Given the chance to choose between hearing and Deaf who would choose to remain Deaf?

little16

Reaction score
Writing a paper about the cochlear implant and I need statistics to prove that the majority of people would choose to remain Deaf. So if you're willing to help me by answering my question, I can create a statistic from the responses. Thanks.

I am Deaf. No ones drilling holes into my head....
I lead a full meaningfull life as Deaf.
Sign is the superior technology tto ci. It solves the plm.of communication better, safer, cheaper. no wires attached, no multi national profit driven companies, nor insurence companies need.
Sign will.....(refer to my sig)
Nutshell.....
I want to strees. you can be Deaf with a ci. the way i see it...its about sign and our culture. if you Deaf you sign, if you dont, your deaf with a ci who speaks...you also can be bicultiral, sign and speak..

Let me modify your question a bit and answer, If I had to choose between oral/CI only vs remain Deaf and ASL only, which would I choose?
Don't even have to think about it. Stay Deaf and ASL.....
Fortunately I don't have to make that choice and can transition between both worlds as I please.

There is no way you can compile accurate statistics from an anonymous forum like this. You have no idea who is actually responding, or if they are really deaf.

There is no way you can compile accurate statistics from an anonymous forum like this. You have no idea who is actually responding, or if they are really deaf.

Very good point...but i assumed its jusy a high school papper or something...
Mmm

CI requires a lot of speech therapy that I don't have time for. I would choose to remain Deaf and use ASL for communication.

Not a CI user myself, but I have HAs and I prefer that with ASL (been fluent since I was a baby).

I also was subjected to 15 years of speech therapy so I actually speak very decently, yet I still prefer to be Deaf.

It is not a good idea to start a WAR here between those people here. good luck MODERATORS!!!!

It is not a good idea to start a WAR here between those people here. good luck MODERATORS!!!!

I agree. We've seen so many threads locked over this. I think it is just some silly research paper. I gave my input and that's about all I need to do.

As for me, I would rather be Deaf and sign ASL.

CI is just a tool like the hearing aid. Hearing people think that it is a miracle for listening and hoping that CI children and adult can speak like hearing people. Not true. Far from it. :(

Writing a paper about the cochlear implant and I need statistics to prove that the majority of people would choose to remain Deaf. So if you're willing to help me by answering my
question, I can create a statistic from the responses. Thanks.

You can still be Deaf with the CI. It doesn't make you hearing.

Using a Cochlear Implant doesn't alter the fact that one REMAINS DEAF. Easy to test-disconnect the implant-very quiet/silence.

Aside: Have used a Cochlear Implant almost 8 years. Still bilateral DEAF.

Whether those persons using Cochlear Implants want to learn/use ASL et al is a different matter which is contingent on individual choice in their personal circumstances.

Little16- you can review some threads: Cochlear Implants/Hearing aids/ASL/our culture etc which suggests a variety of opinions.

Good luck in writing your paper.

You can still be Deaf with the CI. It doesn't make you hearing.
That is what I was getting at. There is no current technology that can make a Deaf person hearing. So asking a person to choose between a CI and oral language only vs No CI and visual language only makes it a bit more realistic of a question.

Using a Cochlear Implant doesn't alter the fact that one REMAINS DEAF. Easy to test-disconnect the implant-very quiet/silence.

Whether those persons using Cochlear Implants want to learn/use ASL et al is a different matter which is contingent on individual choice in their personal circumstances.

Little16- you can review some threads: Cochlear Implants/Hearing aids/ASL/our culture etc which suggests a variety of opinions.

Let's all congratulate DrPhil. He wrote an entire post without using a single quotation mark![emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji6] [emoji75] [emoji197]

Let's all congratulate DrPhil. He wrote an entire post without using a single quotation mark![emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji6] [emoji75] [emoji197]

Ok. I did. It was actually a very sensible post and also kind to the child who wants to survey us.

And I would remain deaf because it is what I am used to.

I was born hearing, had juvi.otosclerosis. I got my first CIC at age22. I'm now severe/profound deaf at age 41. I have BTE ultra power Phonaks at the highest level of volume in calm setting to kinda hear. I don't know anyone deaf or with a CI. I'd definitely get CI's in the near future. My ENT that performed double stapedectomies on me as a teen has advised me to wait longer to see what technology has to offer down the road. I have good speech still. I'dlove to be able to "hear" again, but also want to learn ASL.

Yeah I use a hearing aid to hear and that does not mean I no longer have a
severe-to-profound hearing lost. And I would rather been born hearing than
hoh . And I don't want a CI implant at my age , I don't think I could get use to hearing new sounds at this point in my life.

Writing a paper about the cochlear implant and I need statistics to prove that the majority of people would choose to remain Deaf. So if you're willing to help me by answering my question, I can create a statistic from the responses. Thanks.

As I have been told(not my opinion), today, assistive devices do not preclude a person from being Deaf. Apparently, there are many people, including people on this form, who use assitive technology and are, "Deaf".

So, I'm not sure your statistics will be an accurate indication of a choice. The better question might be whether, given a cure, would Deaf choose the cure over their culture. Or, given a choice of implant or not would a person choose that option, many "deaf" as opposed to "Deaf" have that choice as well.

Back