Getting CI- Confused not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

Mine was too. 90db loss all my life. I would have done just fine with HAs as I did just fine for about 25 years before I got CI. I heard about CI and thought it would be nice to have something different especially I kept wanting make my hearing aid louder and audiologist called me a loud junkie. I didn't really need CI though because I was doing fine.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Mine was too. 90db loss all my life. I would have done just fine with HAs as I did just fine for about 25 years before I got CI. I heard about CI and thought it would be nice to have something different especially I kept wanting make my hearing aid louder and audiologist called me a loud junkie. I didn't really need CI though because I was doing fine.

That's very interesting, so how do you compare your CI now to your hearing aid, did you say you have the CI for like 7 years? do you actually hear better with the CI, louder, speech better or not?
Yes I know the loudness thing, LOL, I'm too a loudness junkie :lol:

Wirelessly posted

It satisfy my loudness addiction:) some words are clearer for me than hearing aids and I can pick up more distance sounds when it is quiet. I do horrible in churches, performances
And background noises. I mentioned that to my audie for years and I even had an upgrade freedom processor from 3G. So she did her best with mapping.

Wirelessly posted

It satisfy my loudness addiction:) some words are clearer for me than hearing aids and I can pick up more distance sounds when it is quiet. I do horrible in churches, performances
And background noises. I mentioned that to my audie for years and I even had an upgrade freedom processor from 3G. So she did her best with mapping.

So you have AB implant, does this mean that the implant does not scan out the background noises, like for example I wear latest oticon hearing aids, they reduce the background noises better than older hearing aids that I used 8-10 years back, it seems that CI is like older hearing aids in background noises.

Wirelessly posted

No I don't have AB implant. I upgraded my processor. Not my implant.

Wirelessly posted

I just don't do well in background noise. They do have background filter in both 3G and Freedom processor. It may be because of the FM system I grew up with. When the teacher turn on the microphone, I was only allow to her only.

sometimes I hate the filter because I want to hear background noise (like music playing).

Last edited:
I am not really " advertising" but I feel compelled to say that The Cleveland Clinich Head and Neck institute, Did a good evaluation for me. They tested me with no aides then tested me with aides ( gave me 3 month's to adapt to the aides) then brought me back retested me with aides. They then began discussing more about the implants. For me it took almost 1 yr from the beginning process of evaluation to the actual surgery. I am late Deaf. Lost my hearing at 23 but was born deaf in left ear. Your situation seems almost like mine. I could talk some with Ha's they made lipreading alot easier for me. But without lipreading I could not understand a thing. pre- implant I was on a down slope from 90db -105db. The HA's helped but was minimal. Now with the CI I am hearing 500hz -20db on up to 10 db across the board. I am one of the lucky ones to be able to do this without any real therapy. I just watch alot of stuff on youtube and practice practice. Thought I would chime in here since our situations seem sorta alike. Oh and welcome to the board!:wave:

Wirelessly posted

so are you looking to upgrade your processor now to N5, is it going to help with the background noises, yes it is very hard to filter background noises for us hard of hearing, normal people are so good at it.
They should do upgrades for free, it's unfair that they come up with some new fixes and ask us to pay for it.

That's very interesting, so how do you compare your CI now to your hearing aid, did you say you have the CI for like 7 years? do you actually hear better with the CI, louder, speech better or not?
Yes I know the loudness thing, LOL, I'm too a loudness junkie :lol:

I used to have 95-120db loss and had worn hearing aids all my life, I say that having CI beats HA hands down, it gave me much more clairty, and I was able to hear the high frequenices for the first time such as like birds singing. I would say it is louder but at very comfortable level without blowing your ear drums out (such as if I turn up any more on my HA all I get was distorted sounds and my ear drums tickles with the vibration from the HA), I can hear speech better but not enough to understand without lipreading (FYI - I was deaf since birth and implanted at 30.5), although I do talk to my mum on the phone, can follow word to word with audiobooks/reading book at same time correctly, in my auditory therapy I get 70's without lipreading but in the real world, not at all. I find back ground noise difficult but it's better than it was with HA. I had my CI 2.5 years, it does help with lipreading greatly, helps me to enjoy music more.

I am not really " advertising" but I feel compelled to say that The Cleveland Clinich Head and Neck institute, Did a good evaluation for me. They tested me with no aides then tested me with aides ( gave me 3 month's to adapt to the aides) then brought me back retested me with aides. They then began discussing more about the implants. For me it took almost 1 yr from the beginning process of evaluation to the actual surgery. I am late Deaf. Lost my hearing at 23 but was born deaf in left ear. Your situation seems almost like mine. I could talk some with Ha's they made lipreading alot easier for me. But without lipreading I could not understand a thing. pre- implant I was on a down slope from 90db -105db. The HA's helped but was minimal. Now with the CI I am hearing 500hz -20db on up to 10 db across the board. I am one of the lucky ones to be able to do this without any real therapy. I just watch alot of stuff on youtube and practice practice. Thought I would chime in here since our situations seem sorta alike. Oh and welcome to the board!:wave:

H Deaffy, thanks for taking the time to answer my post, I've heard about a lot of good things about Cleveland Clinic, did they implant your deaf ear or the good one?, is that your implant in the pic, looks nice, so cute, what is it? Cochlear? I can't imagine them implanting the good ear, if this happens this must be so scary for you

Wirelessly posted

Fl885 said:
Wirelessly posted

so are you looking to upgrade your processor now to N5, is it going to help with the background noises, yes it is very hard to filter background noises for us hard of hearing, normal people are so good at it.
They should do upgrades for free, it's unfair that they come up with some new fixes and ask us to pay for it.

Maybe one day. Now isn't the time. We are looking at getting a new car because I keep taking van to the shop nearly every month.

hey everyone,
im nichola and new to this webpage,
deaffy im interested in ur ci experience, you say ur in and around the 10db range? this is amazing, what device to you have?
im due my implant in march . wud you think the implant has been a great sucess? i can see you seem to be one of the lucky ones....
nichola
ps how do i set up my own thread?

I have trialled the N5. Recently, I was at Cochlear europe to be a guinea pig for new audiologists to practice mappings using my ear/implant! they used freedom then N5, whoa, what a difference!, with freedom I can only hear whats behind me (i can hear infront but it's quieter) but with N5 I heard sounds from behind to front of me. I heard someone typing in the next room, it's also clearer too. Can't wait until I am eligble for the upgrade!!

Wirelessly posted

He have cochlear N5 implant. I have cochlear 24 implant

I have the Nucleus 5. I implanted my right ear as it had really barely any hearing left and I felt that Implanting that ear was a good idea since I had used the ear normally for 23 years and that I would have a better chance adapting to "sounds" easier with that ear. My left has been deaf all my life. The photo in my avatar is of my implant. My sig states when I received it and what not.

hey everyone,
im nichola and new to this webpage,
deaffy im interested in ur ci experience, you say ur in and around the 10db range? this is amazing, what device to you have?
im due my implant in march . wud you think the implant has been a great sucess? i can see you seem to be one of the lucky ones....
nichola
ps how do i set up my own thread?

Hi Nichola, I think I know you!! It is possible to reach 10db, I am at 20db in the high freqencies the rest is 30/35, and it's well within the speech range.

Oh it has surely been a success in my eye's. HA's distorted everything for me. Amplifying things just was'nt going to do the job for me. The CI is tenfold more clear than HA was for me. But the CI is just like HA were for me in other peoples situations. Each device suits a different person. I do consider myself lucky I thank my audi everytime in in for a new map for giving me the green light to get the CI. It has its con's too nothing is ever perfect. Ive got a piece of a computer permantly installed in my skull it's kinda a freaky thing when u really think about it. But it does have success's in peoples lives.

hi again,
sorry i dont remember many people as i have not been on this page in quite some time,
its good to hear your both doing so well, i am worried about group conversations, i know it wont be perfect but im afraid that getting the implant will make group conversations even harder..
i have the choice between ab harmony or cochlear nuc 5 , still undeceided, im going for a pre op on 15 dec... hopefully it will clear up a few things,
the ab recall is pushing me off board with going with ab,
thanks again for the replies
nichola

deaffy- im just wondering is that the compact battery on ur nuc 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back