Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard work and paitence pays off regardless of what device you decide on. Like you I had the same choice, Med El,Chochlear Americas, AB... I chose Cochlear due to a few different factor's:

1) My surgeon is the CMO of Cochlear corp ( obviously he knows the brand)

2) I like the look of the processor and the ability for remote access, and how it felt on the ear when worn.

3)Self curling eletrode's help minimize damage to the chochlea.

4)AB has had a recall prior. And Cochlear Corp has been in business the longest.

Yea, I get about 14+ hours a day of battery operation. With the rechargeable. I never really use the zinc air battery's unless needed in emergancy.

I have trialled the N. Recently, I was at Cochlear Europe to be a guinea pig for new audiologists to practice mappings using my ear/implant! they used freedom then N5, whoa, what a difference!, with freedom I can only hear whats behind me (i can hear infront but it's quieter) but with N5 I heard sounds from behind to front of me. I heard someone typing in the next room, it's also clearer too. Can't wait until I am eligible for the upgrade!!

I second this. For me the N5 was a good improvement over my freedom which is still my backup. The N5 has better microphones and zoom instead of beam on the Freedom.

deaffy -
im a hard worker but impatient, i will have to learn to be patient.... every person i have spoke to says the same point you made about putting effort in to reap the benefits. im takin time off work to work hard at audio rehab. im fortunate enough to be able to take time off.
deafgal- if ur in uk can u get ur upgrade very five years? how long more do u have to wait until you get your nuc 5?
nichola

its good that u can carry disposable battery if rechargable run out... im always forgetting batterys. i have so many handbags that id need to put a spare pack of battery in every bag.....
does wearing the implant bother any of you's?
i was very hung up about the apperrance . i kind of still am but if im getting better hearing , im sure i wont mind so much
nichola

Deafgal is in US

If you have brown hair, brown N5 will do the job, I have brown hair, brown freedom and no one notices. also N5 isn't much bigger than HA, also HA is beige right and is more noticable.

Wearing implant is like wearing HA without ear mold, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Thats why i prefer Cochlear is the choice of 2 batteries, currently I am using rechargeables and use disposeables when I travel and it's easier when I go camping or sailing, so i don't need to carry the rechargable unit or forget to charge them up.

over the pond- i meant to post that to you not deaf gal. sorry
if ur in the uk u get your upgrade every five years? when are u due upgrade. i dont get upgrades in ireland, but i sure will fork out the money when the newest thing becomes available.
nichola

I have no qualms with wearing the implant. For the first couple month's it took time to get used to the device inside for me to be able to sleep proper without really worrying. I also dont worry about the appearance it gives. There are million's of people who wear bluetooth. It's really not a huge difference in looks to that. The implant has to become a part of who you are in order for u to get the benefits off it. You cant just plop it on every so often. Everyday you will learn something new with the implant. So using it as much as possible is a big plus.:P

i have a question for anyone who would be kind enough to answer,
do u think that the implant is easier to deal with in group conversations or did u find it easier with hearing aid in group conversations?
nichola

do u use ur h aid in ur other ear? does this help ?
im for sure going with my bad ear as i feel i wont be losing out on so much.
nichola

The processor is in the range of $5000- $8000 usd I think it depends on who your surgeon is and what not.. Mine was $5k.. but the internal was $35k.

I do not use a HA in the other ear. I hear rather well with just one implant. Amplifying sound just does not work well for me. When I used HA I would be so tired everyday from trying to understand the garble that was comming in. I can only wonder what it would be like to be bilateral.

i have a question for anyone who would be kind enough to answer,
do u think that the implant is easier to deal with in group conversations or did u find it easier with hearing aid in group conversations?
nichola

Not a great deal, but it's better than with HA.

over the pond- i meant to post that to you not deaf gal. sorry
if ur in the uk u get your upgrade every five years? when are u due upgrade. i dont get upgrades in ireland, but i sure will fork out the money when the newest thing becomes available.
nichola

two and half more years, but newer techology might come out by then, who knows.

Group setting's can be difficult. Depending upon what sounds are around in the group setting. It can be done with some concentration. I can do ok with a small group but in bar's with bands going on it is almost impossible for me without some assitance with lip reading.

I am qualified for bilateral's but my insurance will only cover one. Which im very lucky the one I have is working out well for me. I have only heard out of one ear my whole life then suddenly went deaf. So on implant for me is pretty c lose to what normal hearing was like for me.. I dont mean like natural hearing because it is a bit different. But it's the closest Ive had in 10 years of being deaf.

Sorry no caption's I dont know how to add them. This is my small video on my Implant.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsN5vqLw6I]YouTube - Cochlear Implant: Nucleus 5[/ame]

do u use ur h aid in ur other ear? does this help ?
im for sure going with my bad ear as i feel i wont be losing out on so much.
nichola

I wear a hearing aid in the other ear and it works well with my implant. So It is an Bi-modal arraignment with my ears.

I have trialled the N5. Recently, I was at Cochlear europe to be a guinea pig for new audiologists to practice mappings using my ear/implant! they used freedom then N5, whoa, what a difference!, with freedom I can only hear whats behind me (i can hear infront but it's quieter) but with N5 I heard sounds from behind to front of me. I heard someone typing in the next room, it's also clearer too. Can't wait until I am eligble for the upgrade!!

Wow, I'm not very familiar with Cochlear implants, I have heard that N5 is the latest, is it available in US? I thought it is already out in all countries or may be I'm talking about something else.
Deafgal I hope that you get the van and the processor soon , how much do you need to pay out of your pocket for upgrades ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back