Gallaudet

Been there for one semester, it is alrighty. Not my style, I prefer NTID, because of RIT! RIT is well known name for university. Gallaudet isn't well known name, unfortunately!
This is not my saying that Gally sucks... It is just the way it is.

TTT said:
What is the purpose of having a college degree???

It's not just knowing a topic (ie a major) very well. It's also an indicator of what sort of education you've received.

TTT said:
Deaf people, counselor??? Who will they counsel who? Not much deaf people out there that need counsel, how will they get job as counselor or psychotrist or psychologist?? And they won't get much money doing that.

Actually, there's a lot of people who are deaf and need counseling. The fact that it's often not available without a terp (which defeats the point unless you absolutely trust the terp) is a serious problem. I know people (at RIT/NTID of all places) that complain because the counseling center is a joke (for both hearing and deaf students).

TTT said:
It would be cool if deaf people own stores and business in Washington DC or near RIT or CSUN... because if there are Chinatown, why not we have DeafTown???

A deaftown would be interesting. Added to the list of things to arbitrarily build at some point if I ever become ridiculously rich.

TTT said:
Because I don't know any Deaf CEOs or managers, or with higher position jobs....

There's plenty of deaf/Deaf individuals that aspire to be CEOs or managers. There's at least two MBA students on this forum, although in my case I'm hh.

TTT said:
And the salary is the same... Deaf people with college degree have
the same salary as the Deaf people without college degree.

Wrong... Deaf people without a college degree aren't likely to even be hired due to the hearing world being profoundly audist. It sucks, but the fact is that getting a good job if you're hearing almost requires a college education. If you're deaf, your application/resume would not even get a second glance if there's no college degree on it.

Heath said:
I have been to NTID before and I can tell you Rochester is a nice city if you are in the right areas and they may not have the same big city food resturants like in Washington DC but NTID is alots more safer than Washington DC that is for sure. :) :thumb:

Rochester can be really nice... But downtown is one of the scariest places I've ever been to. I would not feel safe in downtown Rochester unless I had both a nearby car (and a driver, since I don't drive), and a gun. The suburbs (ie Henrietta, Brighton, Greece, etc.) are pretty nice though. RIT is legally in Rochester but physically in Henrietta, if you didn't know.

Nesmuth said:
Morton Warnow of Modern Deaf Communication, Inc. has documented that Gallaudet University has one of the worst job placement rates for a deaf school.

Richard

I found stuff on that.

Those stories about Gally are scary. Remember those two murders there? :eek: At RIT, they publish a list of how many of each kind of crime was done each year. The number of serious stuff like murders are 0. I feel safe outside at night. I've gone to the trails in the woods many times.

If your resume has "Gallaudet" on it, interviewers will put it in a trash can.

Hello Royale, does his comment is true?

I think it will be very professionally if put "Gallaudet University" on resume, right?

I took a tour of Washington DC before and liked seeing the White House. It was nice. I wish Gallaudet was located in a better and safer neighborhood location. The city subway confused me because was I supposed to pay twice for a subway fare? I never seen that anywhere and I have rode many big city subways Boston, NYC and L.A. etc and the best subway I ever rode was Boston subway the " T " just avoid the red line and the orange line in Boston everything else should be okay. I liked the green line the best and the purple line goes into the surburbs more peaceful and awhole less crime.

I just pulled up the map of Boston subyway the " T " for old time's sake and now it is the silver line???? I have not been in Boston for basically almost 10 years now, since Deaf high school.

Boston is a nice city and also America's very first subway too.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp
MBTA

I have been to NTID before and I can tell you Rochester is a nice city if you are in the right areas and they may not have the same big city food resturants like in Washington DC but NTID is alots more safer than Washington DC that is for sure. :) :thumb:

It wouldn't happen about relocation, neighborhood that surrounding around Gally is used to be good in before 1950's when america suburb is booming and cause DC went decline in last few decade ago, however neighborhood around Gally has been improved today than in 80's and 90's.

Hello Royale, does his comment is true?

I think it will be very professionally if put "Gallaudet University" on resume, right?

That is bullshit. I was able to get a well-paid job when my resume contained Gallaudet University. The most important things are your work experience, skills, education and character.

It wouldn't happen about relocation, neighborhood that surrounding around Gally is used to be good in before 1950's when america suburb is booming and cause DC went decline in last few decade ago, however neighborhood around Gally has been improved today than in 80's and 90's.

Yes it is right. Last fall, I visited Gally with my good friends. We noticed that more and more white people lived around the campus.

Not always, night could be still bad in neighborhood of Gally campus , it's happens...

It is the best thing to have one or two friends with you when you walk in nightime in the neighborhood. During the daytime, you can walk on your own or with one of your friends.

That is bullshit. I was able to get a well-paid job when my resume contained Gallaudet University. The most important things are your work experience, skills, education and character.

U know, it is weird...during my time (the early 90s) most jobs only cared about the level of degree a candidate has..Nowadays, it is the degree plus the experience...competion out there is fierce as hell!!!

It is the best thing to have one or two friends with you when you walk in nightime in the neighborhood. During the daytime, you can walk on your own or with one of your friends.

I not afraid. I feel angels take care of me. I will keep new friend. :D I no worry.

I'd gone to Gallaudet because it was expected that I'd go. My parents met there and, without Gallaudet, I would not exist.

When I'd gone to Gallaudet (aside from my MSSD stint), I was easily distracted by the non-parent influence. I sought to fulfill my parents' experiences in their historical locations . . . and found that I couldn't.

There were many other issues that led me to believe that I had to leave the campus to fulfill my educational goals. I do not regret leaving Gallaudet. I do regret not being able to cope with that my parents advised about. They'd tried to prevent, leading to my niavette. My parents are good parents. I didn't catch fast enough.

Gallaudet will always be a Mecca to the Deaf. Unfortunately, Gallaudet seems to be catering to the future - the Cochlear Implant Industry's advantage upon hearing parents and influence that will bring many "hard-of-hearing" students. Gallaudet tries to adapt for the future while its role, in proving and defending the Deaf, seems to diminish.

Back