Go college for free

illustrator

Reaction score
Texas system is wonderful!

Texas resident of Hearing impaired go to college or unversity for free. Expect, we don't allow go to private college anyway.

How about you?

illustrator said:

Texas resident of Hearing impaired go to college or unversity for free. Expect, we don't allow go to private college anyway.

How about you?

Yes, that's true. But u have to live in State of Texas at least ONE YEAR or longer before eligible for free benefits for go any public college (only inside Texas).

Same idea with Free TTY and etc.., have to live in Texas for one year or longer.

intresting i have the similar siutation in california only thing is was BORN in california so i was still excempt from having to pay for my tution cuz i had the pell grant, and BOGG grant too so i basically was going to college for free the books and food had to pay for myself ofc, nothing new abt that, VR did all the paying on the books, i just bought the books brought the recipt they reimbursed me for buying the books, I also just had to make sure i had all interps paid for and etc under the BOGG and DSS so i wouldn't have to pay for that, AND i also made sure my notetaker was willing to do this as per her creditablity for future jobs if need for secretarial jobs, which helps some so basically the only thing i did was PAY for FOOD! :)

I had to pay supply and book on my own or use other department to help me but I don't want to. It could waste my time through.

What about Hawaii? I am curious about it.

illustrator said:

How about you?

Did you have to show a proof of your deafness?

tekkmortal said:
Did you have to show a proof of your deafness?

Yes, need go to audiology to take test and send the copy to deaf department to approve form.

Hmm it is too late for me. I graduated with Bachelors of Business Adminstration in 2000. Sooo, is there a free graduate programs like MBA?

tekkmortal said:
Hmm it is too late for me. I graduated with Bachelors of Business Adminstration in 2000. Sooo, is there a free graduate programs like MBA?

yes, you can - if you never did. It would be okay for once...

illustrator said:
yes, you can - if you never did. It would be okay for once...

the point is to let deaf people get fair chance in jobs... not spoiling them :)

Shit will hit the roof if I had to pay taxes to support someone to get their masters-

Cricket said:

Shit will hit the roof if I had to pay taxes to support someone to get their masters-

yeah :| I dunno if VR will pay for my masters here in Oklahoma.

Cricket said:

Texas is pretty different. There is no such a VP to pay for tution. Instead... we, hearing impaired get wavier on cost. That's it.

Vocational Rehabilitation is the easiest way to get a college education, IMO. After all, it's to the state's benefit that you get a better paying job to pay more state taxes, not to suck up their resources from SSI, SSA, or whatever.

A $10,000 investment over 5 years will earn them back probably over $100,000 in taxes in 20 to 30 years, while simultaneously avoiding you draining $4,000 a year in SSI/SSA, for the rest of your life. Good deal, no?

Meh, if only Australia had a such thing as free university *sigh*

Try Cooper Union, it's a funded (fully scholarship) private school. The majors they have at CU are art, architecture, science and engineering. I forgot if there's any more but very few. Oh and it's in NYC! :mrgreen:

Dennis said:
Vocational Rehabilitation is the easiest way to get a college education, IMO. After all, it's to the state's benefit that you get a better paying job to pay more state taxes, not to suck up their resources from SSI, SSA, or whatever.

A $10,000 investment over 5 years will earn them back probably over $100,000 in taxes in 20 to 30 years, while simultaneously avoiding you draining $4,000 a year in SSI/SSA, for the rest of your life. Good deal, no?

Why don't deaf students take VP and while work to earn up to $20k than rather use SSI/SSA? That make me so sad for deaf who don't want to work like hearing do.

I have seen lot of hearing college student have been work so hard on a job or two while go to college as full-time student. I am one of them.

Isn't this hypocritical of you, Illustrator?
You mentioned that it was stupid for deaf to not pay for online long distance relay service, and called us moochers.
Now, you are praising Texas educational system and thinking it is awesome that Deaf people go to school for free?

I don't think you or illustrator know enough about the relay services to make a comparism or call out on hypocrisy. However, I do know a lot about relay services and a lot about VR, so here's my take:

1) Internet-based relay services are free. Why? I await illustrator's comments from talking with the OTRS manager. Increases communications access, possibly increasing the economy by having the deaf person being able to conduct business over phone. Need more details, I know a lot more about traditional telephone-based relay services.

2) VR: free college\job training. GOOD for the economy. Why? The deaf, disabled, retarded, whatever person, can get JOB TRAINING or CAREER EDUCATION. They go out and then PAY TAXES to the government, have money to SPEND on goods and food, and stay OFF SSI/SSA/unemployment/whatever. Less mooching, more contributing, all good, RIGHT?

deafie_cat: Is it only for the profoundly deaf? Heck no, there's a large range of requirements in order to qualify for certain benefits, varies by state, so you should call or visit your state Vocational Rehabilitation office for an appointment and discuss what they can do for you.

kuifje75 said:
Isn't this hypocritical of you, Illustrator?
You mentioned that it was stupid for deaf to not pay for online long distance relay service, and called us moochers.
Now, you are praising Texas educational system and thinking it is awesome that Deaf people go to school for free?

did I mention I worked as full-time while being full-time student? :cool:

If you're on Disabilty, then you automaticly get free tution at state schools!!! I'm attending my school FOR FREE...and I might continue my education b/c I want to be a professor of women's studies.(or maybe disabilty studies) I think the free deal thingy is GREAT....I mean this way we don't get saddled with additional debt, the way hearing kids do when they graduate b/c they have to pay off their college loans (and before anyone objects to that, we dhh earn 30% less then hearing people!)

Back