Goofy Interpreters

Oddball

Stay weird
Premium Member
Reaction score
One time I went to the doctor office for SSDI evaluation. I got an interpeter for my DR appointment and did not recall her name. I thought she was a qualified ASL interpreter, but it turned out she was not because she often misunderstand my signs. I told DR to hold on for a minute, he understood. I BLUNTLY asked her, "Are you a certificated ASL interpeter"? She honestly responsed to me, "no. I am sorry" in several times. I politely nodded at her statements as I was very miffed inside. When the meeting was over, I thanked her for interpreting me even though she SUCKED. Afterwards, I never see her again ever since. She is a lousy interpreter.

u should fire her and requested a certifited interpreter immediately instead being softhearted for that woman..

Originally posted by TygersaidStfu
u should fire her and requested a certifited interpreter immediately instead being softhearted for that woman..

:werd:

I have no problem with any interpreters cuz they are all full service interpreters but still not enough number to require for Deaf here in Newfoundland to service.

Oddball -- ive had some great and stupid terps -- i had a terp for a work related mandatory in-service and shes so STUPID *rme* but couldnt get her replaced right there unfortunately so had to *nodding* at her terping for that in-service i was required to go to (also wanted to get that out of the way cuz its so INCREDIABLY BORING but is mandatory for county employees) and yep i survived that! :ugh:

Originally posted by TygersaidStfu

Yeah, I could do that by calling the interpreting agency and objecting about her lack of signing skills. But the problem was I don't know which agency she has worked for. If I knew the agency she is working for, definitely I would call to complain.

Originally posted by Oddball
Yeah, I could do that by calling the interpreting agency and objecting about her lack of signing skills. But the problem was I don't know which agency she has worked for. If I knew the agency she is working for, definitely I would call to complain.

She probably works for an illegal agency otherwise she shouldn't have been lousy in ASL :o

Or maybe that agency doesn't care how certified they are and hires them anyway? :dunno:

oddball, maybe i can help you here, so you don't have to go thru this again. first, i must say i feel for you, but in a way you allowed this to happen which in turn won't help you or the dear/hh population attain the appropriate service needed.
as a consumer one should always know what the name of the business or agency that is providing one with any service. that way if a problem arises, such as yours it can be fixed.
second, it's quite possible a "certified" interpreter may not of met your needs. maybe before the appointment next time request an interpreter that has experience in medical interpreting. that interpreter wasn't at fault for being"non certifified" it sounds like the terp simply didn't have the skills for any setting period. the owner of the agency should have been aware of your strong ASL needs and sent an interpreter that can sign ASL and has knowledge in the medical field. don't be so nice because you don't want anyone messing up when it comes to your health. you sound real nice, but in this situation i feel you should have been more firm. be careful out there, i hoped this helped a bit.
i'm disappointed this interpreter didn't make an immediate call for a replacement. i am an interpreter and can sign ASL, PSE, and SEE, but ther has been times when i tell my client" hey i can't meet your needs, so let me call my boss and possibly get you a different interpreter." professionalism is important in all fields. good luck

I had an interpreter in my high school who was so funny. She would tell us jokes during class when we were bored of the lecture. One time, she told my friend and I a joke. One of my friends started laughing out loud and the teacher looked at her saying, "What are you laughing at!?" The interpreter looked at the teacher and shruged her shoulders saying, "I dunno." :lol:

I never had interpreter. Well there was some other deaf student in my classes but when is saw the interpreter she stick a tongue and blow kisses at me. I was whaa? :eek: and the deaf student were laughing at me. They know me a little since I drop by to say hi cuz I know a little signing.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
I had an interpreter in my high school who was so funny. She would tell us jokes during class when we were bored of the lecture. One time, she told my friend and I a joke. One of my friends started laughing out loud and the teacher looked at her saying, "What are you laughing at!?" The interpreter looked at the teacher and shruged her shoulders saying, "I dunno." :lol:

LOL that is funny !!!!

ahhhh i used to have one interpreter ... Pat Molinder (it's a SHE, not a HE) she is a good one for me when i was in 6th and 7th grade

Originally posted by Oddball

That prob could easily be fixed by having only one agency hiring your interpreters for you... I request all of mine through this one agency and I haven't had many problems with that one agency so far except on one occassion when I had an interpreter that did not know her sign language (I was confused about whether or not she knew her stuff and whether or not if she was certified, I'm pretty sure she wasn't cuz she wasn't doing her job the proper way - she made fun of the way i signed and stuff). Other than that, I love all about five interpreters that I use in my classes.

Ahh...These days, it's hard to find the perfect interpreter. I've had hard time explaining to hearing people in the business world how necessary we have to have interpreters for any situations. I've argued with people many times and tossed ADA papers on their table and demand for a certificated interpreter when they proposed a friend of theirs that has knowledge of ABCs and little bit of sign languages, even someone who knows sign language.They'll do anything to save their money! :fu2: That's how I am treated. You guys are not the only ones! So, this time, we have to make our voices loud and be assertiviness! Know your rights!

Back