Goofy Interpreters

ayala920 said:
Having no idea how much you can hear/speak, I'm curious as to whether you were able to learn to read and write the languages you took. Though I imagine that would be difficult as well.

I remember when Daedalus (I'm assuming we both know who that is) took Hebrew at Georgetown- it was a horrible failure. He ended up having to drop it on the last day to withdraw from a class because he was failing so miserably. :)

I wonder how they do it at Gallaudet. I know they offer foreign languages there.

Hebrew! Poor Daedalus. My oldest friend, who is also congenitally and profoundly deaf, in the world was very stressed when she was preparing for her Bat Mitzvah. She struggled with Hebrew. In the end, she pulled herself through and could read from the Torah as well as lead part of the prayers. I was proud of her. I am still proud of her.

I'd never take Chinese (Mandarin) in an academic setting, even though it is my parents' native language and the grammar isn't difficult to understand. The tones are the most problematic aspect of the language for me to grasp. Plus, I am terrified of walking into a Chinese language class. It is similar to the idea of a deaf person walking into an ASL class. Capisci?

I don't know how to measure my expressive and comprehensive skills, but you can safely assume that I'm hardly an exceptional case. :)

Once I communicated with a professor who taught Spanish and French at Gallaudet. He told me that he generally emphasizes language laboratory work and has specialized computer programs to teach his students. He also offers the option of instructing them to learn how to speak if they elect to.

Happened to me last July as we moved in the different city have had an appt for my younger daughter for immunization at her 18 mo there was terrible interpreter knows nothing but hearing way when u first met hearing people and tried to sign with ur body language, u know, I was like WTF? is she certified interpreter?! and my girls's father looked at paper by Dr looking and writting and asking QQ the interpreter kept pointing to my older daughter is she breastfed, potty trained and e.t.c. I was like why Dr asked such QQ to my older daughter she is 5 yrs old Dr knows better I havent heard 5 yrs old being breastfed and still on diapers, e.t.c. HUH? we made an appt for our younger daughter so he saw name of younger daughter there and stopped with his hand to the interpreter face no more signing for us* and we wrote to Dr to correct, Dr knew it then we left that room we asked that interpreter about her certified she replied not have but working as a nurse at hospital that how Dr heard about that and asked to come for us, OIC. I called that Dr as we re unpleased Dr should have known better to get certified interpreter(ofc, I may see here many certified interpreter not really skills, others really good skills but no certified, funny!?! but that terrible interpreter is worst nothing ASL!) and Dr apologized will inform that hospital. My shoulder surgery checked up at that hospital still now for P.T. they got better, certified, interpreter :)

gnulinuxman said:
Oh....I agree..... I am fluent in ASL (for real), PSE, and in English and Spanish too. However, even though I am hearing and speak these three languages (and one "arificial" signing system) fluently, I don't consider myself qualified to be an interpreter. Because my fiancee was raised in an oral household (and it was abuse from her mom (who thinks she is the most perfect person in the world and DETESTS ASL or even signed English)), my fiancee doesn't think she needs/deserves a good interpreter during doctor visits if I go with her. I CAN interpret ASL quite well, better than most of those idiots they call interpreters. And these IDIOTS are CERTIFIED!!!!

I may be a pro-bono interpreter some day. (It's something I'm considering because I am sick of the shitty interpreting services we have now and because interpreters are too damn expensive for what they do...ASL interpreting isn't hard at all if you have a genuine interest in it. Those idiot interpreters, however, just want the money.). Several interpreters yelled at me for using ASL (when I "should be using my voice", they claim...), even with my fiancee in there. (My fiancee and I think it is best if I sign everything I say myself because it eliminates interpreter errors and translation losses.) I can't believe the stupidity I've seen in interpreters.

I might not want to get certified, though. You guys have to understand that certification means nothing. It's mostly bullshit.

I think interpreters need to be frequently spot-checked by Deaf people. The way it's done now is obviously not working. Those of you who are Deaf need to stand up. I can't do it for you! I believe you guys can live a much more stress-free life by threatening legal action because of interpreter problems. You shouldn't have to take it. Remember Gallaudet?

Wow, you really have a LOT of anger going on. Why do you hate interpreters so much? You seem to have a vendetta going on here. There's no cause for such outrage. I don't think anybody was asking you to stand up for Deaf people, why is it your personal mission to make sure everybody knows that all interpreters are such terrible human beings? I also notice that you said "I am not qualified to be an interpreter" and then you go on to say "I might interpret for free someday" - perhaps it's true that you get what you pay for? :thumbd:

Oh wow when I read this thread make me wow. should have certified :).

I have no problem with an interpreters.

On thur March 16th I will go with Liz for an Interpreters with Jessica at the worklink to find a job cuase here st.catharines hard find a job so i go with Jessica to find a job in here st.catharines. :)

Oddball said:
Yeah, I could do that by calling the interpreting agency and objecting about her lack of signing skills. But the problem was I don't know which agency she has worked for. If I knew the agency she is working for, definitely I would call to complain.
Sorry to be :topic: for a moment.

I'm a terp, and whenever I meet a new client for the first time, I introduce myself, give the client my business card, a key chain with the company's info, and a stamped, self-addressed post card from my company. The post card has spaces on it for the client to fill out for feedback about the terp. The clients are not required to sign their names or include any identifying info if they don't want to. That is, they don't need to include the time and place of the service.

At the very least, in a one-on-one setting, a professional terp should give you a business card upon introduction. I realize it is sometimes not possible during large meetings with several clients present.

I also give business cards to the hearing clients whenever possible.

Back