Grandparent too involved

While mom was a teacher of 'OHI' and 'ASD' children she kept those Listerine little disolving papers fresh packs for something- anyhow they melt on your tounge...

These are particularity nasty tasting and non allergenic. (kids over 5 only)

While mom was a teacher of 'OHI' and 'ASD' children she kept those Listerine little disolving papers fresh packs for something- anyhow they melt on your tounge...

These are particularity nasty tasting and non allergenic. (kids over 5 only)

Um, are you saying that she used these to punish the students?

I can't believe it would be sanctioned by any school.

1.) When I spank him I am acting on the request of the Mother and the Grandfather to correct him and it involved the words of pop the pamper out of their mouths.

2.) If spanking is so wrong explain to me why I have a friend who is the Chief Magistrate for the State and know several State Troopers who have all said as long as you don't make it to where they can't sit down you can spank between the knees and the waist on the backside.

I am only asking cause I am hearing a lot of don't spank your child however I am hearing from people with the knowledge of the law in my state that its perfectly fine as long as you don't cross a certain point.

Spanking a 20month old isn't teaching them not to bite - it's teaching them that the way to deal with problems is by hitting others and that adults have permission to hit/hurt you if they want.

Think of this from a infant's/ toddler's eyes:
If he does something you see as wrong, you hit him (call whatever you want, it's still hitting). The cause and effect lesson he learns is: the way to deal with people who do something you don't like is to hit them. He then carries this learn with him, so when he plays with his friends and they take a toy he wants, or does something he doesn't like he uses the technique that you taught him - HE hits them (because you've shown him that hitting is the correct way to manage conflict)

The reality is that almost all toddlers go through a biting phases - for the most part they aren't trying to be mean, or hurt people... they're learning very important developmental lessons - including how their actions impact others, and how sensations work etc. For the first years of their lives they are ENCOURAGED to chew, bite etc ... because they're cutting teeth, learning to chew foods etc - each chewy/teething item, each food has a different "feel" when they bite it ... as do their fingers when they suck, chew on them. At a certain point they start wondering if how it feels to chew/bite other people's fingers etc - not to HURT them, just to see how it feels/what it does. Keep in mind that when they chew on their OWN fingers, they get instant feedback on how hard they're biting themselves - a built in "warning system" that they are going to hurt themselves, so they know to stop biting harder. This "warning" is completely absent if they chew/bite someone else's skin (of course) - however THEY don't understand that - they don't understand that in the way adults do - they don't necessarily understand that if they bite someone and you say it HURTS that it really HURTS YOU (because they're often thinking, "no, it's not hurting me at all ...and when I bit my fingers like this is DOESN'T hurt either - it must be a GAME!!"

The bottom line, is that biting is a developmental STAGE - is a NATURAL (very frustrating for the parent) stage, that DOES need to be managed of course - but honestly spanking isn't sending them an understandable message at all.

It's also worth pointing out that the only people in recent history who've ever been "allowed" to use spanking is parents/guardians (of which BTW, you're currently neither, and legally you could be in a HEAP of trouble for striking this kid because it's not yours). Daycare workers, preschool teachers, babysitters, nannies etc ... none of them are allowed to use any sort of physical punishment (spanking, slapping, hitting etc) - and honestly having looked after infants, toddlers, young children, teens for the last 15+years there has NEVER once been a time in which hitting/spanking was a "good way" or the most effective way to manage the problem. There is ALWAYS an alternative to hitting, always. It's up to the parent/caregiver to be mature and responsible enough to figure out a better means of correcting the child - in a way that makes sense to that child.

Hitting a child teaches that child that violence is the best solution ('act first, think later' management strategies)

Honestly I'd really recommend that you and your fiancee seriously consider taking some parenting classes. I'm not saying this because of the spanking (though it's certainly a factor) - but mainly because it will help you both become better parents to this child, give you strong skills and make sure you are working together in a way that is beneficial for the two of you as parents, as well as for this child. Taking parenting classes together also shows the grandparents that you are committed to raising this child together and using positive parenting methods. The classes will also give you material which you can then share with the grandparents so that everyone is on the "same page" and asserts the mother (and your) roles as parents, and theirs as grandparents.

Regarding the information you got that states as long as you don't hit them hard enough that they can't sit .... to be blunt - they're wrong. It might be their personal opinion, or it might be that if you were taken to court you might not be convicted of child abuse etc, but if you talk to child and family services they will tell you something VERY different than "you can hit them as long as you don't beat them hard enough that they can't sit".

Frankly, the idea that anyone would think it's alright to hit an infant/toddler - as long as they stop before they injure them to the point they physically are in so much pain that they can't sit (either due to bruising, beating the skin red, or in some cases because the blows have actaully broken/fracture the tailbone/coccyx) , that makes me ill. It reminds me too much of the "rule of thumb" - which long before it was a "saying" really was a "rule", which stated you could not hit/ beat your wife or children with a stick/switch that was thicker than your thumb)

I know that in most (if not all) of Canada, and the USA daycare workers, teachers, clergy, medical staff, and anyone who works with children is required by law to officially report any "suspicious: marks, bruises & signs of injury or abuse" as well as report if they see and adult hit/spank child, or if a child says they've been hit. I also know that you can spank a child where there are visible marks (redness, bruising etc) long before they are injured to the point they cannot sit down.

You may be interested in reading this article on the damage spanking can do: Why not to spank The article also lists a number of books how to discipline without violence/spanking etc. many of which are available for loan at public libraries.

I can't believe it would be sanctioned by any school.

Corporal punishment is carried out in districts here in the deep south; especially those states that are apart of the Bible belt. However, I believe they need written permission from the parents to carry it out.

Side stepping the spanking debate, I will say this to the OP.... People here are spot on regarding their perspective about living on someone elses' turf.

If you are being supported by her parents, then you must move her and the baby out of there. You cannot expect to assert your authority while in the Grandparents home. It's like having too many hands in the cookie jar; very hard to get on the same page regarding such matters with so many differing opinions and such.

If you want to assert your right as stepfather to that child, you must get a J.O.B., put aside the money for a place to live, and then, move out and GET MARRIED. Once on your own, you'll need to make sure you'll be able to make it on your own without the help of the Grandparents. As long as they are helping out financially, they have say in what happens to the kid; especially with the Mom and child under their roof.

My advice is get that job and get married asap. Then, make sure you can be self supporting without the help of her parents. If SHE has a problem with separating from her parents, then SHE needs counseling for the good of that child.

Good luck. This is NOT a good situation for you.

Side stepping the spanking debate, I will say this to the OP.... People here are spot on regarding their perspective about living on someone elses' turf.

If you are being supported by her parents, then you must move her and the baby out of there. You cannot expect to assert your authority while in the Grandparents home. It's like having too many hands in the cookie jar; very hard to get on the same page regarding such matters with so many differing opinions and such.

If you want to assert your right as stepfather to that child, you must get a J.O.B., put aside the money for a place to live, and then, move out and GET MARRIED. Once on your own, you'll need to make sure you'll be able to make it on your own without the help of the Grandparents. As long as they are helping out financially, they have say in what happens to the kid; especially with the Mom and child under their roof.

My advice is get that job and get married asap. Then, make sure you can be self supporting without the help of her parents. If SHE has a problem with separating from her parents, then SHE needs counseling for the good of that child.

CLAP CLAP CLAP !!!! bravo- well said!!!

+1 :gpost:

Ok before assuming I do not have a job I am a Manager at the District level for franchise of Wendy's Stores. I just transfered to this area and am living with them until we can find a house we are comfortable with putting the little one in.

Well, dear.. you are NOT going to find the answer you are seeking here.

Everyone gave you excellent advice. You can go on and on until you are blue in the face.

You may or shall I say already have found hostile persons around here throwing their beliefs to you.

It is life around here, if you do not agree be prepared to face angry who think they can make you listen to them.

It is up in air if you want to take the barking order, then you did ask for comments first. I would follow what a good soul tells you to do, none of that modern age junk fits.

Ok before assuming I do not have a job I am a Manager at the District level for franchise of Wendy's Stores. I just transfered to this area and am living with them until we can find a house we are comfortable with putting the little one in.

Then, you've got your solution. Put aside the money and move out of that house. Nothing you can do until then. As long as you're under their roof, expect her Mother to interfere in things. Only way that's gonna change is if the MOM (not you!), has the backbone to tell her Mom to back off. However, that's dicey as this is HER PARENT's house. You aren't even biologically tied to that child, and while it is honorable that you want to support this Mother and child, you have to realize what you are up against. There's nothing you can do until you're out of there. It's really that simple.

Well, dear.. you are NOT going to find the answer you are seeking here.

Everyone gave you excellent advice. You can go on and on until you are blue in the face.

The solution seems pretty danged simple to me. Move out. I hope the OP takes this under consideration and does it.

I'm surprised that the grandparents even allow the boyfriend to live in their home. He's not married to their daughter, and he's not the father of their grandchild. In that situation, he really has no rights to the child's rearing.

I'm surprised that the grandparents even allow the boyfriend to live in their home. He's not married to their daughter, and he's not the father of their grandchild. In that situation, he really has no rights to the child's rearing.

I was surprised too. But like Banjo said, it may not be as uncommon as we think.

My sister and her husband moved in with US when my nephew was a baby. Then, again when he was a preschooler and his sister was a toddler. It was cramped. I still don't understand why my parents allowed the second stint to happen, but whatever. It did.

Whenever you get two families under the same roof, drama ensues. It's inevitable.

Mom had me and was a single Mom until I was almost two. Dad (my stepfather) did NOT live with us, but visited regularly. He was in my life from the beginning and he became my father figure. After they married, they established their own household and we became a family. So, I can relate to the OP, in a way. However, my Dad knew what his rights were (basically none). He offered his support and Mom called the shots. There was drama with the other relatives in regards to me and his ideas vs theirs. However, he dealt with it until factors allowed them to get married. Incidently, my biological father had long been out of the picture. He left my life when I was six months old.

I say this to give the OP an idea of what I am talking about. I KNOW the dynamic well and it's often not very pretty unless the parents have the strength and maturity to deal with things appropriately.

Yes, it may be "common" but it's obvious from these posts that such a situation is not a smooth running one. Lots of conflict and role confusion involved.

Back