got the hearing aids today

I think as some people had said also i asked my mum about this as i am profoundly deaf since birth, if people can hear her hearing aids it means that the HA is inproper fit could be the fitting of the molds.

Not all AN kids can have CI. Have a kid at school with AN, he cannot have one (will ask the CI centre to explain why, when i get back to UK).

Spoke with the audiologist today. They said that the aids are maxed out and will have alot of feedback- especially since she's still learning to hold her head up. Today they haven't been as loud... so it was probably a combo of not having them in properly and her resting her head against something.

Tousi- I guess the hearing aids were the audiologist's idea. With no idea how deep her hearing loss was, I also was very curious if HA amplification would help.

Thanks for all the links and info everyone.

Hello My name

I grew up in Iowa and as a Hard of Hearing person I too had struggles. The Deaf community is largest in central Iowa (in Des Moines and Story counties). Des Moines Area Community College has good ASL classes to take also the professors there can get you hooked up with the deaf community. Iowa School for the deaf in Council Bluffs is also a good reasource. Iowa School for the Deaf

Tousi- I guess the hearing aids were the audiologist's idea. With no idea how deep her hearing loss was, I also was very curious if HA amplification would help.
It's always worth it to see if HA will help.
Hey Iowaboy, are you closer to a bordering state, that might have more dhh resources?

We finally got scheduled for an Early Access visit in two weeks! Also, the area school system is sending someone out to talk on the same day. I'm pretty excited to see what is available for our daughter in the area. We're kind of in the middle of nowhere 120 miles from Des Moines, and 80 miles from a neighboring state. I was caught off guard this week at work, when a co-worker said hey, you might have to get your daugher a CI like my son's. His 10 year old son has had one since age 2. It seems the more I look, the more resources I find.

That's fantastic and indeed is a very small world! It's nice to have someone who understands your postition and can support you.

I'd say Cued Speech over SEE.. makes more sense in theory to me. HOWEVER, i've never used either so i don't actually know!
*EQL*

For your daughter in an area where she will be isolated if she doesn't have a mastery of auditory language, cued speech can be the difference between isolation and inclusion.
On the other hand, very few dhh people overall cue. It's a good tool.......but since it's very rarely used, there's really no evidence that it promotes inclusion. Heck, how many hearing people do you know who do phoentic hand signals?
iowaboy, my best advice is to go out with all guns blazing and see what works with your daughter. There is NO reason that you can't do ASL and speech training. Any chance you might be able to move? It's very common for parents to move closer to Deaf Schools, so their kids can attend a good one.

On the other hand, very few dhh people overall cue. It's a good tool.......but since it's very rarely used, there's really no evidence that it promotes inclusion. Heck, how many hearing people do you know who do phoentic hand signals?
iowaboy, my best advice is to go out with all guns blazing and see what works with your daughter. There is NO reason that you can't do ASL and speech training. Any chance you might be able to move? It's very common for parents to move closer to Deaf Schools, so their kids can attend a good one.

I know 2 families (4 kids) that cue. They are all doing amazing. But, that's 4 in our entire state.

"They are all doing amazing"

Four cueing families who are providing for their children an accurate precise system for removing the ambiguity of spoken English, supporting their lip reading skills and a building a strong foundation for literacy in English in a country where English is everywhere. Hats off to them!

dd- How many people do you know who use spoken/written English?

know 2 families (4 kids) that cue. They are all doing amazing. But, that's 4 in our entire state.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't EVER used. It's just that as a primary method of communcation it isn't used all that much compared with other methods.
loml,
That's like saying that you should adopt Morse Code as a communication method since it symbolizes English. yes, the dot dit dot translates into the English alaphabet, but how many people do you know who go around dot dit doting for communcation?
Yes, the cued speech hand signals stand for English, but hardly any hearing people would even know what the hand signals meant.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't EVER used. It's just that as a primary method of communcation it isn't used all that much compared with other methods.
loml,
That's like saying that you should adopt Morse Code as a communication method since it symbolizes English. yes, the dot dit dot translates into the English alaphabet, but how many people do you know who go around dot dit doting for communcation?
Yes, the cued speech hand signals stand for English, but hardly any hearing people would even know what the hand signals meant.

The idea is that they become fluent spoken language users.

Cued English is not Morse Code

loml,

deafdyke - With all due respect.

Cued English is the sounds of spoken language it is not based on spelling. The letters in the alphabet all have names, but they also have sounds. For example the letter Aa, can "make" three sounds in spoken English. Families who cue to their children are providing their child visual access to the sounds of speech, as is is spoken, NOT as it (English) is spelled, as in finger spelling or Morse Code. The sounds of the number name, or the sounds a rooster makes in the morning, are all provided visually.

Children who are provided the opportunity to learn/read Cued English, by their families cueing to them, do not need to have the hearing world learn how to cue. They (the children) become extremely proficient at lip/speech reading, because seeing the hand shapes and mouth shapes creates an inner voice of the sounds for them. They are provided access to the language of their family, by family members who already know the language. In simple terms, they "hear" the sounds internally. So when these same children are out and away from their families, they are able to read the sounds of unfamiliar people, because they know/understand the sounds of speech/words/mouth shapes. Cueing supports the speech development in children who use their voices as they have a clear understanding between voice and not voiced and other nuances of speech. They are provided visual cues for initial, medial and final sounds.

I hope this helps you to understand what Cued English is.

Last edited:
The idea is that they become fluent spoken language users.

FJ - Cued Speech on its own is not an articulation tool, while it may /can benefit spoken language, the intention with the use of Cued English/Cued Speech is for literacy in English.

FJ - Cued Speech on its own is not an articulation tool, while it may /can benefit spoken language, the intention with the use of Cued English/Cued Speech is for literacy in English.

Right. To have fluency in the spoken language. (Maybe not by listening and speaking, but still the phonetic language of spoken English would be the first, native, and primary language)

Right. To have fluency in the spoken language. (Maybe not by listening and speaking, but still the phonetic language of spoken English would be the first, native, and primary language)

fj- Cueing is not phonetic awareness. Cueing is phonemic awareness.

Phonemic awareness is not phonics. Phonemic awareness is an understanding about spoken language. Children who are phonemically aware can tell the teacher that bat is the word the teacher is representing by saying the three separate sounds in the word. They can tell you all the sounds in the spoken word dog. They can tell you that, if you take the last sound off cart you would have car. Phonics on the other hand, is knowing the relation between specific, printed letters (including combinations of letters) and specific, spoken sounds. You are asking children to show their phonics knowledge when you ask them which letter make the first sound in bat or dog or the last sound in car or cart. The phonemic awareness tasks that have predicted successful reading are tasks that demand that children attend to spoken language, not tasks that simply ask students to name letters or tell which letters make which sounds.

Phonemic Phonic Awareness

Back