Gallaudet

Oakley_04

Reaction score
Has anyone went to Gallaudet University and didnt like it there?? I would like to hear why you didnt like it there at Gallaudet??

I know someone who went there and didn't really felt blended at Gallaudet. There is too many cliques. And didn't really like where Gallaudet was located in (D.C.) ..

ive never bothered to go to Gally myself -- went to MSSD then off to RIT instead -- im a DC area native and wanted OUT of the area for a while -- RIT fit that description VERY nicely!

One old friend said he went Gally for his fall semester as a freshman... didn't like the atmosphere there because he hadn't met one student that is ambitious to learn instead of partying..."No real conversations"
But he decided to stay one more semester (and because his transfer request fell through) and he suddenly loved the campus in Spring...

I am freshman at Gallaudet University. I really enjoy it very much. I am expecting to have 3.75 GPA with five classes. I am major into History Major. I played starter for Gallaudet Football as center. I involved three different organizations like, Campus Crusade for Christ, Gallaudet football, and SBG fellowship program. I am looking forward to join Kappa Gamma or Delta Sigma Pi Fraternity for next year, fall. I have seen lot things around Gallaudet University.

Gallaudet University has some Pro-s and Con-s. Do not think Gallaudet is a bad University. Many students went to Gallaudet for social life not for education. Only few students went for the education.

Pros-
Less than 75% staffs are good at ASL.
Strong deaf education program
Best B.A. Degree University around at D.C.
Beautiful Campus
Social and networking easily
If you have good time management then you will walk through Gallaudet, easily. In addition, you need to control your drinking and drugs (Recommended not to use any drugs)
Important part of pro- experiences and developing your life skill

Cons-
New students or transfer student always will have a non-credit math class. Only 5% of new students or transfer students will waived from non-credit math course.
Little rip-off with tuition fee
There are only few Christian and we are trying to expand it

**IF YOU ARE A PARTY HEAD OR SEXUAL ACTIVITY, AND YOU WILL EXPERIENCE LIKE THOSE ON LIST BELOW OF THIS**
55% of freshmen are party animals
Less than 35-55% freshman will withdraw from Gallaudet
Gallaudet outside area isn't very safe like other cities (robs you, rape, drugs and stealing cars)
Lot of Cocaine users at Gallaudet and expanding of hard drugs like shrooms, LSD, acid, etc
Heavily cigarette users at Gallaudet University
Marijuana is a popular drug at Gallaudet University
Too many sexual intercourse around on campus. I heard 75% of Gallaudet students affected with STDs and some sources said it is true statements.

If you have any questions and you can ask me on here or on PM.

Crazymanw00t said:
Less than 75% staffs are good at ASL.
Crazymanw00t said:
Only 5% of new students or transfer students will waived from non-credit math course.
Crazymanw00t said:
55% of freshmen are party animals
Crazymanw00t said:
Less than 35-55% freshman will withdraw from Gallaudet
Crazymanw00t said:
Too many sexual intercourse around on campus. I heard 75% of Gallaudet students affected with STDs and some sources said it is true statements.

Those percentages sound like they're really your personal perceptions. This isn't a statistics class. Please don't use numbers unless you have hard evidence or phrase it so you say it's your opinion.

I heard 75% of Gallaudet students affected with STDs and some sources said it is true statements.

BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! 75% had an STD at one time or another? Come on! That's just someone trying to scare the crap out of you from ever having sex. Follow your heart, if you want to abstain, I really do congratulate you, but don't let false rumors like this spread.

Now, to add content:

I never went to Gally, never saw the campus, had a few friends and acquaintences tell me good and bad things about it. I just decided it wasn't for me, CSUN fit me well.

Average SAT scores at Gally is 720? God help us all!

Dennis said:
BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! 75% had an STD at one time or another? Come on! That's just someone trying to scare the crap out of you from ever having sex. Follow your heart, if you want to abstain, I really do congratulate you, but don't let false rumors like this spread.

75% is a far-fetched percent, I'll say. But STDs/STIs also don't just include the HIV/AIDS, there are far many more that are easily treated. Anybody ever had the crabs?

lol

:bsflag:

oh, jeez.. and I have a bridge for sale in Brookyln.. anyone interested?

ANY college you go to will have potheads, coke fiends, cheap sluts and dorky gigolos. Any college you go to will have its share of classes that are way way too hard and way way too easy. Any college you go to will have pregnant students, doped out students, students who believe jesus is coming tomorrow, students that believe mohammed and rabbi scheerson is their prophet and students who are completely and totally atheiest, apathetic, involved, egomaniacal, sex-starved, and whatever other superlatives you want to put here.

Is Gallaudet any different than these colleges? No. You only think it is because Gallaudet is is under a microscope of sorts.

Do you think Gallaudet is any different today than it was 10 years ago when I graduated or even 100 years ago? Probably not. If anything Gallaudet is simply reflecting the state of American culture around it.

As with any other educational experience, Gallaudet will give you everything it promises if you put the required hard work into it just as RIT does, just as Harvard does, and just as Podunk Community College does.

Get off your high-horse and take Gallaudet for what it is: a university that offers almost-complete communication access for all deaf people.

Dennis said:
Those percentages sound like they're really your personal perceptions. This isn't a statistics class. Please don't use numbers unless you have hard evidence or phrase it so you say it's your opinion.

Now, to add content:

I never went to Gally, never saw the campus, had a few friends and acquaintences tell me good and bad things about it. I just decided it wasn't for me, CSUN fit me well.

Excuse me, please. You said you never went to Gallaudet and you are saying that I am lying with you with my stats. Remember I can't tell how many # but I can tell you by percents. 2003 Gallaudet Stats about STD was about 54% as I remember (It still high anyway). 2004 is like rising from 2003 to worst situation that Gallaudet will ever face. I support the statement with 75% with STD/STI on Gallaudet Campus because I have seen hitting on my friends. If I take statistic math, course and I will do this project to analyze the stats with whole information.

Conclusion: Every University have problems with sex, drugs, and crimes. You will never be able to aviod from those problems. Again, I am not trying to pull you to Gallaudet but I am giving you the info.

Last edited:
Banjo said:
75% is a far-fetched percent, I'll say. But STDs/STIs also don't just include the HIV/AIDS, there are far many more that are easily treated. Anybody ever had the crabs?

lol

To answer your question 5% of Gallaudet Students infected with HIVs/AIDs.

Brian said:
http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/GU_c.html - y'all can see why Gallaudet University isn't a worth college to attend!

Well, in some ways I support that statement. Well, with your comments about, "y'all can see why Gallaudet University isn't a worth college to attend!" I believe your comment were very negative and should not be mention.
Gallaudet University is a great school for deaf world. Remember this, only less than 35% of Deaf-American can read and write. Less than 15% Deaf-American have ability to be leadership for others. Very less than 30% of Deaf-American has not experienced deaf culture. As I said, Gallaudet is best for B.A. Degree University to attend. Gallaudet have weak MA program and I recommend anyone to go to different from Gallaudet University for MA program. If you have not experienced the Deaf Culture then Gallaudet University is a best place to take chance of it.

Conclusion: If we decides to push the limit, score acceptable enrolls for Gallaudet University. Therefore, Gallaudet University will not exist, anymore.

TTT said:
Gally is okay but stay away from the wrong people...
If you pissed them off, they will hold a grudge
against you and make your life miserable.

If people bad mouthed you or whatever,
or ain't treating you right.
stay away from them...

If roommates are bad, demand the advisor
to move you away... even though you
move many times, it is not right to pay rent and
have to compromise with evil roommates.

Always be around nice good people, and
don't make enemies. :thumb:

I support your statement. You can talk with wrong people but do not involves with them.

Crazymanw00t said:
As I said, Gallaudet is best for B.A. Degree University to attend. Gallaudet have weak MA program and I recommend anyone to go to different from Gallaudet University for MA program. If you have not experienced the Deaf Culture then Gallaudet University is a best place to take chance of it.

Conclusion: If we decides to push the limit, score acceptable enrolls for Gallaudet University. Therefore, Gallaudet University will not exist, anymore.

:wtf:

OK, I'll concede that some of Gallaudet's BA and MA programs are weak. They do, however, have strong reputations for their social work, psychology, audiology, and linguistics MA program. On the other hand, I'll tell you that Harvard, UPenn, Stanford, Columbia, and <insert your college here> have very strong reputations for their medical colleges.

Does that mean that every doctor that graduates from these medical schools is actually a good doctor? Likewise, it doesn't mean that every person who graduates from Gallaudet with <insert degree program here> MA is NOT a good practicioner in their field.

Sweeping generalizations about any school, deaf or hearing, are 99.99% unwarranted.

You are right and I said I recommends. Reasons for my recommend; better repubation, challenge, experience, etc. Again it is my opinion.

Back