Genealogy/family tree

I'm interested in geneology. There's a whole lot we don't know and all my grandparents are dead. It's possible that my bubbe from Kiev came through Ellis but she never wanted to discuss it with anyone and she died when I was 17. All we know there is she came to get away from the pogroms, when she was 11 with a bunch of other family, most of the whom are dead or we don't know where they are now. We think that side of the family bought a dead person's name to get here so we don't even really know my dad's last name. His sister had started doing some research and then she died. Less than that is known about my father's dad and even less known about my mom's side of the family - her mother was very mentally and physically abusive and may have had depression among other mental illness; my mother and her little sister were told often by their mother how much she hated them and wished they'd never been born, wanted them out of her house etc. So I never met her and she died when I probably about 10.

Especially when he was younger, many times people of both Native and not-Native background assume my dad to be of Native American descent.

He also gets particular scrutiny at airports; he was traveling with my mom once and she recalls how people really kept looking at him that particular time and he was pulled aside and taken somewhere where he had to take everything off - she was ignored altogether-

sometimes I do watch that show - think it's called, "Who Do You Think You Are?"

I'm interested in geneology. There's a whole lot we don't know and all my grandparents are dead. It's possible that my bubbe from Kiev came through Ellis but she never wanted to discuss it with anyone and she died when I was 17. All we know there is she came to get away from the pogroms, when she was 11 with a bunch of other family, most of the whom are dead or we don't know where they are now. We think that side of the family bought a dead person's name to get here so we don't even really know my dad's last name. His sister had started doing some research and then she died. Less than that is known about my father's dad and even less known about my mom's side of the family - her mother was very mentally and physically abusive and may have had depression among other mental illness; my mother and her little sister were told often by their mother how much she hated them and wished they'd never been born, wanted them out of her house etc. So I never met her and she died when I probably about 10.

Especially when he was younger, many times people of both Native and not-Native background assume my dad to be of Native American descent.

He also gets particular scrutiny at airports; he was traveling with my mom once and she recalls how people really kept looking at him that particular time and he was pulled aside and taken somewhere where he had to take everything off - she was ignored altogether-

I understand how that is, my aunt is like that. My aunt wish my 4 cousins dead. Well, it is not her fault. Because I believe it caused her to have mental illness and now she is agorphobia - my mother told me the horrible story about what happened to my aunt back in 1971 she had three children and she was about 8 or 9 months pregnant with 4th child waiting in hostipal room for check-up. My uncle was at work (she thought he was). She rests on bed and there was another pregnant woman lying on the next bed to my aunt. They introduced one another and they had a nice chitchat. I think the woman was about 7 months pregnant at the time, went to the hospital for usual check-up on baby. She told my aunt that her boyfriend is on the way to meet her at the hospital. The boyfriend of hers had arrived in the hospital to see her - my aunt saw him and was in very baffled state when the woman said hey and was happy to see her boyfriend. The man standing next to the pregnant woman was my UNCLE.
My aunt started to realize and found out....yeah my uncle had affair and had this girlfriend mistress pregnant. My uncle smirked at her and laughing at my aunt. My aunt went to this horrible screaming she stood up on hospital bed and screaming the whole hospital could have heard her. It caused her to have a shock labor. It was very sad for her to through like that. After giving the birth to baby boy (my cousin Jimmy whose has been disappeared since 2004), she filed for divorce. She remarried in late 1970s to my 2nd uncle Chuck and had 2 more boys in 1980 and 1982. My aunt loves my 2 cousins so much but she doesn't want to have anything to do with my 4 cousins from her previous marriage. No, I never met my 1st uncle. I only saw photos and home videos (including my aunt and his wedding in 1965) What he did...boy I have nothing to respect him. OH no, that's right I remember I was told that he was half Native Indian Cherokee! :( My 3 of 4 cousins have 1/4 Cherokee Indian looks. Light tan skins.

I still never forget at my cousin Laura's (my aunt's 3rd child) wake service in 2004, my aunt and my cousin Diane (my aunt's 1st child) had big fight in the next room. What my aunt said to my cousin was hurting my cousin's feeling big time. My aunt told her that she was glad Laura finally died and hope my cousin Diane and cousin David to be the next one to die. That was how I saw my cousin Diane wailed out crying so much in front of people at the funreal. It was real hard to deal how offensive my aunt made....she has this serious mental illness...post traumatic stress disorder plus some kind of schizenorphria (sp?) After the day of my cousin Laura's wake, my cousin Jimmy suddenly disappeared. We haven't seen or heard from him since.

Last edited:
They continue breaking the rules. There is still a problem with them baptising Holocaust victims. The sealing was not a baptism, so I guess they thought it was OK. I really don't care, because the more time they spend in their temples, the less time they have to play their other games.

I want to go to England to research my grandfather's family. He was the only European-born grandparent.

Another branch of the family in the 1850 census, they left "race" blank. That is an indication that they were Native. I have a bunch of dead ends, probably because of Native (and possibly other) ancestry.

Freed slaves who could pass for white would blur their history. That could also account for another dead end. It was much easier for people to disappear into the population then, than now.

My half-brothers are direct descendent of first cousin of Joseph Smith. My mother does use LDS Family Search, and yes, she found many errors, and was able to contact her LDS family members who put errors there. It is the only way to correct the errors is you have to order microfilms from the LDS Family History Library in Utah. The LDS Family History Library (headquarters) in Utah collects all kind of microfilms from all around the world. The church has been digitizing the genealogical microfilms for a while now. It also has a huge record vault in the mountain that have over 2.4 million microfilms. Her LDS family members depend on my mother entirely now because she is the only one who speaks Old Prussian/German, and read Old German writing style on microfilms, which is extremely difficult to read. It is enough to make your eyes blurry.

Many LDS members with no interest in doing genealogy don't know where to start it or can't read microfilms in different languages. Many LDS members just happen to have pedigree papers, and casually post it on the Family Search without researching it first. LDS church does not approve it the way they do their work.

LDS church had changed the policy since the Jewish holocaust victims incident. The current policy requires that you must provide the evidences that you are a descendent of your ancestor to perform them. If the evidence is insufficient, then you are not allowed to perform it. The problem is that before the policy is enforced, many records and errors on the Family Search online are still there. LDS Church urges LDS members to research it carefully, and gather physical evidences first. LDS Church has been trying to correct it, and in order to prevent it from making another mistake, LDS Church has decided to create another new website for LDS members only, because the website is Facebook style where you type your ancestor's name, boom! It tells you your ancestor's birth date, birthplace, etc, and, a new cool feature- it lists other LDS members who share the same ancestor. It allows them to contact each other to ensure with physical evidences (journal, photos,etc.) the ancestor's name, birth date, birth place etc are correct.

I start few months ago by ask from my family to other family. It's getting more complex lineup. I'm have headache for these. lol

But I enjoy to learn about my family

Barbaro;

Well, the sealing was done in Korea. Given the antipathy many LDS have for people with ancestry like mine, I wouldn't be surprised if many disagree with that action.

People who think that baptising their ancestors and indirect relatives will make their present lives better through some miracle have a screw loose somewhere. Geneaology has its uses, primarily as family therapy. There are some situations where we have no way of knowing what REALLY happened.

I am glad that they are making progress on accuracy.

Barbaro;

Well, the sealing was done in Korea. Given the antipathy many LDS have for people with ancestry like mine, I wouldn't be surprised if many disagree with that action.

People who think that baptising their ancestors and indirect relatives will make their present lives better through some miracle have a screw loose somewhere. Geneaology has its uses, primarily as family therapy. There are some situations where we have no way of knowing what REALLY happened.

I am glad that they are making progress on accuracy.

If the sealing was performed by a descendent, it is permitted.

Actually, their purpose is not to make their lives better through whatever it is. Their purpose is after it is performed, it is up to ancestor in afterlife to make her/his decision to accept it or not.

Their purpose is after it is performed, it is up to ancestor in afterlife to make her/his decision to accept it or not.
Yes. That is the doctrine, and the reason why I don't oppose it. The underlying assumption by some contributes to the fever in the activity.

I don't oppose it as well. I'm glad that the LDS church has been trying to correct it. I agree with that part where you said that "There are some situations where we have no way of knowing what REALLY happened."

I heard that the LDS church will cancel the sealing or baptism if any bad research does not provide sufficient evidence or it is performed in any inappropriate way.

I heard that the LDS church will cancel the sealing or baptism if any bad research does not provide sufficient evidence or it is performed in any inappropriate way.
Nice that it is an option for those to care. I am more concerned with those LDS who meddle in the lives of the living based on PROTECTED characteristics.

Nice that it is an option for those to care. I am more concerned with those LDS who meddle in the lives of the living based on PROTECTED characteristics.

I have met many LDS members who really don't meddle at all. I also met others who do meddle, and tend to get annoying.

Actually, I've seen LDS members clash each other over important issues.

PS: I think we should stay on topic of genealogy. ;)

Do you have your aunt's papers on her research? There are many jewish genealogy sites online.

You might want to read Arthur Kurzweil's "From Generation to Generation: How to Trace Your Jewish Genealogy and Family History". What I remember from reading that book years ago that some jewish society do print their own genealogy books and that men sometimes take their wife's surname when they got married. I don't recall the author going to LDS for some records.

Another thing you can do is summit your DNA or your brother's (for the paternal side as men have the 'Y' chromosome) for DNA test. Maybe you might find a DNA match online for either maternal side or paternal side. Good luck.

I start few months ago by ask from my family to other family. It's getting more complex lineup. I'm have headache for these. lol

But I enjoy to learn about my family

You are in for some fun times. A friend of mine didn't do any research because his father did all that. He didn't care for the researching. I had to tease him for missing out the fun and thrill of hunting down ancestors.

I am interested in genealogy! I did this for my parents and find out that my dad's father had a brother that no one knew about!! I was not about find a lot about dad as he was born in Russia in 1892 or some time around then. Dad family has no birth records. Dad tried to find out something about his village years ago but it was gone! My mom's mother was born Russia but she was living in London when she and her husband came to USA and I was able to find the ship manifesto that told where my grandmother lived in London and where she going , it like was read a very short story!
I also had to find when one of my mother's sister dies so we could put a stone
that cemetery. Mom was setup that her favorite sister was not buried with the rest of her family , so I did a research to find when my sister was born and dies so we could put a stone in front of her parents headstone. My mother felt better know that when she dies at least her sister's name would at the cemetery too.

I understand how that is, my aunt is like that. My aunt wish my 4 cousins dead. Well, it is not her fault. Because I believe it caused her to have mental illness and now she is agorphobia - my mother told me the horrible story about what happened to my aunt back in 1971 she had three children and she was about 8 or 9 months pregnant with 4th child waiting in hostipal room for check-up. My uncle was at work (she thought he was). She rests on bed and there was another pregnant woman lying on the next bed to my aunt. They introduced one another and they had a nice chitchat. I think the woman was about 7 months pregnant at the time, went to the hospital for usual check-up on baby. She told my aunt that her boyfriend is on the way to meet her at the hospital. The boyfriend of hers had arrived in the hospital to see her - my aunt saw him and was in very baffled state when the woman said hey and was happy to see her boyfriend. The man standing next to the pregnant woman was my UNCLE.
My aunt started to realize and found out....yeah my uncle had affair and had this girlfriend mistress pregnant. My uncle smirked at her and laughing at my aunt. My aunt went to this horrible screaming she stood up on hospital bed and screaming the whole hospital could have heard her. It caused her to have a shock labor. It was very sad for her to through like that. After giving the birth to baby boy (my cousin Jimmy whose has been disappeared since 2004), she filed for divorce. She remarried in late 1970s to my 2nd uncle Chuck and had 2 more boys in 1980 and 1982. My aunt loves my 2 cousins so much but she doesn't want to have anything to do with my 4 cousins from her previous marriage. No, I never met my 1st uncle. I only saw photos and home videos (including my aunt and his wedding in 1965) What he did...boy I have nothing to respect him. OH no, that's right I remember I was told that he was half Native Indian Cherokee! :( My 3 of 4 cousins have 1/4 Cherokee Indian looks. Light tan skins.

I still never forget at my cousin Laura's (my aunt's 3rd child) wake service in 2004, my aunt and my cousin Diane (my aunt's 1st child) had big fight in the next room. What my aunt said to my cousin was hurting my cousin's feeling big time. My aunt told her that she was glad Laura finally died and hope my cousin Diane and cousin David to be the next one to die. That was how I saw my cousin Diane wailed out crying so much in front of people at the funreal. It was real hard to deal how offensive my aunt made....she has this serious mental illness...post traumatic stress disorder plus some kind of schizenorphria (sp?) After the day of my cousin Laura's wake, my cousin Jimmy suddenly disappeared. We haven't seen or heard from him since.

Oh boy. If I were you, I'd want to :iough:

Do you have your aunt's papers on her research? There are many jewish genealogy sites online.

You might want to read Arthur Kurzweil's "From Generation to Generation: How to Trace Your Jewish Genealogy and Family History". What I remember from reading that book years ago that some jewish society do print their own genealogy books and that men sometimes take their wife's surname when they got married. I don't recall the author going to LDS for some records.

Another thing you can do is summit your DNA or your brother's (for the paternal side as men have the 'Y' chromosome) for DNA test. Maybe you might find a DNA match online for either maternal side or paternal side. Good luck.

Hmm, I'll want to look that one up. I have reason to think that some branches of my family were Jewish. I know that one brance was Jewish before the Church made them convert in the 14th century.

I did this for my parents and find out that my dad's father had a brother that no one knew about!!

My mother had thought that her paternal grandmother was the only child. I found it was not so. All of her siblings died young. The boys died before 3 or 4 years old and a sister lived to 12 years old. I am kinda glad that my mother knows this now.

I will ask my family expert how history family tree strong memory! they knew I don't remember figure out see!

My mother had thought that her paternal grandmother was the only child. I found it was not so. All of her siblings died young. The boys died before 3 or 4 years old and a sister lived to 12 years old. I am kinda glad that my mother knows this now.

My dad hated his father and dad much had hated his dad's brother as he never talked about him! There where 8 kids in my mom family and some dies in their 20's and 30's. I would love to know more about my dad's uncle , I have cousins
I never meet. That is good your mom know more about her family. I was surprised to find out I had an other uncle, my mom did not know about him!

Back