Gaza: Hamas bans motorbike rides for women

Just exercising more control over them, step by step.

And this is the biggest irony, Reba. We hear the shouts of "Equality!" here in the United States but when it comes to other countries who routinely oppress women of their rights and not see them as equals are suspiciously and hypocritally quiet.

And this is the biggest irony, Reba. We hear the shouts of "Equality!" here in the United States but when it comes to other countries who routinely oppress women of their rights and not see them as equals are suspiciously and hypocritally quiet.

difference is - while you're probably right about what's happening in here, at least we do not have laws targeted toward to gender like this.

Kokonut, as a male, you neither define feminism nor get to tell feminists how they are doing it wrong. Keep your misogyny to yourself.

Sally, I believe women are equal as men in anything they can do when it comes to freedom, liberty, jobs, and whatever else I haven't thought of. Nothing misogynistic nor condescending on what I said. It's what I believe. This isn't about feminism but about rights for both women and men.

Someone need to read Thomas Hobbes, John Locke... Jean-Jacques Rousseau... John Stuart Mill... and among others before inserting their opinion about people's approaches toward "other countries."

Maybe I'm not understanding your original post?

Do you mean that the U.S government should support rights for women internationally? If so, I'm all for that. The U.S. is the only western country that did not ratify the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women. That's pathetic.

I read your post to say feminists should stop the discrimination in other countries. That's what I have a problem with. If that's not what you meant, then disregard my comment.

I think that you meant to include another noun in there? It's not clear what you're saying.

Not just from U.S. govt, everybody. Condemnations are in short supply here.

It can't be that 'radical islamic sexism' plays a part in our decisions togoto war....it'sallpart ofthe whole ball of wax. so I don't see how we are hypocrits.
We also have tobalancethings with granting other countries thier 'soveriegnty'. We are not the rulers of the world...and we make enemies trying to overstep.
Diplomacy and cooperation with law enforcement agencies in such cases as sex slavery....and pimping/soliciting underage kids. A pet peeve of mine. Trouble is islamic regimes/countries don't want to cooperate if we try to intecede in thier religious rules.
I see them as very insecure men. Osama Been Hiden? insecure chickenturd.

With respect to our government, support for women's rights here or abroad has been sorely lacking. Not surprising when you consider the composition of Congress.

With respect to feminists, feminists get to define feminism and men don't get to tell us that we're doing it wrong. Your argument is illogical anyway. Feminists are always whining about sexism that doesn't exist. Feminists have the power to eradicate sexism and should be over in the Middle East doing something about sexism over there. The two statements are contradictory.

The main point is that feminists don't need your manly wisdom. As a feminist, I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind. Your lack of empathy extends to the entire female gender, apparently.

Someone need to read Thomas Hobbes, John Locke... Jean-Jacques Rousseau... John Stuart Mill... and among others before inserting their opinion about people's approaches toward "other countries."

John Stuart Mill is the only one I've read. I should check out the other writers.. I've read a bit of Bacon though his prose got on my nerves.

With respect to our government, support for women's rights here or abroad has been sorely lacking. Not surprising when you consider the composition of Congress.

With respect to feminists, feminists get to define feminism and men don't get to tell us that we're doing it wrong. Your argument is illogical anyway. Feminists are always whining about sexism that doesn't exist. Feminists have the power to eradicate sexism and should be over in the Middle East doing something about sexism over there. The two statements are contradictory.

The main point is that feminists don't need your manly wisdom. As a feminist, I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind. Your lack of empathy extends to the entire female gender, apparently.
I see it from a human rights issue just as I see it is very wrong for Iran, for example, to prosecute and execute gays for being gay as just as I see it is wrong to discriminate and prosecute women who refuse to wear the veil or other traditional garbs and instead choose to wear jeans, slacks or dresses. I agree with women who want those rights to decide for themselves and be seen as equals....not about the issue of men deciding on feminism! You're misreading this whole thing. I have 3 daughters. One like to wear jeans but refuses to wear a dress. Fine. My other daughter loves dresses and wear them. One like to wear a lot of make-up, the other does not. It was their decision and preference. Did I impose feminism values on them?

No.

It's better to have some support than none at all. I'm lending that support. Yet I get blasted for that.

Unreal.

People can probably have valid opinions on morality whether or not they are capable of reading and understanding these authors.

Sally, I believe women are equal as men in anything they can do when it comes to freedom, liberty, jobs, and whatever else I haven't thought of. Nothing misogynistic nor condescending on what I said. It's what I believe. This isn't about feminism but about rights for both women and men.

Yeah but women can do at least one more thing than a man-make babies. So in reality-men and women are truly not equal.

Kokonut, as a male, you neither define feminism nor get to tell feminists how they are doing it wrong. Keep your misogyny to yourself.

Oh boy, here we go-some people are just too sensitive. You must be a college student or maybe you just couldn't wait to use the word "misogymy". I must admit-had to google it-propbably will never hear or see the word again in my lifetime. I like the word catatonic but I'm still waiting on the right place to say or type it.

That's the difference, cdaigle. As long as our society does not support women's reproductive rights and accommodations for child rearing, women are not equal.

A man is not an ally if he says I want everyone to be equal but no support for government funded birth control and no mandated paid maternity leave. Women earn less for the same work and typically work in pink collar or lower paying jobs.

People can probably have valid opinions on morality whether or not they are capable of reading and understanding these authors.

Botts, I think it went over your head.... I wasn't recommending they should read those philosophers. Anyone can look up on Wikipedia to see what I was referring to.

I was referring to that people can't be accountable for what go in in another country based on the concept of "sovereignty." Anyone that accuse feminists of not making a ruckus about what is going on in another country shouldn't be accused of hypocrisy.

Souggy, you're missing the point. It's like a white person going to the NAACP and telling them what their agenda should be, or a hearie showing up here and telling the Deaf community what their agenda should be. A man doesn't get to determine what the feminist agenda should be.

Yes, feminists want to end sexism and violence against women in the Middle East. As you noted, there is a sovereignty issue. It's not like those countries are going to let feminists come in and start kicking ass (although I'd love that). It's also hypocritical and arrogant considering that the U.S. its own problems with violence against women. In our own history, married women were chattel and could not own property. Feminists have a lot of work to do everywhere.

Souggy, you're missing the point. It's like a white person going to the NAACP and telling them what their agenda should be, or a hearie showing up here and telling the Deaf community what their agenda should be. A man doesn't get to determine what the feminist agenda should be.

Yes, feminists want to end sexism and violence against women in the Middle East. As you noted, there is a sovereignty issue. It's not like those countries are going to let feminists come in and start kicking ass (although I'd love that). It's also hypocritical and arrogant considering that the U.S. its own problems with violence against women. In our own history, married women were chattel and could not own property. Feminists have a lot of work to do everywhere.

I am not missing the point at all since it was just my response to his post. He was wrong on two levels: telling a group what their agenda should be, and expecting people to go into another country.

I can't be representing feminists if I am not a female, so I can't debate for you. I am not a woman, therefore I can't define what they can or can't do in the international community or domestically, however I can point out the fundamental flaw in his post based on the political ideology that every American and Canadian has sworn to uphold.

Back