch them now, they could be erased and no one would even know they were there at all. If you don't catch them now, they could show up again and again.

Please visit this site and follow up with this information.
ZERO TO THREE: Tips on Learning to Talk

this is a wonderful website and has TONS of information. If your child doesn't seem to be where he should be then go have him evaluated!

I am in a similar situation and really the only solution is to just bite your tongue until you can leave. since you both are EMTs (basics I assume) then you need to set your schedules up to where you will need minimal baby sitting such as having opposite days off with one or two days overlapping during the week where both of you are off to spend time together as a family - assuming you work 24 on and 48 off.

But seriously - you're just going to have to deal with it until you are able to move out.

I am in a similar situation and really the only solution is to just bite your tongue until you can leave. since you both are EMTs (basics I assume) then you need to set your schedules up to where you will need minimal baby sitting such as having opposite days off with one or two days overlapping during the week where both of you are off to spend time together as a family - assuming you work 24 on and 48 off.

But seriously - you're just going to have to deal with it until you are able to move out.

Back