Gluten Free diet

And oh, it was my first time to see a couple of gluten free pizza places in my town earlier this year.

It really sucks that not everything in the food aisles are gluten free and wheat free. I cannot live without wheat....ugh. I found only one aisle that are some wheat free and gluten free. Blah.

I dont even care anymore. I just eat veggies, fruits, nuts, and meat. I dont even miss the bread, pasta, rice, grains at all

It's not the end of the world, katz4life. There are many ways to make your meals delicious without wheat. I don't consume wheat (pasta and bread) nor don't I even bake gluten free breads and eat gluten free breads! I don't drink pasteurized milk. There are plenty of dead enzymes in pasteurized milks. :P

If you are allergic to milk protein or casein, then you can substitute it for coconut milk or almond milk. I don't recommend Almond Breeze since it is added with bad ingredients to make almond milk last longer. Making homemade almond milk is easy and affordable. I always sprout them first before making them. It can last a week in fridge.

Most fruits and vegetables contain few enzymes. Grains, nuts, legumes and seeds are rich in enzymes, but they contain enzyme inhibitors. Those enzyme inhibitors can put great strain on the digestive system. There are several traditional processes that deactivate enzyme inhibtors, so the nutrients are available. Some nutrients are made more available through cooking. It is one of the reasons I try to avoid purchasing canned legumes, vegetables and fruits. I can make whey with live cultures, and with that, I can lacto-ferment black bean, homemade mayos, etc. However, whey is not for everyone who is allergic to milk protein. You can use kefir instead. Kefir is where you can make water kefir or coconut kefir. There is a company called Lifeway make milk kefir that is 99% free casein and 99% free lactose. There are several people who are intolerant lactose can drink it. Kefir contains more good bacterias than greek yogurt. Kefir is available at Cultures for Health: Yogurt Starter, Sourdough Starter, Kombucha, Kefir Grains, Cheese Making and more | Supplies for a Real Food Lifestyle.

As for pastured eggs, if you can afford them, and I suggest you purchase them locally. Pastured eggs contain more omega-3 than supermarket eggs. I read the study from '94 that indicates supermarket eggs (the grain diet of chicken) contain omega-6 as much as nineteen times more than pastured eggs (the grass/insects diet of chicken). If you don't know where local farms sell pastured eggs, you can look up Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Enjoy it. Saludos.

Personally, I don't recommend drinking any soy milk at all. Soy processing is bad. What I have learned about the history of soy beans is that ancient Chinese texts mentioned that soy bean was originally cultivated for its nitrogen-fixing qualities and not as a food source. Soy beans are high in phytic acids. Phytic acid means block the body’s absorption of minerals like calcium, iron, etc. Yeah, those soy beans contain those enzymes inhibitors.

The ancient Chineses had learned to ferment soy beans to make them edible. Fermented cooked beans make soy sauce, miso, natto, and tempeh removes not only enzyme inhibitors but phytates as well. During the process of precipitation- to make tofu and bean curds removes a portion of the enzyme inhibitors but only small amounts of the phytates.

Processed soy and unfermented soy- have phyto-estrogens, which are chemicals that mimic estrogen in your body. Your hormone balance will go berserk if you continue consuming soy. Those are all kinds of problems- thyroid dysfunction, blood clots, chronic fatigue, etc. If your thyroid is destabilized, you must not consume soy ever.

If you plan to eat miso, natto, or tempeh, be sure to ask them if they were traditionally fermented.

I read somewhere Buddhist monks used to eat soy to lower theirs libidos, so they don't enjoy pleasure. Don't know if that is true or not.

Personally, I don't recommend drinking any soy milk at all. Soy processing is bad. What I have learned about the history of soy beans is that ancient Chinese texts mentioned that soy bean was originally cultivated for its nitrogen-fixing qualities and not as a food source. Soy beans are high in phytic acids. Phytic acid means block the body’s absorption of minerals like calcium, iron, etc. Yeah, those soy beans contain those enzymes inhibitors.

This just goes to show that you learn something new everyday. I had no idea soy milk wasn't as good as it's cracked up to be. I love soy milk and do drink from time to time the brand silk.

Interesting....:)

I have been Gluten free or very low gluten since 2000. Fortunately I can tolerate trace or minuscule amounts of gluten, which makes things easier, but I avoid as much as I can because it makes me sick if I eat too much of it. I find I really do not like doing the whole "substitute" thing, doing substitutes is expensive, difficult to find and usually doesn't taste good enough to be worth it. The easiest way for me to deal with being low gluten or gluten free is to just do a low carb diet. If I am craving carbs sometimes I will eat rice and it helps.

Spaghetti was the hardest thing for me to give up. I tried various rice and corn pastas and they were never good, simply pouring spaghetti sauce over rice didn't do it for me either. Then a couple of months ago I tried yet another gluten free brand of pasta and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is very close to real pasta and very palatable and worked well with sauces. The brand name is "Heartland", it's available at Walmart of all places, and it comes in a tan and light blue package. This has made being gluten free SO much easier and I will recommend this pasta to anyone who is just beginning the gluten free journey, because it will make life a lot easier for them while they adjust to so many new restrictions.

what about milk made from soy beans, like Silk? I don't drink milk at all.

I suggest staying away from soybean products. Soybean oil thats in a lot of salad dressing, causes inflammation. Which makes you feel achy and stiff.

Ive a connective tissue issue and I really notice it.

wow....if not soymilk at all...then what to drink for breakfast to replace milk??!?

One product that is great if you miss cookies and pastry is Annie's Gluten Free bunnies.

They come in Snickerdoodle, Ginger Snap, Chocolate and Vanilla Graham. They can be ordered on Amazon. I think they are really a great snack.

what do you like about the Silk vs. the Almond Breeze almond milk?

:ty:for the link, too

I tried Original Almond Breeze around 5-6 years ago. At first, it tasted watery, and almond taste but it took a while to get used to it. Almond Breeze Vanilla has a very strong sweet taste than Silk Vanilla.

I usually use cocoa powder to mix it with, and it tastes wonderful. I would prefer Silk over Almond Breeze if I mix cocoa powder with. Almond Breeze is more creamier than Silk Almond.

Unsweetened Almond Breeze tastes oddly, and it is nothing compared to homemade almond milk. Sometimes, I want to make homemade almond sweet, so I usually add around 4 dates or vanilla extract, or vanilla beans to make it tasty. I have to say Silk Almond is almost similar to homemade almond milk. I vote for Silk for tasty reasons.

While I was on diet, I did not drink almond breeze at the time, and I felt fine. I then re-introduced Almond Breeze, and my upper intestines felt cramp suddenly. That's when I decided to make homemade almond ever since. Oh, well.

oh :ty: Barbaro for explaining, makes me want to try Silk Vanilla Almond again and also try adding some dates or vanilla beans to an un-sweetened variety.
:)

UPDATE! My stomach woes have ended for now oddly enough. I have not changed my diet to gluten free I wanted to see if it'd clear up and so far I'm doing ok for now but do have stomach cramps from time to time but no bathroom issues so far like before. I'm holding off on the G.I appointment until I start having issues again. I'm still losing weight though but I'm not complaining. I'm down to 141lbs from 158lbs at 5'6 but have lost it in a span of two months. That doesn't seem too drastic I don't think or is it? I used to weigh 124 before I married so I'm happy to lose the weight.

Thought I'd update the good news-I'm having doubts now if it's celiacs. I have no clue what is going on now.

Stress maybe? I have been awfully hyper as of late and unable to sleep too. Not sure if the two are related but I seem to be in a manic stage of the bi-polar thing although I'm not bi-polar. I don't think...LOL.

Back