Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.
Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.

The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.

She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.

Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.

I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock

Jasmine Willis

She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.

"My nerves were all over the place.

"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.

"I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.

"I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."

The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.

Her father Gary, who runs The Sandwich Bar in Stanley, said: "She did not realise she was drinking double measures.

"I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Wear | Girl overdoses on espresso coffee

:jaw: My hubby & I drank 3 to 4 cup of espresso a day after big meal during weekends, public holidays and holidays.... :eek3:

Well, in moderation, it's fine to drink espressos.. but 7 double shots is way too much. especially in 1 day.

"Espresso contains approximately twice the caffeine content per volume as regular brewed coffee, at approximately 40 milligrams per fluid ounce, but only about 1/3 the content per serving."
(quoted is taken from Espresso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So basically, this girl was drinking 2 cups of coffee per double shot.. 1 single shot of espresso is equal to a cup of coffee, with double the caffine. So i'm not surprised she got sick.

People forget that caffeine is a drug.

What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is known medically as trimethylxanthine, and the chemical formula is C8H10N4O2 (see Erowid: Caffeine Chemistry for an image of the molecular structure). When isolated in pure form, caffeine is a white crystalline powder that tastes very bitter. The chief source of pure caffeine is the process of decaffeinating coffee and tea.

Medically, caffeine is useful as a cardiac stimulant and also as a mild diuretic (it increases urine production). Recreationally, it is used to provide a "boost of energy" or a feeling of heightened alertness. It's often used to stay awake longer -- college students and drivers use it to stay awake late into the night. Many people feel as though they "cannot function" in the morning without a cup of coffee to provide caffeine and the boost it gives them.

Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine, and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels, and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities. If you feel like you cannot function without it and must consume it every day, then you are addicted to caffeine.
Howstuffworks "How Caffeine Works"

I am glad I don't drink caffeine coffee like espresso. I used to drink espresso and realized that my heart was beatin' too fast. I only drank 1 cup of espresso. But, now not anymore - because of the heart. Gee - only decaffeine will do just fine.

I am aware that caffeine is a drug. It's not good for me.

People forget that caffeine is a drug.

If caffeine is drug then need be ban for kids to buy Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, Vault or other food with caffeine, it don't happen here, evenno laws for caffeine.

I drank ALOT of Pepsi, when work overnight on 5 days everyday because I don't like coffee or espresso.

If caffeine is drug then need be ban for kids to buy Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, Vault or other food with caffeine, it don't happen here, evenno laws for caffeine.

I drank ALOT of Pepsi, when work overnight on 5 days everyday because I don't like coffee or espresso.

Good Point

I am glad I don't drink caffeine coffee like espresso. I used to drink espresso and realized that my heart was beatin' too fast. I only drank 1 cup of espresso. But, now not anymore - because of the heart. Gee - only decaffeine will do just fine.

I am aware that caffeine is a drug. It's not good for me.

I drank 2 cup of decaffeine coffee daily but I drank 3 to 4 small cup of espresso (I know it´s much high caffeine than coffee) in most weekends, public holidays and holidays... I can´t live without espresso... What a :crazy: :lol:

I drank herbal teas a lot...

Kinda Makes me glad i'm allergic to caffiene it causes me to get really bad migraines and get really sick. She's really lucky it was only 7 shots imagine if she had had more.

Wow... that is ALOTS... i cant believe she drank all of that? I have drank espressos before.. they tasted STRONGER AND HORRIBLE! not my style, though..

I prefer to drink regular coffee but if need one faster which would be Mountain Dew as it contain caffeine especially in summer time when its hot? I drank that! :)

I agree with Pacman- it is not good to buy colas and give them to the kids. It is ok to buy a cola once in a while.. but every day? No too much for them as it can make them hyperactive. colas also have additives too not just caffeine along with juice drinks as it have additives like red dye and etc. They are known to make kids hyperactive. thats why i frown on them as its not good for kids. jeez at our government for letting this happen. sigh!

and now they're making pop that has more caffinee such as mt dew AMP, and many other energy drink.. now there's a new one NOS which contains huge amount of caffinee in just one drink.. for like 20 oz... i'll have to go to my workplace and take a look how many mg of caffine NOS have.. i looked before and was shocked about the huge amount of caffine nos have. (blue bottle with orange cap)

and now they're making pop that has more caffinee such as mt dew AMP, and many other energy drink.. now there's a new one NOS which contains huge amount of caffinee in just one drink.. for like 20 oz... i'll have to go to my workplace and take a look how many mg of caffine NOS have.. i looked before and was shocked about the huge amount of caffine nos have. (blue bottle with orange cap)

Sobe and AMP is too much for me, I did drank it and make me feel so nausea then I stopped to drank any energy soda anymore.

I can believe it. My dr recently told me that I need to seriously reduce my caffinee intake cuz of my palpitations starting up again. I am trying...but when I reduce it, I get headaches and feel so tired. I just carry a bottle of water with me all the time to keep my mind off of pop.

I cant believe some companies are loading some soft drinks with caffinee. *sighs*

LOL! Just about 5 secs ago, my hubby yelled at me for drinking my 3rd soda for the day. I told him okokokok!!!! I will buy ginger ale. Is that better, right?

He is mad at me now. I better go and bat my eyes at him. I am soooo weak!!!

A small cup of Expresso coffee is way too strong for me!!

I drank Dutch's Moccona instant coffee, and at resturants/cafe I drank Latte
Coffee.

a NOS drink alone 22 oz bottle.. contains 343mg of caffinee.. that's freakin alot.

i can't believe companies do this.. if u havn't drink caffinee for some periods of time and u usually drink caffinee it will cause ur headache.. cuz its a part of withdrawl. just like people smoking cig. gets so aniouxious.

LOL! Just about 5 secs ago, my hubby yelled at me for drinking my 3rd soda for the day. I told him okokokok!!!! I will buy ginger ale. Is that better, right?

He is mad at me now. I better go and bat my eyes at him. I am soooo weak!!!

Go ahead and use those feminine wiles! That's what you've got them for!:cool:

:lol: I become addicted to espresso since 5 weeks Spa resort last year. I tried espresso out of curiously by my friends, I met at Spa... I influenced my hubby... He also addicted espresso, too... :giggle: We drank 3 to 4 cup of espresso a day at most weekends, public holidays and holiday after big meal...

Back