Government trying to block cell phones in cars

Only I can think of... roll the windows down and rise your phone to get the signal to make communicate! Bring it on, daddy!
Ha, ha, and that will be even more distracting! :lol:

Good question and after a little thought, I know of an answer. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, because it would have applied to my last post too. From a software engineering point of view, it would be possible for a system to automatically disable any cellular blocking technology while the car is stationary by using computer systems along with sensors. In a more simplistic form, the emergency brake could also be used as a switch. Though, this would make it relatively easy to tamper with.
I believe the system that they propose kicks in only at a certain speed. However, there are times that someone might still need to make an emergency call when moving at that speed, such a spotting an Amber Alert vehicle or drunk driver, being chased by a nogoodnik, a medical emergency, or a stuck accelerator.

But not everyone can afford a top-of-the-line modern car with the OnStar feature. I drive 2001 Ford SporTrac. It is still in good condition and I am happy with it.
Exactly. I'm not giving up my 95 Jeep just to get OnStar.

Yes I understand that but in time, I believe that this will become a standard safety feature. This is often how technology is seen. For example, 10 years ago only the top-end cars typically had traction control as standard. (Though, I believe statistics may differ in North America) Today, most modern cars have traction control.
I don't have that either. :(

Jamming cell signals in vehicles will never happen because:

3. If taken hostage, a phone call to 911 can save your life, especially if you've been stuffed in the trunk and your hostage taker hasn't noticed your phone yet.
That recently happened locally. A woman was stuffed into her car trunk, and she called 911 from there.

She was rescued, and the guy was arrested.

Jamming cell signals in vehicles will never happen because:

1. People will need to report erratic drivers, drunken drivers, etc.
2. People will need to report road conditions to authorities in inclement weather.
3. If taken hostage, a phone call to 911 can save your life, especially if you've been stuffed in the trunk and your hostage taker hasn't noticed your phone yet.
4. People will need to report forest fires, grass fires, house fires, suspicious behavior at residences and/or businesses.
5. There will be an emergency that will occur and someone will need to report it via cellphone.

Again I stand by it because a vehicle is considered your private domain, however you still need to abide by the laws and regulations while driving on taxpayer (public) funded roads.

The best analogy is that yes, you can do what you want in your house just as so long as you don't harm or place others in danger, this also includes harming yourself or putting yourself in danger. You can have an indoor garden, you just can't grow cannabis.
oh my goodness. How did we ever survive prior to the cell phone. :giggle:

We had pay phones on every block back then and we could just drive to the nearest payphone and report it. However by the time you could call; the thieves or perpetrators would be long gone.

Also before cell phones not everyone had a vehicle and people just drove better.

It's been ages since I've seen a pay phone.

Exactly. I'm not giving up my 95 Jeep just to get OnStar.

me either. it's too "big brotherish." I was surprised to learn how much they can know from OnStar. They can control whatever they want - opening your window, turn on headlight, etc. :Ohno:

With proper paperwork and warrant, the police can easily monitor/track you down.

I'm so glad that mine's not equipped with it. :nono:

lol ya'all.... it's that simple...

they can jam the phones and one can still call 911. it's very simple. You are required to pay for voice plan but even without voice plan, 911 can work.

US military did this in Iraq.

lol ya'all.... it's that simple...

they can jam the phones and one can still call 911. it's very simple. You are required to pay for voice plan but even without voice plan, 911 can work.

US military did this in Iraq.

So simple that passenger's privilege is taken.

Simply THAT.

Agree?

me either. it's too "big brotherish." I was surprised to learn how much they can know from OnStar. They can control whatever they want - opening your window, turn on headlight, etc. :Ohno:

With proper paperwork and warrant, the police can easily monitor/track you down.

I'm so glad that mine's not equipped with it. :nono:
Jesse Ventura says that every time he gets a vehicle with OnStar included, he disables it.

MIL has a vehicle with OnStar but she doesn't drive much, and she needs to be kept track of. (Don't ask.)

But not everyone can afford a top-of-the-line modern car with the OnStar feature. I drive 2001 Ford SporTrac. It is still in good condition and I am happy with it.

Eww. I refuse to buy any car that has OnStar in it. I don't like the idea that someone else can control my car. And how much longer till thieves start using the technologies to steal your car. That is if they haven't already been using it.

Eww. I refuse to buy any car that has OnStar in it. I don't like the idea that someone else can control my car. And how much longer till thieves start using the technologies to steal your car. That is if they haven't already been using it.

there's a very very very strict protocol regarding the use of OnStar. However - there were some cases of thieves stealing car via OnStar.

How? Identity Theft.

Let's see, before cellphones was pagers. Before pagers was CB (according to Reba) and payphone. Before payphones.....Probably hardly any cars. Just horse and carriage and pigeons.

Back