Gas

Liza said:
No offense and y'all do have my sympathies about the higher gas prices, but how can you guys be worried about the gas prices at a time like this? :tears:
You know, you are right. I have been avoiding to debate with anyone about politics in New Orleans or aftermath of Katrina because of that and yet, I did these arguments in this topic.

From now, I back off from debating with anyone about politics that related to New Orleans or aftermath of Katrina. Thanks for 'wake-up' call ;)

diehardbiker65 said:
Hey everybody who thinks America needs to do better with public transportation. Here is the hard truth, Amtrak, the national railroad company that covers entire network of railroad in the America. They are LOSING money EVERYDAY, and that gov't have to step in and fund them. Amtrak's only profitable route is the Nor'Eastern corridor that connects from Bawsten and Washington D.C. Yes, the rest is LOSING money! So, HOW can they improve if they are losing money??? Back in early 20th century, America was attempting to have better network of public transportation, but guess what happend to them? Most of them were abandoned because of lack of fund! Sure we can ask Gov't to fund them, but that would mean sharp increase of taxes, will we accept that? I don't think so!

There is NO easy solution at this time! PERIOD.

Unfortunately, we do not have a public transportation from my hometown to my two jobs. It would be awful nice if they do establish. From my hometown does transport to Boston then change color rail to Framingham/Natick. It is very difficult because the train station to Group Home ten miles away. It seems impossible for me to take public transportation everyday to two jobs for me.

I wish, I could have a car pool. No one lives resident in this town where I live.

Exactly my point! Does it make sense to build public transportation just to transport `10 people a day? It is about cost, if the area don't have enough people who may need public transportation why shell out millions of tax dolalrs for them?

There was some bus service that has been cut off due to lack of ridership.
I dropped my jaw when I found out that average local bus MPG. Know what is the average??? UNREAL! Just three cute miles per gallon of diesel!
So, it really all depends on the supply and demand factor.

Sabrina said:
Unfortunately, we do not have a public transportation from my hometown to my two jobs. It would be awful nice if they do establish. From my hometown does transport to Boston then change color rail to Framingham/Natick. It is very difficult because the train station to Group Home ten miles away. It seems impossible for me to take public transportation everyday to two jobs for me.

I wish, I could have a car pool. No one lives resident in this town where I live.

I want to let you know a real quick. Today, a TV news reporter said that Exxon company already made 140 billion dollars PROFIT. Wow! Finally, we know that Exxon is the biggest ripoff in the history. Certainly, it is time to use other gas companies instead of Exxon.

Well I ain't gonna to Exxon no more.

Already in Memphis, I saw first Gas Station $3.14 and then other gas stations $3.09 and $3.10. Wow.

So since my mom's car is a Camry Toyota, and its gas tank can hold 14 gallon of gas....

So 14 gallon of gas x $3.09 = $43.26

So if I was to live in California, and own a Ford Explorer SUV with
21-gallon fuel tank... and their gas price is

So 21 x $3.19 = $67.03

"Oil prices surged on the possibility that oil and gas production would be interrupted once again."

What will happen if Rita hit New Orleans again?
Will the gas price go up to $3 or $4?

I guess I won't go to work, my excuse to not to work. :D

I am wondering if our government is using the oil/gas that came from Alaska, California, and Texas. It looks that that oil/gas is for the politicians for their own home and government buildings.

We, the people, only get oil from other countries, but not in our own country. Perhaps, it is impossible. What do you think that? (Remember, our government does not have to tell us everything what they do in our country, even it is Freedom of Act Information.)

It really depends on quality of crude oil. The best and easiest to refine into gasoline is from sweet crude oil. It is possible to refine gasoline from oil thats domestically, but not THAT easy. Usually there is specific needs from various grade of crude oil.
Gov't don't really have anything to do with oil! Its in free market business. Suppose the gov't decide to take over the control over oil, what do you THINK will happen? The chances are, those oil companies owners CAN say, "KISS MY ASS! Im Packing and moving out of business", thus American will not have any gas! They got enough money to get out of business practically overnight! Or even worse export the oil refinery job overseas, then those who work for oil companies can lose their jobs. This CAN happen, and gov't can NOT afford to let this to happen. Basically, Oil companies don't give damn, they all wanted is pure profit, period.

webexplorer said:
I am wondering if our government is using the oil/gas that came from Alaska, California, and Texas. It looks that that oil/gas is for the politicians for their own home and government buildings.

We, the people, only get oil from other countries, but not in our own country. Perhaps, it is impossible. What do you think that? (Remember, our government does not have to tell us everything what they do in our country, even it is Freedom of Act Information.)

Is this NET or GROSS profit? There is difference between these kinds of profits.

webexplorer said:
I want to let you know a real quick. Today, a TV news reporter said that Exxon company already made 140 billion dollars PROFIT. Wow! Finally, we know that Exxon is the biggest ripoff in the history. Certainly, it is time to use other gas companies instead of Exxon.

The only way to get gas price to drop is consumer cooperative, not gov't intervention! Suppose enough people agreed together and boycott, what do you think oil companies would react? It is NOT likely they will pack and move because they knew that doing this, with consumer being cooperative in boycott they lose BIG time!. Problem in America is that these Americans tend to EXPECT uncle sam to take over control! They do NOT want to have anything to do with them... What a sad!

diehardbiker65 said:
The only way to get gas price to drop is consumer cooperative, not gov't intervention! Suppose enough people agreed together and boycott, what do you think oil companies would react? It is NOT likely they will pack and move because they knew that doing this, with consumer being cooperative in boycott they lose BIG time!. Problem in America is that these Americans tend to EXPECT uncle sam to take over control! They do NOT want to have anything to do with them... What a sad!

I agree with you there. When heck freezes over, is the day that I expect Uncle Sam to take care of me. They tried that in the ole USSR and there was a saying that stuck with me forever..."Pretend to pay me and I will pretend to work!" Stealing was rampant all because nobody owned anything...it was all the state's and nobody care a whit. It is not surprising that corruption is still a big time problem over in Russia today. It will take decades to clean it up....

diehardbiker65 said:
It may be the first or second times that I agree with you. As I said in my previous post (in this topic, I believe) that common people have the POWER to change the industries & corporations with their moneys by not buying and/or boycotting.

But like what you said, not many Americans would acknowledge their power to change the industries & corporations in any way they want. In other words, they are digging their own graves. Sad eh?

And you now know and understand why I have been boycotting Wal-Mart for years. I don't like their policy so therefore I give them a fat 'middle-finger'.

hawaii's now on the GAS cap so we're now limited 50 cents max so we just got a NICE dip in the gas station due to hurricane jova coming 3.18 here instead of 3.98 last friday So thats a HUGE dip and more poeple running to the gas dang! so i like that!

Bullym0m said:
Do you think Gas will increase again because of RITA hurriance incoming?
frankly.. my fear is YES.....

i read somewhere in article saying they predict the gas price will increase if RITA destroys more oil refinarys in gulf coast.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
frankly.. my fear is YES.....

i read somewhere in article saying they predict the gas price will increase if RITA destroys more oil refinarys in gulf coast.

If suppose... Yes.. then I'll faint!

Shit! Not looking good! After checking everything out and I am NOT too happy about it. Can't deny there is good chance that there will be serious spike in energy cost. Only time will tell, we will know by this Saturday on what the effect would be. I think NOBODY is prepared for this double whammy.

Bullym0m said:
If suppose... Yes.. then I'll faint!

Last edited:
Friend of mine explained where the oil refineries are. It is NOT looking good! Most of them owned by Shell and Citgo. The oil refinery in Baytown, and is in flood zone! Meaning that they will get flood fast. So with Hurricane in the wake, there will be major flood in these refineries. That is a NOT GOOD SIGN!

Back