Gonna go NaNoWriMo

Berry

Reaction score
As if I don't have enough to do.

But I've been thinking about doing it for years and I don't want to wait till next year.

Anybody else here?

I've been considering it for three years since I first found out about it. I really want to join a local group who meets up and writes because I know it'll motivate me more. However, I'm nervous because they're all hearing and I can't hear well in group situations!

Go for it Berry!

BeatriceB...just let the group know of your difficulty. There are actually some very easy ways for them to accomodate you.

I tried to do this one year and my computer completely went kaput on day three. I may try again this year and see. At least I have some time to think about the storyline I want and what kind of characters I want. If I finish early, I can go back and flesh my characters out more and other editing. Not sure if anyone would read it though. Maybe I can have it in PDF format to share with you when I'm done.

I tried to do this one year and my computer completely went kaput on day three. I may try again this year and see. At least I have some time to think about the storyline I want and what kind of characters I want. If I finish early, I can go back and flesh my characters out more and other editing. Not sure if anyone would read it though. Maybe I can have it in PDF format to share with you when I'm done.

Please do!

I don't divide my novels into chapters until I'm through, then in editing I go back and I say "OK, this looks like a good stopping point in the overall story." Usually it's a point where the reader believes a mystery or another turn in the overall plot is revealed. Or if a certain amount of time passes and there's no need to go into detail about the time in the previous chapter and the time in the next chapter. However, in free writing if I feel like a part might potentially make a good stopping point, I will make note of it at that spot and continue on.

Also, I don't try to put in too many subplots. It's ok to have a love story between two characters as a subplot in a murder mystery, but don't let it turn into THE plot - unless you decide to make one of the lovers the killer in the murder mystery and you're willing to possibly kill off another main character towards the end where you may or may not reveal this.

Also, for a lot of the mainstream readers, most don't like characters who use profanity too often. The occasional 'damn' or 'shit' will suffice, but most don't go for the f-bombs and GDs.

You can still have a good novel without being too dry or boring without the excessive profanity and super gross goryness or overly explicit sexual tones and it can still be considered for adult audiences due to it's complexity or situations within the story.

So with all that - what type of novel do you think you will do?
There's your standard murder mystery. Horror novel, Romance novel, Crime Drama novel, Historical fiction novel, Sci-Fi novel, Contemporary Fiction novel, and plenty others.

I haven't decided what kind of novel I would like to do this time, but my last attempt was supposed to be a mystery. I try to build my characters around people I do know in real life, sometimes taking bits of my own personal life and infusing it into a couple different characters, but of course, it never follows my life or anyone elses life exactly either. Like for instance a character might not have had the best grades in school but was other wise a good student and stayed out of trouble. While another character might have an older brother, and another character might have over protective family members. It just depends on what I need for that specific character in order to carry the plot forward in an interesting way.

I've been considering it for three years since I first found out about it. I really want to join a local group who meets up and writes because I know it'll motivate me more. However, I'm nervous because they're all hearing and I can't hear well in group situations!

Hmmm. Neither can I -- And I'm a hearie.

I'm afraid everybody would get to talking about writing and nobody would get any done.

When you join NaNoWriMo you put in where you live and they will show you the closest group.

What kind of novels are you interested in writing, Berry?

In my life time I have written just about every genre you can think of. I have written more mysteries than anything. Science fiction, fantasy, one horror novel needs some serious rewriting.

Am waiting till the day I start writing to find out what I an going to do for NaNo.

Some people who went NaNo have become decent selling authors -- You could write a best seller.

But if you do or you don't -- The point is to have fun.

In my life time I have written just about every genre you can think of. I have written more mysteries than anything. Science fiction, fantasy, one horror novel needs some serious rewriting.

Am waiting till the day I start writing to find out what I an going to do for NaNo.

When I write short stores, I tend to lean towards mysteries, pyhsological thrillers and horror stories. Sometimes all 3 will overlap. I find this odd as I mostly read SF followed by horror.

I don't divide my novels into chapters until I'm through, then in editing I go back and I say "OK, this looks like a good stopping point in the overall story." Usually it's a point where the reader believes a mystery or another turn in the overall plot is revealed. Or if a certain amount of time passes and there's no need to go into detail about the time in the previous chapter and the time in the next chapter. However, in free writing if I feel like a part might potentially make a good stopping point, I will make note of it at that spot and continue on.

Also, I don't try to put in too many subplots. It's ok to have a love story between two characters as a subplot in a murder mystery, but don't let it turn into THE plot - unless you decide to make one of the lovers the killer in the murder mystery and you're willing to possibly kill off another main character towards the end where you may or may not reveal this.

Also, for a lot of the mainstream readers, most don't like characters who use profanity too often. The occasional 'damn' or 'shit' will suffice, but most don't go for the f-bombs and GDs.

You can still have a good novel without being too dry or boring without the excessive profanity and super gross goryness or overly explicit sexual tones and it can still be considered for adult audiences due to it's complexity or situations within the story.

So with all that - what type of novel do you think you will do?
There's your standard murder mystery. Horror novel, Romance novel, Crime Drama novel, Historical fiction novel, Sci-Fi novel, Contemporary Fiction novel, and plenty others.

I haven't decided what kind of novel I would like to do this time, but my last attempt was supposed to be a mystery. I try to build my characters around people I do know in real life, sometimes taking bits of my own personal life and infusing it into a couple different characters, but of course, it never follows my life or anyone elses life exactly either. Like for instance a character might not have had the best grades in school but was other wise a good student and stayed out of trouble. While another character might have an older brother, and another character might have over protective family members. It just depends on what I need for that specific character in order to carry the plot forward in an interesting way.

I'm just going to let my words fall where they may.

If you are bored your reader will be bored.

Answer?

Put somebody in serious danger -- NOW!

In one of my earliest short stories, I had a girl poison the whole school after being made fun of in public. :P

When I write short stores, I tend to lean towards mysteries, pyhsological thrillers and horror stories. Sometimes all 3 will overlap. I find this odd as I mostly read SF followed by horror.

In my reading about writing (and I've been reading about writing since I could read about anything) I have learned that a good story is a good story is a good story.

Some writers, like some musicians, will not read or listen too, the genre they are active in because they fear it may contaminate their own style.

But I think a person should read what they enjoy reading and write what they enjoy writing.

I personally am eclectic. I read everything I see and write everything and anything.

Whether I become a success or not I want to have fun playing in my sandbox.

In my reading about writing (and I've been reading about writing since I could read about anything) I have learned that a good story is a good story is a good story.

Some writers, like some musicians, will not read or listen too, the genre they are active in because they fear it may contaminate their own style.

But I think a person should read what they enjoy reading and write what they enjoy writing.

I personally am eclectic. I read everything I see and write everything and anything.

Whether I become a success or not I want to have fun playing in my sandbox.

I think that's the best way to be a writer. :D

In one of my earliest short stories, I had a girl poison the whole school after being made fun of in public. :P

A precursor to Columbine.

Have you noticed most highschool stories center around the kid who is picked on?

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton.

In Grease the danger is that the coolest dude in school is suddenly at risk of being perceived as "Not THAT cool." And his fight to become himself without risking ridicule.

Problem is if you are the only one left alive it is hard not to become a suspect.

Back