Girl charged with crime for wetting pants at school!!!

I have to assume there is more to this story than the media is presenting us with.

*shake my head sigh*

Let to see what Principal Kevin Duckworth says first....then...

WTF !!!!! :eek3:

Too many schools these days are going too far. I sure hope her parents sue the hell out of that school and many very important heads are rolling. That girl can't help it. It is not her fault. I am sure she has feelings and that she was embarrassed because she knew it meant something bad and that she was trying her best. That is all you can ask is for her best, if she can't then that is okay the teacher can help her with that, just clean up and put on a new pair of pants. Let's leave it at that and I really hope they sue the hell out of the school and win !!!!!

Heath said:
Too many schools these days are going too far.
As do too many kids and parents go too far these days.

Heath said:
That girl can't help it. It is not her fault. I am sure she has feelings and that she was embarrassed because she knew it meant something bad and that she was trying her best.
How do you know what this girl is capable of or what she was feelinging/thinking at the time?

Heath said:
That is all you can ask is for her best, if she can't then that is okay
Actually, she wasn't giving her best, she was refusing to take part in an activity at school. The principal was only brought in because of her refusal to participate.

Just because a child is in "special education" does not mean that they are completely incapable. Some of them are downright manipulative and not to be underestimated.

As do too many kids and parents go too far these days.

How do you know what this girl is capable of or what she was feelinging/thinking at the time?

Actually, she wasn't giving her best, she was refusing to take part in an activity at school. The principal was only brought in because of her refusal to participate.

Just because a child is in "special education" does not mean that they are completely incapable. Some of them are downright manipulative and not to be underestimated.

Well, The article didn't explain how severe disability the girl has. I feel that she is mentally challanged and she is a human. Maybe something is up with the mean principal! I feel for her. If I were mom, I would confront the principal about that.

The 12 years old girl was charge for wetting her pants? is this some kind of sick joke or what??....sheesh...

Oh well, Eve I don't know too much about special education kids but This much I do know, there is no law against peeing your pants in school. I am sure from time to time, in kindergarten the kids have done that while they took their afternoon naps bedwetting so why should it be any different for a special ed. kid peeing their pants. Maybe there is more to this story than is being told. Maybe the police have not found out yet the real reason why she is peeing her pants as a form of self defense against the prinicpal sexually abusing her, for all we know. If I was the police, I would explore that possiblity just to be on the safe side and why would anybody charge a special ed. kid with the crime of peeing her pants. Even if I was a police officer, I would not charge her with that and slam the prinicipal for wasting my time and also that just something is not right with this picture. There is no law against peeing your pants as far as I am concerned. There must be something more to this story than is being told.

Dino65 said:
Well, The article didn't explain how severe disability the girl has. I feel that she is mentally challanged and she is a human.
That’s the problem, the media only reports what it wants to…just enough to get us all incensed. What you feel is what the media wants you to feel. If they gave you the full story, you may not feel the same outrage. The more intense your feelings, the more likely you are to come back and read more. That is their job.

Heath said:
I am sure from time to time, in kindergarten the kids have done that while they took their afternoon naps bedwetting so why should it be any different for a special ed.
Because we don’t know what her motive was. When a kindergarten child wets themselves during nap time, they have no control over their bodily functions. WE DO NOT KNOW that this is the case in this instance.

Heath said:
Maybe the police have not found out yet the real reason why she is peeing her pants as a form of self defense against the prinicpal sexually abusing her, for all we know.
Or maybe it could be that this is her way of expressing rebellion. WE DON’T KNOW and we should stop jumping to conclusions.

WTF... children do get in troubles in the innocent ways... No need to have them chatged and be judged... :eek3:

The charges were dropped: Charge Dropped After Girl Wets Pants At School - Education

TFA said:
Charge Dropped After Girl Wets Pants At School
Mom Says Special Education Student Was Scared

DANVILLE, Pa. -- Authorities in Danville, Pa., have decided to drop a disorderly conduct charge against a 12-year-old special education student who they accused of deliberately wetting her pants at school.

A school superintendent now says that it was a mistake to bring police into a case of school discipline.

The girl's mother said the student urinated only because the principal frightened her.

The girl was told to go to the kitchen to wash some pots and pans, but refused, and wet her pants after teachers summoned the principal.

my son wet his pants or crapped in it sometimes.. he cant help it.. he have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) and developement delay.. we all tried to help him learn to hold his pee .. and make sure he go to bathroom before we go anywhere on the trip.. yes i have to tell him to go.. or he wont go and he will wet his pants.. its weird cuz hes smart in school works etc but hes slow on other things..

so im sure the girl who is mentally challeneged got scared.. i can see her being scared and not know wwhat to do? maybe princiapl ordered her to? she freaked out? u cant force them to do what they want u to do ..

like tj.. many times i told tj to pick toys up or whatever.. he will say i am tired.. meaning his mind is working over time with too many sounds same time.. he cant fight it mean he give up on that.. so i have to turn all sounds off and lights off and give tj a cool down period then he would feel refreshed to pick his toys up.. it works.. whew..

i am glad they dropped the charges against the girl.. i hope they will apologized to the girl in public cuz they had no right to charge her for that. sheesh!!!!

I taught special ed for several years and I once had a student who found it funny to pee in her pants just to piss the teachers off. She was quite capable of toileting, but preferred to take her revenge by causing us to go through the problem of getting her a change of clothes and helping clean her up, when she should have been spending her time learning more valuable life lessons than how to tick off your teachers.
If this girl were truly incapable of controlling her bodily functions, then that is one thing, but somehow I doubt that is the case. This is why I say we don't know what this child's motives were.

To pee by not being able to control it and to pee when you can function are two different things. However, the media nowdays are so skewed. It's like they will say one thing and say the other thing the next time.

I just think that it was kind of going a bit far by charging the girl for that and since it was mentioned in the newspaper article that the girl refused to wash the dishes after her teacher asked her to. When she refused, that's when the principal came in the picture and she started to get scared, resulting in getting caught for peeing in her pants.

I'm sure we all have peed in our pants once in a while by accident or got really scared without expecting it but the point is, the principal could have handled the situation better than getting the police in the picture. That was not really necessary because the police has something better to do by chasing the criminals and catching them instead of going to a school where a girl just peed in her pants. It's just my opinion.

And the other thing is - Why did the teacher ask her to wash the dishes at school? Don't they have the kitchen staff to do that job? If the teacher was teaching that girl about the living skills, and that it is in her IEP, then that'd be a different scenario. There's just something more to this story than we all are really seeing to it.

I'm sure we all have peed in our pants once in a while by accident or got really scared without expecting it but the point is, the principal could have handled the situation better than getting the police in the picture. That was not really necessary because the police has something better to do by chasing the criminals and catching them instead of going to a school where a girl just peed in her pants. It's just my opinion.

Yes I second that. It's not just scared but laugh hard as well.... I peed by accident sometimes when I laugh so hard.

And the other thing is - Why did the teacher ask her to wash the dishes at school? Don't they have the kitchen staff to do that job? If the teacher was teaching that girl about the living skills, and that it is in her IEP, then that'd be a different scenario. There's just something more to this story than we all are really seeing to it.

We don't know the reason why the teacher asked her to wash the dishes? It's my suggestion that's what I know from my sons's school...

At my sons's school, their teachers ask students to wash/tidy/clean things... Example: At cookery course, they wash or put dishes away to dishwasher or whatever after finish learn and eat... Also art course, as well... I think it's not too much to ask the students how to clean up things themselves? Its about learn how to help and respect.

One point, I find it's extreme to press the charge against a girl for crime. Is it crime to pee in pants? If they have problem with girl's behavior then check with her parents. If the solution doesn't work then inform CPS.

First, I agree that the situation should have been handled differently, and I think the school superintendent thinks so too, since he dropped the charges. But I also believe the principal when he says the child’s act was intentional. The school has probably faced this same behavior from the child previously (which would never be reported by the biased media), considering they probably would not have taken such drastic measures on a first offense.

Jolie_77 said:
Like you said, there is more to the story than the media is reporting. All children are capable of learning, but you can't have the same expectations for all children. We have no idea what this girls mental capabilities are. Maybe self-help skills are a part of her IEP. When I taught special ed. I had students who had to be taught to wash their hands, tie their shoes, make a sandwich, and yes washing up after a meal is a vital skill to acquire. For some children, completing such a task would be quite an accomplishment, not to be underappreciated simply because students in another classroom may be doing multiplication. How would you respond if your child were refusing to do math?

Liebling said:
One point, I find it's extreme to press the charge against a girl for crime. Is it crime to pee in pants? If they have problem with girl's behavior then check with her parents. If the solution doesn't work then inform CPS.
Unfortunately, many parents do not actively participate in their children’s education, much less their discipline. This is probably why our country is in such disarray these days, with criminals running amuck. Rebellious children often grow up to be rebellious adults. And, even more unfortunately, Child Protective Services are overwhelmed and are unable to tend to more serious issues of abuse, much less a case such as this.

I guess I was right after all, If I was a police officer I would never agree to charge that innocent girl with wetting her pants in school. I mean, come on please, man !!!!! What has this world really gone to ? :eek3:

I once peed accidently in school and my mom took me back home and my mom told me the next day to make sure to go to the restroom when I feel it... :P

Accidents happen.

First, I agree that the situation should have been handled differently, and I think the school superintendent thinks so too, since he dropped the charges. But I also believe the principal when he says the child’s act was intentional. The school has probably faced this same behavior from the child previously (which would never be reported by the biased media), considering they probably would not have taken such drastic measures on a first offense.

Since the charges were dropped, It is reasonable to only to know that the superintendent took it up in his actions to be able to get into the bigger picture to understand both sides and to find a way to resolve these situation.

If it was intentional, I still think the police should have not been brought into this but like you said, they (the school) wouldn't do that unless it was a last resort after repetitively encountering that same issue from time to time. Don't they have guidance counselor or some kind of counseling that is offered at the school for that? With that, when it is intentional, you know that there is something wrong and it might be something that happened at home or anywhere else. We don't know what happens behind the closed doors.

Like you said, there is more to the story than the media is reporting. All children are capable of learning, but you can't have the same expectations for all children. We have no idea what this girls mental capabilities are. Maybe self-help skills are a part of her IEP. When I taught special ed. I had students who had to be taught to wash their hands, tie their shoes, make a sandwich, and yes washing up after a meal is a vital skill to acquire. For some children, completing such a task would be quite an accomplishment, not to be underappreciated simply because students in another classroom may be doing multiplication. How would you respond if your child were refusing to do math?

I do realize that it is very challenging teaching a child with special needs whether it's about a simple task or a challenging task. Some task might get the children to be overwhelmingly frustrated. Sometime they have a hard time controlling their emotions, which leads to some actions or behavior that they can't have any control over. Like us, we might be able to control our anger or our tantrum but for them, they might know how to express it or don't express it but there's one thing I do know, they sometime act without being able to *think* ahead a step or two.

To answer your question about the math part - If my child was refusing to do math, I would be disappointed, yes but at the same time I would want to know why my child is refusing to do math. Is it because math is too hard on him or he easily gets overwhelmed by that and frustrations sets in? The point is, sometime frustrations gets the best of them and you can say they act out when they think it is OK to do so. Sometime we have to teach them what's right and what's wrong.

Back