Gas

cady75 said:
Yea, the gas sucks!

:Last wednesday I paid 2.75..

I was driving today and I saw the prices were now 3.56!!!

I live in NY, so it is really high here!

AACK!

so I drove around until I found a place for 3.19, and filled up really fast even though it was only 5 gallons.

I have to drive 70 miles a day for work, so this is not good news for me at all!

What about train connection? Take train or bus is cheaper than use car.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
where do fertilizer come from? can I recycle the manure? :dunno:

Sure, do you know how to make fertillzer and what to do with it? Are you going to donate to Terry Nichols in the federal jail?

Liebling:-))) said:
well.. to tell you.. USA don't have train connections everywhere.. only major cities such as san franciso, chicago, DC, NY.. that's all i know..

also USA don't have Bus service EVERYWHERE only cities... small town like where i live only have bus service for disabilites. sooo.. and USA depends on far travels.. many of our families don't live close.. many students go thousand of miles to other college away from familes, etc..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
well.. to tell you.. USA don't have train connections everywhere..
also USA don't have Bus service EVERYWHERE only cities...
Very true. There is no train or bus service in my town. I have to use my car.

Sometimes Europeans have a hard time understanding the vastness of the United States. Everything in Europe is close by. Except for some cities, everything in the United States is spread far apart. Even our country is divided into different time zones. Our country is not "cozy" like Europe.

Train sucks

I wish! There is a train, but it arrives either two hours before work (at 5:30 AM) or right when work starts :)7:30), so that means I would either be really early or too late everyday. (And if I wanted the 5:30 train, I'd have to get up at 3 AM to catch it. Yeah right).

No, I don't have a choice at all. I have to drive.

I am planning to move soon!

Reba said:

Sometimes Europeans have a hard time understanding the vastness of the United States. Everything in Europe is close by. Except for some cities, everything in the United States is spread far apart. Even our country is divided into different time zones. Our country is not "cozy" like Europe.

Actually, Europe has four time zones, similar the US ;)

kuifje75 said:
Actually, Europe has four time zones, similar the US ;)

Yeah, but we're talking about individual countries here. Like England, for instance. It doesn't take as much time to travel in England as it does here in America.
Most people have been settled for generations near where they work and socialize. Roots run deep. Their cities were built for pedesterians and short distances (back then, nobody had cars, so everything was built closer together)

Americans, on the other hand, are much more mobile, our cities are still growing, our economy has not stablized yet (because America really is a very young nation- only 300 or so compared to England, wh ich is thousands of years old), and our infrastructure is very different. We always had the luxury of cars, so we could always just set something out there and know people could get there somewhow. Europeans did not have that luxury.

Hence, having a car and gas prices impact us much more as Americans.

It really depends. In America the land is HUGE, and open! Not like in Europe which they don't have much acreage properties like here. There are plenty of 200+ acres of land you could buy and own for yourself! So, this is NOT feasible having public transportation everywhere in America.
My case, there is NO public transportation to my work from my home! So, this leaves me limited choices.

Not really, America is the oldest industrial country. Sure England, Europe, Even china is much older than us, but we were first in many things, especially automobile. We started trains, airplane, motorcycle, etc. etc. etc right here in America, other countries copied from us, learned mistakes from us. Believe it or not, NYC has the world first subway! On other hand the culture, your right America is one of the youngest country on culture and lifestyle.

cady75 said:
Americans, on the other hand, are much more mobile, our cities are still growing, our economy has not stablized yet (because America really is a very young nation- only 300 or so compared to England, wh ich is thousands of years old), and our infrastructure is very different. We always had the luxury of cars, so we could always just set something out there and know people could get there somewhow. Europeans did not have that luxury.

QUOTE]

speaking of colleges, i wonder if more students are going to colleges nearby their homes than go out of state colleges because of expensive gas prices and air fare and bus fare and all

i wonder about the college LSU in NO, are there students trap in that school?

oh i got this from www.lsu.edu

LSU Establishes 24-hour Hurricane Information Center
LSU is operating a 24-hour Hurricane Information Center. Staff will be on hand to coordinate and assist media on campus and take phone calls from media, concerned parents, staff, faculty, students and members of the public concerning relief efforts on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge. Read full announcement >>

The following numbers will be answered by LSU public affairs representatives 24 hours a day:

Toll-free outside of the LSU/Baton Rouge area 1-800-516-6444
LSU/Baton Rouge residents please call 225-578-8654 or 225-578-4636
Information will also be updated on LSU's Hurricane Recovery & Relief Information Web site.

Information for LSU Students, Faculty and Staff

!LSU students are encouraged to contact their families
Academic Matters Related to Hurricane Katrina
LSU cancels classes until Sept. 6

September 2, 2005 10:10 AM

An open letter to UNO students, faculty, and staff:

We have all suffered a tremendous loss in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Almost all have lost property; many have lost homes; some have lost loved ones. On behalf of the University of New Orleans, I offer my deepest sympathy for your losses and my heartfelt encouragement for the hard work ahead of you.

UNO has suffered similar losses, and like so many of you, we are just beginning to locate our family, assess our situation, and plan for rebuilding our lives.

Aerial views indicate that approximately two-thirds of our lakefront campus remained above water, and we hope to have a more accurate estimate of our damages within the next couple of weeks. We will keep you updated on our progress via this web page. We plan to make electronic classes available in October, and we will open the main and satellite campuses as soon as possible.

UNO and New Orleans will survive this terrible disaster. But we must all help each other. Now, more than ever, we need to support each other and to remember who we are and where we came from. The spirit that made UNO and New Orleans such great places lives within each of us. That spirit not only has survived, it makes us stronger.

Sincerely,
Tim Ryan
Chancellor, University of New Orleans

DeafSCUBA98 said:
well.. to tell you.. USA don't have train connections everywhere.. only major cities such as san franciso, chicago, DC, NY.. that's all i know..

also USA don't have Bus service EVERYWHERE only cities... small town like where i live only have bus service for disabilites. sooo.. and USA depends on far travels.. many of our families don't live close.. many students go thousand of miles to other college away from familes, etc..

Yeah, I can understand what you mean.

We dont have train in area where I live but every 30 minutes bus connection. If I want to get train that I has to go to town which it´üs 3 miles from my area. We dont have metro in town but train.

Reba said:

Well, it´s not really.

I compare Gemany & Euro countries with England & Paris and would say that there´re more close metro, trains and bus in England & Paris than any Euro countries.

cady75 said:
I wish! There is a train, but it arrives either two hours before work (at 5:30 AM) or right when work starts :)7:30), so that means I would either be really early or too late everyday. (And if I wanted the 5:30 train, I'd have to get up at 3 AM to catch it. Yeah right).

No, I don't have a choice at all. I have to drive.

I am planning to move soon!

Yeah, I can understand what you mean. Your condition is similar to me...

If I want to get bus for go to work then it mean that I has to get up 4am to get bus to town and then wait for other 1 hour then get other bus to work... It´s stress that´s why I has to choose car which it´s only 15 to 20 minutes away drive to work place from my area which work time began 7.30am.

I thought about trains when you mentioned that you drive long miles to work place. I understand now. I would choose car instead of train because of save time.

cady75 said:
Yeah, but we're talking about individual countries here. Like England, for instance. It doesn't take as much time to travel in England as it does here in America.

Hence, having a car and gas prices impact us much more as Americans.

Reba seemed to be referring to Europe as whole, not individual countries. There is a country that spans two continents and many time zones, and that is called Russia. We also have China and Australia which are quite vast.

The super highway network was invented in Europe alongside with railroad networks. Germany has the Autobahn before US even had anything concrete to compare to as a super highway. Germans now could drive fast to other cities. Germans always had the luxury of BMWs and Mercedes at their disposition. The US just was able to make a cheap automobile model (Ford T model?) that more people could afford, but they could not really cross the country due to the lack of the super highway networks.

Even with no speed limit with the Autobahn, Berlin is still 5 hours from Mittelbayern (Central Bavaria). I don't think that Europe is as small as one might mistake it to be. I took a train from Western Germany to Paris, and it still needed an overnight train (6 to 8 hours) to arrive there. From London to the city of Preston was still over 4 hours. Imagine trying to drive from Dover, England to Inverness, Scotland! Probably would take more than 15 hours

You are right about one thing though; Europeans are no commuters. Sure, some people would live within the outside limits of major cities and commute by train to work and so on. The train network is quite excellent in Europe that it makes more sense to commute by train, subway or streetcars. I think that if the prices keep increasing here in the US, we might see a return of trains and streetcars in the US. We used to have them everywhere, but they died out in the 1940s and 1950s when the oil and rubber industries lobbied with the government to subsidise highways and cars.

I don't think that a country has been impacted by the rise of gas prices more than other countries. I think the impact is more or less equal everywhere. I remember 3 or 4 years ago when Europe was shocked with the rise of oil prices, that some of the governments decided to drop taxes to lower the prices and so on.

cady75 said:
We always had the luxury of cars, so we could always just set something out there and know people could get there somewhow. Europeans did not have that luxury.

Interesting, I as European see different than you. We feel that Americans make "luxury" themselves with the help from month payments, credit cards etc.

Europeans are not shape of luxury cars but house pride. All what they care of is enviornment-friendly, families and traveller. They don´t like waste of money and senseless. We don´t beleive to drive to where it´s only few minutes to WALK. Why can´t they WALK instead of drive the car which it´s only FEW minutes to WALK...? We (europeans) use bikes, walking.... we only need car for necassary.

Honestly, it´s hard for Europeans to understand why Americans prefer luxury cars to houses. We have many Americans around here in Germany. All what we saw is they use everything at once with the help from month payment and also use many credit cards, too to make themselves to be "luxury". We (Europeans) dont beleive to pay everything with month payment like Americans do. We do is save up to buy the car, furniture etc with cash, not use credit cards, month payments. Alot of German stores love to have business with Americans because they make them richer... :roll:

I remember some of Americans´s word: "Why should we save for long years to buy car, furniture?" or "I can have it what I want instead of save up for years" or "I like to feel comfortable to drive beautiful car". Most Americans love to drive German cars. They are upset to let German cars go because they can´t afford to ship German cars back to America after end of 2 years stationed in Germany.

I must say what I know from Americans for years where I work for US Army caserne that they could be senseless with money. I handle the invoices to pay utilities used where soliders & familes lives. My boss often told them to learn how budge the utilities because they used utilities higher than us (europeans). They open the windows to fresh air while the heaters are still on. :roll: They turn the water on then left to get something and let the water running for long. One of my workers who repair the electricity for their apartment and notice the water still running for long 5 minutes. He thought she forget to turn water tap off so he turned water tap off for her. Guess what? She complaint to Major how rude my co-worker is. My boss support my co-worker and show the major the higher bills. :roll: Is my co-worker rude? :roll:

Honestly, it has nothing do with "luxury" but mentaliy. I getting used it because I work with Americans for almost 20 years. I know their mentaliy as they know ours, too.

Remember, everyone have different mentality.

Last edited:
In the United States, it's all about sprawl and long commutes, they depend lot on cars and some people depend on bus and metro (heavy rail electric trains).
There's no stopping sprawl because generally it's cheaper to live outside the city and lot of families need room to play. Living in downtown or very dense areas are usually expensive than living out in the sprawling suburbs. Lot of people in the US don't like living in condos or highrise buildings with no room for kids or animals. Atlanta has one of the worst sprawl as far u can see, that includes Los Angeles and other metros around the US. They commute forever getting to work and back to home with their cars. That's typical american dream for most familes in the United States. Not much we can do about it and live on.

K75, your description over Europe is so prefect because you know the comparison between America and Europe.

I can´t compare anything because I never touch America in my life. I would say something if I know.

Germans always had the luxury of BMWs and Mercedes at their disposition.

Yes, that´s right. I began notice that there´re more of Germans use "mini" BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, VW now.

Back