Girl charged with crime for wetting pants at school!!!

Since the charges were dropped, It is reasonable to only to know that the superintendent took it up in his actions to be able to get into the bigger picture to understand both sides and to find a way to resolve these situation.

If it was intentional, I still think the police should have not been brought into this but like you said, they (the school) wouldn't do that unless it was a last resort after repetitively encountering that same issue from time to time. Don't they have guidance counselor or some kind of counseling that is offered at the school for that? With that, when it is intentional, you know that there is something wrong and it might be something that happened at home or anywhere else. We don't know what happens behind the closed doors.

I do realize that it is very challenging teaching a child with special needs whether it's about a simple task or a challenging task. Some task might get the children to be overwhelmingly frustrated. Sometime they have a hard time controlling their emotions, which leads to some actions or behavior that they can't have any control over. Like us, we might be able to control our anger or our tantrum but for them, they might know how to express it or don't express it but there's one thing I do know, they sometime act without being able to *think* ahead a step or two.

To answer your question about the math part - If my child was refusing to do math, I would be disappointed, yes but at the same time I would want to know why my child is refusing to do math. Is it because math is too hard on him or he easily gets overwhelmed by that and frustrations sets in? The point is, sometime frustrations gets the best of them and you can say they act out when they think it is OK to do so. Sometime we have to teach them what's right and what's wrong.

:gpost: !! I agree with everything Jolie_77 stated in this entire thread. Well said there Jolie! I couldn't agree with you more. ;)

Since the charges were dropped, It is reasonable to only to know that the superintendent took it up in his actions to be able to get into the bigger picture to understand both sides and to find a way to resolve these situation.

If it was intentional, I still think the police should have not been brought into this but like you said, they (the school) wouldn't do that unless it was a last resort after repetitively encountering that same issue from time to time. Don't they have guidance counselor or some kind of counseling that is offered at the school for that? With that, when it is intentional, you know that there is something wrong and it might be something that happened at home or anywhere else. We don't know what happens behind the closed doors.

I do realize that it is very challenging teaching a child with special needs whether it's about a simple task or a challenging task. Some task might get the children to be overwhelmingly frustrated. Sometime they have a hard time controlling their emotions, which leads to some actions or behavior that they can't have any control over. Like us, we might be able to control our anger or our tantrum but for them, they might know how to express it or don't express it but there's one thing I do know, they sometime act without being able to *think* ahead a step or two.

To answer your question about the math part - If my child was refusing to do math, I would be disappointed, yes but at the same time I would want to know why my child is refusing to do math. Is it because math is too hard on him or he easily gets overwhelmed by that and frustrations sets in? The point is, sometime frustrations gets the best of them and you can say they act out when they think it is OK to do so. Sometime we have to teach them what's right and what's wrong.

I would have to agree with Jolie.

Yes, I'm with Jolie_77

Jolie_77's word hit my head so hard over "Don't they have guidance counselor or some kind of counseling that is offered at the school for that?" I forget to mention school counselor in my last post... Yes, if the teachers realized that their students need the help then help them, not treat them as crime.

I dont think so this person is special education. the principal is ACTUAL special educated him/herself.. Because the principal is completely incapable to make deal with child's issues... ;)

if the principal felt blamed this little child.. should not blame any kids at all... just put the blame child's parents whats their responsible to teach this child...

Parent might be spoil their child so much..

In previously, I was used to work with clients who are special educations.. one client of them I was used to work with.. her parents was so spoiled on their daughter, lack of disclipne and communcations, others.. their daughter is very genius, but has worst problems and anger issues.. I ain't blame the client.. i just feeling the right to blame her parents rise the way she is.. I miss and admire her, she is best client one of them I worked with..

seems adults dont seem to show any respect to the kids anymore...

"Don't they have guidance counselor or some kind of counseling that is offered at the school for that?"
This is a joke, right? Most school counselors that I have worked with, wouldn't go near a special ed situation with a 10-ft pole. Furthermore, if this were a disciplinary issue, which is seems to be, then the principal is the one a teacher should contact, not the school guidance counselor.

Steel X said:
seems adults dont seem to show any respect to the kids anymore...
And just how many kids do you see showing respect to adults these days?

This is a joke, right? Most school counselors that I have worked with, wouldn't go near a special ed situation with a 10-ft pole. Furthermore, if this were a disciplinary issue, which is seems to be, then the principal is the one a teacher should contact, not the school guidance counselor.

You must be joking? I can't believe I'm actually hearing this because for one thing is there was a special need child in my son's pre-school classroom a couple of years ago and he does see the counselor once in a while, how do I know that? because I was there helping my son's preschool classroom as a class parent..school counselors have special training in how to help children solve problems, make decisions, even stand up for themselves against bullies or problems at home etc and they do try to help handle situations or problems by making things better on both sides..school counselor should be available for ALL students because that's their job to take the children's problem seriously and help them find a solution...They can't just refused to help a child just because the child is in special education or is metal retarded or any other problems the child may have...

At my children's schools these counselors helped students handle almost any problem that could get in the way of learning, guide them to productive futures, and try to create a positive environment for EVERYONE at school... I'm so speechless to the point where I can't actually believe that some counselors will refused to help a special ed child, that's sad in my own opinion...If I hear this happening in any of my children's school believe me Ill be throwing a fist about this....Every student should be treat fairly and that apply to all the special education children as well too period...

btw very good post there Jolie_77!!

Oh jeez, I wouldn't want to put my kids in this crazy school and wouldn't want let those crazier teachers near my kids as well too! I hope that her mother would find a way to sue the school! She has the rights to sue them for trying to damage the 12yrs old girl's life! I know she will remember what happend for her life and she will find a way to revenge back to them later on.

^Angel^ said:
You must be joking? I can't believe I'm actually hearing this because for one thing is there was a special need child in my son's pre-school classroom a couple of years ago and he does see the counselor once in a while, how do I know that? because I was there helping my son's preschool classroom as a class parent..school counselors have special training in how to help children solve problems, make decisions, even stand up for themselves against bullies or problems at home etc and they do try to help handle situations or problems by making things better on both sides..school counselor should be available for ALL students because that's their job to take the children's problem seriously and help them find a solution...They can't just refused to help a child just because the child is in special education or is metal retarded or any other problems the child may have...
School counselors are trained to deal with the normal issues surrounding childhood, not necessarily the special issues revolving special needs children, such as wetting pants as a form of rebellion.

^Angel^ said:
At my children's schools these counselors helped students handle almost any problem that could get in the way of learning, guide them to productive futures, and try to create a positive environment for EVERYONE at school... I'm so speechless to the point where I can't actually believe that some counselors will refused to help a special ed child, that's sad in my own opinion...If I hear this happening in any of my children's school believe me Ill be throwing a fist about this....Every student should be treat fairly and that apply to all the special education children as well too period...
I agree that the school should be a positive environment for EVERYONE, but we seriously DON’T KNOW if this child has received any special counseling for these issues or not. I doubt the school counselor would know how to deal with this child’s needs effectively, therefore the school would probably need to bring in a counselor who has experience dealing with special needs children. For all we know, the school may have done such and the media just failed to report it. As I said before, it sounds like the school was at the end of their wits. I am sure they had tried other methods before resorting to calling the police. In fact, they may have called the police simply trying to scare the child into behaving, and once you have made a threat, you have to follow through, otherwise all future threats are void of meaning.

SpaceyUFO said:
Oh jeez, I wouldn't want to put my kids in this crazy school and wouldn't want let those crazier teachers near my kids as well too! I hope that her mother would find a way to sue the school! She has the rights to sue them for trying to damage the 12yrs old girl's life! I know she will remember what happend for her life and she will find a way to revenge back to them later on.
If only schools could sue parents for not properly raising and disciplining their children…Of course, the courts would never allow that to happen because they would be overwhelmed and never get through the docket in a million years.

Maybe if the parents were more involved in the child’s education and discipline, the schools wouldn’t have felt the need to resort to such lengths.

If only schools could sue parents for not properly raising and disciplining their children…Of course, the courts would never allow that to happen because they would be overwhelmed and never get through the docket in a million years.

Why is that? The schools are suppose to teach our children, not disciplining them in a way you may think they should...For all I know, some children may have problems with other students or something going on at home, I mean we don't know what cause a child to behave in a manner that is unacceptable, the only way to find out why is to talk to the child and find out what is going on or what's bothering them....if the child is unable to open up and then ya know you have a problem there....What are they gonna to do? call the cops? I mean come on, let's be serious here, if the school is equipped to handle these problems then they should deal with it appropriately!!!....Second, I still don't quite understand why IS the 12 years old child was told to wash the pans and pots at school ?? since when do students are forced to watch pans and pots?? what wrong with the kitchen staff are they on a cig break or what? If I ever find out that one of my children are washing pans and pots at school believe me they won't hear the last of me until I get all the answers of why!!

It seems to me that this school has absolutely NO patiences whatsoever....

^Angel^ said:
Why is that? The schools are suppose to teach our children, not disciplining them in a way you may think they should...
First of all, you do not know how I think they should discipline children. I have already stated that I don’t feel getting the cops involved was an appropriate solution. I just think that there is more to the story than we have been told. Furthermore, discipline is necessary for any environment to run smoothly, especially a school. We all have certain rules/laws we must obey, otherwise there are consequences for our actions. Have you ever received a speeding ticket? If not, it is because you have chosen to obey the rules of our society.
^Angel^ said:
For all I know, some children may have problems with other students or something going on at home, I mean we don't know what cause a child to behave in a manner that is unacceptable, the only way to find out why is to talk to the child and find out what is going on or what's bothering them....if the child is unable to open up and then ya know you have a problem there....What are they gonna to do? call the cops?
Exactly, WE DON’T KNOW!
^Angel^ said:
I mean come on, let's be serious here, if the school is equipped to handle these problems then they should deal with it appropriately!!!....
That’s a mighty big IF.
^Angel^ said:
Second, I still don't quite understand why IS the 12 years old child was told to wash the pans and pots at school ?? since when do students are forced to watch pans and pots?? what wrong with the kitchen staff are they on a cig break or what? If I ever find out that one of my children are washing pans and pots at school believe me they won't hear the last of me until I get all the answers of why!!
I have already answered this…
Eve said:
All children are capable of learning, but you can't have the same expectations for all children. We have no idea what this girls mental capabilities are. Maybe self-help skills are a part of her IEP. When I taught special ed. I had students who had to be taught to wash their hands, tie their shoes, make a sandwich, and yes washing up after a meal is a vital skill to acquire. For some children, completing such a task would be quite an accomplishment, not to be underappreciated simply because students in another classroom may be doing multiplication.

^Angel^ said:
It seems to me that this school has absolutely NO patiences whatsoever....
That is because this is what the media WANTS you to believe. Until we are in the position of these school officials, we have no idea what they have tried previously. We have no idea how much of their patience has been tried with this child over time. We have no idea how we would have handled the situation if we were in their position. Hind sight is always 20/20 and the school superintendent has already acknowledged that bringing in law enforcement was not the best solution.

True but you have to remember that not all schools are alike and how those speical education children were taught to do, etc....For all we know, they may not like this 12 years old child for some reason, I mean how do we really know that this child pee her pants on purpose just to make the teacher angry?....If I had a problem with my child I do not call the police, I deal with it myself, why didn't the school do that in the first place?

Whether or not the media may not given us the full story of what really happened that day, but really it doesn't make it any better how the school handle this situation in the first place...Thats my whole point, I'm just tired of the school going a bit overboard on some situations where it was not neccessary for them to bring the police into this that's all....

^Angel^ said:
True but you have to remember that not all schools are alike and how those speical education children were taught to do, etc....For all we know, they may not like this 12 years old child for some reason, I mean how do we really know that this child pee her pants on purpose just to make the teacher angry?....
As I keep repeating, WE DON’T KNOW. That is why it is so important for us not to jump to conclusions based solely on what the media chooses to present to us.

^Angel^ said:
If I had a problem with my child I do not call the police, I deal with it myself, why didn't the school do that in the first place?
I think the school has figured out that this was not the best course of action to take, but I still do not believe that this was a one time issue with this child. I just can’t imagine this escalating so abruptly.

^Angel^ said:
Whether or not the media may not given us the full story of what really happened that day, but really it doesn't make it any better how the school handle this situation in the first place...Thats my whole point, I'm just tired of the school going a bit overboard on some situations where it was not neccessary for them to bring the police into this that's all....
I agree that what the school did was not the best thing to do, but we are all humans and we all make mistakes and we all get frustrated when there seems to be no viable solutions available to us. So many times the media tells of how schools have mistreated individual students, but how often do we see how often school personnel are mistreated by students and have no recourse?

When Jo told me abt that. iwas like this WTF?!?!?!? i wld blew a fuse if they do to my special needs son and do something about it

Back