yes or no or other

• Yes

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Other : need to explain

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
I see that kids graduated from either school are pretty close numbers of kids who graduated from deaf or mainstreamed school. I thought Most of you graduated from mainstreamed school.

Sometimes I feel like I graduated from the deaf school because I was there for 9 years vs 3 years at the local parochial school.

From the South, and I graduated from a deaf school, but only went for 2 years. As for a job...oh boy!...Took me 6 months to find one. But I worked all my life, but did know a lot of my deafies' (friends), who did go on SSI....

Is it harder to find a job "these" days than it was in the old days?...Seems to me that most deafies are better educated, have some training, etc., than they were years ago.

Then again, when I was considering a career move, and applied at GE (General Electric) and Anheuser Bush, among several other big companies at the time.....even passed their tests...I was not hired!....:hmm:

From the South, and I graduated from a deaf school, but only went for 2 years. As for a job...oh boy!...Took me 6 months to find one. But I worked all my life, but did know a lot of my deafies' (friends), who did go on SSI....

Is it harder to find a job "these" days than it was in the old days?...Seems to me that most deafies are better educated, have some training, etc., than they were years ago.

Then again, when I was considering a career move, and applied at GE (General Electric) and Anheuser Bush, among several other big companies at the time.....even passed their tests...I was not hired!....:hmm:

I had no idea that you went to deaf school. Thats so cool. I wonder the same thing about kids who are having a harder to find a job but i know lots of hearing kids have a hard time finding a job too. im sorry about you not being hired. :/

I had no idea that you went to deaf school. Thats so cool. I wonder the same thing about kids who are having a harder to find a job but i know lots of hearing kids have a hard time finding a job too. im sorry about you not being hired. :/

Oh yes...lost my hearing at age 14, so public schools could no longer accommodate me. Went to NCSD (North Carolina) and graduated there....that's where I learned ASL, but I went "both ways", due to being late-deafened....was it a good choice?....:hmm:

No problem about not being hired (altho' is was a problem to me at the time, (made me angry)....knowing I was qualified, but felt my deafness held me back....

Oh yes...lost my hearing at age 14, so public schools could no longer accommodate me. Went to NCSD (North Carolina) and graduated there....that's where I learned ASL, but I went "both ways", due to being late-deafened....was it a good choice?....:hmm:

No problem about not being hired (altho' is was a problem to me at the time, (made me angry)....knowing I was qualified, but felt my deafness held me back....

Oh. 14 yrs old is the tough years for a teenager. I see that you are strong now. NC has mascot is Hornet correct? green and yellow? i am confused with NC and SC lol! I suppose you have choice of using voice or sign whenever you feel like so. I dont know if its a good choice. eh.

I feel for you about any jobs that hold anyone back becasuse of deafness. argh,.

Oh. 14 yrs old is the tough years for a teenager. I see that you are strong now. NC has mascot is Hornet correct? green and yellow? i am confused with NC and SC lol! I suppose you have choice of using voice or sign whenever you feel like so. I dont know if its a good choice. eh.

I feel for you about any jobs that hold anyone back becasuse of deafness. argh,.

NO....NCSD's colors were Blue and White...the NCSD "Bears"....(I was a cheerleader for those 2 years)....enjoyed it so much and played basketball (1st team), which we won the championship for the first time ever!...So those 2 years at NCSD were good ones!....Plus, I took Print Shop (the only girl in there)...and learned teletype...so it was good training when I applied for a job with a big Newspaper here in Florida....but did work at a small newspaper in N.C. also for 5 years....

NO....NCSD's colors were Blue and White...the NCSD "Bears"....(I was a cheerleader for those 2 years)....enjoyed it so much and played basketball (1st team), which we won the championship for the first time ever!...So those 2 years at NCSD were good ones!....Plus, I took Print Shop (the only girl in there)...and learned teletype...so it was good training when I applied for a job with a big Newspaper here in Florida....but did work at a small newspaper in N.C. also for 5 years....

Ohhh yes thats right about Bears, blue and white. thanks for clearing it up for me. Wow it sounds like you had some good experiences at NCSD. You did participate all of sports and clubs. WOW. In old times, deaf school usually provides good training classes for kids who can get jobs right after school. But not nowaday, as i asked some of my friends who work at deaf school and they told me, nope. everything changes a lot since most companies rather BA degrees or up level kind of degrees. gosh!

Ohhh yes thats right about Bears, blue and white. thanks for clearing it up for me. Wow it sounds like you had some good experiences at NCSD. You did participate all of sports and clubs. WOW. In old times, deaf school usually provides good training classes for kids who can get jobs right after school. But not nowaday, as i asked some of my friends who work at deaf school and they told me, nope. everything changes a lot since most companies rather BA degrees or up level kind of degrees. gosh!

Well, back in "those days", working at a Newspaper, or a printing company, was a good job for deafies, especially in the Press Room where the noise is very loud....and some deafies still work in a lot of Press Rooms....but now-a-days, newspapers are fazing out (due to the Internet)....At last word that I received, Health Care would be in much demand now-a-days....

Well, back in "those days", working at a Newspaper, or a printing company, was a good job for deafies, especially in the Press Room where the noise is very loud....and some deafies still work in a lot of Press Rooms....but now-a-days, newspapers are fazing out (due to the Internet)....At last word that I received, Health Care would be in much demand now-a-days....

yeah when I lived in DC. There is a big newspaper called, washington post there used to have lots of deafies working there. Sad that there are NONE now since they requires for them to use computer. I spoke with the elder guy who just got forced to be retired from there because he does not know how to use computer so had to retire. He got a good retirement plan. so lucky for him. last time we chatted about 14 years ago. I dont know whats up with him or any other folks. sad.

Excuse me.... you didn't let your deafness hold you back.... it is the hearing people with the power to hire who really held you back. That is how I see it when looking for a job.

Excuse me.... you didn't let your deafness hold you back.... it is the hearing people with the power to hire who really held you back. That is how I see it when looking for a job.

Probably right in that aspect....Feel sure it's still being done today....

No, I never went to School for the Deaf all in my life. Grew up in mainstreamed. I noticed most Deaf who graduated from Deaf school and they have no job, just stay home and get money from SSI.

Maybe in your area but not in mine.

Sometimes I feel like I graduated from the deaf school because I was there for 9 years vs 3 years at the local parochial school.

yeah same for some of my friends feel that way what you felt like. apparently deaf school had strong exposing to your life pretty good. :)

I went to Newfoundland School for the Deaf and I felt so blessed that they offered one of the best education and computer technology along schools for the Deaf in Canada.

If i remember right. I hang out too much with those people who went to your school in my first year of prep year and freshman year. LOL I cant remember what was your mascot but i only remember it was green and white but later did it change the colors?

Oh wow.......so was this in the old days? I'm trying to think....there was someone who went to Washington School or Oregon School when she lost her hearing at age 14,, when there was no penicillian. It's hard to believe that there was a time when late deafened kids transferred to deaf schools b/c the public schools couldn't accomodnate them.

Very true about depends on where states. I think ISD is worse education ever. Make sense that most of Deaf who no job due they have no parents (death, jail, leave, etc.) I agreed with you.

I think degrees do not matter about job or not. I had nice job in the past as Canon, IT, etc without degrees. Now, I have two degrees and looking for the job.

ISD? Idaho School for the Deaf? Iowa School for the deaf? The trouble with solotairing is that it's damn near impossible to find a private job, unless you have super good resume......

Not to change the subject, but I hear they are doing some major construction there now....right?

Yes they are. i think they might be done by now. I will have to ask a tod works there.

Back