Gallaudet

dmarenz

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions I need answered. I've been thinking about applying to Gallaudet for next year.

Is it true that Gallaudet is the only four year university for the deaf?
If anyone been to Gallaudet or is attending, how is it?
What are the dorms like?
Are the teachers supportive and nice towards the students?
Has anyone from the White House or anybody like that visit Gallaudet?

I've e-mailed them and I don't get straight answers at all. So if anyone would reply, it would be much appreaciated!

:ty:

Gallaudet is the only college that all undergraduates must be deaf or hard of hearing. There are graduate programs available for hearing people, though.

There are other colleges that support a large population of the deaf -- Rochester Institute of Technology in NY and California State University Northridge in CA are two other universities off the top of my head, BUT you can always find a college with smaller populations of deaf.

Just about every state has a college that many deaf people go to -- Missouri University (Mizzou) has about 10-15, UMSL (Univ Missouri @ St. Louis) has about 10, and that's just to my knowledge in the local uni's.

Ask around to your preferred major colleges! Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UCLA, etc. do have some deaf students and provide support. Pick the college that offers the best degree and you'll never regret it!

Ask specific questions at http://gallaudet.dailyjolt.com/forum/ - somebody may know what to answer.

If this is ok with Alex to post this link here.

I think before anyone can answer your questions, I think you should do a tour first at Gallaudet and do your research from various sources (ie. is gally really the only university for the deaf in the world? etc etc). See if that is really all that. Set your own value on it. You sure you considerin' other universities that have deaf folks, too.. like CSUN, RIT, etc?

I'm a Gallaudet graduate. :)

I don't know how to reply to your questions since I've never been to Gallaudet. However, I do have friends who transfered to RIT/NTID from Gallaudet because they were uncomfortable there. Gallaudet costs more than RIT/NTID. Gallaudet may be the only college with a 4-year program, but is it worth it earning it at Gallaudet? You're better off doing research at BOTH colleges for better answers.

You said that you emailed them and didn't get straight answers. Are you saying that they did reply, but not in a way you expected? What questions did you ask them and what did they tell you?

Liza said:
Ask specific questions at http://gallaudet.dailyjolt.com/forum/ - somebody may know what to answer.

If this is ok with Alex to post this link here.

I think before anyone can answer your questions, I think you should do a tour first at Gallaudet and do your research from various sources (ie. is gally really the only university for the deaf in the world? etc etc). See if that is really all that. Set your own value on it. You sure you considerin' other universities that have deaf folks, too.. like CSUN, RIT, etc?

I'm a Gallaudet graduate. :)

I agree with Liza here, and that education come first. I've told many people that if they want to party, then go to a nightclub because it'll only cost you a few bucks per night while an university would set you back around to 10,000 to 25,000 dollars per year depending on what the conditions are.

I'm not saying that you are a party animal, but I have to be blunt with young people who are interested in going to universities because it does cost the taxpayers a large sum of money. Just put education first, which I hope is your primary intention. :)

I've hear that gallaudet isn't much of an university like other universities, and is more like "high school" so maybe they are strict about your lateness to classes, no talking in classes, no sleeping in classes, etc...whatever like that but thats' just my opinon after all I've never been there but I have a "friend" who went to RIT and said it's pretty good and very useful...lots of hard work is required and non-stop learning and endless hours of study and taking exams, etc...so RIT is actually harder but would be very useful for you to be a total gensis or whatever like that lol

I hear that galludaet doesn't do alot for you and lets you do whatever you want, but they should give you more than you want...not less than you want, you know? so thats why I hear that RIT and the other university in calforina is much better than the one we are talking here....from what most people tells me though

Let me speak out what I believe and give out my perspective...I used to be Gallaudet University student before I transferred to other university. OK, dont think I am against Gallaudet but I loved and miss Gallaudet but Education no! Gallaudet is best for deaf socializing and all bullcrappin. But I MOST enjoyed from Gallaudet is socializing this is all...I dont enjoy my learning from their educating method really profits me nothing. But if it profits you then good for you but not me...I was thankful I graduated from hearing university with awesome deaf program it is because it helped me and taught me how to socialize with deaf and hearing people balance to understand their perspective.

Thanks for your replies and your help.

I have contacted Gallaudet and RIT, but I'd get 'those pick-us booklets and go onto our site' comments. I asked them basic questions like what kind of academics, teachers, support, things to do, fiancial aid, but no I haven't done a campus tour at Gallaudet. I've done a campus tour at RIT, which was really nice, but it's not for me. I have considered other universities that have a deaf population.

I was raised to believe that education doesn't stop in high school, and I do want to graduate with a college diploma. I have heard that Galluadet is like another high school who lets their students do whatever, and it's not for those who want a serious college direction. I'm not a total genius though; just a person who works hard for her grades. If Gallaudet doesn't provide the college importance, I can look elsewhere.

These are some very sexually explicit smilies here.

:dizzy:

Nesmuth said:
Steel add 'zoo' to the "high School" and you got Gally.

Richard
That is so sad. When the college was founded it was created by godly people with high goals for Deaf students. :(

Reba said:
That is so sad. When the college was founded it was created by godly people with high goals for Deaf students. :(

Reba, it is obviously true...Gallaudet isnt only one...it do applies to Havard and Yale University as they were orignated by godly people too...

Reba said:

Yeah that and other organizations found by godly people and allowed themselves to be fallen into the hands of corruption like WRAD, GLAD and many others.

Richard

BigSpike said:
Reba, it is obviously true...Gallaudet isnt only one...it do applies to Havard and Yale University as they were orignated by godly people too...
That's right.

Yes, Gally isn't the only party school out there. Lots of hearing students are slackers or partiers, and even loads of so called "Ivy League" schools have party reputations for crying out loud!
I have considered other universities that have a deaf population.
That's an important thing to consider....not all disabled student services can provide really good dhh services.
You could always try Gally for a semester or two and then if you don't like it, you can transfer somewhere else that has a high population of Deaf students.

I have a Deaf friend who attended Gally for two years, then transferred to a local two-year college. Absolutely none of his credits transferred from Gally. He had to start all over again. :(

Reba said:
I have a Deaf friend who attended Gally for two years, then transferred to a local two-year college. Absolutely none of his credits transferred from Gally. He had to start all over again. :(

A friend of mine who took courses to earn the credit 32. She transferred to Gallaudet. Gallaudet Admission Office do not accept her credits 32 from other College. She has to taken the classes all over again. She was so pissed off.

I do not like Gallaudet system. I like RIT better. I am very impressed because the teachers emphasized the students to make sure that they understand what they were talking about. The teachers are really care about the students to encourage them to be successful in their career.

I will be at RIT in Feb 28th to March 4th and (maybe) June 20th to 24th. I am looking forward to the workshop. I really enjoyed to learn so much new technology every year. The teachers are awesome there !

http://www.rit.edu/diit/general.htm

My friend, having graduated from Gallaudet earlier this spring, moved to California. He met this gally dropout, and said he had gone to gally. The dropout assumed my friend also dropped out-- so he tried to do a high 5 with him, giving him the up thumb sign-- "Oh, we both fuck Gally! Yay!" In that energy. But.. my friend gave him a very odd look: "Huh? I graduated just this spring. What are you talking about?" Haha

Truth? I don't like how some people are bashing something based on just hearsay-- just because some people didn't like their experiences at gally, doesn't mean others share that sentiment. Just go and see for yourself, and be assertive with your needs being met! If you don't like something, just speak out to the right people and see if they CHANGE stuff for you. Works for me. There is a lot of intelligent individuals at Gallaudet who do work hard and graduated, other than the ones who party like hell. Why are those partiers getting a lot of focus, and not the ones who do succeed at this particular university? Are some of you just pessimists? :ily:

Back