Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Other : need to explain

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
a simple question

Here is the poll.

Did you graduate from the deaf school ( high school only).

No, but did go to one from 1st thru 9th grade, skipping third grade.

Interesting. Parents decide or you decide to go to hearing school?

We all decided together....I was asked. My French speaking family moved to what is now called Faribault, MN where the school for the deaf is. This school was established I believe in 1864 but my family was already there so it isn't like we moved there so I could attend that school. Reason was just about all of my family for many, many years prior graduated from this local Catholic High School so I went there just for that reason. Notice my experience is the reverse of a lot of deaf students?

From there, I went to Gallaudet.

We all decided together....I was asked. My French speaking family moved to what is now called Faribault, MN where the school for the deaf is. This school was established I believe in 1864 but my family was already there so it isn't like we moved there so I could attend that school. Reason was just about all of my family for many, many years prior graduated from this local Catholic High School so I went there just for that reason. Notice my experience is the reverse of a lot of deaf students?

yeah that's so cool. I went to galladuet. Guess you left before 1989 at gallaudet? ;)

:giggle: ok that sounds fair.

:lol: Actually, my original graduating class was the class of 1967 but I didn't graduate cuz i left after my junior year, knowing that i was not interested in becoming a teacher which was what Gallaudet produced back in those days plus Federal government work. But I was and still am glad for the experience. I learned more about life outside the classroom as an activist than I did in class.
I was involved in two events and grew up in a hurry, lol: The assassination of JFK and the murder of MLK were those two highlights of my foray off a farm in MN to the sea of business and political gray of Washington, D.C. Needless to say, I was very awe-struck.

:lol: Actually, my original graduating class was the class of 1967 but I didn't graduate cuz i left after my junior year, knowing that i was not interested in becoming a teacher which was what Gallaudet produced back in those days plus Federal government work. But I was and still am glad for the experience. I learned more about life outside the classroom as an activist than I did in class.
I was involved in two events and grew up in a hurry, lol: The assassination of JFK and the murder of MLK were those two highlights of my foray off a farm in MN to the sea of business and political gray of Washington, D.C. Needless to say, I was very awe-struck.

yeah wow. I was in DC for 12 years. Glad that federal government jobs were good back in my time. Most of them have no bs or ba degrees and they were lucky ones. Now, those fed gov requires for college degrees to get a job. definintely you had more experiences than mine when i was in DC. My time was nothing but pretty cherry bloossom. LOL

:lol: at "pretty cherry blossoms". Great gift from Japan, those trees.

Well you had the base of deaf school, and then the local Cathloic school prolly had better supports then your average mainstream school. That's how mainstreaming should work....kids need to start out in deaf school or program and then mainstream from there.

Sad to say but you are smart for not becoming a teacher.

Back