Good news for same sex partners

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, the article you posted is about immigration.

I know but our thread isn't discussing about general immigration, so it is just limited to focus on homosexual couples only, that which they received unfair move, different treatment and not have same immigration rights as heterosexual couples, due to DOMA.

All general immigration related goes to current events or political section.

I will appreciate that you respect my wish instead of getting our thread locked because of unnecessarily, uncivil debate.

No, that's not true, they changed the policy to include same sex partners in consideration when deal with immigrant issues. There are gay partners got arrested and face deportation, even married too, while opposite sex partners receive a grant to stay in USA because they have partner that is US citizen. The new policy makes fair for gay partners so they will not deported for not arrive legally at first place, long as they have other partner that is US citizen.

Now, at point, this thread isn't discuss about how is bad policies about immigration, but it makes fair for gay partners to be included, just same treat as heterosexual couples.

Impaired is making the point that this is a bad policy that will backfire and have negative consequences. He gave examples as well. And is right.

I know but our thread isn't discussing about general immigration, so it is just limited to focus on homosexual couples only, that which they received unfair move, different treatment and not have same immigration rights as heterosexual couples, due to DOMA.

All general immigration related goes to current events or political section.

I will appreciate that you respect my wish instead of getting our thread locked because of unnecessarily, uncivil debate.

If I have been uncivilized, please let me know. I think I get what you are trying to achieve with your thread. Stating that same sex couples have not been treated fairly by our immigration laws. However, if you are going to be "fair" people should not be censored. Not trying to stir the pot, just making an observation.

I don't think that some of you will understand about what is point of this thread.

I'm going give a example.

Johnny is US citizen (He was born in US) and Tommy is Thailand citizen. Tommy obtained the permission from immigration office to enter the US with visa that have expiration date (temporarily - 6 months). Tommy found a boyfriend that love him - his name is Johnny. Tommy and Johnny decided to live together, but Tommy's visa expired and he was supposed to leave US and he refused because he has important love who live in US. When ICE agent questioned Tommy about his immigration status and detained in immigration center until hear in the court. Under new policy, Tommy will able to stay in US because he has love with Johnny, so Johnny is US citizen.
This isn't clear. Is there actually a law that states a foreign person can stay in the USA simply because he/she "has love" with an American? I can maybe understand married couples, or couples with children together having some basis to stay but just having love with someone? That seems like a very weak legal basis. What's to stop any foreigner from saying they have "love" with an American? How do you prove "love?"

I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Other example - in state of Massachusetts, Brian is US citizen and Rajiv is Indian citizen. Rajiv visited USA without visa for limited of time so on and off for few years. Brian and Rajiv are in together for few years and they decided to have marriage, that's only recognized by state of Massachusetts. After they got married so Rajiv decided to stay in US for long time until ICE agent questioned him and detained to immigration center. After court hearing and under new policy, Rajiv will be allowed to stay in US because he has love from Brian who is US citizen.
Again, I find it hard to believe that foreigners are allowed to stay in the USA simply because they claim to "have love" with an American.

Our assistant pastor (an American citizen) married a Canadian woman, and they had the hardest time dealing with Immigration to let her stay in the USA. Just because they "had love" wasn't enough to satisfy the legal requirements. It took years of paperwork, traveling, and expense before she was allowed to stay permanently.

Our missionary friend, a native of Poland, met an American young lady (daughter of two of our church staff members) while in college, and married her upon graduation. He didn't get permission to stay permanently in America just because they "had love." They had to do a lot of traveling between countries, lots of paperwork, expense, etc., in order for him to finally get dual citizenship. "Having love" was not enough for Immigration authorities.

Another young couple we know, and American man and a Canadian woman, who also met at college, got married and planned to settle in the USA. They have been having lots of complications in getting the US government to allow her to stay. If it was disapproved, they would have to move to Canada.

Why should it be easier for homosexual couples just because they "have love?"

The example about heterosexual couple, Chris is US citizen and Ann is French citizen. Ann decided to visit US without visa for limited of time, on and off. Ann found one man that she love named Chris. Chris and Ann have been together for one year. They decided to have a marriage in state of California. After they are married. ICE agent questioned Ann about her immigration status and detained to immigration center. After court hearing and Ann is allowed to stay in US because she has husband that is US citizen.

Even under old policy, Ann will still allowed to stay in US because they include heterosexual couple as consideration but homosexual couples were excluded until federal changed the policy.
Yes, they were considered for permission to stay but they didn't always get permission to stay. It wasn't automatic for heterosexual couples.

If you don't agree with entire of immigration policy, even heterosexual or homosexual, so this thread isn't right place to discussion because we are discussing about policy change to include homosexual couples.
I don't think there ever was policy for anyone to be allowed to stay in the USA simply for "love."

This isn't clear. Is there actually a law that states a foreign person can stay in the USA simply because he/she "has love" with an American? I can maybe understand married couples, or couples with children together having some basis to stay but just having love with someone? That seems like a very weak legal basis. What's to stop any foreigner from saying they have "love" with an American? How do you prove "love?"

Again, I find it hard to believe that foreigners are allowed to stay in the USA simply because they claim to "have love" with an American.

Our assistant pastor (an American citizen) married a Canadian woman, and they had the hardest time dealing with Immigration to let her stay in the USA. Just because they "had love" wasn't enough to satisfy the legal requirements. It took years of paperwork, traveling, and expense before she was allowed to stay permanently.

Our missionary friend, a native of Poland, met an American young lady (daughter of two of our church staff members) while in college, and married her upon graduation. He didn't get permission to stay permanently in America just because they "had love." They had to do a lot of traveling between countries, lots of paperwork, expense, etc., in order for him to finally get dual citizenship. "Having love" was not enough for Immigration authorities.

Another young couple we know, and American man and a Canadian woman, who also met at college, got married and planned to settle in the USA. They have been having lots of complications in getting the US government to allow her to stay. If it was disapproved, they would have to move to Canada.

Yes, they were considered for permission to stay but they didn't always get permission to stay. It wasn't automatic for heterosexual couples.

I don't think there ever was policy for anyone to be allowed to stay in the USA simply for "love."

:gpost:....right on the dot...squarely hit the bulls eye, Reba....

Impaired is making the point that this is a bad policy that will backfire and have negative consequences. He gave examples as well. And is right.

You agree with his comment, but I don't.

I don't understand all impaired's posts and doesn't know about what he was trying to say, also I'm dead serious about unable to understand about what you and impaired saying.

Please clarify the post with basic grammars that easier for me to understand.

If I have been uncivilized, please let me know. I think I get what you are trying to achieve with your thread. Stating that same sex couples have not been treated fairly by our immigration laws. However, if you are going to be "fair" people should not be censored. Not trying to stir the pot, just making an observation.

I don't understand about what are you talking about.

*shake my head* I spent 40 minutes to type and I'm very disappointed that no one get my words.

I'm talking about SPOUSES - married or civil unions.

The gay couples who are married or civil unions, especially their spouse isn't naturalized in US so gay person could lose their spouse, if something goes wrong - overstaying visa, speeding ticket, minor crime.

but heterosexual couples already have full rights and their non-naturalized spouses will not deported for overstaying visa, speeding ticket, minor crime.

That why Homeland Security changed their policy to include homosexual couples, so it is fair for homosexual couples now.

You agree with his comment, but I don't.

I don't understand all impaired's posts and doesn't know about what he was trying to say, also I'm dead serious about unable to understand about what you and impaired saying.

Please clarify the post with basic grammars that easier for me to understand.

I don't see how it could be any clearer. Also, how can you disagree if you don't understand?

I don't see how it could be any clearer. Also, how can you disagree if you don't understand?

I'm trying to figure it out about what impaired saying but I got on wrong track.

Not all members are going clarify their posts so it is my best to make comment that relevant to their post, so I did have some successes, not all of them.

I'm saying about article is good news because homosexual couples have fair treatment as heterosexual couples do.

I'm trying to figure it out about what impaired saying but I got on wrong track.

Not all members are going clarify their posts so it is my best to make comment that relevant to their post, so I did have some successes, not all of them.

I'm saying about article is good news because homosexual couples have fair treatment as heterosexual couples do.
If each couple is legally married under the law, then their immigration status should be evaluated equally. It has nothing to do with "love." Immigration authorities do not evaluate love.

If each couple is legally married under the law, then their immigration status should be evaluated equally. It has nothing to do with "love." Immigration authorities do not evaluate love.

I refer marriage as love, so that why I use.

Now, I said marriage, marriage, marriage, all to replace the word "love".

It isn't excusable to exclude homosexual couples from policy and stop treat us as second class citizen.

"Last year, Attorney General Eric Holder and President Barack Obama called DOMA unconstitutional and said they would no longer defend the measure in court. In response, the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives stepped in to fund an effort to try to uphold the law.

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to decide next month whether it will review a number of cases questioning the constitutionality of DOMA."

It's not up to the President or the executive branch to declare any law unconstitutional. Because our government is set up with a separation of powers, only the Supreme Court can do that. We need to wait for the Court's decision.

I refer marriage as love, so that why I use.

Now, I said marriage, marriage, marriage, all to replace the word "love".

It isn't excusable to exclude homosexual couples from policy and stop treat us as second class citizen.
It's important to differentiate between love and marriage because one is a legal status, and the other isn't.

There can be marriages without love, and there can be love without marriage. In the eyes of the law, these terms are not interchangeable. To Immigration authorities, love definitely doesn't matter.

"Last year, Attorney General Eric Holder and President Barack Obama called DOMA unconstitutional and said they would no longer defend the measure in court. In response, the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives stepped in to fund an effort to try to uphold the law.

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to decide next month whether it will review a number of cases questioning the constitutionality of DOMA."

It's not up to the President or the executive branch to declare any law unconstitutional. Because our government is set up with a separation of powers, only the Supreme Court can do that. We need to wait for the Court's decision.

Excuse me, this thread isn't focus about Obama and the executive branch handling on DOMA, so we are focus about homosexual couples receive a fair treatment.

It already served on purpose about president handling of DOMA and I disagree with your statement, so I don't need to explain why.

Excuse me, this thread isn't focus about Obama and the executive branch handling on DOMA, so we are focus about homosexual couples receive a fair treatment.

It already served on purpose about president handling of DOMA and I disagree with your statement, so I don't need to explain why.
:confused: I quoted it from your posted link. Isn't that what the thread is about? Obviously, how the Court decides about DOMA will impact on how Immigration handles deportation cases of same-sex couples.

:confused: I quoted it from your posted link. Isn't that what the thread is about? Obviously, how the Court decides about DOMA will impact on how Immigration handles deportation cases of same-sex couples.

Like I said, this thread is limited to discuss about homosexual couples receive a fair treatment, same immigration rights, so I can limit the topic about how discussed, and it doesn't matter about what article saying so.

We debated with you about our president's handling on DOMA and I disagree with you about our president should defend the DOMA, but not disagree about Supreme Court make decision about whichever DOMA is constitutional or not.

It already served on purpose about our president's handling on DOMA and other thread contains those statement got locked up due to uncivil debate.

And people get married for all kinds of different reasons....not only for "Love"....some for convenience, wealth, children, forced marriages....list goes on and on....even "lust"....now another reason "pops up"!...another gay marries a gay person who is illegal in the US, and wants to stay because "they are in Love".....say what?...

If the gay couple were so in Love...they knew how or what to do to legalize themselves in order to stay here in our Country....Just being in Love don't cut it, Foxrac....

This thread will going be locked up soon.

I'm very sad that some members don't understand about homosexual couples because they are minority, the sex orientation isn't choice and they do have strong feeling. The homosexual couples have deal with numerous discrimination from government and workplaces, and disowned by families. They are deserved to have full equality as heterosexual couples enjoyed for many years.

I rather to have members who support and full understand about gay rights to discuss in our thread, instead of getting drowned by people who don't have any understanding in gay rights.

I noticed that my posts are easily to be politicized and I'm not happy about that. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back