Gallaudet

But, Liza, what about what Reba and Sabrina said?

Liza said:
My friend, having graduated from Gallaudet earlier this spring, moved to California. He met this gally dropout, and said he had gone to gally. The dropout assumed my friend also dropped out-- so he tried to do a high 5 with him, giving him the up thumb sign-- "Oh, we both fuck Gally! Yay!" In that energy. But.. my friend gave him a very odd look: "Huh? I graduated just this spring. What are you talking about?" Haha

Truth? I don't like how some people are bashing something based on just hearsay-- just because some people didn't like their experiences at gally, doesn't mean others share that sentiment. Just go and see for yourself, and be assertive with your needs being met! If you don't like something, just speak out to the right people and see if they CHANGE stuff for you. Works for me. There is a lot of intelligent individuals at Gallaudet who do work hard and graduated, other than the ones who party like hell. Why are those partiers getting a lot of focus, and not the ones who do succeed at this particular university? Are some of you just pessimists? :ily:

I understand, Liza..but these people are talking about people who have transferred to Gally from another college and their credits was not acceptable? another person said that his/her credits was not transferred to another college...so what gives? thats the whole point here....

Defee said:
I understand, Liza..but these people are talking about people who have transferred to Gally from another college and their credits was not acceptable? another person said that his/her credits was not transferred to another college...so what gives? thats the whole point here....

While I'm not fond of Gallaudet myself, it's not the fault of either college if credits aren't accepted. If you transfer to another school without ASKING someone in charge if your credits will be accepted, you're outta luck. The student needs to be assertive enough to CHECK first before jumping ship and assuming any of their credits will be accepted.

I earned AP credits and took some community college courses while still in high school -- I checked with my advisors prior to accepting my college of choice to ensure that they were transferrable. AP credits got certain credit requirements out of the way, the other courses were subsitituted for other classes, and I started as a true freshman halfway to sophomore-dom.

CHECK FIRST -- and get in WRITING that they'll be accepted, it sucks to get a verbal "yeah, don't worry about it" and then later getting screwed over.

That said, Gallaudet has other problems beyond playing credit games -- namely weak teachers and a "deaf power" obsession syndrome. Where's the love for hard of hearing non signers?

Emerica said:
Gally is ninth grade level :shock:

oh really ? are you sure its 9th grade level ?
well, I thought it's 3rd grade level...

Come on. Be fair to Gallaudet. It's not entirely the staff's fault that their reputation is "9th grade level" they do accept students who aren't entirely up to snuff academically and spend their entire time partying, AND STILL get degrees.

My experience at Gallaudet wasnt like many of u posted. I learned so much at Gallaudet, my teachers expected a lot from us, and were strict about missing class.

I also graduated from Arizona State so I have a good college to base my comparisions. I felt I got more support at Gallaudet than I did at ASU but education at both colleges were good.

It's already getting old for us to hear any bashing against Gallaudet Univ., friends! Where is your respect? hmm

Hey, how about bashing those community colleges or such likes? (hmm)

Whoever bash against Gally or any other, it often starts within himself/herself who has the problem accepting it by bashing or looking down.

Then please respect any colleges, universities, community colleges, vocational trainings, etc... also don't buy others' stories or even judging on anything unless you eyewitness it for yourself.

It's great to have many diversified educations for such different people to choose and attend thus advancing by the way, like it or not.

At last, be polite to answer according to dmarenz's questions about Gallaudet.

I have a couple of questions I need answered. I've been thinking about applying to Gallaudet for next year.
Good luck to apply for Gallaudent.

Is it true that Gallaudet is the only four year university for the deaf?

YES.... Gallaudet is the only four year university for the deaf. Also, they offer post-graduate program (deaf or hearing student) for Master or higher degree.

I was MSSD Student at Gallaudet campus. They have 3 different schools on the campus (Kendal, Model Secondary and Gallaudent). All 3 different schools are deaf (HOH) programing.

Yes, Gallaudet is Liberal arts which require 4 years or more.
That's our time in 1970's. Higher number of new students are "Prep" (pre-freshman). I have no idea today --- still same follow as 30 years ago.

Gallaudet is liberal arts - Bachelor degree
NTID is part of trade school "Technology" - up to 2 years program - Certif or Diploma or AAS degree
RIT is Technology (very little Liberal Arts) - up to 4 years program - up to Bachelor degree

Some students transfer from college to other college. They have two different system in Fall/Winter/Spring Quarter(s) VS Fall/Spring Semester. Some college accept to take recently credits. Not long time ago.

Big pain in the neck is English and "junk" general study.... Most any college may not accept Deaf English and "junk" general study from NTID or Gallaudet.

If anyone been to Gallaudet or is attending, how is it?

Many of my friends went Gallaudet. Some complete courses or transfer to other college or drop-out. (I believe that Prep (pre-freshman) is part of waste a year at gallaudent.)

No matter which.... love or hate or be patient to complete all credits to grab BA/BS degree from gallaudet include signed "stamped" from President of the USA

What are the dorms like?

Who care....
Some nice, some ugly. Just important your things in your room and sleeping. You will won't live there forever.

More information at http://admissions.gallaudet.edu/catalog/07-08/UG_07_Campus Life.pdf

Are the teachers supportive and nice towards the students?

Depending.... What are you good student or goofy student?
If you are excellent student/serious student as good follow up. Staff will enjoy with you.
If, you are goofy student then... that is your problem!!

Has anyone from the White House or anybody like that visit Gallaudet?

Why you ask question "anyone from the White House visit at Gallaudet"?

Will you expect to meet (Obama or Mc Cain) President of the USA? Still very very hard to meet President. Most USA President visited at Georgetown University, Geroge Washington University and Catholic University. Gallaudet is less important.
Last time, Bill Clinton visited at Gally. Pat Nixon visited at MSSD. Only 8 President of the USA visited Gally since 1870.

Widow (Sadat) of President of Egypt visited at Gallaudet campus.

Usually other famous people actors/music/writer/senate/goveror/famous or very important person from other countries visited at any big major college/university.

Do not get jealous....
I met President of the USA (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Clinton). I saw few Bush family & relatives but refuse to meet All Bush's family member. I am photographer for Press. Most of them were outside from DC. Just met Richard and Pat Nixon in Wahington DC.

I know 3 photographers work(ed) at White House.

I'm aware of some ADers said Gally don't accept many credits from other college, even many college don't accept credits from Gally as well, that left me in no choice.

I was planned to attend community college then will transfer to university in my state and transfer to Gally when become quality for FAFSA and VR support without need approve of my parent or guardian's income, I'm going sticking with university until graduation due credit transfer issue at Gally.

I'm concerned about graphic design or IT companies wouldn't want hire me in near future if I'm graduate from Gally due accreditation and education level issue, that will be very biggest waste for me if I use loan for entire of enrollment, around $80,000 to $100,000 in debt, I don't want happen like that, no way.

[sigh]

I'm Gallaudet student

It is bullshit that Gally is all bad.:roll:

Lazy students and dropouts always said bad things about colleges and universities.

I know it, I had been there.

Please do research before you decide, Gally may have majors that others don't have or not.

I go to Gally because it have a major in ASL and REC.

I'm Gallaudet student

It is bullshit that Gally is all bad.:roll:

Lazy students and dropouts always said bad things about colleges and universities.

I know it, I had been there.

Please do research before you decide, Gally may have majors that others don't have or not.

I go to Gally because it have a major in ASL and REC.

I am beginning to suspect the same thing..

Everyone I know who has graduated from Gally has both positive and negative experiences with it.

Well, I don't care what you think about Gally. This University is not worthy what you feel about University thing. I hope many University need to be good teacher and situation. I hope!

Gally that financial Aid help me alot and understand why VR not support me. I have 4 part of grant. I thank God! But I have eight thousand left. Not too bad! I have SSI and SSDI so far and still keep going. :)

I watch real careful how I feel about teacher. No strict at students. :) I keep let you know how well in Gally. I hope all teacher, staff and etc are doing well.

Good luck to apply for Gallaudent.
This thread is 4 years old...I wonder if he went to Gally or not?

Personally, I love Gallaudet. It feels like home to me. :)

People whine about Gallaudet a LOT. Personally I don't understand it...every small school has its problems...big schools have them too, but they are better at hiding them.

silentcougar, hey your major is REC! lol! my major was REC too! cool!

yea iknow people seem has 2 way to talk.. like 2 faced.. rme!

but to me about gally.. it great place to stay and enjoy DC to see!
most important of all is to have major what you want then you wont be left or feel sad or blah....... it will lead you happy until get degree and you will be fine after that

darkage
wow ! what a long "explain" you say! that excatly!! yup! but cool you are photographer! lol! congrat that now you feel like you are famous youself! :D bec you got that experience!

This thread is 4 years old...I wonder if he went to Gally or not?

Personally, I love Gallaudet. It feels like home to me. :)

People whine about Gallaudet a LOT. Personally I don't understand it...every small school has its problems...big schools have them too, but they are better at hiding them.

As you can do what you want in your heart or dream come true. Then go to Gallaudet. I proud of you!

Last Fall, my friend encourage me. I had dreams five same times. Wow! I saw about I will graduation future. This is what I vision will be. Vision mean future. God gift and want me go. Because I can do it. :D

If you have dream come true, then you can go. :)

silentcougar, hey your major is REC! lol! my major was REC too! cool!

yea iknow people seem has 2 way to talk.. like 2 faced.. rme!

but to me about gally.. it great place to stay and enjoy DC to see!
most important of all is to have major what you want then you wont be left or feel sad or blah....... it will lead you happy until get degree and you will be fine after that

darkage
wow ! what a long "explain" you say! that excatly!! yup! but cool you are photographer! lol! congrat that now you feel like you are famous youself! :D bec you got that experience!

I agree with that. I will go Gallaudet freshman in August 20. :D I will leave August 19. ;) :D

darkage
....but cool you are photographer! lol! congrat that now you feel like you are famous youself! :D bec you got that experience!

Sorry... Off Topic.

You are not only one... Lot deaf & hearing people said to me, "lucky to have nice experience from press/media".
If, you do not know any deaf photographer.
Yes, they have another deaf photographer at major sport events. He is luck to have wonderful experience at many places.
Deaf Sports Photographer Has Large Clientele | DeafNation

Last edited:
Sorry... Off Topic.

You are not only one... Lot deaf & hearing people said to me, "lucky to have nice experience from press/media".
If, you do not know any deaf photographer.
Yes, they have another deaf photographer at major sport events. He is luck to have wonderful experience at many places.
Deaf Sports Photographer Has Large Clientele | DeafNation

He real good photographer and very skill well! He enjoy alot and fun.

Back